Lose Weight with Passion Fruit By Replacing Meals With Passion Fruit Smoothies vs Adding Raw Passion Fruit to Your Daily Diet
Edited by Donna, Eng, Alma
Passion Fruit, native to Brazil is also known as Granadillo Parcha or Parchita. It is actually a huge berry that is yellow or dark purple and about the size of a golf ball. The fruit has a tough rind and inside contains soft pouches of transparent yellow pulp containing large round edible black seeds. The fruit is tart in flavor and the seeds have a slight peppery taste. Passion fruit is more exotic and can be found in some grocery stores, Asian markets, and health food stores. Eating the pulp of raw passion fruit with the seeds intact is best if you want to lose weight fast.
Passion Fruit helps you lose weight because:
- There is only about 50 calories in one passion fruit, making it an ideal weight loss food if you substitute it for other foods
- Passion fruit is almost one third fiber, which helps lower cholesterol levels, regulate your blood sugar levels and clean out your colon
- Passion fruit is very rich in Vitamin C, which protects the pituitary gland from damage and helps your skin retain its elasticity after weight loss
- This super fruit contains enzymes that aids digestion making the detoxification and elimination process more efficient
- The high Vitamin A and beta-carotene content in passion fruit helps fight inflammatory conditions that could be sabotaging your weight loss and it also boosts your immune system
- The anti-oxidants in passion fruit help fight cellulite, dissolve fat deposits and help the skin bounce back from extreme weight loss
- Passion fruit is very high in Vitamin E, which reduces joint pain so that you can exercise without soreness and it also improves your body's general metabolic function
- Passion fruit is also a vegan source of iron, which helps all chemical reactions in the body, including the ones responsible for cell respiration and detoxification, work at a peak performance
- Passion fruit is also very rich in potassium, which helps regulate your metabolism and blood pressure
- It is also a good source of iron, copper, magnesium, and phosphorus which helps keep your nerves steady, while dieting and also prevents the dry skin and hair loss that can occur when you are dieting
Method 1: By Replacing Meals With Passion Fruit Smoothies
You can lose weight drinking passion fruit smoothies by substituting a smoothie for two meals a day. By doing this, you are replacing a meal that might be between 700 and 1200 calories with a smoothie that is 300 calories or less. For some people, this can result in a weight loss of a pound a day, especially if you follow it exactly and replace two meals a day with a passion fruit smoothie. This is also a nutrient dense diet that you can stay on for as many days as you like without suffering health consequences. However, you should consult with your doctor before embarking on any diet that that involves calorie restriction and a limitation of food choices, in case it interferes with your medication or affects an existing medical condition.
- 1Replace two meals a day with a low-fat, low-calorie passion fruit smoothie. See the list below of 15 simple do-it-yourself recipes passion fruit smoothies that are 300 calories or less and that can be used as part of this weight loss routine.Advertisement
- 2Make sure that your kitchen is well stocked with bottled water, as you will be drinking at least eight glasses a day. Passion fruit is very detoxifying and you will need to be continually sipping on water in between meals to keep your body well-cleansed. Filling up on lots of water can also help you stave off any hunger pangs. You can drink sparkling water and flavored waters that are not enhanced with aspartame or sucralose, as these sweeteners can cause weight gain. The more that you drink, the more weight you can expect to lose on this passion fruit smoothie diet.Advertisement
- 3For breakfast every day, drink a passion fruit smoothie OR have a bowl of oatmeal, splashed with almond or coconut milk and two ounces of an allowed fruit. Allowed fruits include blueberries, strawberries, blackberries, mangos, peaches and apples. These fruits help cleanse the bowel and are mild diuretics that help your body detoxify itself. The almond milk supplies a bit of needed protein to your diet. If you feel constipated on the diet you can sprinkle flax seeds on top of the oatmeal to help get your bowels moving properly again.
