Make Homemade Peanut Butter
Edited by mahalia jovita b. bugasto, Lynn, Eng, Graciela Franchesca Rosario and 1 other
Peanut butter! When I hear these words my mouth starts to water and I can imagine myself spreading a thick and chunky spread onto a piece of bread and biting into that crunchy delicacy. Peanut butter is "The Ultimate Spread" for me; that is why I like to do my own safe and homemade peanut butter. Making your own spread is easy for you and your family to enjoy, so what are you waiting for? Prepare the things needed and create your own peanut butter with a unique sticky, chunky or smooth consistency.
- 1 Steps
- 2 How to Make Chocolate Peanut Butter
- 3 How to Make Almond Peanut Butter
- 4 Peanut Butter - Banana Semifreddo
- 5 Ice Box Café Peanut Butter Ice Cream Cake
- 6 Types of Peanut Butter
- 7 Nutrition in Peanut Butter
- 8 How to Select the Right Peanut
- 9 Tips
- 10 Comments
- 1Things you'll need to make 1 quart of peanut butter:Advertisement
- Peanuts - a large bag of shelled or unshelled or 1 can of unshelled ones will do.
- Vegetable Oil - 2 to 3 tablespoons of peanut oil is the best to work with, but you can use other kinds of vegetable oil like corn, safflower or sunflower. ##Note: Do not use olive oil. Even though it's best for cooking using it for peanut butter will affect the taste.
- Blender or food processor
- Medium bowl
- Container or jar with air tight seal
- 3If you have all of these, then let's start mixing!
- Shell. If you have bought a bag of unshelled peanuts, then you have to take the shell off and set the actual peanuts aside. And if you bought canned peanuts and see an excessive amount of the red outer skin on the shelled peanuts you do not have to take them off one by one. You can easily go outside and blow on those skins and they will float away.
- Assemble. Make sure that all the parts of your equipment are complete and clean. Assemble them and make sure it is in good working condition.
- Chop. Put the shelled peanuts inside the blender or food processor and fasten the lid on the container and start the motor. First you have to use the lowest option on your blender or processor and once the peanuts are chopped finely, that's the time to use the fast option.
- Scrape. There will be peanuts that are not chopped at the side of the blender or processor you have to scrape those down with the spatula to the mixture and mix back the peanuts that were not chopped. You will see the peanuts clump up and just continue blending or processing until you have achieved the consistency you are looking for (smooth, chunky, or a little of both).
- Oil. Once you have achieved the consistency you want, it's time to put the pasty peanuts into a medium sized bowl and add the vegetable oil. The obvious choice is of course peanut oil, which will go well with the peanut mixture, but if peanut oil is not available you can use the other oils that taste similar to peanut oil like sunflower, safflower or corn, except for olive oil. Mix the oil and the peanut butter until all oil is integrated.
- 4When you have mixed the peanut butter and oil, taste it. Add a pinch of salt if you want to make it even tastier. But if you are a fan of sweet peanut butter you can add honey or brown sugar. But if you're diabetic, you can use Stevia or Splenda, or any artificial flavoring you want. It's about time to spread that peanut butter and eat it.Taste test.
- 5After mixing and eating, you can spoon the peanut butter from the mixing bowl and put it inside your air tight container or jar. You can keep it refrigerated and store it for months in the fridge. But make sure to make a note to yourself that you have to stir it once in a while to mix the oil back with the peanuts, because with time the oil tends to separate from the peanut.Store.
Now you have your own homemade peanut butter I know you will love. You do not have to buy anymore, you can just easily grab the container from the refrigerator and spread! Enjoy!
