Make a Side Ponytail
Edited by Saira, Lynn, Eng, Mian Sheilette Ong and 10 others
Method 1: with the Twist Technique
Today I will show you how to make a side ponytail. It's very easy and all you need is a hair tie. I already have wet waves as you can see. If you would like to learn how to get a 'wet waves' look click here [] Let's begin.
- 1 Steps
- 2 Video: Make a Side Ponytail
- 3 Instructions
- 4 Ways To Make Your Side Ponytail Look Even Better
- 5 Tips Tricks & Warnings
6 Questions and Answers
- 6.1 How can you spice up a side ponytail?
- 6.2 Do you wear side pony same as fringe?
- 6.3 How to make a side ponytail more stylish?
- 6.4 How to make a low side up do with a veil?
- 6.5 Wedding side dos?
- 6.6 Classy side bun hairstyles?
- 6.7 I would like to do the curled side ponytail but not in a bun. How do I do it?
- 7 Comments
- 10Make sure everything is tucked in. Once you secure the relaxed side ponytail you may want to make sure all the strands are tucked in. As you can see I have a left over strand here that I would like to have pinned up. I am going to leave a little bit of bangs, and tuck in the rest. To tuck this strand in I'm going to twist it first then push it into the loose hair on the backside of my head.
- 11Hide the hair-bow. This step is optional. If you would like to hide the hair accessory, you take a small strand of hair out of the hair-bow and wrap it around the hair tie. The strand should be large enough to cover the hair-bow. Then once you reach the end of the strand you just tuck it into the hair-bow.
Video: Make a Side Ponytail
Method 2: Formal Side Ponytail in a Clip
A side ponytail is a flattering finish to a formal outfit for any classy gathering. You can wear this style to a homecoming, corporate dinner, or wedding. The side ponytail is a versatile hairstyle that is appropriate for any age as well. Below are some variations that you can consider in making your formal side ponytail with a hair clip:
- 1Side ponytail's base is behind the ear with the tail forward over the shoulder. You can place the clip on top of your ponytail's base.Advertisement
- 2Side ponytail's base is in front of the ear with the tail over the shoulder. The clip could be positioned behind the base of the ponytail. Consider a beaded, flowered, or feathered clip.
- 3Side ponytail that has a zigzag pattern. You can position a small studded clip near the base of the ponytail, or insert accents in the ponytail.
- 4Side ponytail with a fringe. It can be a full fringe or a side swept fringe. The clip can be positioned at the base of the ponytail.
- 5Side ponytail made with high volume sides or crown. The volume gives more drama to the entire look. You can place accent clips along the base of the ponytail or along the back of the head.
- 6Side ponytail with a sleek crown and sides. This is a very structured look that's perfect for corporate meetings. You can place a small accent clip near your temple or around the base of the ponytail.
- 7Side ponytail that has combined curls or waves. This would be highlighted with small floweret clips in between the waves at the top of the ponytail's base.
- 8Side ponytail with a tail made of straight and thick strands. This will work well with a studded clip or band around the ponytail's base.
Method 3: with Long Hair
A side ponytail is really trendy and can be turned into a night hairstyle or a casual day one. If you have long hair, the best way to start is to have hair shampooed and combed well. Hair that has already been blown dry, works well, especially if it was dried during the drying process.
- 1Gather most of your hair to the side of the head, keeping your natural part or sweeping to whichever side makes you more comfortable. (To add a bit of fun to the side ponytail, you can take a small chunk of the hair from the top-front area of your head and make a braid to add to the ponytail.)
Ways To Make Your Side Ponytail Look Even Better
- 1Put in a small amount of slick gel or mousse before beginning, applying it from the shaft to the ends. This will help the hair stay in place and make it look smoother.
- 2After finishing, there might still be some unruly hair left on top. Two ways to get rid of that is to apply hairspray over the hair and comb it inward, or use bobby pins to secure the hair and prevent flyaway hairs.
- 3This hairdo can be accessorized with a fancy hair tie that features a bow clip or a design. You could also put a clip on the side of the hair opposite to where the ponytail has been made. Pins and clips or bows will give it a bit more of a personal touch. (More suggestions on how to create a formal side ponytail can be found below.)
- 4The ponytail can also be held in place by braiding a small section of hair, and using the braid to wrap around the ponytail, securing it with a bobby pin. This gives a polished look to the ponytail, and it appears the hair has been tied with the knot and not with a hair tie. In this style, a hair ornament can also be added to the ponytail to give it a formal touch, especially for evening events.
Method 4: with Extensions
Side ponytails can also be extended or made thicker through the use of clip-in, or clip-on, ponytails. These can be permanent or temporary ponytail extensions. Side ponytails can also be transformed into chignons, loops, twists, and side buns for more classic or formal looks.
