Lose Weight with Onions
Edited by Donna, Eng, car, Alma and 1 other
- 1 Weight Loss and Other Benefits of Onions
- 2 Steps to Losing Weight On The Onion Diet
- 3 Additional Ways To Include More Onions In Your Diet
- 4 Tips and Tricks
- 5 Questions and Answers
- 6 Comments
Weight Loss and Other Benefits of Onions
Onions help you to lose weight because:
- They are in the top ten of foods that are rich in polyphenols and especially quercetin, which fights weight gain by keeping the cardiovascular system in shape and keeping resistance to insulin low
- They are a rich source of flavonoids, which fights inflammation and insulin resistance in the body, making it easier to exercise on a regular basis
- Onions are rich in biotin, which helps the body metabolize carbohydrates more efficiently, which in turn expedites weight loss
- Onions contain Diallyl Disulfide, which helps reduce cholesterol levels and which stimulates the intestines to process weight efficiently
- Onions are rich in manganese, copper, phosphorus, potassium, and folate, all of which nourish the blood and circulatory system, keeping the body in generally good working order
- They are rich in sulfides, which help keep connective tissues in good order so that you can exercise without pain
Steps to Losing Weight On The Onion Diet
Losing weight by eating onions occurs when you eat one whole onion three times a day, which is 600 grams of onion a day. You can stay on this diet for as long as you like. The more onions you eat, the more weight you will lose. Choose clean firm onions with no openings in the upper neck, mold or soft spots. The outside onion skin paper should be crisp and not soggy. Never refrigerate onions. Instead, store them in a cool well-ventilated place.
- 1Buy fresh, organic bulb onions. Every onion type is beneficial but the variety with the most polyphenols, flavenols and antioxidants is the Red Onion (also known as the Spanish Onion) followed by Yellow Onion and then the White Onion. If you do your shopping weekly you will need at least 30 onions to last you a week, as you will as you will be making onion tea, onion soup, and tomato onion juice to consume every day.Advertisement
- 2Drink five ounces of onion tea at least once a day. To make onion tea, place the entire onion, including the skin into a blender and pulverize as finely as possible. Add one quart of boiling water and let it sit for fifteen minutes. Strain out the pulp and pour into a container. Drink it cold or hot. If you want more of a diuretic effect to reduce bloating add a handful of parsley to your blender mix. The tea will last about three days in the refrigerator.Advertisement
- 3Take two ounces of fresh onion juice twice a day. Juice four or five onions in a juicer, or more, to get a few ounces of fresh juice. Mix with tomato juice or orange juice if you need to subdue the strong taste. This strong juice provides the body with twenty times the quercetin that you would normally get from other foods in the allium plant family.
- 4Replace one meal a day with a bowl of diet onion soup every day. Slice up six onions and boil in six to eight pot of beef or chicken bone broth, If you are vegetarian you can use vegetable broth. Add any one or more of the following to improve the taste and boost the fat burning properties of the broth: garlic, parsley, turmeric, hot chili peppers, coriander, pepper, salt or lemon juice. It is okay to make a big batch of onion soup because onions are unique in that their quercetin value does not degrade much when boiled.
- 5Add onions to your diet whenever possible to boost your health and lose weight. Ideas for how to eat more onions, without adding a lot of fat or extra calories to your diet are in the Additional Ways To Include More Onions In Your Diet below.
Additional Ways To Include More Onions In Your Diet
The rawer your onions are, the more nutritious they will be and the more they qualify to be a diet food. If cooking is required, broil or boil for the least amount of time possible.
- 1Eat onions that have been sautéed in broth, water or juice as a side dish. Onions are delicious sautéed in butter or oil, but that can cause weight gain. The trick to sautéing onions is to slice then super-thinly and then cook them in a liquid for no more than seven minutes. Liquids that work well are chicken broth, beef broth, orange juice, lemon juice, lime juice and tomato water.
Tips and Tricks
- To prevent your eyes from watering when cutting onions, rinse them in cold water first
- Most of the quercetin content is in the very outermost layers of the onion, so don't over peel them when chopping them up
- Never eat a sprouting onion as that means it has gone bad; you can, however, plant it in your garden
Questions and Answers
Will eating raw onion every morning, plus a raw egg, help me lose weight? I love both & I am overweight?
I am about 50 pounds over Weight, Just wondering if raw egg & onion will help me? I am not a big eater, at all & I am very active. Struggled with weight my whole life, basically, have to starve to be skinny. I have tried: Everything, lol. Dieting or starving doesn't work, cause when I eat normal, it goes back on. I think it was caused by: I am starting to think it's in my Genes, all my cousins & sister & brother are the same way.
VisiHow QnA. This section is not written yet. Want to join in? Click EDIT to write this answer.