Make Ayurvedic Hair Oil at Home Coconut Oil vs Tulsi Hair Oil vs Curry Leaves ... and 6 more
Edited by Graciela Franchesca Rosario, Eng, Maria Sharon Ubando, karishma and 13 others
A visit to the salon might make your hair shiny and healthy, but it can be expensive to go often. Luckily, there is a way you can achieve the same results at home by using homemade oils. Ayurvedic Medicine was developed in India and is one of the world's oldest holistic wellness systems.
Herbal hair treatments, like Ayurvedic shampoo, Ayurvedic oil, amla hair oil, and bhringaraj hair oil among others, may help your hair grow and stay nourished. The homemade hair care recipes below may help you to achieve the hair you've always wanted.
Method 1: Coconut Oil
Many of the following recipes use coconut oil as a base. You can purchase coconut oil from the store, or make it yourself following the directions below. Coconut oil does many things to help improve the condition of your hair and scalp. A few benefits of using coconut oil are:
- Helps to protect hair and roots from breakage
- Seals in moisture and provides nutrients
- Improves blood circulation to the scalp
- Has both anti-fungal and antibacterial properties
Make sure that your coconut oil is unrefined if you purchase it from the store for the best healing properties.
- 1 Directions for making coconut oil
- 2 Ingredients
- 3 Instructions
- 4 Instructions for Use
- 5 Ingredients
- 6 Instructions
- 7 Directions for Use
- 8 Ingredients
- 9 Directions
- 10 Directions for Use
- 11 Ingredients
- 12 Directions
- 13 Directions for Use
- 14 Ingredients for Brahmi Hair Oil
- 15 Directions
- 16 Directions for Use
- 17 Ingredients for Brahmi Hair Paste
- 18 Directions
- 19 Directions for Use
- 20 Ingredients
- 21 Directions
- 22 Directions for Use
23 Questions and Answers
- 23.1 Can we use hibiscus leaves mixed with Aloe Vera for hair?
- 23.2 How to make Brahmi oil at home?
- 23.3 With the Ayurvedic treatment to make hair thicker, what is use of hibiscus flower?
- 23.4 How to prepare hair oil for faster hair growth and to prevent thinning and balding?
- 23.5 Which is best for dandruff Aloe Vera, Amla, hibiscus, methi, bhringraj, Brahmi or curry leaves?
- 23.6 Bhrangraj powder turn white hair to black?
- 23.7 My hair has become very thin, hair fall is too much, hair is very weak, kept on cutting and has become very short, my brother's marriage is after 3 months and want to look beautiful with attractive hair please provide me a solution?
- 23.8 I have severe hair fall within roots?
- 23.9 Hi there. I was wondering if there is a limit to a number of herbs you can mix together in a tea?
- 23.10 Hair loss and very thin for a 6 years old child?
- 23.11 Hi, I am from India. I have thick coarse dry frizzy, whatever you can describe for the most dreadful hair that even salon people are scared of combing and trimming?
- 23.12 I am facing bald problem, I am a female of 33 years?
- 23.13 Hi dear, thank you so much for the help?
- 24 Comments
Directions for making coconut oil
Method 2: Tulsi Hair Oil
The health of your scalp influences the health of your hair. If your scalp gets bumps, boils, or dry with dandruff, Tusli oil can be a remedy. This oil is used to treat and help prevent scalp problems.
- 1-2 bunches of Tulsi leaves (enough to make 10 tsp. of tulsi paste)
- 1/2 cup Coconut oil
- 1-3 Fenugreek or corn kernels
Instructions for Use
Additional Tips and Suggestions
- Tulsi powder may also be used instead of tulsi leaves.
- Heat the oil indirectly by placing it into a heat-safe container then placing the container into hot water.
- Do not overheat the oil as it can cause burns.
- Do not use the oil in place of your regular hair conditioner.
Method 3: Curry Leaves
This herbal hair secret is an old remedy for hair loss, damaged roots, and improving hair health overall.
There are three ways that you can use curry leaves to improve the health of your hair.
- 1Hair tonic.
- Ingredients needed: 2-3 leaves of Karuvepillai or curry leaves and 1/2 cup coconut oil.
- Directions: Combine curry leaves and coconut oil in a pan. Bring to a boil. Boil until a black residue is formed. Let the mix cool. Apply black residue to your scalp. Leave on for 1 hour then wash off with a mild shampoo. Apply this twice a week and you may be able to see results in about fifteen days. This hair tonic may help to stimulate hair growth and prevent graying.
