Maintain and keep a Healthy Laptop/PC
Edited by Eng, Jerry Rivers, Robbi, Dougie and 1 other
Most of us own a Laptop or a PC; we in general use it, for Gaming, getting into the Web, personal usage. Yet few of us take proper care of our device, either in Hardware perspective or software wise. It is a very wide topic, with so many things to watch for, in here I will try to cover as much as I recall of those aspects, and shall amend this article upon recalling new issues, and should any of you dear readers find a missed point, please kindly put your comment, and I shall amend accordingly.
The Article will be sub-branched into two branches, 1- Hardware wise, 2- Software wise.
Dusting and Heat issues
One of most overlooked issues is dusting and cleaning your Laptop or PC. If you hear a strange sound from your PC during running - Or if your computer shuts down unexpectedly after a short period of running, then it is time to take this step. It is most likely that your PC is overheating due to non-active Processor Fan. PC's especially will accumulate a lot of dust particles from the surrounding environment. It is an easy task to clean it. You simply are going to need a hair dryer.
- 1Unplug all cables and peripherals attached to your PC, START with power cable, then others.Advertisement
- 5As for Laptop, they will collect dust particles, yet the airing inlet holes are much finer.
- 6Don't over use your PC / Laptop in very hot weather.
Other Hardware issues you should pay attention to
- 1Grounding your Device.
- 2Clogged Wiring and Twisted Wires. Peripherals have a very thin core wiring. Mostly they do not withhold any excessive tension, and they might break from the inside at any point if we pull them with force, although the insulation might not show any indications. After a while, especially if subjected to direct sun light or heat, the plastic (synthetic) insulation will wear-off. Over twisting the wire will cause it to break from the inside too. Don't pull your mouse cable to set it free; try to work out where it is clogged, rather than pulling it.
- 3For kids, get them a joystick to avoid using the keyboard for gaming, or even better a separate keyboard for them to use. Most of the time, kids will get so excited during a game, that they put excessive force to keyboard keys. You will find yourself with a broken keyboard when you most need it to finish a work you need on the PC.
- 4Periodically, flip the keyboard upside down and tap on the back, you will be astonished of what might fall off from in-between the keys. You can also use the vacuum cleaner to vacuum it. Ensure that the vacuum is on blow setting.
- 5Unplugging a Flash-Pen (also called a flash-disk), after copying to it, without using the safe un-attach service can be tricky.
- 6To maintain your Laptop battery, do not keep the Laptop hooked to an electrical supply. Drain your battery until the Laptop shuts down at least every 2-3 days.
- 1Once you get your Laptop set and configured to your need, make a backup of the OS and C drive using a backup program. Several applications are out there in the market, some are free too. I use the EASEUS Todo Backup program. You can download it for free from the web EASEUS Todo BackupAdvertisement
- 2When you have an abnormal shut down, you need to start and use a cleaning program to look for and clean temp files residuals. I use "CCleaner", CCleaner. You may also Google it to download and install it; it is free and does the job.
- 3When you experience an unexpected error or behavior, first try to recall what you have installed, updated, or removed. Most of the times, there is a conflict in programs. Try to uninstall the newly installed program, or roll back to a previous version of your newly updated program or service, then reboot and check if the error is cleared. To view your update history, go to "Control Panel" then Click on "Programs and Features".
- 4Keep updating your Laptop, using the Windows Update System; periodical updates are issued. To setup your Laptop for updates, go to "Control Panel", then "Windows Update".
Questions and Answers
Categories : Tech
Recent edits by: Dougie, Robbi, Jerry Rivers