Performing a Full Reset of Cable Modem with Battery Backup
Edited by Batkingnz, Lynn, Eng, VisiHow and 1 other
It's always an inconvenience when you lose your connection to the internet. If you're lucky enough to have a cable connection you can enjoy speeds above that of regular ADSL2+, but if your modem has a backup battery built in, it also means an extra step for you when you need to reset your connection. Below we will instruct you how to perform a full reset on your cable modem, one of the first steps to troubleshoot a dropped connection and usually the only one necessary to get back online.
Resetting An Arris TM702G On Time Warner Cable
- 1If you have TEL1 and TEL2 lights then this means that your modem has an internal backup battery.An easy way to check if you have the Arris modem with backup battery is to look at the lights on the front of the modem.Advertisement
- 2Begin by turning off your modem and your router and removing and power adapters.Advertisement
- 3Because the modem has backup power, you will notice that the TEL1&2 lights are still on.
- 4On the bottom of the modem you will see a latch opening. Use your finger to unlock the latch.To fully reset the modem you will need to remove the battery.
- 5You can pull the door toward you and remove the battery.You will now see the battery door.
- 6You can now power up your equipment again and test your connection.Once the battery is removed, wait for 30 seconds before putting it back and reattaching the latch.
Resetting A Webstar DPX2203 On Optimum Online
- 1Begin by turning off your modem and router and removing any power adapters.Advertisement
- 2You will notice a rotating foot. Turn this counter clockwise and you can then remove the foot.Look at the bottom of your Webstar modem.
- 3On the side of this is a sliding lock. Push this in to the unlock position.Now look at your battery back.
- 4Leave this disconnected for 30 seconds before sliding it back in to place, locking the modem and reattaching the removable foot.You can now slide the battery pack off from the modem.
- 5You can now power on your equipment and test your connection.
Resetting A Motorola Surfboard SBV5220 On Comcast
- 1Begin by turning off you modem and router and removing any power adapters.The Surfboard modem is one of the most user friendly when it comes to removing the battery pack.
Tips, Tricks And Warnings
- When reconnecting your equipment, you should always do this in sequence. So power up your cable modem first and wait for the lights to come on before powering up your router.
- It can take a couple of minutes for your modem to sync to the network. The same goes for your router so be sure to give them some time when you're waiting to test your connection.