Lose Weight with Persimmon With the 7-Day Persimmon Fat Burning Diet vs By Substituting Meals for Persimmon Smoothies vs By Adding Persimmon to Your Daily Diet
Edited by Donna, Eng, Alma
Persimmon is known as a weight-loss super fruit because it contains protein, high amounts of just about every vitamins and mineral and plenty of fiber. Persimmons are also low in sugar, contain no cholesterol and are a natural appetite suppressant. They have a melt-in-your-mouth consistency that tastes like a mild honey.
Note that there are two types of persimmons available to you on the market and that both types share a similar nutritional profile and are excellent for weight-loss:
Both varieties of Persimmons can be quite hard to find but they are more widely available for purchase in the gourmet sections most grocery stores. You can also acquire persimmons at Asian fruit markets, health food stores and stores specializing in exotic foods.
Persimmons induce weight loss because:
- They are one of the richest sources of easily digested fiber that helps clear waste and toxins from the digestive system
- The pectin in persimmons helps regulate blood sugar levels and is of particular value to those who suffer from fatigue and cravings due to dieting
- They are a source of pure hydration that is very cleansing for the body because they contain 80% water, which helps replenish your body's fluids and flush out fat and toxins
- The polyphenols and antioxidants in persimmons help prevent age-related metabolic problems like insulin resistance, organ inflammation, and Type 2 diabetes
- The high amounts of potassium and B vitamins help your tissues stay alkaline and assist your body with recovery after a workout.
- Persimmons have absolutely no fat, which makes them an ideal weight loss food
- They are a source of complex carbohydrates, at 70 calories per 100 grams, which makes it a low carb food that is ideal for fueling a busy lifestyle or heavy workout schedule (you can also think of this as being 32 calories per fruit)
- Persimmons are very high in Vitamin A at 81 IU per 100 grams, helping to prevent fatty liver disease and the resulting weight gain and obesity I
- Persimmons are very high in Vitamin C and 7.5 mg per 100 grams, which prevents all inflammatory conditions and helps fight the yeast and parasites that swell your waistline and make you look bloated.
- It contains a broad spectrum of al of the B vitamins (including B1, B3, B6, and folate), which are responsible for keeping all of the metabolic functions in the body in good working order
- Persimmons are rich in phytochemicals that help maintain cellular health over the long term, thus helping to prevent weight gain due to aging issues.
- They are a rich source of all of the B vitamins, including B1, B3, B6 and folate which helps diminish brain, improve gut functions and optimizes your metabolism so that carbohydrates are turned into fuel instead of stored as fat
- They contain high amounts of iron and magnesium, which keeps your liver, blood and muscle tissue healthy while you are on a low-calorie diet
- Persimmons are very high in the mineral copper, which assists with the regulation of hormones and the proper functioning of the thyroid
- Persimmons very filling, which helps for treats between meals
- Persimmons treat inflamed intestines and reduce histamine reactions to food and bloating due to gas
- Persimmons contain superoxide dismutase, which helps the body stay young by preventing damage to old cells and producing new cells
Method 1: With the 7-Day Persimmon Fat Burning Diet
You can lose up to eight to ten pounds in a week by following this weight loss plan, but it is not healthy to stay on it any longer than that. This diet works because it deprives you of your normal nutritional requirements for a full week. You risk malnutrition and health problems if continue on it for more than seven days. It also cuts between 1200 and 2000 calories a day from your diet, which can result in a short-term drastic weight loss and a trimming of inches from your waist.
This extreme weight loss regimen requires that you replace two regular meals a day with a meal that consists of two persimmons and four ounces of protein. Eating protein with the extremely fibrous persimmons each day will put your body into a negative calorie situation. You will lose weight because it will take your body more energy just to digest the protein and fruit, and then is actually contained in the fruit. Combining a protein source and persimmons will also provide you these two persimmons equate to being about 0 calories while at the same time providing you with most of your daily requirement for vitamins and minerals.
- 1High protein diets do not necessarily suit those with fatty liver disease.Check with your physician or dietitian first to see if this high-protein calorie restricted diet is right for you Limited calorie diets do not suit pregnant individuals, some people with chronic diseases and pregnant mothers.
- 2Be sure to store them in a dry cool place, out of any packaging and out of the sun. You can keep them in the refrigerator for about two days but you do risk a softening of the fruit's tissues and a bit of a breakdown of the fruit's cellular structure. This results in a mushier fruit, which is fine as long as you are using them in sauces, puddings or smoothies.Buy enough persimmons to last you a couple of days at an Asian market or gourmet food store or you can buy all 14 that you will need for the week at once.