These days, side ponytails can also be customized with the use of wet sets, hot rollers, or curling irons. Various accessories can be used on side ponytails such as jeweled or studded clips, bobby pins, ponytail holders, headbands, and combs. Elastics like Bungee or blax can also be used to hold them in place. If you have highlights or low lights, a side ponytail is an excellent way to show off your hair's different shades. To achieve these different looks for side ponytails, you have to make use of items like concentrators, large barrel curling irons, large plate flat irons, bristle brushes (100 percent boar), hot rollers, styling creams or sprays, long tail combs, shine serums or sprays, and/or sculpting hair sprays.
Method 5: with Straight Hair
This Ponytail Style Requires Sleek, Straight Hair.
- 1Start by sectioning your hair at the crown, and then start twisting your hair. You should twist it until it is twisted from the top at the crown to the end. Secure it with a hairpin. Now grab the other untwisted section of your hair and twist it in the same direction. That way you will have one big twist that starts from the top of your head and continues down the back of your head. At the nape of your neck, tie your hair into a low ponytail. This ponytail style looks best with wavy hair that's loose and textured.
- 2At the base of your head, pull your hair back, covering your ears and make a low ponytail. Wrap your ponytail with a lock of hair and secure its end with a hairpin, but make sure to put it underneath the ponytail to hide it. Start fishtail braiding about two inches of your ponytail, then tie it with an elastic to hold it. Wrap a lock of your hair around the elastic to hide it and secure it with a hairpin.
- 3Take a rectangular section of your hair from the top of your head, ending at your crown. It will be easiest to make the two straight lines that start from the arch of your eyebrows. Clip the section to hold it for now, then tie the rest of your hair into a tight and high ponytail that sits in the center of your head. Take the top part of your hair, and divide it into three sections to have two on each side of the rectangle, and one at the front. Starting with the front section, you will tease it with a brush, and then roll it with your fingers into a large cylinder and secure it with a hairpin.
- 4You will do the same thing with the other two sections, but while you are pinning them, pull them apart a little to make them blend with the front roll. Now you will take the ends of your rolls and add them to the ponytail, and wrap the elastic that's holding your ponytail with a hair strand and secure it with hairpins. This hairstyle requires straight hair.
- 5Make a loose high ponytail; you need it loose to have some volume on the top. Pull up your ponytail and tease it for extra volume, and then pull it forward until the top of your ponytail reaches your head. Pin the top part of your ponytail that reaches your head, which will give you the illusion of a highly lifted ponytail. Start pinning the loose tail to the back center of your head, and when you are done, you will have a half topknot, half ponytail. You can use colored hairpins for a funky look, or use black hairpins. This look works best with wavy textured hair.
Method 6: in a Curled Side Ponytail or Bun
Curly Side Ponytail
You need small and big pins and a fancy clip to make a curled side ponytail bun. If you don't have curly hair, curl it first with heat rollers or a curling iron.
- Comb a section of hair on the top of your head toward the side you'll have the ponytail. Secure it out of your way, for now, using the fancy clip at the top of your head.
- Comb all the remaining hair over to the side and secure it into a ponytail.
- Now unclip the hair you've set aside on top of your head, and comb it down to the ponytail, wrapping that section of hair around the base of the ponytail to cover the elastic you've secured the ponytail with.
- Use a small pin and to secure the ponytail.
- If you have thin or fine hair, you'll want to secure the ponytail with something pretty, but not your own hair. You'll need all the hair you have collected in the ponytail to make it thicker.
Curly Side Ponytail Bun #1
Curl your hair first either with a roller set, heat rollers or a curling iron.
- Gather the ponytail, twist it or roll it up to make a bun.
- Use 2 to 4 big pins to secure it the bun. (finer hair requires less pins) You'll know it's secure when it doesn't jiggle too much when you move your head.
- If the shape of the bun is a bit off or lopsided, use small pins to secure and reshape the bun.
- After making a curled side ponytail, add the fancy clip at the top of it to make it look fabulous and elegant.
Curled Side Ponytail Bun #2
You'll need to have many pins and a hair elastic. The hair must already be curled to achieve this effect.
- Gather all your hair and put it on the right side or left side.
- Using your hair elastic, secure your hair with it to make a side ponytail.
- Gather the ponytail and roll it up. You can twist it first, and then roll it up for a different look.
- Using your pins, secure the bun.
- You can leave your hair like that or you can add a clip with gems on it to make your side curled ponytail bun look prettier.
Tips Tricks & Warnings
- For casual side ponytails, you can just casually wrap with a hair tie to pair it with your favorite sundress.
- An elastic headband can also be added to give a more "preppy" effect to the hairdo.
- The side ponytail is totally in fashion and can make a rather stylish statement.
- Although keeping some of the hair back, to wrap around the ponytail is a very elegant and sleek look, it's not recommended for fine or thin hair, as it will make the ponytail itself too sparse.
Questions and Answers
How can you spice up a side ponytail?
Don't limit you ponytail hairstyles. Explore different ideas and use your imagination. The best way to know which ponytail hairstyle suits you best and highlights your features would be to try various styles, and find out what most appeals to you. Some quick ideas for different ponytails:
- High Ponytail. Bunch your hair together at your crown, and secure it with a hair tie, scrunchie, etc. You can use other accessories on top of the tie; let's say fancy ribbons or clips.