- 4For lunch every day, drink a passion fruit smoothie OR eat a salad that contains at least cup of greens, one cup of mixed cut up fresh raw fresh vegetables and a half of a cup of a low fat protein. Proteins that are allowed on this diet include two ounces of any of the following foods: low-fat cottage cheese, low-fat yogurt, goat cheese, cottage cheese, feta cheese or Greek yogurt. You may dress the salad with a splash of oil and vinegar. Recommended oils are coconut and olive oil; red wine vinegar, rice vinegar, and apple cider vinegar are recommended. You can also add other vegetables, roasted or raw, to your salad as long as the entire calorie count of salad below 300 calories. You can calculate the calories in your meals by yourself by using an online calorie calculator such as the one at [myfitnesspal.com My Fitness Pal]
- 5For dinner drink a passion fruit smoothie OR eat four ounces of a low-fat protein along with a cup of grilled or roasted vegetables and a tablespoon of olive oil or coconut oil. Low-fat proteins that are allowed for dinner on this diet include shrimp, white fish, turkey, steak, chicken or oysters. If you do not eat meat, you can have two ounces of cottage cheese or an ounce of blue cheese or gorgonzola cheese or an ounce of almonds, cashews or pecans. The calories in your dinner should add up to being in the 400 to 700 calorie range or even less if you can manage it. Try not to eat any more than two ounces of cheese or nuts or four ounces of meat at any sitting. Grill or roast any meats and avoid frying anything that you eat in butter or oil, or you will start gaining weight again.
- 6For a snack, you are allowed up to five small apples a day. Apples are very filling nourishing and help the liver and intestines discharge toxins. Be sure to eat the apples with the peel on the fruit.
- 7Do not eat any foods that are not part of this passion fruit smoothie meal replacement plan. This includes all white foods including sugar, bread, pasta, potatoes and rice, all junk and snack foods and refined sweets such as packaged cakes or ice cream. You should also avoid all artificial sweeteners, such as Splenda, Equal or Sugar Twin and all condiments that contain sugar, such as ketchup or relishes.
- 8Engage in a mild form of exercise for at least one hour every day, A one-hour walk, bike ride or swim can help stimulate your metabolism and get your blood moving. Strenuous exercise is not recommended on this diet because you are not consuming enough calories to fuel activities like running, weight-lifting or marathon biking. This hour of exercise also helps to keep you in a good mood and helps lift the brain fog that sometimes occurs as the result of detoxifying on a passion fruit diet.
- 9Make sure that you get at least eight hours of rest every night so that your body can detoxify and heal itself. A lack of sleep can cause moodiness, cravings, and physical stress.
- 10Avoid emotional stress and toxic people while you are on this weight-loss diet. It is important to take care of your psychological needs while you are on this diet as upsetting situations can cause you to overeat to help you deal with your feelings.
15 Passion Fruit Smoothies That Are Less Than 200 Calories
You can drink any of these weight-loss smoothies at any time to reap the nutritional benefits or you can use these nutritionally balanced smoothies as meal replacements for lunch or dinner as described above in the meal replacement diet that is described above.
- 1Make a cleansing and refreshing Watermelon, Cucumber and Passion Fruit smoothie that has only 80 calories per serving. Mix a cup of chopped cucumber with a cup of chopped watermelon, the pulp of two passion fruits and a cup of ice in a blender. Sweeten the fruit with a tablespoon of honey and a dash of vanilla. Blend all of the ingredients until icy and smooth. This is a nourishing diuretic drink that reduces bloat and abdominal fat.
- 2Make a zero-fat Passion Fruit, Ginger and Green Tea smoothie at 82 calories per serving. Puree the pulp of four passion fruits, a cup of strong cooled brewed green tea, a cup of ice, a teaspoon of liquid stevia, a handful crumbled mint leaves in a blender. Add two heaping tablespoons teaspoon of grated ginger in a blender. Blend all of the ingredients until smooth and frosty and then serve. This smoothie is a potent diuretic and helps flush toxins out of your system so you can lose the pounds and inches fast.
