Lose Weight with Parsley With Parsley Tea vs Leaf Supplements vs Smoothies ... and 1 more
Edited by Donna, Eng, DeleteQnA
Parsley is a common kitchen herb that is widely available. This culinary staple quite low in calories but very high in nutrition and antioxidants, and the more of it that you happen to have in your diet, the more likely you are to lose weight. Part of that weight loss might be because parsley is also a powerful natural diuretic that helps the body eliminate excess water, which helps people look trimmer around the middle.
Parsley helps you lose weight because:
- Parsley contains no fat and measures in at only 22 calories per packed cup of chopped herb
- Parsley is a vegan source of protein, that can help cut hunger pangs, and keep you feeling well while you are on a diet
- It is known for being very rich in homocysteine, which is a factor that reduces the risk of additional weight gain, stroke and elevated cholesterol in people with diabetic heart disease
- It is very high rich vitamins that support the health of the entire endocrine system including vitamins A, C, B9 and K.
- One cup of chopped fresh parsley contains 133 mg of Vitamin C, which supports the health of the entire body, but especially the endocrine system that supports metabolism
- The high vitamin K level in parsley helps thin the blood, lower your cholesterol and improve your circulation, which helps your body work more efficiently
- The high iron content in parsley is beneficial for hair growth for people who are risking hair loss because them are on a diet that restricts protein and fat
- Parsley is very high in folate, which helps your body convert carbohydrates into fuel instead of at and keeps your hair healthy while you are on a low-calorie diet
- It is very high in quercetin, which helps lower cholesterol and high blood pressure
- It is high in potassium which helps keep you feeling energetic and well enough to exercise
- It is high in fiber and helps to clean waste out of the colon, which in turn, helps you achieve a flatter looking tummy
- It is a digestive aid that relieves flatulence and helps your entire system digest food more effectively, which aids nutrient absorption
- It supports that elimination of fat cells from the liver, thus aiding individuals with fatty liver disease
- Parsley contains is a potent antibacterial agent that helps to eliminate yeast and infections that might be causing cravings, inflammation and an inability to lose weight
- Parsley contains chlorophyll, which is a very potent cleanser of cells and as an added bonus, helps you
Note that both curly parsley and flat leaf parsley have almost the same nutritional profile, but curly parsley has more of a bitter taste. For this reason, people prefer to use the Italian flat leaf variety to make teas and meals.
Method 1: With Parsley Tea
Parsley tea helps you lose weight because it is high in vitamins, quercetin and potassium, all of which supports the immune system. Parsley tea is sold in health food stores in tea bag form. You can also buy it loose or you can make it with fresh parsley if you like it. To make parsley tea from a tea bag or dried leaves:
- 1There are many conditions that could be affected by drinking parsley tea. It may interfere with diabetic medication and cause your blood sugar levels to dip to low. In some individuals, parsley can cause rather than relieve water retention. Parsley tea is also not recommended for pregnant women because it is used to induce spontaneous abortion. Drinking parsley tea can also make kidney disease worse.Be sure to consult with your doctor before using parsley tea as a weight loss aid.Advertisement
To make parsley tea from fresh leaves:
- 1A cup of parsley is usually the perfect amount for this. You can use either flat leaf Italian parsley or curly parsley for this tea. Chopping the parsley finely first helps release the essential oils in the produce.Finely mince a handful of washed parsley with a very sharp knife and place the leaves in a glass teapot with an inbuilt infuser.
- 2This means that the tea may not be very hot, but it is much more important for it to be strong. You can continue the brew the fresh parsley all day and also continue adding more water to make more tea if you like.Pour 2 cups of boiling water over the parsley and let it steep for about forty minutes.
Method 2: With Parsley Leaf Supplements
Parsley Leaf supplements are sold in tablet form and as capsules. Parsley leaf is often used as a quick weight loss diet pill, ideal for those trying to get four or five pounds off so they can it into a particular dress.
- 1Parsley supplements are not suitable for those who are pregnant or who have kidney disease, because the plants contain oxalates that induce abortion. Taken in excess, the oxalates in parsley leaf can also cause kidney failure. Parsley leaf supplements may also lower blood sugar levels to a dangerous level especially if you are already on blood sugar lowering medications. In some people parsley leaf can cause bloating rather than remedy it.It is very important to consult with your doctor before taking parsley supplements.Advertisement
- 4This is to give your body a break from the detoxing and diuretic qualities of parsley and help prevent the formation of kidney stones. A good way to think of this is that you will only take the parsley supplement during the week and take a break from taking them on the weekend.You can take parsley pills for five days in a row and then take a two day break before resuming taking them again.
