Make American Sweet Ham
Edited by Rafah Perlado, Graeme, Lynn, Eng
This recipe calls for a 19 day preparation. So if you want to serve this on Christmas or New Year's make sure to prepare this recipe ahead of time. It's good to buy ready made ham in the grocery or elsewhere to save time and effort, but in some cases, it's nice to serve a home cooked meal that you really prepared all by yourself instead. It's refreshing to be old-school sometimes. Because of the rapid changes between the generations, even the simplest food preparation, it sometimes seems, are slowly becoming history.
- 11 kilo pork tenderloinAdvertisement
- 23/4 cup white sugarAdvertisement
- 33/4 cup salt
- 41 teaspoon salitre (curing salt)
- 52 cups water
- 61/2 cup red wine
- 73 tablets ascorbic acid - 500 grams
Note: Photos above are just sample brands of the ingredients. This does not mean that the same brands are needed in preparing this dish. You can always change things according to what you prefer.
- 1Pat dry with a clean cloth.Thoroughly wash the meat under running cold water.
- 2In a large bowl or container that comes with a lid, combine the sugar, salt, curing salt, water, red wine, and ascorbic acid.
- 3Stir until the ascorbic acid, salt, and sugar are dissolved.
- 4Add the dried meat.
- 5Poke the meat, using an ice pick or fork, so that the meat will absorb all of the flavors from the mixture.
- 6Cover the container with its lid and refrigerate.
- 7Make sure that every time you poke the meat, you also flip and rest it on its other side to fully soak the meat.Repeat steps 5 and 6 for three consecutive days.
- 8You just need to flip and change sides once a day.On the fourth day through the 18th day, you do not need to poke the meat anymore.
- 9On the 19th day, wash the meat three times.
- 10Wrap with a string in a criss-cross way (just like the way you see a typical hams with criss-cross lines).
- 11 small can of pineapple juiceAdvertisement
- 22/3 cup water
- 33/4 cup brown sugar
- 41 teaspoon salt
- 51 teaspoon black pepper
- 61/2 teaspoon oregano (or dried leaf of oregano)
- 71/2 teaspoon curry powder (or a small piece of cinnamon)
- 81 small laurel leaf
Note: Photos above are just sample brands of the ingredients. This does not mean that the same brands are needed in preparing this dish. You can always change things according to your preferences.
- 1In a deep pot combine all the cooking ingredients, then add the washed meat, and bring it to a boil.
- 2Wait until the meat is tenderized.
- 3Let the excess liquid drip off for a moment.Remove the meat from the pot and place it on a sieve or cooling rack.
- 4Remove the strings.
- 5Place in a baking tin (whatever shape or size, just make sure the meat has enough space to settle in)
- 7Then serve.Let it cool before slicing.
- You can also inject the meat to fill it with the marinating ingredients.
- If you do not have a bowl or container with a lid, you can always cover it using foil.
- If you do not have an oven, you can always use a kitchen torch or run a knife through a fire until well heated, then pass it through the sprinkled sugar for it to melt.
Categories : Meats & Main Dishes
Recent edits by: Lynn, Graeme, Rafah Perlado