- Ingredients needed: 2-3 bunches of curry leaves and yogurt.
- Directions: Make a paste out of curry leaves by grinding them up. Add paste to yogurt and apply to hair. Keep the mixture on for 20-25 minutes and rinse. Apply once per week.
- Ingredients needed: Curry Leaves, sugar, and lemon are optional.
- Directions: Boil curry leaves in water and allow the leaves to steep. Make a tea. Sweeten with sugar or add lemon for flavor if you wish. Drink every day for a week. Curry tea may help hair growth, make your hair smoother, shinier and prevent gray hairs. Curry leaf tea may also be good for the digestive system.
Method 4: Hibiscus Hair Oil
You can buy hibiscus flowers and leaves from a store, or find it in many home gardens. Hibiscus contains properties that can prevent hair from falling out, as well as help fight dandruff. It may also help to make your hair thicker.
Any kind of hibiscus flower can be used for this mixture, but red ones seem to work best, and the thicker the leaves the better.
- 5 fresh hibiscus flowers, leaves included
- Coconut oil
- Optional: 3 tulsi leaves
- 1Chop the flowers and leaves. You may use a grinder or mixer to crush it. The consistency need not be pasty. Add more flowers as necessary until you get ½ cup of the crushed flowers.
- 2Heat the cut herbs in a pan.
- 3Stir in coconut oil on low heat.
- 4Optional: When the mixture starts to smoke, add 3 tulsi leaves.
- 5Turn off heat and filter out the oil. Store in bottle or container.
Directions for Use
- Massage into scalp.
- Leave on for 10 minutes, then rinse.
- Apply weekly for best results.
Method 5: Amla Hair Oil
Amla hair oil is known for helping hair growth. It can also be used as a remedy for fungal infections, dandruff, and hair loss. Consistent use of the oil may lead to faster results.
- 2 tsp Amla powder
- 1 tsp Fenugreek powder
- Coconut oil
- 1Mix the amla with the fenugreek.
- 2Pour coconut oil over the mixture until it turns into a paste.
- 3Heat the paste on a pan on low heat, stirring.
- 4Turn off heat when the paste turns brown.
Directions for Use
- Heat oil before applying.
- The recommended frequency is 3 times per week.
- Let sit for a few minutes, then rinse. For even better results, use green gram powder or shikakai instead of shampoo to rinse.
- Do not refrigerate.
- Shelf-life is 2 weeks. Discard any product remaining after this time period.
- Do not overheat or you could burn yourself.
Method 6: Coconut Hair Oil
If you are using fresh coconut, make sure it is dry and ripe.
- 1 cup of coconut milk
- 1 cup of coconut oil
- 5 Tsp brahmi powder
- 1 Tsp tulsi leaf paste or powder
- 2 Tsp Aloe Vera
- Fenugreek or corn grains
- 1Mix Aloe Vera, tulsi paste or powder, and brahmi powder together.
- 2Heat coconut milk in a skillet on low heat.
- 3Add the herb mixture to the milk.
- 4Once the milk starts to boil, add fenugreek or corn.
- 5Remove from heat when grains pop. Watch this mixture closely so it doesn't burn.
Directions for Use
- Heat before applying.
- Massage oil onto your scalp, leave in for 10 minutes, then rinse.
- The first application may lead to some hair falling out. This is normal, do not be alarmed! You will see improvement with continued use.
- Overheating the oil can cause burns to skin.
Method 7: Brahmi Hair Treatments
In ancient times, brahmi oil was used to induce hair growth. It is also said to help enhance memory. It makes great conditioner when applied to wet hair, resulting in beautiful, thick hair. Brahmi oil can help prevent hair loss since it has properties which help hair roots hold strongly to the scalp. You can make your own or buy it from markets.
Ingredients for Brahmi Hair Oil
- 5-10 tsp brahmi powder
- Coconut oil
- 1Heat the coconut oil in a pan.
- 2Mix brahmi powder into the oil.
- 3Stir and heat on low for a few minutes.
- 4Remove from heat and store.
Directions for Use
- If using on dry hair, apply every other day. On wet hair, you can use this every time you shower.
- Heat a few teaspoons of the oil.
- Massage it into your hair and let sit for 10-15 minutes. Rinse.
Additional Tips and Suggestions
- Brahmi oil can be used on dry or wet hair.
- Do not over heat the oil as it may cause burns.
Ingredients for Brahmi Hair Paste
- Brahmi leaves or powder
- 1If using leaves: Grind leaves into a paste.