Method 3: With Parsley Smoothies
It is safest to drink your parsley in a smoothie as the other ingredients help pace the rate at which it detoxifies your organs and flushes water out of your body. You are advised to only have one smoothie a day and to never exceed consuming 3 cups of parsley in one day This is because consuming too much parsley at once can cause the formation of kidney stones. The recipe for each smoothie below is based on creating a 12-ounce serving. Try to use organic ingredients wherever possible to amplify the efficiency of these smoothies as diuretics and weight loss aids.
- 1Blend together a cup of parsley, a cup of frozen green grapes, the juice of one whole fresh lemon, a tablespoon of flax seeds, a cup of ice water and 1 cup of ice in a blender. Whirl this mixture together until smooth and drink. The grapes are high in Vitamin C and help fight inflammation, which keeps you lean and better able to metabolize fats. Lemon juice is deeply cleansing and helps you lose weight by keeping your body's pH level alkaline.Make a Parsley, Grape and Lemon smoothie at 70 calories.
Method 4: By Adding More Parsley to Your Diet
Adding parsley to your diet every day is a great way to take advantage of the natural fibers in the plant. It is also the safest way to eat it. Most people can eat five cups of parsley a day with no ill effects, but to stay in the safe zone, consume more than 3 cups a day
- 1Parsley goes with almost everything and it is easy to benefit from it's histamine lowering properties, simply by doing this every day.Add chopped parsley to all of your savory dishes including salads, soups, sauces and main dishes.
- 2This is a garnish made from equal parts of chopped raw garlic, chopped parsley and lemon zest. Sprinkle the gremolata over braised or roasted meats, seafood or vegetables while they are cooking. Garlic is a potent anti-inflammatory and immune booster that assists with the health of your digestive system and endocrine system.Make a traditional Italian gremolata.
- 3Combine 1 cup each of basil, parsley, pine nuts, grated parmesan and olive oil and blend until smooth. Serve over pasta or steamed vegetables or spice up a tomato soup with it. The basil and pine nuts in this recipe are anti-inflammatories that help keep your arteries, joints and endocrine system in good shape. To make a pesto pasta dish with no calories, use glucomannan pasta for the base, which is a pasta made from the konjac plant that has 0 calories per serving.Add chopped parsley to pesto sauce.
- 4Combine 1 cup each of chopped parsley, sun-dried tomatoes, parmesan cheese and cashew nuts. To make a pesto pasta dish with no calories, use glucomannan pasta for the base, which has 0 calories per serving. The cashews supply the recipe with protein and essential fatty acids which boosts your mood and helps support the health of your thyroid and pancreas.Make a parsley, cashew and sun-dried tomato sauce.
- 5Heat two cups of milk, ½ cup of chopped parsley, 1 chopped onion, a dash of mace, 1 Bay leaf, 2 ounces of butter and a tablespoon of flour in a saucepan Season with ten whole peppercorns and keeping stirring the mixture over low heat until it thickens and you have created a creamy sauce. Traditionally this sauce, which is very healthy for you because mace and onion are fat-burning foods is served over any type of fish or mashed potatoes. It goes well with fattier fishes such as cod and salmon. It could be served over any type of vegetable and would be especially good served over cauliflower rice or cauliflower mashed potatoes. It could even be served over glucomannan pasta.Make a traditional English parsley sauce to pour over meat, fish or vegetables.
- 6Combine two tablespoons of tahini with the juice of 1 lemon, 2 garlic cloves, 1 tablespoon of olive oil, ¼ cup of hot water and ¼ cup of chopped parsley in a sauce pan. Cook over low heat and stir constantly for about eight minutes until the mixture has a sauce-like consistency. This sauce, which is rich in vegan protein and essential fatty acids, is suited to those who can't consume sauces made with dairy products.Make a Parsley, Tahini and garlic sauce to pour over roasted or steamed vegetables.