- 3Make a Beet, Passion Fruit and Lemon smoothie that only has 87 calories per serving. In a blender mix together two cooked and peeled beets, 2 cups of unsweetened coconut water, the pulp of two passion fruits and ¼ cup of freshly squeezed lemon juice. Blend until smooth and serve. Beets are naturally sweet but if this smoothie is not sweet enough you can add a tablespoon of liquid stevia or Truvia to make it sweeter. Beets contain nitrous oxide which helps turn carbohydrates into energy to fuel your walking or mild exercise routine.
- 4Make a Sweet Cherry, Pineapple and Passion Fruit smoothie, which is only 90 calories per serving. Blend together one cup of ice, one cup of coconut water, ½ cup frozen or fresh pineapple, 1/2 cup frozen or fresh sweet cherries and the pulp of one mangosteen into blender and whirl together until frosty and smooth. This smoothie has absolutely no fat and the fruit in it is very beneficial for digestion and coaxing the intestines to eliminate all toxins
- 5Make a fat-blasting Chili, Lime and Passion Fruit smoothie, which is only 100 calories. This cleansing smoothie is made with a cup of freshly squeezed lime juice, the pulp of two passion fruits, one chopped chili pepper, ½ cup of plain Greek yogurt and a tablespoon of organic raw honey. Chili is a fat-burning spice that helps jump start your metabolism so you can lose weight fast. It also stimulates your circulation and helps reduce inflammation. If you do not have a red chili pepper on hand, you can use a Habanero or Jalapeno pepper or you can use a teaspoon of powdered chili pepper.
- 6Make a green Kiwi, Spinach, and Passion Fruit Smoothie at 124 calories per serving. Blend together two whole chopped kiwis, a cup of packed spinach, the pulp of two small mangosteens, a cup of ice and a cup of plain Greek yogurt in a blender. Blend all of the ingredients until smooth and serve with a sprinkling of pumpkin seeds on top. This restorative smoothie is very high in Vitamin C and Iron and helps keep you energetic while on a limited calorie diet.
- 7Make a rich and creamy Banana, Peach and Passion Fruit smoothie that is only 140 calories per serving. Combine the flesh of two peaches, a small whole peeled banana, ½ cup of coconut milk, ½ cup of ice and two drops of liquid Stevia in a blender. Blend everything together until smooth and frosty. The mellow sweet flavors of bananas and peaches help balance out the tartness of the passion fruit. Bananas combined with passion fruit create a drink that is loaded with potassium and that can help lower high blood pressure.
- 8Make a sweet Strawberry, Passion Fruit, and Almond smoothie at 160 calories per serving. Combine a cup of ice, a ½ cup of vanilla almond milk, the pulp of two whole passion fruits and a cup of frozen strawberries in a blender. Whirl all of the ingredients together until frosty and thick and then drink. This is a nice substitute for fattier foods like cheesecake or ice cream. Both strawberries and passion fruit are very high in healing Vitamin C, which is necessary for quick cell repair and reducing the inflammation that prevents weight loss. The almond milk in this recipe contains essential fatty acids that help you stay in a good mood while you are dieting.
- 9Make an Orange, Passion Fruit, and Almond Milk smoothie at 164 calories. Combine the flesh of one large orange, the pulp of two passion fruits, a cup of almond milk, a dash of vanilla and a cup of ice in a blender. Mix all of the ingredients together until smooth. If you prefer a thinner smoothie, you can add a bit more ice to the mixture and use plain, freshly squeezed orange juice instead of the orange pulp. Sprigs of mint are a nice garnish for this drink. This smoothie is very rich in Vitamin C, which assists with metabolism and the tightening of skin that is loose because of weight gain.
- 10Make a Passion Fruit Pina Colada at 170 calories. Combine one cup of pineapple, one cup of ice, a small frozen banana, the pulp of two passion fruits and a cup of coconut milk in a blender. Add a tablespoon of liquid stevia and blend until smooth. This smoothie is high in Vitamin C and iron and can help prevent the fatigue and hair loss that can sometimes be part of the experience of dieting. Garnish this tasty tropical shake with cacao nibs or shaved coconut flakes and serve.
