Make Christmas Candy
Edited by sheryl hernandez, Liezel, Eng, Rebecca M. and 1 other
Making candy during the Christmas season is a tradition that everyone can love. There are many different types of candy to make, but one of the most popular is fudge. Whether it is chocolate, peanut butter, or both, fudge is easy to make and it's always a hit. This recipe is so simple that even beginners will have no problem whipping up some candy for their holiday guests.
- 2 cups of white sugar
- 1/2 cup of milk
- 3/4 cup of peanut butter (crunchy or plain)
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla
Here's how to do it:
- 1Lightly oil or spray an 8x8 baking dish or pan.Advertisement
- 2In a medium saucepan, pour the milk over sugar.Advertisement
- 3Bring the mixture to a boil over medium heat, constantly stirring to prevent the milk from scalding.
- 4As soon as the milk and sugar begin to boil, mix in the peanut butter and vanilla and set a timer for 2 1/2 minutes. As you stir you will see everything melting very nicely.
- 5After 2 1/2 minutes check the temperature with a candy thermometer if you have one. The temperature should be between 234 and 238 degrees F. If you don't have a thermometer, drop a bit of the mixture into a cup of cold water. It should form a soft ball as it hits the cold water.
- 6When the proper temperature is reached (or it forms a soft ball in water), pour the fudge into your prepared pan and let it cool.
- 7Once it is completely cool, cut it into small pieces and store it in a sealed container.
Significance of Candies During Christmas
- 1Christmas is a season for children. The festivities during the Christmas season are always well-loved by children. Also, because the Savior is born on this day, Christmas then becomes a celebration of children. Therefore, candies have become popular because it symbolizes generosity towards children and letting them enjoy the season.
Typical Variations of Candies During Christmas
- 1Candy cane. This is the most traditional form of candy that dates back from ancient times. Typical flavor is minty sweet, although other flavors have also been available.
- 2Candies in the form of Christmas balls. A lot of households do this now. They would wrap the typical candies with shiny wrappers and hang these balls of candies to the tree. Therefore, it functions as a decoration and treat for kids during Christmas day.
- 3Candies in baskets. Most families like to do it this way. They would fill a huge basket with candies and let all of their kids just get as much as they want on Christmas day. This definitely adds excitement to the day.
- 4Candies for hunting. Some parents would use candies to facilitate a game. They would be hiding several candies everywhere and let the kids fill their Christmas socks with candies that they find. Whoever gets the most number of candies would win more candies. This definitely makes all kids really excited and it helps siblings and cousins and playmates bond even more during this day.