Lose Weight with Vitamin B12 With Injections of B12 vs B12 Vitamin Supplements vs By Getting B12 in Food
Edited by Donna, Eng, VC, Alma
Taking Vitamin B12 injections, supplements or eating foods that are rich in vitamin B12 help facilitate weight loss because:
- B12 contains compounds called cobalamins that are active in human metabolism and improve its efficiency
- B12 helps the body convert fats into energy by converting homocysteine to methionine, which in turn helps regulate RNA, hormones, proteins and fat in the bloodstream
- B12 also helps with hemoglobin synthesis, which helps to convert protein into energy
- B12 aids in the formation of DNA synthesis helping to put off the kind of degeneration of cells that causes inflammation and insulin resistance
- B12 can help assist with fatigue, which boosts energy and then, in turn, weight loss
- It can increase your endurance during exercise so that you exercise longer
Method 1: With Injections of B12
Vitamin B supplements are administered by injection in the form of cyanocobalamin or hydroxocobalamin as a prescription medication. Depending on what country you are in, these injections may require a prescription. In many countries, naturopaths, nurses, doctors and experts at weight loss clinics can administer Vitamin B12 injections.
- 1Consult with your physician to see if Vitamin B injections are right or you and what amount is appropriate for you. Injections or weight loss are usually administered in amounts up to 4 mcg. Sometimes these injections are also mixed with other B vitamins to create a balanced cocktail.Advertisement
- 2Have a doctor, nurse or licensed professional administer the Vitamin B12 shot for you. This is an intramuscular shot that must be injected properly by a professional to reduce the risk of on site swelling at the site injection area.Advertisement
Method 2: With B12 Vitamin Supplements
Oral supplements are the least effective way to take Vitamin B12, with the human body sometimes only absorbing as little as ten percent of the vitamin. As absorption is limited if you take it in the form of a pill (for instance, most people who take 500 mg of the vitamin only end absorbing about 50 mg), it is recommended that you take B12 in the form of an oral spray.
- 1Take 5000 mcg of Vitamin B12 up to 4 times a day in the form of an oral spray. Do not rinse your mouth right away after spraying Vitamin B12 in your mouth.Advertisement
- 2If an oral spray is not available, then take a Vitamin B12 supplement that dissolves beneath the tongue. Vitamin B supplements that dissolve beneath the tongue are marketed in amounts as high as 5000 mcg.
- 3If a Vitamin B12 supplement that dissolves beneath the tongue is not available, take the form in a hard pill
Note that you can take more Vitamin B12 than the 5000 mcg to facilitate weight loss on a daily basis, as it has no known side effects or bad health effects, but get the advice of a doctor anyways before making that determination. This is because high levels of B12 might diminish the effects of other vitamins in your system. The current RDA for Vitamin B12 for an adult over 14 years of age is 2.4 mcg, however weight loss is not likely to occur unless you take at least ten times that amount.
Method 3: By Getting B12 in Food
It is a good idea to get your Vitamin B12 in food because only 65% of the vitamin is absorbed if you take it in injection form and as low as 10% if it is taken in supplement form. This is because Vitamin B12 can require a lot of co-factors to be absorbed by the body.
Vitamin B12 is naturally present in many protein-based foods. Here are some ways of getting more of this important vitamin in your food.
- Eat steamed clams as often as possible. Clams are one of richest sources of Vitamin B12 providing 84.1 mcg of vitamin B12 per serving. If weight loss is, your goal it is better to eat steamed clams rather than fried or deep-fried clams as fat and batter are foods that encourage weight gain. It is also better to eat clams with horseradish or seafood sauce rather than tartar sauce or mayonnaise, both of which are quite high in saturated fat
- Eat at least 3 ounces of cooked liver or liver every day. Beef and liver contain 70.71 of vitamin B12. Broiled or grilled meat is preferable if you want to encourage weight loss.
- Eat a three-ounce serving of steamed or broiled octopus. Octopus contains 30.6 mcg of Vitamin B12 as well as copper, zinc, and iron, which are minerals that assist the liver and thyroid with regulating the endocrine system. Octopus can be cut up and served in gumbos, stews, soups and salads.
- Eat three ounces of steamed mussels. Mussels contain 20.4 mcg of Vitamin B12, which is over 300% of the recommended daily value. It is best to have your mussels with a wine sauce or tomato sauce instead of a rich butter or dairy-based cream sauce.
- Eat 12 ounces of New England clam chowder whenever possible. This soup, which contains clams and other seafood has, provides 200% of the daily-recommended value for Vitamin B12 at 12.1 mcg of Vitamin B12 per serving. If you are on a diet, it is best to eat homemade New England clam chowder rather than canned versions, which are higher in sodium. Sodium can cause weight gain and bloating so if you are going to eat canned versions of New England clam chowder try to choose those labeled as low-sodium
- Eat 3 ounces of crab meat as often as possible. Crab meat is high in all of the B vitamins and it provides 6.59 micrograms of Vitamin B12. Crab meat can be mixed with cream cheese, which also has some B12 for a very nourishing weight-loss treat. It is also high in potassium, selenium, copper, and other minerals that nourish the thyroid gland and assist with weight loss
- Eat fortified breakfast cereals for breakfast every day. Look for cereals that say that they contain 100% of the RDA of B12 per serving at 6.0 mcg per serving. Breakfast cereals that can make this claim will have 6.0 mcg of B12 listed on the label. However, avoid buying a fortified breakfast cereal that is high in sodium, saturated fats, white flour or one that contains sugar, as these are ingredients that cause weight gain.
