Manually Block Website Without a Software
Edited by aianne b., Eng, Melsan, Alma and 3 others
Some websites are not safe for browsing. Some can infect your computers with viruses, and add a lot of pop ups that slow down the performance of your computer. Many websites are not children friendly because they contain adult material - either sex, or violence, neither you want your child to experience. Parents are not always around to supervise their children. Software that enables you to block certain websites are costly. This tutorial will teach you how to block websites without using software or applications.
- 1Open My Computer >> Click Windows >> Open the folder "System32".
- 2Open that folder.Locate the folder named "Drivers".
- 3Locate the file named "Host".
- 4Right click it and select "Open With"
- 5If standard file extension assignment is still active, simply click the "Host" file then a window will appear. Just select "Notepad".Select "Notepad" to open the file.
- 6Look at the example belowJust beneath the line "127.0.0.1 "Localhost" you can add the site you want to block.
Hit "Save" and that website will be no longer available.
- To unblock the websites you've previously blocked, just delete the URL of website you'd like to unblock in your "Host" file.
Alternate Way to Block a Website
This alternate way of blocking a website depends to the DHCP server that you are using; to be exact, your wired or wireless router. Some routers have a feature to block certain websites to prohibit users any access to it. This feature is pretty much like parental control in that it can block either IP address or its domain name server.
To find out a website's IP address, you need to ping it;
- PC - Command Prompt (Windows).
- Mac - Utilities.
See the screenshot below for an example for finding a website's IP address.
Tips Tricks & Warnings
- If you want to add additional sites to be blocked, just hit your keyboard "Enter" key, and add 1 to 127.0.0.1.
for example: 127.0.0.1 localhost
- If you have websites blocked for any reason other than above manual blocked method, you need to unblock them using the blocking app that blocked it. i.e. if you have a firewall blocking a site, then you need to reset the firewall to unblock it, you cannot use the above unblock method to unblock it. The same is true if you have a parental lock on sites, you need to use the app that put the parental block to unblock it.
Questions and Answers
How to unblock website in computer?
How to unblock website in computer, e.g. Facebook is not available.
Blocking some websites can be a useful tool for parents trying to control their children, and it can be useful for companies that want to restrict the access to websites to keep staff working hard. Sometimes people block a website on their computer, and they later don't know how to unblock it, don't remember how they blocked it, or find the entire process very confusing.
By following these steps you can unblock Facebook and other blocked websites:
- 1Click on the start button.
- 2Select Run.
- 3Type ' C:\Windows\system32\drivers\etc' in the 'Open bar'.
- 4Click on 'OK'.
- 5In the opened file you should see a file named 'Host'.
- 6Right Click on the 'Host'.
- 7Select 'Open With'.
- 8Click on 'Notepad'.
- 9Scroll down to the bottom of the text.
- 10For example directly under 127.0.0.1 localhost you will see 126.96.36.199 www.facebook.com. Therefore, to unblock Facebook, you should erase this entire line.Under "127.0.0.1 localhost", erase the IP and the address of the blocked website.
- 11In Notepad, go to "File Tab", select "Save", and then close it.
- 12Open your browser.
- 13Now the blocked sites should be accessible to you.
To block a website you can read the main article and follow the instructions. You can access to the main article by clicking on the title of this page. If you have any problems with these instructions, or if you have any additional questions, let us know in the Q&A section.
In our place, we can't use Facebook, so I want to be able to use it.
Blocked website? In our place we can't use Facebook so I want to be able to use it!
VisiHow QnA. This section is not written yet. Want to join in? Click EDIT to write this answer.
Categories : Websites
Recent edits by: Jacob, bonabana, Alma