Make an All Natural Body Scrub Exfoliate with Sugar vs Salt vs Oats ... and 1 more
Edited by Rebecca Kelsey Sampson, Doug Collins, Eng
Body scrubs are some of the easiest natural beauty products to make because the possibilities are endless. In this wiki, I will show you several different ways to exfoliate your skin naturally so that you can get baby soft skin.
Exfoliation is great for peeling away old layers of skin, leaving you softer, but is also good for maintaining an even tan, getting a deep clean, and for shaving prep.
All of the below methods are easy to follow and can be used to make a simple or elaborate scrub by just adding a few ingredients. Adding essential oils, for example, can make any scrub feel more luxurious or store bought.
General exfoliation tips:
- Body exfoliation can be messy, so I recommend doing so naked in the shower (with a hair catcher on the drain to catch debris if you have a shower that clogs easily) for easy cleanup.
- Only do scrubs once a week or your skin will feel raw from repeated use.
- If you have sensitive skin, test each scrub on a small area of your body first to check for possible irritants.
Method 1: Exfoliate with Sugar
Sugar is the perfect exfoliant because of its fine texture. It's so fine that it can also be used on the face.
- 3I like to add a cap full of vanilla and a few drops of essential oil to my scrubs, but that's entirely up to you.Essential oils like orange or other citrus scents work well in sugar scrubs, as well as vanilla extract to add a warmer scent.
- 4If you used an oil then your skin doesn't need any additional moisturizer after the shower.Once you've created the desired consistency and smell, rub in circles over your skin in the shower (preferably on wet skin) and then rinse off.
Method 2: Exfoliate with Salt
If you want a tougher exfoliation experience, salt works wonders as it really gets into those stubborn dry spots (like your elbows).
- 1Then, pick your oil. You can use canola oil, almond oil, sesame oil, coconut oil, anything you'd like. If you plan on using essential oils to change the scent, use a blander oil that won't have an already overpowering smell.Pick your salt, you can use any kind of salt like table salt, sea salt, or Epsom salt.
- 2In a jar, add equal parts oil to salt or use slightly more oil than salt (depending on desired consistency).
- 4Use in the shower weekly in circular motions over the skin, rinse off as usual.
Method 3: Exfoliate with Oats
If you have sensitive or inflamed skin, oats provide a very gentle anti-inflammatory exfoliation. However, make sure to have a net (for catching hair) in the drain of your shower when using this scrub, as oats can clog shower drains.
- 1In the shower, take a handful of oats into the palm of your hand.
Method 4: Exfoliate with Coffee
To add a subtle glow and add antioxidants to your skin, coffee is perfect.
Now you know how to exfoliate your skin easily and naturally. I can't even remember the last time I bought a store bought exfoliator because these simple DIY scrubs work so well.
- Main article image from The Chic Site and their DIY citrus body scrub.
- The orange vanilla scrub recipe is from my personal lifestyle blog.
- The lemon salt scrub image is credited to Vanile Verte.