Make Monika's Bread and Butter Pickles
Edited by Graeme, Monika, Robbi, Eng and 2 others
Nearly everyone has their own approach to canning and preserving and recipes abound for some of the more common ones, such as pickles.
This is one that I particularly like and so do those who have tried it.
It's not difficult to make and they make remarkable homemade Christmas, birthday or just special gifts.
Ingredients for Bread and Butter Pickles
- 18-10 cucumbers, cut into ¼ inch thick slicesAdvertisement
- 28-10 onions, cut into large piecesAdvertisement
- 34-6 green, yellow and/or red peppers, seeded & cut into large pieces
- 41 cup (250 ml) salt
After cutting, layer the vegetables in a very large bowl, sprinkle each layer with some of the salt. Put at least one tray of ice cubes over the vegetables. Put into the fridge overnight. In the morning, drain the liquid and prepare the syrup.
Syrup for Bread and Butter Pickles
- 12 liters cider vinegarAdvertisement
- 26 cups (1.5 kg) granulated sugar
- 32 tsp. (10 ml) celery seed
- 42 tsp. (10 ml) turmeric
- 52 tbsp. (30 ml) white mustard seeds
- 62 tbsp. (30 ml) pickling spices (see the spice mixture below - you will have approximately 60 ml left over to use next time)
- 1Blend all ingredients in very large pot, and bring mixture to a boil; stir until sugar is completely dissolved.
Pickling Spices for Bread and Butter Pickles
Combine 1 tablespoon (15 ml) each:
- 1whole allspice
- 2yellow mustard seeds
- 3whole juniper berries
- 4chili bits
- 5white peppercorns
- 6black peppercorns