- Low Ponytail. This is one of the most common types if your hair isn't very long. Tie your hair back at the nape of your neck. Some people pull the bunch a bit sideways so that the remainder of the hair falls off and over the shoulder (if longer).
- Low Ponytail with Mid-Twist. You will need a hair hook here. Follow the directions for a low ponytail. Stick the hair hook into the middle of the bunch. Pull the loose hair onto the hook and then pull the rest of the stick down. This should basically loop in the rest of the hair, creating a nice twist on both side of the ponytail. If you don't have a hook, imagine the ponytail is doing a summersault through the hair, above the elastic. Split the hair above the elastic, and push the ponytail through the split, until the ponytail comes out underneath hiding the elastic and creating twists in the sides.
Do you wear side pony same as fringe?
You can wear it on the side you prefer and that makes you feel comfortable. You can choose to wear your fringe on the same side as your side ponytail, or you can wear it on the opposite side. It is up to you; whatever makes you feel more beautiful. If you look at actresses with side ponytails, they choose either side. If you have long side bangs, you can create a different look by wearing your side bangs on the opposite side of your side ponytail. The opposite side bangs will help you frame your face, while putting focus on your ponytail.
You can wear a side ponytail same as fringe, it depends on how you like it. It can be same side, opposite side, straight bangs/fringe - whatever you want and what works best for you. it will look perfect no matter how you present it. So choose and experiment what style is the best for you.
I'm going to disagree. If you do a search on side ponytails, you'll notice almost every single image has the fringe or bangs, blending into the ponytail. In other words, same side is best. The balance is much more aesthetically pleasing, and if you comb your bangs or fringe to the side where there is no ponytail, there is nothing for the bangs/fringe to blend into.
How to make a side ponytail more stylish?
You can do more styles in your side ponytail if you have a longer hair. Here are some stylish side ponytail ideas.
- The Rope Braid Side Ponytail. Comb all your hair to the side to make a side ponytail. Secure it with an elastic hair tie. Take the ponytail and section it off into two pieces, and twist each section. Twist both sections in the same direction. After twisting both sections, wrap the two sections around each other in the opposite direction and after wrapping secure it with an elastic hair tie. Then just fix the front of your hair to blend in with the style of the side ponytail.
- Another style - comb all your hair to the side to make a side ponytail and then secure it with a clear elastic hair tie. Take the ponytail and two inches from the secured hair, tie it with another clear elastic hair and continue doing that until you reach the end of the hair. You'll need 2 to 4 clear elastic hair ties to make this style of side ponytail (more if your hair is really long).
- Just like the second style this third style has a trick. Comb all your hair to the side to make a side ponytail and secure it with a clear elastic hair tie. Take the ponytail and two inches from the secured hair. Tie it with another clear elastic hair. After you have secured it, get the first ponytail and give it a lot of volume by pulling it sideways. So here is the trick, open the first ponytail and put the end with the secured second clear elastic tie inside the first ponytail. Continue doing it until it reaches the end of the hair. You'll need 2 to 4 clear elastic hair ties to make this style of side ponytail.
- To make a side ponytail more stylish, all you need is an elastic band (better if it's black), hairbrush, hair spray and a small fancy clip. Brush all your hair to the back. Brush it again and spray the front hair with hair spray. Brush all the hair to the side you're putting the ponytail on, and secure it with an elastic band. Separate the hair above elastic band and then twist the hair so that it can go through the split you made in the hair. Put the small fancy clip in the center of the side ponytail.
How to make a low side up do with a veil?
This is very easy. Comb your hair towards the side you want your up-do. Put a thin black rubber band and make a side ponytail first. Once you have done that, tie it up into a nice bun and it will look beautiful underneath the veil. Tuck a nice flower in the bun if you like.
Wedding side dos?
- To make a wedding side dos. You will need many small and big pins, a clip and a white or silver fancy clip since it is a wedding (white or silver color suit a wedding).
- Pull over the upper hair and clip it using the clip at the top of your head.
- Third step is to make a side ponytail so pull over all the hair that is left and secure it the side of your choice.
- Unclip the hair at the top of the head and use the hair as the tie for the ponytail by wrapping it around the elastic you secured it with. Use a small pin and to secure the ponytail. Use more pins if you don't feel it's secure.
- Whether the hair is straight or curled, twist the ponytail or roll it up to make a bun. After rolling it up, use the big pin to secure the bun. Add three to five big pins to secure it. It must be really secure so that it will not fall.
- Lastly, arrange your hair and add the white or silver fancy clip at the top of the bun so it will cover the pins and it will look appropriate for a wedding.
You can use the following pictures as reference for a side ponytail for weddings. These are better for wedding guests, rather than the bride:
Classy side bun hairstyles?
VisiHow QnA. This section is not written yet. Want to join in? Click EDIT to write this answer.
I would like to do the curled side ponytail but not in a bun. How do I do it?
Curled side ponytail, but no bun. Fancy and will stay for at least 7 hours.
VisiHow QnA. This section is not written yet. Want to join in? Click EDIT to write this answer.