Make a Cold Remedy Using Ginger
Edited by Nerissa Avisado, VC, Robbi, Lynn and 1 other
Ginger is the best, most effective cold treatment recognized in Chinese traditional medicine. They have been using it for 2,500 years already as remedy for all cold symptoms like congestion, sinus pain and sore throat. Gingerol, gingerdiols and aryl alkanes are accounted for its medicinal and healing power. Ginger's strong yang energy warms the stomach and lungs.
- 1The common name is Zingiber officinale and it was first cultivated by the Chinese.
- 2of ginger could go for as much as the price of a sheep.A very expensive spice during the ancient Roman era, a lb.
- 3The ginger root is a rhizome, or mass of roots, growing underground.
- 4The principal producers of modern ginger crops are China and other countries in Asia; Brazil, Jamaica, and Nigeria.
Here are some favorite ginger drinks and recipes that you can prepare for your loved ones to give relief to a disturbing cold ailment
Ginger Root Tea
- Ginger root, fresh 2-inch piece
- 4 cups of water
- Honey (optional)
- Lemon slices (optional)
- Medium-sized pot
- 1Peel off the skin of ginger.
- Cut into 2-4 inch sections.
- Make a lengthwise slice for each section.
- 2Fill the pot three-fourths full of water and boil.
- 3Simmer for 15-20 minutes to an hour depending on how strong you like your tea.Place the ginger slices into the pot, then cover.
- 4Turn off the heat and strain the ginger pieces.
- 5Pour the brew into a tea cup.
- 6Add honey or lemon to taste
A soup to refresh and strengthen you to fight colds and provide quick relief from decongestion and sore throat complaints.
- 2 tbsp. ginger
- 1 cup hot water
- Boil the mix over a slow fire for 10 minutes.
- 1A person afflicted with the cold virus can sip this soup in one to two hour intervals to soothe an irritated throat and relieve headache.
Ginger as Inhalant
- 1 tsp. ginger powder
- 1 quart water
- 1Boil the ingredients together
- 2It will help alleviate colds.Inhale the steam.
Tips and Tricks
- 1Drink ginger tea three times a day at the first sign of a cold.
- 2Drink on an empty stomach for better absorption into your body.
- 3Ginger tea can also be made by putting one drop of ginger essential oil in one cup hot water.
- 4To preserve fresh ginger, dip in a little sherry wine, and keep in the refrigerator until next use.
- 5"Mother" ginger or old ginger can be bought from Chinese markets.
- Do not take aspirin for at least two hours after drinking ginger tea. Both act as blood thinners.
- Ginger is a blood thinner. Do not use it for three to four days if you have a scheduled surgery.
- Sweeteners are not recommended when making ginger tea as a home remedy during cold and flu season.
- Overuse of this spice triggers onset of diarrhea, heartburn and acute burning sensation in mouth.
- Patients with chronic gastritis and peptic ulcers should not eat this soup.The spice may irritate the wounds.