Maintain energy while singing
Edited by Ian Gabriel T. Tolledo, Lynn, Angela, Grimm and 2 others
Admit it, singing is hard -- even professional singers experience distress or drop in their singing voice quality after a long or continuous singing session, how much more the amateurs right? However, it is possible to keep your voice in good quality while maintaining its clarity through simple steps. This article will discuss ways on how to maintain your energy while singing.
- 1Always, always warm up your voice before a singing session, and take note that it is not limited to vocal exercises. If you fail to do this, you will get hoarse easier and you will notice your voice quality dropping with every minute you sing. To warm up, simply do the following steps.Do warm ups.Advertisement
- Begin with stretching parts of your body, starting with the fingers, necks, shoulders, legs and lower muscles in your back to relax your body. Choir members and professional singers do this whenever they practice. It includes shoulder rolls, calf stretchers, toe touching, tongue lolling and stretching (remember to cover your mouth with palms), and face massage.
- Put your back straight up on a wall. This encourages good posture and helps with proper intake of air, as in breathing when you sing. This exercise is used also to stretch both the lungs and diaphragm. Exhale through your nose, filling first your stomach with air before your lungs. This encourages more air, thus more power and high notes when singing.
- Only after the above exercises should you proceed with voice warm ups, which includes humming Do-re-mi. Its as simple as that. Do not go over your range, but instead consciously base your voice production with your range capacity (overexertion or going beyond your range greatly increases the chance of your voice cracking during a performance).
- 2During a performance, you may notice that having something to eat beforehand can either make or break your singing quality. Below are some of the foods and drinks you must avoid before a performance.Avoid certain foods and activities.Advertisement
- Dairy products. You should avoid any dairy products at least 12 hours before you sing. These types of food can affect your vocal rhythm and voice clarity by forming air bubbles in your stomach lining -- imagine burping during your performance. Not a pleasant thought, right?
- Thick foods. These types of food or drinks can coat your throat with viscous fluid, and makes it harder to perform with a clear voice. This includes peanut butter, jellies, chocolate drinks, cakes and breads with cream, among others. One more thing: Whatever you do, NEVER DRINK SODAS before a performance.
- Smoking. You should never smoke, as it immediately starts a process of damaging both your lungs and your vocal cords It can also contribute to vocal nodules, night time allergies, and a host of other problems. If you smoke, but you want to be a singer, you need to quit smoking.
- 3Why would you? But you may for some reason. Try to avoid it, though, because straining your voice will not do you any good, especially when you have a singing engagement. Also refrain from clearing your throat, because this can scrape the insides of your esophagus.Do not shout.
- 4It all comes to this last thing here. The above instructions can help you to greatly enhance voice quality and maintain your energy while singing, but it's not foolproof. At the end of the day, you control your singing. Let each word be sung correctly and with clarity, understand the context of the song and sing as if it is your song, as if you composed the song yourself. THIS will help you maintain energy while you sing more than any advice anyone can give you, in short -- sing with character.Sing with conviction.
Why the limit?
Our vocal chords, just like every other parts of our body, undergo a series of functions to work properly, as in singing a song or simply speaking a word. In time, it can be strained and reach its limitation. Especially when singing, our voices are in constant strain. Most people can eventually learn to balance, slow down voice distress, or even avoid cracking voice when performing. It comes with practice and patience.
Tips Tricks & Warnings
- Practice makes perfect.
- Maintain a healthy lifestyle, and you will be surprised how much it affects your voice quality.
- Maintain good posture when singing.
- Warm up until you feel your voice exercised.
- Remember to do the right breathing exercises.
- Do not overexert when singing high or low notes or you will strain your voice.
- Do vocal warm-up and exercises everyday.
Questions and Answers
How to handle an air bubble in my stomach when singing?
Before any major singing performance, make sure that you do the following:
- 1avoid chewing gum
- 2avoid taking carbonated drinks (especially drinks with high fructose or sorbitol)
- 3avoid eating Brussels sprouts, turnips, cabbage, beans, and lentils
- 4eat slowly
- 5stop smoking
Once you have done this a few days before singing, it will be less. Do not strain yourself with practicing too much. But try to practice a little hours before. Do falsetto instead of belting it out to help you ease the pain when singing.
Categories : Health & Wellness
Recent edits by: Eng, Grimm, Angela