Make Holly Leaves and Berries Hair Accessories
Edited by Laurel Waddell, Eng, Lynn
The sweet aroma of pumpkin pie, spiced cider and pungent scent of pine bring me wonderful memories of holiday gatherings and traditions.
I have many happy memories of Christmas caroling, twinkling lights and beautiful decorations. One of the most impressionable decorations, for me, is shiny holly leaves with their cheerful, bright red berries. Here is a fun and festive, yet simple, way to add to the Christmas atmosphere. Make yourself some Holly Leaves and Berries Hair Accessories and wear them as you spend time with friends and family this Christmas season. This project is also quick, simple enough for an older child to help with, and inexpensive enough to make hair accessories for several others as gifts.
Tools and Materials
- 1Small scissors with a sharp narrow point (I find that small scissors are best for cutting around small patterns, and scissors with a sharp point make it easier to cut into tight angles and curves.)Advertisement
- 2Tape measureAdvertisement
- 3Standard sharp needle
- 4Hot glue gun
- 5Patterns - sketch or trace two sizes of holly leaves into a piece of paper and cut out for patterns:
- Larger holly leaf (1 3/4 inches by 1 inch)
- Smaller holy leaf (1 1/2 inches by 3/4 inch)
- 6Shiny glass beads
- 7Light green felt
- 8Dark green felt
- 9Skein of dark green floss that matches the dark green felt
- 10Package of bobby-pins
How to put this little holiday craft all together
- 1Using your larger pattern, cut out eight dark green leaves.Advertisement
- 7Do this for each of the remaining leaves.
- 8Now find three leaves that you added bobby pin loops to, and two that you did not attach loops to. Sew three red glass beads near the top point of these five leaves. (Sew at the point that you did not glue, so the needle will slip easily though the felt.)
- 9Set aside three of the leaves that have both red beads and bobby pin loops.
- 11Hot glue these two pieces together where they overlap.
- 12Repeat this exact process.
- 13Now add the last leaf without beads and a bobby pin loop to the back of the top edge of the leaf on the left.
- 14Hot glue these two pieces together where they overlap.
- 15You should end up with three single leaves, a set of double leaves, and a set of triple leaves.
- 17You are finished making your first set of Holly Leaves and Berries Hair Accessories.
- 18These hair accessories are decorative and bright, and the bobby pins will easily slip into a braid, ponytail, or bun.
- 19The holidays are a wonderful time to craft together with our children, a pleasant occasion to dress up, and the best time to give homemade gifts. These little holly leaves and berries offer all these aspects in one activity.
Try this variation for a little girl
- 1Instead of beads, use little red buttons.
There is no user reviews.