Make a Natural Colon Cleanse
Edited by Jmgf, Lynn, Rebecca M., Eng
One of the most pervasive problems in today's society includes those that involve the digestive system, and why is this? Simply because our lifestyle and food supply lacks in substance and nutrition. It is for these reasons that the majority of adolescents and teenagers these days are experiencing health problems such as obesity and other gastrointestinal problems.
The colon is the part of the digestive system that is responsible for removing water and salt from our body's stool before it is released from the body. The build up of wastes not eliminated from the body causes the build up along the wall, which in turn contributes to harmful diseases and illnesses. With this, undertaking a colon cleansing is necessary in ensuring that you do not suffer from other chronic digestive problems that might lead to complications.
- Also known as the large intestine
- Major organ for waste removal (aside from the lungs, kidneys, liver)
- Removes water, salt and other nutrients that forms the stool
- Contains billions of friendly bacteria that balance out the body
Luckily, inexpensive home cleansing remedies are now available to help address your need for colon cleansing. For this matter, making use of a natural colon cleanse is essential for your overall well being.
Making a natural colon cleanse
- 1Increase your water intake. It is essential that you drink at least 10-12 glasses of water each day. Water acts as a natural lubricant for your digestive system to function smoothly.Advertisement
- Drink half of your weight in ounces. (Ex. If you weigh 120 pounds/55kg, your minimum requirement of intake of water is at least 60 ounces of water each day - equivalent to eight glasses/two liters.)
- When you wake up first thing in the morning, make it a habit to drink at least two glasses of water to replenish the water lost during sleep and to prepare your body for your regular bowel release.
- 2Increase Your fiber intake. Choose wheat over white bread. The body's minimum requirement of fiber intake is at least 25-30 grams each day.Advertisement
- 3Stay away from fatty foods and sugar-rich foods. Changing your lifestyle and your diet is just as essential in ensuring that you get the best out of your detoxification.
- 4Opt for the foods for colon cleansing. Dramatically changing your choices of food during meal times is a crucial step towards overall well-being, and for that matter, colon well-being.
- 5Start a juice fast.
- For starters, do a three-day fast, and then increase the number of days to at least a week as you get used to it.
- Make a salt water mix. (1 teaspoon of sea salt/ingestible Epsom salt and 24 oz. warm water)
- Drink this salt water mix, at least once in the morning and once in the evening. Make sure that you consume it during times when the bathroom is most accessible.
Aside from your intake of the salt water mix, the juice fast will act as a replacement for your regular meals:
- 1Apple juice. Just as an apple a day keeps the doctor away, so does the apple juice fast keep the colon cleansed when taken as part of the detoxification process. When making use of this remedy it is advisable to completely avoid solid foods.
- To prepare:
- Juice 2 cups worth of apple juice
- Add 1 tsp. of apple cider vinegar
- Mix in 1 tbsp. of honey for flavoring
- Include a few ounces of water to dilute the mix
- Optional: 1 tbsp. of bentonite clay
- To prepare:
- To prepare:
- Juice 2 tablespoons of freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Add 1 tablespoon of maple syrup or honey
- Mix in 10 ounces of warm water
- Add 1/10 teaspoon cayenne pepper powder
- To prepare:
- Gather 400 g of mature Aloe Vera leaves
- Split the leaves in two and remove the gel from them.
- Blend well the juice of the lemon with the Aloe Vera gel to get a fine juice
- Add honey for flavoring
- Store the mix in the refrigerator for at least two to three hours.
- To prepare:
- Cut a portion of ginger to boil in water
- Add 3 to 4 drops of honey to flavor to your ginger juice
- Consume at least two to three times a day
- Optional: Add ginger to your tea.
Foods for colon cleansing
After undertaking up to a week long juice fast or diet, make sure you back it up with great meals that are rich in the following:
- 1Fiber. Foods rich in fiber will help make the stools become soft and thus, help improve the bowel movement. Fruits and green vegetables are the best sources of natural fibers. Cereals, whole grains, nuts and other beans are also great options for your sources of fiber. The fiber in these foods helps in holding the moisture inside the colon, and thus promotes efficient and smooth functioning of your digestive system.
- 2Green veggies. Also known as the "internal deodorant", the high chlorophyll content found in green vegetables makes them an ideal option for foods during the detoxification process. This chlorophyll content helps in soothing and healing the damaged tissues inside the digestive tract, which then helps the body to take in more oxygen and draw out the harmful toxins outside the body. Alfalfa, barley, spirulina, blue-green algae and wheatgrass are some of the best options for green vegetables.
- 3Omega-3s. Fish like herring, salmon and tuna are the greatest sources for the omega-3 fatty acids. Steer clear from fishes rich in omega-6 fatty acids like tilapia and milk fish, and opt for the healthy fatty acid instead. Vegetables like artichokes, peas and broccoli are also great choices for omega-3. Flaxseed can also be a great source of omega-3 fatty acids and natural fibers, it will help in absorbing water and expanding the colon. Also, the flaxseed helps in the removal of toxins and mucous as it passes through the colon.
- 4Fermented foods. Yogurt and other fermented foods such as miso and sauerkraut can replenish friendly bacteria in your body. These probiotics, or good bacteria, synthesize vitamins from foods consumed, degrade the toxins, and prevent the colonization of disease-causing micro-organisms, and thus, ultimately, stimulate the immune system. It is also a great source of calcium, which helps in discouraging the growth of cells lining the colon.
Tips, tricks & warnings
- Some recipes or remedies provided are not recommended for pregnant women.
- Consult your physician or nutritionist before undertaking a colon cleansing regimen if you are undergoing other types of medications