Make a Holiday Snowflake
Edited by JMA, Eng, Lynn
When the holidays are around, we often look for great projects that are going to help transform our homes into showing our holiday spirit. One of the best ideas will be to create snowflakes from paper. These snowflakes will ensure that our home becomes a winter wonderland. Best of all, this project is simple enough that the entire family can get together over some hot cocoa and make some of these snowflakes together.
- 1You will want to keep the edges as even as possible. This will take some time and patience. There are some craft stores that do have square cut sheets of paper you can take advantage of, if you would rather use those.Take a sheet of plain white paper and cut it into a square.
- 2Make sure that the fold is perfectly down the middle, so you end up having a triangle shape when you are done.Now, take the paper and fold it diagonally.
- 3While you are doing this, you will ensure that the pointed corners on the paper meet and the result is a smaller triangle. You will now be ready to move forward with cutting. If you are doing the snowflakes on your own, you can use standard scissors to work with. If you are doing this craft with a small child, give him or her a pair of rounded safety scissors, so he or she can safely follow along with you.From here, you will want to take this triangle and fold it in half another time.
- 4These will help you to make the unique images in them. You may want to try a series of different shapes and designs to get an idea of what you like best. Just make sure you don't cut the paper all the way across. You are only going in about half to three fourths of the way across it.With scissors in hand, you will want to cut at the edges of the triangle in both straight and squiggled lines.
- 5It is important to keep in mind that the snowflake is going to be fragile, so use some caution when you are unfolding it. Once it is fully unfolded, you can admire the snowflake that you have created. This can be displayed in the window with some poster putty, or you can hang it on a string from the ceiling if you desire.You can now slowly begin to unfold the piece of paper.
- 6This will add some shimmer to the project so they will stand out more than they might have otherwise.An optional additional step is to take craft glue and some white glitter and make lines of glue on the paper and cover them in glitter.
- Do a couple of test runs before you work on your final snowflakes. That way, you can ensure that you have a better understanding of what you are doing.