How to Make Chocolate Peanut Butter
- ¼ - ¾ tsp. kosher salt
- 1 ½ cups (173 grams) powdered sugar
- 2 cups (300 grams) unsalted shelled peanuts
- ½ cup (46 grams) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil or peanut oil
- 1Put the peanuts to the baking pan. Roast the peanuts for 3 minutes. Shake the pan and roast for 3 - 5 minutes or until they have smelled nutty and turned browned. Set aside to cool.Switch on the oven at 177 degrees Celsius (350 degrees).Advertisement
- 2Blend for 1 minute. Afterwards, scrape with spatula. Let it blend for another 2 - 3 minutes until the peanut butter becomes smooth. Add1 ½ tsp. of honey and1/2 tsp. of salt and blend. Then add 2 tsp. of oil. Add oil if necessary. When the peanut butter is smooth, add the oil, salt, powdered sugar, and cocoa powder. Blend for minutes until turns shiny.Put the roasted peanut in the food processor.
How to Make Almond Peanut Butter
- ¼ - ¾ tsp. kosher salt
- 1 - 2 tbsp. vegetable oil or peanut oil, reserve extra
- 150 grams (1cup) unsalted shelled peanuts
- 1 - 2 tsp. honey
- 150 grams (1 cup) unsalted whole almonds
- 1Measure 1/3 cup of roasted peanuts. Place it in the food processor. Pulse it for 8 to 10 times until the peanuts are turns into smaller pieces. Then combine the chopped almonds into the peanut butter. Then pulse the roasted almonds and peanut butter into the food processor. Add ½ tsp. of honey, ½ tbsp. of oil and ½ tsp. of salt. Add oil as necessary.Prepare the basic peanut butter.
Peanut Butter - Banana Semifreddo
Makes 6 servings
Total Time: 45 minutes
- ¼ cup unsalted roasted peanuts
- Cooking spray
- 4 tbsp. unsalted butter, melted
- 5 graham cracker sheets, roughly broken
Ice cream ingredients:
- 2 tbsp. hazelnut liqueur
- 8 large egg yolks
- 1 ripe banana, pureed
- ¾ cup sugar
- Pinch of salt
- ¾ cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1Place plastic wrap in it. Make a 2 inch overhang on the sides. Spray the plastic wrap. Pulse the graham crackers and peanuts in the food processor. Add melted butter and blend. Then pour into the prepared baking pan then refrigerate.Spray cooking spray to a baking pan.
To prepare the ice cream:
Simmer 2 inches of water in a saucepan at medium flame. Then add ice water. In a separate huge bowl, whisk ½ cup sugar, egg yolks, hazelnut liqueur, banana puree, and salt. Put the bowl over the simmering water but do not allow the bowl to touch the water. continue whisking the ingredients in the bowl while it is place above the pot. Then lift from the pot and add ice water to let it cool.
- 1Then coat the cream into the banana custard.Beat ¼ cup sugar and heavy cream using a mixer.
- 2Put a spoonful of peanut butter in the banana cream. Coat the crust with the mixture. Cover with plastic wrap and let it freeze for a minimum of 9 hours and until it becomes firm. Remove the food from the plastic wrap and slice into 1 inch size pieces.Place the peanut butter in a microwave for 20 seconds, then set aside to cool.
Ice Box Café Peanut Butter Ice Cream Cake
Makes 6 servings
Preparation Time: 1 hour
Cooking Time: 30 minutes
Inactive: 4 minutes
Ingredients for Chocolate cake:
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup oil
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup of milk
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 cup Dutch cocoa powder
- 1 cup coffee, brewed strongly
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- Pinch salt
Ingredients for Cream cake:
- 2 cups creamy peanut butter
- 1 pint chocolate ice cream
- Chocolate cake
- 1 pint vanilla ice cream
- 1Prepare the baking pan by greasing it with butter then line with parchment paper.Preheat the oven at 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- 2Add the vanilla extract and eggs then continue mixing. Add the coffee and milk.Blend the sugar and oil in a mixer.
- 3Let the dry ingredients be absorbed by the wet ingredients.Sift the dry ingredients and combine them into the wet ingredients at 3 batches.