- 2If using powder: Soak the powder in lukewarm water and use it overnight.
Directions for Use
- Massage into hair and scalp.
- Leave in for 20 minutes.
- Apply nightly for best results.
Method 8: Bhringraj
Bhringraj is also known as "The king of herbs" due to its proven properties of inducing hair growth. Bhringraj aids in curing alopecia, baldness, and premature graying.
- a handful of Bhringraj leaves or 3 Tsp. Bhringraj powder
- almost 1 cup (200 ml) coconut oil
- fenugreek seeds
- 1Roughly chop leaves.
- 2Heat 1 cup (200 ml) coconut oil.
- 3When the oil is hot, add the bhringraj leaves or powder.
- 4Heat the mixture for about five minutes.
- 5Throw in a teaspoon of fenugreek seeds.
- 6Boil for a further five minutes.
- 7Turn off the heat and allow it to cool.
- 8Strain the mixture.
Directions for Use
- Massage into scalp and hair thoroughly for about 10 minutes.
- Cover hair with a towel and leave the mixture on for at least an hour.
- Wash hair with a mild shampoo.
Additional Tips and Suggestions
- Apply before going to bed and wash off the next morning.
- Cover hair with a towel or shower cap to prevent any oil from getting onto your bed.
Method 9: Ayurvedic Hair Treatments for Hair Regrowth
There are a number of reasons for hair loss. One of these is using the wrong shampoo. You can help battle hair loss with homemade herbal oils like the ones below:
Also known as Indian goose berry, Amla has been used for thousand years to provide hair care.
Amla and Shikakai
Frequent coloring of hair may damage hair. To revive color-damaged hair, you can use Amla and Shikakai. This combination helps fight gray hair, prevents dandruff, and makes the hair strong. It works on the roots of your hair instead of the hair itself, revitalizing it. The hair that will grow back will grow faster and stronger.
Amla and Methi Hair Pack
To help the hair grow, apply a methi and fenugreek mixture to your hair. To make a solution:
- Create a powder of a slightly roasted fenugreek seeds then store.
- Soak a cup of amla powder with one cup of methi powder in lukewarm water for one day.
- Use this the next day, and apply to your scalp with a gentle massage, leave in for 20 minutes, then rinse.
Neem and Amla
Boils do not only grow on the skin but on scalps too. This is due to bacteria that has accumulated in the area. To prevent boils on your scalp, you need to keep your head and hair clean. Use a combination of a high quality shampoo, and a Neem and Amla mix. The plants have antibacterial and cleaning properties, and fight against boils and prevent dandruff.
Soak neem and amla powders overnight in lukewarm water. You can also make a paste out of neem leaves. Apply the solution to your hair for 20 minutes whenever you shower.
Questions and Answers
Can we use hibiscus leaves mixed with Aloe Vera for hair?
I have hibiscus flowers and Aloe Vera in my garden. Can I just combine them into one oil?
Yes, you can use the hibiscus leaves and mix them with Aloe Vera for a hair treatment. In fact, the hibiscus leaves and flowers are one of the best home-remedy ingredients in making the hair more softer, promoting hair growth, reducing dandruff and curbing hair loss. Aloe Vera nourishes, conditions, and moisturizes the hair to make it healthier. Here's a good homemade recipe for hair using Aloe Vera and hibiscus leaf:
You will need:
- 1 whole leaf of Aloe Vera
- 20 to 30 hibiscus leaves
Simply extract the gel from the Aloe Vera leaf, grind the hibiscus leaves with mortar and pestle and mix them to form a sticky paste. Apply the mixture to your scalp then to your hair and leave it for about 30 minutes to 1 hour then rinse with water. For best results, cover your hair with a shower cap.
See more questions like this: I am using cury leavetonic but my hair is falling too much and my scalp is seen clearly?
How to make Brahmi oil at home?
To make your own Brahmi oil at home, you will need the following:
- Your favorite kind of oil (example: coconut oil)
- Brahmi powder
- Take one cup of oil of choice in a heating pan/pot
- Add 5-10 Tsp. of Brahmi powder
- Mix with oil
- Heat oil slowly on low
- When it starts to fume, add a few grains of fenugreek to hot oil (they will pop up), when pop happens, turn off burner
- Before mixture turns dark, make sure you turn it off the burner and remove the pot
- Allow oil mix to cool
- Place oil to container
With the Ayurvedic treatment to make hair thicker, what is use of hibiscus flower?
What makes the hibiscus flower so good for hair treatment?
