Make Salsa Verde
Edited by Monika, sheryl hernandez
A classic Italian sauce, full of wonderful fresh flavors - parsley, capers, lemon zest, olive oil.
It can be served with meat, fish or vegetables or used as a wonderful dipping sauce for bread, in fact it is so good, I've been known to dip into the remnants and lick it off my fingers. Pure decadence!
- Use really fresh herbs, whether you're using parsley or a combination of other herbs - chives, chervil, tarragon, basil and parsley.
- Be sure to cut them very finely with a really sharp knife. You won't get the best flavor or color using a dull knife because it will bruise the herbs rather than cutting them cleanly.
- ½ cup (approx 25g) finely chopped parsley (or a combination of fresh herbs)
- 1 tablespoon capers, drained and chopped
- 1 small garlic clove, finely chopped (if you don't like the taste of raw garlic, sauté the garlic just until soft in a little of the olive oil, allow to cool before adding)
- zest of 1 lemon, finely chopped or grated
- 2 tablespoons of lemon juice
- A grinding of salt and lots of fresh pepper
- ½ cup (140 ml) olive oil
- 1Mix well, check seasoning (be careful about adding too much salt, the capers are already salty) and allow to stand at room temperature for the flavors to blend.Advertisement
- 2Add the lemon juice just before serving (adding lemon juice sooner causes the herbs to darken and lose their lovely deep green color).Advertisement
- 3Other additions you might experiment with are chopped anchovy fillets, chopped shallots or even finely chopped hard boiled egg. You might even try all three together.
- Here we've used the Salsa Verde on Vietnamese Cobbler - a fish similar to thin fillets of cod.
- The fish was dipped in egg and then fine bread crumbs, shallow fried and served with mashed potatoes and green beans.
- A cold glass of non-alcoholic beer rounds off the meal beautifully. Bon appétit!
- Use the Japanese bread crumbs - Panko - they are very different from normal bread crumbs and give a really great crispy crunch.
There is no user reviews.
Categories : Cooking
Recent edits by: Monika