- Eat 3 ounces of cooked or canned salmon as often as possible. There are 4.8 mcg of B12 in every serving of salmon. If possible, go for farmed salmon to avoid the mercury contamination that is becoming more common than fish. Cooked salmon is a slightly better choice than canned salmon because it contains less sodium, and sodium can cause weight gain.
- Eat cooked rainbow trout whenever possible. To avoid the high mercury content that is common in fish, eat trout from farmed sources. To lose weight eat it broiled or steamed and avoid frying it or battering it. Rainbow trout contains 3.5 mcg of Vitamin B12.
- Eat 3 ounces of canned tuna fish as often as possible. Canned tuna is one of the cheapest and readily available sources of B12 at 2.5 mcg per serving. To lose weight is sure to buy tuna fish that is packaged in water and not oil as the fat in oil will cause weight gain.
- The junk food option for obtaining a higher than usual amount of some B12 is a cheeseburger. A cheeseburger with a double patty and bun has 2.1 mcg of B12. *Choosing a rustic, home-made version or hand-crafted hamburger with cheese is preferable to eating one from a fast-food place as it is likely to have less sodium and saturated fat. If the hamburger is homemade, the cheese on the burger will also contain less additives and more butyrate. Butyrate is a nutrient that promotes weight loss because it makes you feel full and helps stave off cravings.
- Drink a cup of low-fat milk. Milk has 1.2 mcg of Vitamin B-12 per eight ounces serving. However, if you are lactose intolerant, getting your Vitamin B-12 from milk may not be your best option. You may also want to avoid milk if you are diabetic as milk contains starches and sugars that cause glycemic reactions in the blood stream, which in turn causes weight gain
- Drink a cup of fortified soy milk, which has 1.11 mg of Vitamin B12. Soy milk is a good source of B12 for dieters because it only contains 33 calories.
- Eat a cup of low-fat yogurt every day. Low-fat yogurt contains 1.1 grams of protein and it is a good source of probiotics, which in turn helps populate friendly bacteria in the intestines. This then helps the body to absorb nutrients like B12 easily and prevents water retention and bloating due to weight gain.
- Eat an ounce of Swiss cheese for a snack. Swiss cheese is a particularly rich source of B12 at .9 mcg per serving. If you want to lose weight choose this cheese rather than other types and choose whole-fat Swiss cheese, which will have more Vitamin B12 and less sodium in it.
- Eat a beef taco for a snack or light meal. One soft beef taco has .9 mcg of Vitamin B12. Eat a taco with just the beef, salsa, onions and hot sauce but only if you want to lose weight.
- Eat 3 ounces of cured, roasted ham every now and then. Ham has .6 mcg of your daily allowance of Vitamin B12. Make sure the ham that you are eating is lean and as free of nitrates as possible.
- Eat a boiled or poached egg every day. One whole hard-boiled egg has .6 mcg of vitamin B12. Avoid eating eggs fried in butter or bacon fat, as these eggs are higher in sodium, saturated fat and calories that boiled or poached eggs.
- Eat three ounces of roasted chicken breast meat for a meal or snack. Roasted chicken meat has .3 mcg of Vitamin B12. Both white and dark meat have the same amount of B12.
- Add more low-fat buttermilk to your diet, which is a good source of Vitamin B12 at 98 calories. Very few people drink buttermilk straight, because of it's sour taste but it can be added to smoothies, salad dressings, soups, and pasta dishes to up your daily take of Vitamin B12.
- Eat one teaspoon of marmite a day. Marmite is a yeast extract spread that contains .0 micrograms o Vitamin B12 and only 9 calories. It is also a great source of iron, which helps to nourish the endocrine system and facilitate weight loss.
Tips and Tricks
- Vitamin B injections can interact with many different types of medications including the antibiotic Chloromycetin, ulcer medications such as Pepcid or Tagamet and diabetes exercise Metformin
- A doctor can find out if you are deficient n B12 with a blood test that measures your plasma levels and a level of 250 or less indicates a deficiency in adults
- If your serum homocysteine levels show as high on your blood test that suggests possible deficiencies
- If you are over 55 and find yourself gaining weight, the issue might be vitamin B12 deficiency
- If you have Crohn's disease and are experiencing weight gain it might be because of a vitamin B12 deficiency
- If you have fatty liver disease and are experiencing weight gain it might be the result of a vitamin B12 deficiency
- Vitamin B12 deficiency and ensuing weight gain can occur in people with lower levels of acid in the stomach such as though that suffer from celiac disease
- If you are on the diabetes drug metformin you are at a higher risk for B12 deficiency
- Aside from weight gain, symptoms of vitamin B12 deficiency can be characterized by fatigue, anemia, appetite loss, weight loss, depression, difficulties in maintaining balance, confusion, dementia, poor memory and a sore mouth or tongue
- If you are vegetarian and are gaining weight, it might be due to a deficiency of vitamin B12, add this to your diet, it is a vitamin most abundant in animal products
- Be aware that some B-12 foods, such as canned New England Clam Chowder or low-fat yogurt may be labeled as low-fat but this can also mean that these products are high in fat or sugar, which can also cause weight gain