Make a No-Dough Pizza for a Diabetic and All Pizza Eaters
Edited by Jerry Rivers, Lynn, Eng
Pizza is one of the favorite foods ever since its introduction in Naples, Italy. It's right up there with hot dogs, ice cream, apple pie and french fries as America's favorite cuisine. Pizza comes to the table with hundreds of possible toppings, and several kinds of crust to please the palate. As a pizza connoisseur and former pizza manager extraordinaire, believe me, it's a great way to share time with friends and family. Now, here is a tasty pizza for you if you are on a low-carb diet, or on a special high-fiber diet for diabetes. This pizza that you are about to make is low on carbohydrates and gluten-free. You can join in on the fun with all the other voracious pizza eaters around the world. Just follow the recipe below. You and your friends will be able to devour your no-dough pizza in less than 45 minutes total prep and cook time!
- 1Here is how to make that delicious, yet low-carb crustAdvertisement
- First add the following ingredients into a large mixing bowl:
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup of parmesan cheese
- 1 cup of full-fat cream cheese - have it at room temperature to use.
- 1 teaspoon of garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon of black pepper
- 2Here are your sauce and ingredients needed for the No-dough pizza:Advertisement
- 4 ounces of regular pizza sauce
- 1 ½ cups of shredded mozzarella cheese
- For your toppings, have pepperoni, ham, sausage, mushroom pieces, and bell pepper slices added to taste
- A pinch of garlic powder extra to sprinkle on top your pizza
- 1 teaspoon of oregano to sprinkle as a final topping is optional
- 3Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- 4In a standard 9 X 13 inch baking pan or dish, spray the bottom and sides with a coating of cooking spray.
- 5Using a hand-operated kitchen mixer, mix the cream cheese, parmesan cheese, pepper, garlic powder, and eggs until a smooth consistency. Do NOT add the mozzarella cheese to the mix. It will be the first topping on your sauce later. This mix is your delicious pizza dough to spread into the baking pan.
- 6Sprinkle the shredded mozzarella cheese evenly onto the crust.
- 7Leave a ¼ to ½ inch border with no cheese along the perimeter of your crust. This prevents burning the cheese, and prevents it from sticking to the pan.
- 8Bake the crust in the preheated oven at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for about 15 minutes, until the crust appears light brown.
- 9Remove from the oven, and allow it to sit at least 10 minutes before you add sauce, mozzarella cheese, and toppings. Once it is at room temperature, you are ready to build the pizza on the crust.
- 10Now, you are ready to add toppings:
- Note: When adding the toppings keep them off the edge of the dough, just as you did with the mozzarella cheese.
- First step is to lay the pepperoni and ham pieces as the bottom flat layer. Note to not put a piece in the very center for thorough cooking, and to prevent cutting any center piece to the bottom.
- Add the sausage evenly.
- Spread the bell pepper and mushroom pieces evenly.
- As a final ingredients step, sprinkle the garlic powder and oregano pieces evenly over the toppings.
- You may wish to sprinkle Parmesan cheese on top, also. It's great as a mix with oregano.
- Bake your savory pizza at 350 degrees for about 10 minutes, or until the cheese is completely melted.
- Once the pizza is taken from the oven, it is recommended to let it "stage" for a few minutes before cutting. This enhances the taste, and keeps the cut pieces' toppings and cheese from sticking together so much during the serving.