Make Easy, No Fuss Sugar Cookies
Edited by Rebecca M., Eng, Lynn, Rafah Perlado and 2 others
Sugar cookies are great anytime, but they are especially nice around the holidays. Sugar cookie dough can be hard to work with and these cookies are perfect when you don't have all day to spend fighting with sticky dough and cookie cutters.
The round shape makes them easy to decorate for any occasion, whether it's for a holiday or just an everyday treat.
- 12 ¾ cups all-purpose flourAdvertisement
- 21 teaspoon baking sodaAdvertisement
- 3½ teaspoon baking powder
- 4¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 5¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 61 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened to room temperature
- 71 ½ cups white sugar
- 81 large egg
- 91teaspoon vanilla extract
- 10¼ teaspoon salt
- 11Colored or plain sugar for coating
- 1Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 C).Advertisement
- 2In a small bowl, combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, nutmeg, and cinnamon. Set aside.
- 3In a large bowl, cream together the sugar and butter until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla until well combined. Cover dough with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 15-30 minutes or until dough is firm enough to handle easily.
- 4When dough is cool enough to be firm, remove it from the refrigerator.
- 5Roll heaping teaspoons of the dough into balls and place them on an ungreased cookie sheet.
- 6Moisten the bottom of a glass and dip it into colored or plain sugar and use it to slightly flatten each cookie (re-coat bottom of glass after each cookie).
- 7Bake in a preheated oven for 9-11 minutes or until cookies are golden brown.
- 8Let cookies stand on baking sheet for one to two minutes before removing to wire rack to cool completely. Makes approximately 4 dozen cookies.
How to Make Colored Sugar
- 1Place white sugar into a bowl.
- Using colored sugars to dip your glass in will give your cookies a more festive look when they are done. The sugar melts somewhat during baking and makes a glazed look.
- You can also use coarse sugar to give your cookies a "frosty" look. While these cookies taste great without any frosting, kids will have a great time turning them into anything from a Christmas ornament to a smiley face with different colored icings.
There is no user reviews.