Make the Perfect Pumpkin Pie
Edited by Deepthi Gottumukkala, Eng, Maria Quinney, Lynn and 4 others
For a Thanksgiving feast or Christmas dinner, or when you just want an overall healthy dessert, pumpkin pie is a must-have. Pumpkin is one of the more healthy types of pie that you can create. With the many different spices and the overall high vitamin A content in the pumpkin, creating a dessert from this substance makes good sense any way that you look at it.
Pumpkin pie can be created in a wide variety of ways, each of which afford some health benefits - and it's a sweetmeat which both young and old will savor and enjoy! You can make this delicious pie with the following easy steps.
- 11 cup all purpose flour
- 21/2 teaspoon iodized salt
- 31/3 cup margarine or butter
- 1In a large bowl, combine flour and salt.
- 3Sprinkle the mixture with cold water, one tablespoon at a time until the dough holds it shape.
- 5Transfer pastry to the pie plate, leaving a 1 inch overhang.
- 6Fold overhang under to make a stand up edge.
- 1can of pumpkin (2 cups)1 15-oz.
- 21 can sweetened condensed milk
- 32 large eggs
- 41 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 51/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 61/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1Preheat the oven for 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
- 2In a medium bowl, combine the pumpkin, sweetened condensed milk, eggs, ground cinnamon, ground ginger, ground nutmeg and iodized salt until the mixture is smooth.
- 3Pour the mixture into the prepared crust.
- 4Bake it for about 15 minutes.
- 5Reduce the oven temperature to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- 6Continue baking for 35-40 minutes more, or until a knife inserted 1 inch inside the pie comes out clean.
- 7Place on a wire rack and let it cool.
Spiced Whipped Cream
- 11 cup whipping cream
- 1Chill a small bowl for about 15-20 minutes.
- 3Gradually add the sugar, one tablespoon at a time, while continuously beating.
- 4Finally, add the ground cinnamon until just well blended.
- 5Once the pie is cooled down, you can pipe the spiced whipped cream on top, however you want it to be piped.
- 6You can dust it with more cinnamon, if you prefer.
- Fresh ground nutmeg is always better other than the pre-ground store bought variety of nutmeg.
- For a faster way of whipping cream, place it in the refrigerator to cool for about 10 minutes before whipping.
- If you can't find any canned pumpkin, you can always make your own version. Just boil a good amount of diced pumpkin (enough to make 2 cups of mashed pumpkin). Mash the pumpkin and let it cool. (The procedure is just like for mashed potatoes).
Note: Photos above are just sample brands on the ingredients. This does not mean that the same brands are needed in preparing this recipe. You can always change things according to what you prefer.
The pictures are just sample photos on how to execute a certain procedure.
Questions and Answers
Do you know how to make pumpkin pie from a real pumpkin?
I grew a lot of pie pumpkins in my garden this year and I want to know how to turn them into old-fashioned pumpkin pies.. I have tried: I have only made pumpkin pie from canned pumpkin puree in the past.
VisiHow QnA. This section is not written yet. Want to join in? Click EDIT to write this answer.