- 3The softer Hachiya persimmon goes well in yogurt and the harder Fuyu persimmon better suits the hard cheese. The hard cheddar cheese contains butyrate, a substance that can prevent food cravings during the day.For breakfast every day for a full week consume a whole Hachiya persimmon, with either a half a cup of plain Greek yogurt, two inches by a one-inch square block of hard low-fat cheddar cheese or a ½ cup of low-fat cottage cheese.
- 4The salad can be made of any vegetables and fruit that you choose, but make sure that the calorie count of the total amount of ingredients in the salad does not add up to be more than 400 calories. Low-calorie raw ingredients such as cucumbers, tomatoes, and any type of lettuce, spinach, and kale are a good source of nutrients and complex carbohydrates. You can also add persimmon to fruit salads that have mango, pineapple, bananas, tangerines, and strawberries. Dress your salad with vinegar only. Good choices are apple cider vinegar, red wine vinegar, balsamic vinegar or rice wine vinegar. Persimmons also go very well with many spices, including weight-loss ones such as chili or ginger.For lunch, every day for ten days eats a salad along with another whole persimmon.
- 5Good choices are steak, lamb, turkey, oysters, scallop, shrimp and white fish such as tuna. Make sure that any meat you eat is grass-fed as organic. Be sure to include asparagus, mushrooms, rapini, kale, spinach, turnips, sweet potato and pumpkins in your meals as they are very complex carbohydrates that take a long time to digest. Note that you are not allowed refined starches of any kind on this diet including bread, pasta, potatoes or rice. However, you can have fermented products such as kombucha, sauerkraut or pickles.For dinner eat four ounces of one of the proteins here with two generous servings roasted or raw low carb vegetables.
- 11A diet that limits calories to 1200 calories a day or yes cannot sustain your body for months on end and could cause malnutrition and other health problems.If you want to lose more weight in this way, waits at least a month before you repeat this week-long diet.
Method 2: By Substituting Meals for Persimmon Smoothies
Substituting a meal for a smoothie that contains the fruit of one persimmon can help you lose weight. This diet is quite nutritious and you can stay on it for about three weeks.
The main idea behind this diet is that you will lose the weight if you replace two meals a day with a persimmon smoothie that is 200 calories or less. This is a daily day plan that you can repeat until you have lost all of the weight that you need to without suffering from the muscle wasting, saggy skin and mood swings that are normally associated with low-calorie weight-loss diets.
In order for this diet to work, you must stick to the instructions below strictly and not eat any snacks, sugar, potatoes, rice, bread or pasta or any junk foods.
To drink you may have tea, herbal tea or coffee and you can use stevia as a sweetener.
This diet works because persimmon is creamy, sweet and filling and also because it is a bit of a natural appetite suppressant that can hold you over until the next meal.
- 1For most people, this results in a calorie deficit between 1000 and 2000 calories a day and a drastic weight loss that can amount to being 7 to10 pounds a week.Whip up and drink any one of the persimmon smoothies on the list called Persimmon Smoothies Below 200 Calories below and substitute it from any two meals that you may have in one day.Advertisement
- 2Suggested proteins are steak, lamb, chicken, fish, shrimps, scallops or cottage cheese. Recommended good fats are coconut oil, walnut, oil, extra-virgin olive oil, a handful of almonds, a spoonful of flax seeds or the content o one avocado.Make sure that the one meal you eat a day is less than 1000 calories and that it contains four ounces of a lean protein, two ounces of a healthy fat and a serving of complex carbohydrates.
Persimmon Smoothie Recipes Under 200 Calories
Here are the seven recipes for Persimmon smoothies that are less than 200 calories that you can use to replace two meals a day. You can drink a favorite smoothie again and again or use them in any order that you like. They are listed from lowest in calories to highest. You can use either type of persimmon in your recipes, but there are recommendations as to which type, either Hachiya or Fuyu, might work better in a particular recipe. The calorie estimates below are based on a 10-ounce serving.
- 1In a blender, whirl together the flesh of three mangos, two persimmons, one frozen banana, one cup of coconut water and half of a cup of ice. Blend until smooth and drink. The mango is very rich in Vitamin A and C and helps prevent metabolic disorders and weight gain due to fatty liver disease. The coconut water is filling, yet hydrating.Make a Mango Persimmon smoothie at 85 calories per serving.