The hibiscus flower helps grow thicker hair. It contains hyaluronic acid and is rich in linolenic. These aid in making your hair grow longer and thicker.
The hibiscus flower is also good in keeping your hair moisturized and prevents it from getting split ends. It nourishes the hair from root to tip, keeping it healthy and strong.
You can use the flower as a rinse or use it as oil for your hair.
The hibiscus flower is also known as the "Rose Mallow," "Jabakusum," or "Jaswand." In Ayurvedic or Hindi medicine, it is used for a variety of treatments including the management of cholesterol levels, as a diuretic and laxative, and as a remedy for different skin and hair conditions.
To help promote thicker hair, hibiscus flowers are cooked in sesame or coconut oil and then left to cool. When the mixture is ready, massage it into the hair and scalp. You can wash it off with a very mild shampoo. You can also opt for the powder form if you are uncomfortable with the greasy feel of oil.
The use of hibiscus flowers for hair is known to enhance or stimulate hair growth, thicken and strengthen hair strands, dye the hair to improve color (combined with henna or lime), prevents premature gray hair, and minimizes split ends.
See more questions like this: How to use hibiscus flower and leaves to grow hair at home
See more questions like this: How to preserve it in order to make it last so I can use it
How to prepare hair oil for faster hair growth and to prevent thinning and balding?
How can I prepare oil with home ingredients for faster hair growth, and prevent hair fall dandruff? My hair is thin and damaged.
You can use olive oil mixed with some Aloe Vera gel. Olive oil is known to encourage hair growth while the Aloe Vera gel will strengthen the hair that grows back. Making it is simple: just prepare a cup with about 3 tablespoons of olive oil and combine it with a good heaping of Aloe Vera gel. Apply onto your hair generously. You have to do this on a consistent basis in order to actually see results.
See more questions like this: If I use methi with coconut oil will my hair grow longer
Which is best for dandruff Aloe Vera, Amla, hibiscus, methi, bhringraj, Brahmi or curry leaves?
The Aloe Vera is one of the most widely used home-remedies for dandruff because of its various benefits on hair. The Aloe Vera health benefits on hair include:
- Anti-fungal and anti-bacterial properties. This makes aloe one of the best natural home-remedy for dandruff. One of the factors that lead to the formation of dandruff on the scalp is fungal infections, and Aloe Vera combats that.
- Aloe Vera is a great moisturizer. Dandruff makes the hair and scalp dry and flaky. Aloe Vera helps moisturize the dry and flaky scalp and hair.
- It has a soothing effect. Dandruff often makes the scalp itchy. The Aloe Vera gel helps soothe the scalp and reduce the itchy feeling.
- Helps in hair growth. Studies show that Aloe Vera helps in hair growth by efficiently increasing the blood flow in the scalp. It also contains enzymes that aid in hair growth.
Aloe Vera has various health benefits for hair use, preventing dryness and dandruff, balancing the natural oil in the hair, and cooling and refreshing effect the scalp.
Bhrangraj powder turn white hair to black?
Would bhrangraj powder help my graying hair?
Yes, it will. Bhrangraj, otherwise known as "Eclipta alba," can effectively turn white or grey hair to black hair. Bhrangraj has been commonly used as an ayurvedic remedy in India because of its various benefits on hair, one of which is restoring the hair's natural black color and preventing premature graying. Bhrangraj powder can effectively darken white hair because it contains various compounds like protein, ecliptine (responsible in making its natural black dye) and anti-oxidants which effectively help in restoring the hair's natural black color, enhance hair growth, and prevents graying of the hair. Bhringaraj powder is one of the oldest ayurvedic remedies for hair loss, premature graying of hair, and hair and scalp problems. Even the name bhrangraj means "ruler of the hair"!
Below are some ways to use effectively the bhringaraj powder:
- As a daily tonic. Add 1 teaspoon bhringaraj powder to your favorite drinks.
- As a hair paste. Mix bhringaraj powder and water to make a thick paste and apply it on your hair in a massaging manner then rinse after 45 minutes.
- Repeat regularly for a few weeks to see best results.
See more questions like this: Baldness has started showing on my head, so also hair is getting white. My age is 65
My hair has become very thin, hair fall is too much, hair is very weak, kept on cutting and has become very short, my brother's marriage is after 3 months and want to look beautiful with attractive hair please provide me a solution?
My hair has become very thin, falls out too much, and is very weak. I kept cutting it, and it has become very short. My brother's marriage is in 3 months and want to look beautiful with attractive hair. Please provide me a solution!
