Make Two Nanas Pickled Watermelon Rind
Edited by Maria Quinney, Eng
My Mother and Nana created this after my Nana was craving this snack. It is a great way to use the rinds if you cut up a whole watermelon for a picnic. Some recipes call for a 10 day wait however a week is usually sufficient. It is great as a topping for plain yogurt.
- 11 large watermelon. needs to have thick rindAdvertisement
- 24 cups sugarAdvertisement
- 32 quarts water
- 42 cups apple cider vinegar
- 56 to 8 sticks cinnamon
- 61 teas salt
- 71 tablespoon allspice
- 82 tablespoons whole cloves
- 92 tablespoons ground cinnamon
- 1cut up watermelon in 1/4S. Take out the flesh of the melon part but leave some pink on the rindAdvertisement
- 2cut into 1" wide strips and peel the skin off. Slice into 1/2"-1" slices set aside
- 3In large sauce pan stir sugar and water till sugar dissolves.
- 4Add vinegar and spices cook for 10 min or till boiling.
- 5Place watermelon rind slices in very large pot. Carefully pour hot sugar water over...bring back to boil and stir occasionally for 45 min
- 6use slotted spoon to spoon into hot sterile pint and quart jars.( make sure each jar has cloves and some cinnamon stick) fill with the sugar liquid to the rim leave 1/2" space...seal with canning lid...place in hot bath and process 30 min ...makes 3 quart size jars and 3 jelly jars...ready to eat in a week or so