Make Moist Banana Bread
Edited by Rebecca M., Lynn, Rafah Perlado, Robbi and 2 others
Banana bread is one of those things that are generally seen around the holidays, but can be made at any time of the year.
All you need are some over ripe bananas, which are often for sale at a discount in grocery stores. It goes hand in hand with the holiday season, but it also makes a lovely breakfast or snack when you are in a hurry. It freezes very well so you can bake some ahead of time and keep it on hand for a quick nutritious snack.
This recipe comes with a spread that taste good when partnered with banana bread which is called "orange Cream Cheese Spread".
- 11 1/4 cups of white sugarAdvertisement
- 21/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butterAdvertisement
- 31/2 cup of sour cream
- 42 large eggs
- 53 over ripe bananas, mashed
- 62 1/2 cups of all purpose flour
- 71 teaspoon of baking powder
- 81/2 teaspoon of baking soda
- 91/8 teaspoon of salt
- 101/4 cup of chopped pecans, if desired
- 1Preheat oven to 300 degrees Fahrenheit and grease a 5 x 8 loaf pan.
- 2In a large mixing bowl, cream together butter and sugar until fluffy.
- 3Add eggs one at a time. Crack the eggs first into a small bowl before adding it into the butter mixture.
- 4Add mashed bananas and blend thoroughly.
- 5In a small bowl, sift together flour, salt, baking soda, and baking powder.
- 6Add slowly to the banana mixture and stir until just blended. Use the cut and fold mixing technique to avoid over mixing.
- 7Gently mix in nuts if using.
- 8Pour into greased baking pan and bake for 75 minutes or until nicely browned and a knife inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- 9Place pan on a wire rack to cool for 5 minutes and then turn bread out onto rack to cool completely.
L'Orange Cream Cheese Spread
- 11 pack of Cream CheeseAdvertisement
- 21 medium size Mandarin Orange
- 31 pinch of salt
- 41 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1In a mixing bowl, mix together cream cheese, the juice of the mandarin orange and lemon juice, until it is butter like texture.
- 2Add in the grated rind of the mandarin orange and mix well.
- 3Place in an airtight container or sterilized jar.
Tips and hints
- Adding a pinch of cinnamon or nutmeg to your banana bread gives it a whole new dimension.
- Be sure NOT TO over mix your quick breads because it will cause them to be tough.
- Over baking is the most common cause of dry, crumbly banana bread rather than the moist delicious treat that Grandma made.
- Banana bread is even better after it sits and the flavors are allowed to meld. After bread is cooled completely, wrap it in waxed paper and then in plastic wrap or aluminum foil and refrigerate overnight. You'll be amazed at how much the flavors intensify.
- At some point in our lives we've probably all been told that the bread had to be completely cool before it was cut or it would be ruined. That's a blatant falsehood that parents tell their children so that they can have all the banana bread to themselves. Cut a big piece while it's still warm and spread it with some butter and you'll be in paradise.
- Take out the bread 10 minutes earlier, as it will continue to bake while in the heated pan.
- Some also add 1/4 cup of vegetable oil even though it doesn't call for the said ingredient. It will definitely make your bread moist.
- If you don't have over ripe bananas, you can always use the ripe banana.
- Aside from adding nuts of your choice, you can also add chocolate chips or fruits such as blueberries. A lot of renditions can be done with this recipe.
Note: Photos above are just sample brands of the ingredients. This does not mean that the same brands are needed in preparing this recipe. You can always change things according to your preferences.
The pictures are just sample photos on how to execute a certain procedure.
Questions and Answers
How to Cut Banana Bread While it is Still Warm?
Your banana bread will not crumble, even if you slice it straight from the oven if you follow certain procedures. Allow the pan to cool for about 10-15 minutes, then remove the banana bread and place onto a dish while still warm. Prepare the bread for cutting or slicing, using a bread knife to cut the size you desire, and then serve warm.
There is no user reviews.
Categories : Desserts
Recent edits by: Pivil, Robbi, Rafah Perlado