- 11Make a Cacao, Coconut Milk and Passion Fruit smoothie at 180 calories per serving. Crush a cup of ice, a cup of cacao powder, ¼ cup of Truvia Sweetener, a cup of coconut milk and the pulp of two passion fruits in a blender. Mix until smooth and then pour into glasses and drink. This tasty smoothie is filling and can satisfy a craving for chocolate puddings and ice creams and spare you from eating empty non-nutritious calories. Cacao is also a mood elevator, which is useful for people who feel depressed or frustrated when they are on diets that involve carbohydrate restriction.
- 12Make a Coconut Oil, Mango and Passion Fruit smoothie that is 198 calories per serving. Combine one cup of ice, 2/3 cup of mango (frozen or fresh), the pulp of two passion fruits, a cup of coconut milk and ¼ cup of organic coconut oil. The coconut oil is a potent inflammatory that reduces bloat and joint pain. Coconut oil also helps you nourish your hair and skin while you are on a diet that allows very few fat sources, like this one.
- 13Make a Passion Fruit, Almond, and Black Tea smoothie at 209 calories per serving. Blend together the pulp of four small passion fruit, a cup of ice, a cup of almond milk a cup of strong brewed and cooled black tea, a teaspoon of liquid stevia and a teaspoon of an orange or lemon peel. Mix until smooth and frosty in texture and serve. This drink is a natural diuretic that is nourishing to the kidneys and that can also help reduce weight gain due to water retention. For an extra boost to your metabolism and added flavor, add a quarter teaspoon of cardamom seeds to the mixture before blending.
- 14Make a Cacao, Cherry, and Passion Fruit Smoothie at 210 calories per serving. Crush together a cup of ice, a cup of frozen cherries, a cup of vanilla almond milk, the pulp of one passion fruit, and a tablespoon o honey in a blender. Mix until smooth and then pour it into glasses and drink. The mix of cherries and chocolate can help boost your mood and also prevent you from succumbing to a temptation to eat a sweeter chocolate treat.
- 15Make a Cherry, Cashew, and Passion Fruit smoothie at 220 calories per serving. In a blender, combine the pulp of three small passion fruits, a 1/2 cup of chopped avocado, a cup of cashews, 1 cup of vanilla flavored rice milk, 1 cup of ice cubes, a dash of cinnamon and a teaspoon of liquid Stevia. Blend all of the ingredients together to make a refreshing, frosty weight loss drink. The avocado makes this drink seem creamy and can help prevent cravings. Cashews are an excellent source of protein that also contains essential fatty acids.
Method 2: By Adding Raw Passion Fruit to Your Daily Diet
When passion fruit is cooked, it loses some of its texture and nutritional content, so it is best to eat it raw.
- 1Simply eat one whole passion fruit raw. The traditional way to eat it is to cut it in half and eat the pulp by scooping it out of the rind with a spoon. In South America, chili powder and lime juice are sprinkled on the passion fruit to give it more of a savory taste. Two passion fruit are only 100 calories, which makes this fruit a nutritious snack, dessert or small breakfast.Advertisement
- 2Drink passion fruit infused water. Simply combine passion fruit and any other favorite fruits in an infuser pitcher and fill with plain or sparkling water and ice. Passion fruit infuses especially well with such ingredients as lychee fruit, tangerines, lemon, lime, ginger, strawberries, blueberries and mint. Drinking this water all day will also help you stay hydrated and assist your body with cleansing itself.
- 3Make a passion fruit puree to pour over salads or desserts. Puree the pulp of three or four passion fruits in a blender until smooth. Use as a low-fat dressing for salads, a sauce for fish or as a sweet topping for desserts.
- 4Make a sweet and salty passion fruit vinaigrette to drizzle over your salads. Add the puree of one passion fruit, 1 clove of minced garlic, 1 teaspoon of hot Dijon mustard and ½ tablespoon each of cracked pepper and sea salt into a jar. Add half a cup of white wine ¼ cup of extra-virgin olive oil and shake well. You can also use red wine instead of the white wine in this versatile recipe.
