Make a Homemade Hair Rinse to Stop and Reverse Hair Loss Using Burdock Root Water vs Guinness Beer vs Steeped Fresh Basil Leaves ... and 5 more
Edited by Donna, Eng
Method 1: Using Burdock Root Water
Burdock root contains silica, a natural clarifier of the scalp that stimulates blood circulation to the scalp and helps strengthen the hair roots. Burdock root is rich in fatty acids that help grow healthy hair.
- 2Turn on the stove.Chop the fresh burdock root into chunks and put them in a saucepan.
- 3The mixture may foam a bit but that is fine as that is the mucilage in the root being extracted.Fill the saucepan with water and then bring the mixture to a boil.
- 4Leave any white or thicker bits of gel that might appear in the water.Use a sieve to strain the mixture well and let cool.
- 5Leave it on for up to two hours. Leave it on for at least ten minutes if you are in a hurry.Pour the mixture on your scalp and massage it into hair follicles and locks.
- 6If there is debris from the rinse in your hair it may be necessary to shower it out of your hair. Shampoo and condition again if necessary.Rinse the mixture out of your hair with cool water.
Method 2: Using Guinness Beer
Guinness beer is very rich in iron and B vitamins, which is nourishing for the scalp. The maltose sugars in dark beers help your hair cuticles tighten their grip on each strand, so that you are at less risk of hair loss. Furthermore, a Guinness beer hair rinse boosts body and makes your hair seem thicker and shinier.
- 2Be sure to massage the beer into your scalp. It is best to do this in the bath or shower. Note that Guinness beer is very good for skin as well.Open the beer and pour the contents of the can or bottle over your head.
- 3Shower and rinse the mixture out of your hair. If the beer smell bothers you, apply your favorite conditioner.Leave the mixture on for five minutes.
Method 3: Using Steeped Fresh Basil Leaves
Fresh chopped basil leaves emit constituents that help stimulate hair follicles to grow new hair. Basil is also rich in magnesium which helps root the hair in the scalp and prevent it from breaking off at the root, as happens so often when people first start to experience hair loss. Basil also adds shine to dry, brittle and thinner hair.
- 1Chop the basil finely to release the essential aromatic properties of the herb.Prepare the fresh organic basil for brewing.
Method 4: Using Lavender Flower Water
If you are experiencing thinning hair, Lavender can really help because it can help balance the pH of the scalp and balance the oil production of the hair follicles. It can also assist with inflammatory scalp issues that can cause hair loss. Lavender is a triple threat with anti-inflammatory, anti-bacterial and anti-fungal conditions.
- 2This allows the mixture to steep and create an elixir.Bring the mixture to a light boil, then turn off stove.
- 3You can strain the mixture if you like but it is not necessary unless you have a bath or shower drain that clogs easily.Let the mixture cool and pour into a squeeze bottle.
- 4You can leave this rinse in your hair, which is recommended because it gives hair a lovely scent.After shampooing, rinse your hair with the lavender flower brew.
Method 5: Using Lemongrass Leaf Water
Lemongrass is a naturally astringent and tonic herb that can help clarify the scalp follicles so that they are better able to hang on to the hair root. This herb is a natural anti-inflammatory and disinfectant that works very well to restore hair that is falling out because of a fungal infection.
- 2This allows the mixture to steep and create a potionBring the mixture to a light boil, then turn off stove.
- 3Straining the mixture is optional.Let the mixture cool and then pour into a squeeze bottle.
- 4You can leave this rinse in your hair if you enjoy the scent.After shampooing, rinse your hair with the lemon grass leaf solution.
Method 6: Using Stinging Nettle Leaf Water
You can get fresh stinging nettles at a whole foods market. The nettles really do sting, until they are blanched in hot water. In this case you will be boiling the stinging nettles to make a hair rinse, so it is not a big concern, but if you are sensitive to the little needles then wear gloves as you handle them raw. Stinging nettles are a natural source of iron, which helps hair to grow. The leaves are warming and stimulating, helping to encourage blood flow to the scalp.
- 2Nettles are thicker and this helps neutralize any irritants from the plant's tiny needles.Bring the mixture to a hard boil for at least ten minutes.
- 3You may have to strain it twice to get a clear hair rinse, but a hair rinse with some plant matter in it may actually enhance the healing effects of the rinse.Let the mixture cool and strain it into a squeeze bottle.
- 4Smooth it through your existing hair to help smooth your cuticles and add tensile strength to your locks.Apply the mixture to your scalp and massage your hair follicles and hair.
- 5Unless you strain it through a cheesecloth several times to achieve a clear liquid, you may not want to leave nettle hair rinse in your hair.Leave the rinse in your hair for about ten minutes and then rinse out.
Method 7: Using Raw Apple Cider Vinegar
An apple cider vinegar hair prevents hair loss by invigorating and stimulating hair follicles. This type of vinegar also smooth's the hair shaft and prevents split ends. As it is not pasteurized, apple cider vinegar is considered to be a live food with enzymes. Apple cider vinegar also possess anti-fungal properties that helps prevent hair loss due to scalp infections.
For best results, make sure you are buying an organic raw apple cider vinegar. You can tell that you are buying the right type if it is slightly cloudy and has white threads at the bottom. Bragg's Raw Apple Cider Vinegar is a recommended brand. Stay away from commercial brands of vinegar that may not have any raw enzymatic activity.
- 2The idea is to clarify and stimulate your hair follicles by rubbing the skin on your scalp vigorously.Massage the mixture into your hair and scalp.
- 3Do not worry about the vinegar smell as it will disappear as your hair dries.Leave it in or rinse it out.
Method 8: Using Watercress Leaf Water
Watercress is rich in biotin and iron and the acids in the plant help stop hair loss by clarifying and unclogging hair follicles. Using this rinse will also make your hair very smooth and shiny and improve the tensile strength (stretchability) of each strand. Watercress is also very high in the mineral zinc, which is a potent anti-inflammatory that protects hair follicles from fungus.
- 2A yellowish water resembling tea will begin to form.Bring the mixture to a hard boil, turn off stove and let it brew.
- 3Tiny bits of plant matter in the rinse are beneficial for your hair.Let the watercress brew cool off and strain it into a squeeze bottle.
- 4Leave the rinse in your hair for about ten minutes and then rinse out.
Tips and Tricks
- Rinsing your hair in very cold water to remove the homemade hair rinse is an effective way to close up your scalp hair follicles so they retain the benefits of the rinse and make your hair look shinier
- The more apple cider vinegar that you add to the solution, the more effective it will be in curing dandruff
- Some people put their rinses in spray bottles, spritz the herbal solution in their hair throughout the day and then leave it in