- 4Bake for 25 minutes. Before unmolding, let it cool. After it cools, unmold it and refrigerate overnight.Pour the mixture in the prepared baking pan.
- 5slice the chocolate cake horizontally at 2 layers and transfer the other slice of layer in another plate.In making the ice cream cake:
- 6The plastic wrap will allow the ice cream cake to be removed. Then put the chocolate cake.In the same baking pan, line a plastic wrap.
- 7Let it soften but do not turn it runny. Pour the ice cream into the chocolate cake. Spread the ice cream evenly using a spatula or the back of the spoon. Put it in the freezer for about 2 hours.Put the chocolate ice cream in a mixer.
- 8Microwave for about 2 minutes. Pour the peanut butter on top of the chocolate ice cream. Spread the peanut butter evenly. Place in a freezer.Put 2 cups of peanut butter in a microwave to soften but not turn runny.
- 9Put a hot towel above the pan for few minutes. Pull the plastic wrap if it won't slide automatically. Top with whipped cream or melted chocolate.You unmold it by invert the cake into a plate.
Types of Peanut Butter
- 1It does not contain hydrogenated oil so the oil becomes separated with the peanut butter over the long run. You stir it to bring back the even mixture of the oil and peanut butter. This kind of peanut butter needs to be refrigerated. This must be consume within the 6 months.Natural peanut butter contains 100% peanuts and few pinch of salt.
- 2This contains 60% peanut butter. This do not require to be refrigerated. For further details of the peanut butter, you look for its label.Peanut butter spreads.
- 3This contains 90% peanuts. Other content are salt, sugar, stabilizer like hydrogenated oil. Hydrogenated oil do not allow the separation of oil and peanut butter and enhance the shelf life of the peanut butter. A 2 tbsp. of peanut butter of this contains 3 grams of saturated fat, 16 grams of fat, and 190 calories. This has a shelf life of about 12 months.Regular peanut butter.
- 4This is the peanut butter that you can produce at home. Using blender you mix the roasted peanuts, salt, safflower oil. The oil makes the peanut butter smooth.Homemade peanut butter.
Nutrition in Peanut Butter
- 1it is good for the cardiovascular. Hydrogenated fats are trans-fatty acids that induce diseases like cancer. Peanut butter is not classified as complete protein because it is a vegetative protein and not from animals. If the idea meet you that peanut butter increase the size of the butt, peanut butter do not provide calories on a specific part of the body, rather it distributes the calories all throughout your body. It also applies with other foods.It is rich in protein, restravol (an antioxidant phytochemical that is also found in red wine), monounsaturated fat, vitamin B, potassium, etc.
- 2It lets you feel full for longer. Choose full-fat peanut butter. Do not be afraid of fat since it is also needed for your health.Peanut butter can help you lose weight.
- 3It fights aging because of its resveratrol content.
- 4It fights against cancer because of its antioxidants.
How to Select the Right Peanut
- 1The peanut do not smell musty or spoiled.
- 2It has no insect damage.
- 3Shake the peanuts, if it rattles that means its peanut kernels are dry.
- 4The shell must be without dark spots and cracks.
- 1A peanut butter can be totally peanut. And it makes it a good source of protein. If you to keep the separation of oil from the peanut, use solid oil like coconut oil, palm oil, or cocoa butter.As you further work with the peanut butter, you must reduce using oil until you don't use oil completely.
- 2You can also leave peanut chunks on the peanut butter not just the smooth ground peanut butter.
- 3In a peanut butter you may use peanuts, pecans, cashews, almonds, hazelnuts, and other kinds of nuts.
- 4You can also not use salt at all.If the peanut butter tastes salty to taste, add honey or sugar.
- 5To chop peanuts you can use food processor or mezzaluna, a kind of knife which is curved.
- 6Shelled peanuts will last in the refrigerator for 3 months and for 6 months in the freezer.
- 7The peanuts should not be chopped if not used immediately.