If your hair is in such a bad condition now, you may want to select shampoos which are specifically intended for damaged hair.
Also, using Aloe Vera regularly for a period of time can help a lot in nourishing your hair, making it thicker, and generally getting it healthier. Applying olive oil at night before your go to bed will also help in repairing the damages to your hair.
I have severe hair fall within roots?
I am 30 years old female. I am having severe hair fall with the routes. I don't know, someone told me I am suffering from Alopecia. Every alternate day I need to wash my hair. Earlier I had a lot of Scaly Dandruff with lots of Etching on my scalp. Now my Dandruff is gone but my hair fall is too much, and sometimes I feel too itching on my scalp. My Scalp sweats a lot and it is very hot when I put my hand at my scalp. You can say no strength in my hair. Every time I tie my hair, I find hair in my hand. I have lost almost 60-70% of my hair. Can you please help me so that I can regain my hair and stop hair fall. Regards
The symptoms you are describing appear to be a fungal infection. To treat a fungal infection on the scalp you will need a three part process:
- Combine 3 drops of Tea Tree oil with 1/8 cup of coconut oil. Massage this into your scalp twice a week and leave it in for 20 minutes or overnight to wash in the morning.
- Add 20 drops of Tea Tree oil to a mild daily shampoo. If you are using a larger bottle increase the Tea Tree oil ratio.
- Combine 6 drops of Tea Tree oil with equal parts of Apple Cider Vinegar and water together in a spray bottle. Spray lightly on your hair concentrating on your scalp and hair root several times a day.
If the problem persists after these treatments, please contact a dermatologist for further treatment.
Hi there. I was wondering if there is a limit to a number of herbs you can mix together in a tea?
I currently steep approx. 10 Indian powders including henna with dried herbs of rosemary and carrot seed for 24hrs, then strain it and add Jamaican black castor oil and lavender EO (as a preservative) and use it as a hair spritz 2 - 3 times a week.
There really is no limit to a number of herbs you can add. The drawback will be that you might be able to determine what is working and what is not, however you may like the scent of an added herb that although does not have healing benefits, it provides aroma therapy benefits.
Hair loss and very thin for a 6 years old child?
The hair is very thin. Now she is using deedhi Aloe Vera shampoo, can she use that shampoo or not? I need a solution for hair falling.
The Aloe Vera Shampoo is a great solution for her as the Aloe Vera has moisturizing and healing properties for the hair root and shaft and the Deedhi promote hair keratinization. Try changing items from her regular diet to see if something she is consuming is causing her hair to thin. For example, a person with a gluten intolerance can have hair loss.
Hi, I am from India. I have thick coarse dry frizzy, whatever you can describe for the most dreadful hair that even salon people are scared of combing and trimming?
Can you please help me with a herbal solution Take a bit of coconut oil and apply it to damp hair starting at the ends. Avoid the root area as the coconut oil can weigh the roots down. Keep your hair in a bun when you sleep and make sure that your hair is hydrated with the coconut oil on a regular basis. You may want to keep a small container of the coconut oil with you all the time throughout the day to apply while on the go. Once a week do a hot oil treatment. Warm up olive, coconut or avocado oil and run it through your dry hair. Leave the treatment in for at least 30 minutes then shampoo and condition your hair as you regularly would.
I am facing bald problem, I am a female of 33 years?
I had hair fall problem since 2001, but I was not losing my hair but in 2011, I noticed that my hair is falling because my scalp was easily visible Aloe Vera has properties that promote new hair growth. Use a shampoo that contains Aloe Vera. Wait until your hair is completely dry before you brush or comb it. Avoid heat sources like hair dryers and straightening irons. Take an onion and grate it to extract onion juice, combine with Aloe Vera and egg white until you have enough to coat your hair. Use the treatment once a week on dry hair for at least 30 minutes then wash your hair as you normally would.
Hi dear, thank you so much for the help?
My hair is semi curly with brown texture, the problem part is hair growth, I want a long thick hair, I was having it so in school, I cut it and underwent lots of hairstyles, but since last one year I am focused on a long hair so have not done any haircut, I do use khadi shampoo and biotique bringraj oil, but still the growth is slow, please help
You are using a healthy hair regimen. Unfortunately, the hairstyles that you have had in the past may have damaged your hair which can cause breakage of the hair shaft slowing hair growth. The average person grows just a quarter of an inch of hair each month. Because your hair has a curl it can seem like it is taking longer for the length you desire. Continue to make sure your hair is hydrated. Avoid sun damage from UV rays by using a hair product that contains sunscreen agents.