- 5Make a passion fruit salsa. In a bowl, combine one cup of chopped passion fruit, with ½ cup of fresh chopped peaches, ½ cup of fresh chopped mango, 1 finely chopped red onion, a handful each of chopped mint and cilantro and 1 diced red chili. Add one tablespoon of white balsamic vinegar and the juice of two limes and blend everything together well. You can eat this with tortilla chips but it also goes very well with chicken or fish. It can also be used as a condiment for fish tacos.
- 6Make a low-fat version of a classic passion fruit and mango mousse. Soften two packets of Knox gelatin in two cups of warm water. In a blender, mix together the pulp of 1 mango, 2 passion fruit, ½ cup of passion fruit juice, the softened two cups of gelatin, 1 cup of yogurt and 1 tablespoon of liquid stevia. Blend until smooth and pour into a mold. Chill for at least for hours and unmold or serve in pudding cups with sprigs of mint. This is much lower in calories than the regular recipe for Italian passion fruit and mango mousse which is made with eggs and cream.
- 7Make a silky passion fruit and banana sorbet to eat as a replacement for a snack or a dessert. Mix together ½ cup of pure spring water, a ½ a cup of Truvia, a tablespoon of organic vanilla, two tablespoons of honey and 2 tablespoons of fresh lemon juice in a saucepan. Simmer until the Truvia is dissolved. Blend this syrup with a cup of sliced bananas and the pulp of three passion fruit. Mix it all together with a hand blender and then pour it into a container and freeze it for at least four hours.
- 8Make low-fat passion fruit popsicles. Blend ¾ cup of fresh passion fruit pulp, ½ cup of raw honey, a tablespoon of raw grated fresh ginger and a tablespoon of lime juice in a blender until smooth. Pour the mixture in a popsicle mold that serves six to eight people and freeze for about four hours until the treats are solid. Note that artificial sweeteners, such as Stevia or Truvia, do not work well in popsicle recipes and may actually prevent the mixture from freezing, so stick to using honey when making passion fruit popsicles. You can also add other fruit to the mixture such as blueberries, tangerines or mango or interesting ingredients such as coconut shavings, mint or grated citrus peel.
- 9Replace a meal with a frozen passion fruit slushie or drink one to cool off on a hot afternoon. In a blender, crush a cup of ice with the pulp of one or two passion fruit and a tablespoon of honey and lime juice to make a low fat, nourishing treat. This frosty drink can help satisfy cravings for ice cream or sherbet.
- 10Make a passion fruit martini. In a cocktail shaker muddle together ½ cup of ice, ½ cup of passion fruit puree, 2 ounces of vanilla flavored vodka and a splash of Cointreau (optional.) Garnish with passion fruit and drink. If you omit the Cointreau, you have made a cocktail that is less than 100 calories.
Tips and Tricks
- If for some reason you do not want to eat the passionate fruit seeds, you can always expel them by macerating the pulp in the blender and then straining the juice and pulp from the seeds using a fine metal mesh strainer
- Try to buy passionate fruit that bounces back slightly when you touch it as that means there will be a lot of seeds, flesh, and moisture inside
- If the surface of the passion fruit is a bit wrinkled, it means it is sweeter in flavor
- As passion fruit travels a long way to get to local markets, it is common for the thick skin to have small nicks or abrasions, and this does not affect the flavor or integrity of the sweet flesh inside
- Passion fruit is best stored in a cool, dark place until you are ready to eat them
- Wash passion fruit well before using it to avoid passing bacteria from the skin to the flesh when you cut the fruit
- Avoid eating the white layer of the passion fruit, which is very bitter and can cause digestive distress
- If fresh lemons and limes are not available, you can use bottled juice instead
There is no user reviews.
Categories : Weight Loss
Recent edits by: Eng, Donna