Edited by Seighart, Nate Pepperell, Rose B, Lynn and 2 others
Chahan is the Japanese version of fried rice, which is influenced by Chinese cooking. This is closely related to the Chinese Chao Fan. Chahan is fried rice made from cold rice, which is stir fried in a wok. The cold rice is often mixed with cubed scrambled eggs, vegetables and meat. The vegetables can include, but are not limited to carrots, celery, corn, green peas and green onions, while the meat that is added can be chicken, pork, sausage, ham, bacon or spam. It is then seasoned with condiments like soy sauce, pepper, olive oil and sake. One of the best accompaniments for this recipe is Pork Tonkatsu, a fried pork chop with a Japanese-style barbecue sauce.
- 11/3 cup butter
- 2¼ cup white onions, minced
- 32 tablespoons carrots, minced
- 41/3 cup ground pork
- 52 tablespoons bell pepper, minced
- 61 teaspoon Japanese soy sauce
- 72 tablespoon white sugar
- 81 egg beaten
- 93 cups cooked cold rice
- 10¼ teaspoon salt
- 11¼ teaspoon pepper
- 1Place the wok on top of the stove with low fire.
- 2Melt in the butter.
- 4Add the ground pork and stir continuously until the meat changes color.
- 5Blend well with the ingredients.Add the bell pepper, followed by the Japanese soy sauce and sugar.
- 6Stir until the egg coagulates and the rest of the ingredients are coated.Beat the egg and add it in the wok.
- 7Add the cooked cold rice and blend well until the rice is coated by the other ingredients.
- 8Season with salt and pepper
- 12 large piece of pork chop
- 21 cup evaporated milk
- 3½ cup all purpose flour
- 4Salt and pepper, to taste
- 51 egg
- 61 cup Panko (Japanese bread crumbs)
- 7Oil for frying
- 2Slice each cutlet into two pieces.
- 4Marinate in a cup of evaporated milk for 15 minutes.
- 5Dust and rub each side with salt and pepper.
- 6Coat the cutlets with all purpose flour.
- 7Coat the cutlets with the beaten egg.Beat the egg.
- 9Add ¾ cup of oil.Heat a pan over medium heat.
- 10The ideal time to cook pork chop is about 3 to 4 minutes each side. This is long enough for the pork to tenderize, but still be juicy. Over-cooking will lead to a dry pork chop.Fry each side until golden brown.
- 1In a small bowl, combine all the ingredients.
- 3If not, you may store the sauce into a airtight container and refrigerate. This will last for a month.Use immediately.
To enjoy this Japanese Cuisine
- 1Place the Chahan in a bowl.
- 2Top the fried rice with the Tonkatsu.
- 3Drizzle the Tonkatsu sauce on top of the pork chop.
- 4Eat using chopsticks.
- If you cannot find Panko (Japanese breadcrumbs) you can use any kind of breadcrumbs that are available.
- If you do not have Japanese soy sauce, you can use any local soy sauce that is available.
- Without the use of thermometer, you can tell if the oil is ready for frying by flicking a few drops of water in. If it sizzles, it is good to go.
- Photos above are just sample brands of the ingredients. This does not mean that the same brands are needed in preparing this recipe. You can always change things according to what you prefer.
- The pictures are just sample photos on how to execute certain procedures.
If you have problems with any of the steps in this article, please ask a question for more help, or post in the comments section below.