- 7Combine 1 cup chopped shallots, 1 cup chopped parsley, 5 chopped garlic cloves, 1 cup of olive oil and one cup of chopped thin red pepper in a large shallow baking dish. Season the mixture with salt and pepper. Roast the ingredients at 250 degrees Fahrenheit for forty minutes, stirring with a large spoon occasionally until the ingredients have degraded into a sauce. You can serve this sauce chunky style or put it in a blender and whirl it until it is smooth.Make a Parsley, Shallot and Lime sauce to pour over vegetables and meat.
- 8Blend until smooth and use as a sauce. Capers are very rich in phytonutrients, anti-oxidants and Vitamin C, which are all essential factors for weight loss. Capers also reduce high cholesterol in obese people.Make a Parsley, Caper sauce to pour over meat, fish or vegetables Combine two tablespoons of olive oil with the juice of 1 lemon, 2 tablespoons of white wine, ¼ cup of chicken or vegetable stock, 2 tablespoons of capers, 2 tablespoons of butter and a cup of parsley leaves.
- 9Combine one cup chopped parsley with one cup of bulgur wheat, chopped mint leaves, lemon juice and organic olive oil to make a dish. This is not a dish that is recommended for you if you have a wheat allergy or IBS or if you are diabetic and not allowed starches.Make the class Eastern parsley dish Tabouleh.
- 10Combine ¼ cup each of minced cilantro, mint, parsley, garlic, scallions, red Serrano hot chilies and white onion. Add a cup of chopped tomatoes, chopped cucumbers and red bell pepper. Season with the zest of 3 lemons, 1 teaspoon o ground cinnamon, salt and pepper. Blend all of the ingredients together with a spoon and serve. Everything in this salad is very rich in antioxidants and the chili peppers and cinnamon powder boost the circulation so that it is easier for your body to metabolize fats.Make a classic Israeli Chopped Salad.
- 11In a six quart pot combine four cups of fresh parsley, three tablespoons of unsalted butter, two cloves of chopped garlic, 1 chopped yellow onion, 4 cups vegetable or chicken stock, 1 cup of heavy cream or coconut milk, the juice of one lemon and one tablespoon freshly ground horseradish. Simmer all of the ingredients for about one hour until cooked and then puree it all in a blender until smooth. Although this dish is higher in fat it is still very healthy because of the generous amounts of parsley, garlic horseradish in it, all of which are very rich in chromium. Chromium helps fight insulin resistance and weight gain. Eating only this soup with a low-fat cracker makes a wholesome lunch and helps cut cravings for fattier meals and snacks during the day.Make a cream of parsley soup.
Tips and Tricks
- Parsley can last a long time if stored in a glass of water, whether stored in or out of the refrigerator
- Buy organic parsley whenever possible to help avoid ingesting pesticides
- Locally grown parsley tends to be the freshest as it does not have to travel over long distances in trucks, so buy that if it is available
- If you want your parsley smoothie to look less green in color, then use the stems and not the leaves, so that you still get the flavor, but not the brownish coloring it can add to drinks
- Keep fresh parsley in a plastic bag in the refrigerator in a plastic bat
- Wilted parsley can be regenerated by sprinkling a bit of water on it, but avoid eating parsley that is wilted and completely brown
- Curly parsley can be frozen as is and used for months
- You can freeze flat leaf Italian parsley by grinding it up into a paste, adding a bit of water and freezing it in ice cube trays
- Do not take Aspirin if you are taking parsley supplements as that can cause unpleasant interactions
- Be aware that the high amounts of Vitamin K in parsley is a natural blood thinner that can interfere with the effects of blood thinning drugs.
- Some people experience a skin rash when eating large amounts of parsley, but this is very rare
- Parsley should be avoided as a food and the supplements and tea should not be consumed at two weeks before surgery, as it can causes blood sugar levels to sink to dangerously low levels
- Eating too much parsley on a regular basis could cause kidney stones
- Parsley contains myristicin, which is a hallucinogenic and if you consume more than fifteen cups of parsley you risk loss of balance and giddiness
- When shopping or capers choose those with the lowest sodium level as they are packed in sodium chloride, which can be less than ideal for those on diets supporting kidney or liver health
- Glucomannan noodles are also sometimes sold as yam noodles or called Miracle noodles
Questions and Answers
I am in stage 3 kidney disease...will parsley tea be more beneficial for me or would smoothies be better?
I am in stage 3 kidney disease will parsley teas be better than parsley smoothies
VisiHow QnA. This section is not written yet. Want to join in? Click EDIT to write this answer.