Make Neon Cap Toe Pumps
Edited by Rowan, Eng, Lynn, Maria Quinney
We all love a pair of killer shoes, but we can't just buy every pair we like or fancy. And why buy a new pair, when you can just revamp what you already have? Sometimes, designs will seem so innovative that it feels complicated, while in fact you can do them on your own, just by knowing the right ways and steps.
The design of the colored cap toe shoes is one of the big hits that are both sexy and classy, which makes them distinguished and a show stopper. And honestly, why wouldn't they be, since they give any normal one color shoes the striking look and style of two contrasting colors. Don't forget that having colored cap toe shoes will definitely be a practical choice, as they will compliment many of your outfits. The neon cap toe pumps are a bright edition to your shoes collection, and the vibrant neon colors will definitely make a statement, as the shoes will give your classic look a sexy and modern twist, whether you are walking into your office, running errands, or going to a party. The best way to have your own pair of neon cap toe shoes is by following the steps and details here.
- 1You will need to have the following items to turn your pumps into neon cap toe pumps:Advertisement
- Rounded or pointed patent pumps - The easiest colors to work with are nude or light shades, as they blend well with any tone, and get covered easily by any color, but black shoes will work great as well.
- Acrylic paint and a paintbrush, or fluorescent neon spray paint (in the color you want to use).
- White acrylic paint, or fluorescent spray paint (if you are working with black shoes or dark colored shoes).
- Duct tape, old newspaper, and old towels (that you don't mind messing with paint).
- Clear sealer (to seal the painted parts and protect it from chipping, while giving it a satin finish).
- 2For defined cap toes color, tape the front part of your shoes and the sole at the front. The size and shape of the colored cap toes depends on your taping technique, which makes it the hardest step, so make sure you press down the tape to make it stick well to the shoes, for an even line of paint finish, because any gaps or spaces between the duct tape and your shoes will allow the paint to sneak in. The tape must be solidly in place to achieve a professional finish, like the ones you find in stores.Advertisement
- 3Optional Step: Fill the shoes with old newspaper to cover their insides.
- 4Place some newspaper under your shoes, take the towels and cover the shoes with them, starting from the taped part, and make sure that you have them covered up well from the sides and top, to avoid any spray paint splashing over the shoes or on the floor.
- 5If you are painting a pair of black shoes (or any dark colored pair), then you will need to make a base for your color. You will do this base layer by painting the cap toes with white paint. It doesn't matter if you are using acrylic paint or spray paint; all you need to do is use your paintbrush to paint an even coat of the acrylic paint with no apparent brush strokes, or spray a couple of coats of the white spray paint and let it dry well. The white coat will help you have a vibrant color because the dark color of your shoes may dim it.
- 6If you color your cap toes using the neon acrylic paint, you will need to use your paintbrush to paint a couple of coats, so you can have the bright color. After applying the paint, you may have visible brush strokes. You need to get rid of these strokes to have a smooth finish, so you must wait until the paint is 90 percent dry, and then you will lightly even the lines with your fingers (after wetting them with water so you won't have your fingerprints marking the paint). After you smooth the lines, you will just let it dry completely.
- 7If you are using spray paint, you will need to make sure that your shoes are covered well with the towels, then you will start spraying the cap toes. You will need around two coats of spray paint or a maximum of three. Avoid painting too many coats or the paint will chip.
- 8After painting the cap toes of your shoes (using the paint type of your choice), and letting them dry well, you will spray the painted cap toes with the clear sealer. And let it dry.
- 9An optional step for having matching heels:
- After leaving the painted toe caps of your pumps to dry (so you won't damage the wet paint), and before removing the duct tape. You can have matching neon heels and cap toes, by simply masking the back of your shoes with duct tape (covering the heel counter, the top piece, the heel breast and the shank), leaving nothing exposed but the heels.
- You will also need to cover up your pumps again with towels, and make sure that the towels have no paint residue, so you won't stain your shoes. The towels should protect the rest of your shoes from the spray.
- Now that you have your pumps covered well, start painting your heels the same way you painted the toe caps with the neon paint, unless the heels are black, and then you will need to paint them white before using the neon color paint on them.
- After painting the heels with two or three coats of neon color, you will now use the clear sealer for the finishing coat, but paint the heels with an extra coat, because they are the most vulnerable parts for chipping or scratching.
- 11Voila! Your neon cap toe pumps are ready to hit the road.
- You can use crystal clear acrylic spray gloss, or glitter spray (after you finish painting the cap toe shoes with the colored coat) for a different type of shine on your shoe's cap toes.
- You can also use the same steps to make metallic cap toes for your shoes, using a metallic spray paint.
- When spray painting your shoes, it is better that you do it outside the house, in an open place like on the balcony, or close to the open Windows to avoid inhaling the fumes.
- You can use any of the paints you want to paint your cap toes of you pumps with, and the heels as well.
There is no user reviews.
Categories : Repurposing Crafts
Recent edits by: Lynn, Eng, Rowan