- 2Whirl together one whole persimmon, preferably chunks of Fuyu, a cup of ice, a cup of frozen pineapple, two tablespoons of Matcha Green Tea powder and a splash of spring water in a blender. Blend until frosty and drink. Matcha tea contains antioxidants for cell repair and acids that trigger your body to burn fat. The pineapple juice is a digestive and anti-inflammatory that can help your abdomen look flatter.Make a Persimmon, Pineapple and Matcha Green Tea smoothie at 90 calories.
- 3Add the flesh of one persimmon to one cup of ice, a half a cup of spring water, one whole apple cut in half with the peel on, a ¼ cup of almond milk or organic 1% milk or low-fat yogurt, a tablespoon of vanilla. Add a half of a teaspoon of cinnamon and whirl everything together until it is smooth in texture and drinkable. Apples are a good source of protein, fiber and contain a broad spectrum of vitamins and minerals that are good support healthy weight loss. The almond milk or yogurt supplies protein to keep you going through the day and the cinnamon stimulates your circulation and helps you burn off fat.Make a Persimmon, Apple and Cinnamon smoothie at 130 calories.
- 4Add a cup of ice to a blender. Add the fruit of one whole persimmon (preferably the harder Fuyu variety), the segments two tangerines, two tablespoons of grated ginger, a skim teaspoon of powdered turmeric, a whole frozen banana, a half a cup of organic skim milk, coconut milk or almond milk and blend well. Taste and if it needs sweetening add a teaspoon of raw organic honey. This delicious drink is an anti-inflammatory cocktail that helps the lower metabolic resistance. It also stimulates your circulation, which aids with detoxification a weight loss.Make a Persimmon, Tangerine, Turmeric and Ginger Smoothie at 135 calories.
- 5In a blender, whirl together one whole persimmon, a tablespoon of honey, a cup of vanilla cashew milk, a cup of ice and a teaspoon of cinnamon. Blend until very smooth and drink. The cashew milk is a good source of protein and essential fatty acids, which helps prevent cravings and binge eating while dieting and the honey provides a stable source of energy. If you are diabetic, you can substitute a tablespoon of Stevia for the honey. The cinnamon is a natural fat burner that helps stimulate your circulation.Make a Persimmon, Vanilla Cashew and Cinnamon smoothie at 140 calories per serving.
- 6Blend together one cup of fresh spinach, one persimmon (preferably peeled Fuyu), ½ cup of chopped apple, 1 cup almond milk or 1% organic cow's milk, a teaspoon of cinnamon and a handful of cubes. Blend everything together until smooth and drink. Spinach is a source of folate and iron which supports the health of your liver, hair and cell repair. Both the apple and the nut milk are a good source of protein that can help tide you over until the next meal and the cinnamon is a known fat-burning spice that helps kick start your metabolism.Make a Persimmon Spinach and Apple smoothie at 150 calories per serving.
- 7In a blender, whirl together a cup of unsweetened almond milk, 1 frozen banana, a tablespoon of chia seeds, 3 Medjool dates and two tablespoons of coconut oil. Blend until smooth and drink. This smoothie is very rich in fiber and also very rich in protein and fiber, all elements of a successful weight loss meal substitute.Make a Persimmon, Date and Banana smoothie at 170 calories per serving.
Method 3: By Adding Persimmon to Your Daily Diet
Here are additional ways to include persimmon in your diet so that you can lose weight by either consuming it as a meal, dessert or snack or just simply by adding it to an existing meal. You will benefit from the nutrition, fiber, and anti-inflammatory aspects of the fruit that can cause weight loss.
- 1This type of persimmon slices up nicely into pieces that can be served plain or with any type of dip. They are also delicious sprinkled with cinnamon or ginger or drizzled with a bit of balsamic vinegar.Eat Fuyu persimmon slices as a snack.
Tips and Tricks
- If you want to keep the weight off for good, then avoid eating simple carbohydrates such as bread, pasta, rice, and potatoes. Including sugar, starches, pasta, potatoes, rice and bread.
- Never eat more than three or four whole persimmons a day as over-indulging in the fruit can bloating, constipation and cramping
- You can eat the Fuyu persimmon in the same way you would an apple because the skin is quite soft edible
- The best way to eat a Hachiya persimmon raw is to chill it and scoop it out with a spoon or fork and avoid eating the skin altogether
- As a rule of thumb to remember the skin on the Fuyu persimmon is tasty and the Hachiya persimmon skin is not
- Always wash the entire guava fruit before cutting it, as it is an imported exotic fruit that could have bacteria or pesticide on the skin
- Cut the stem and leaves of the persimmon before eating it by slicing off the top of persimmon before scooping the contents out of it or slicing it