Lose Weight with Cantaloupe On the Cantaloupe Weight Loss Diet vs By Substituting Meals For Cantaloupe Smoothies vs By Eating Cantaloupe Every Day For Weight Loss
Edited by Donna, Eng, Alma
Weight Loss and Other Benefits of Eating Cantaloupe
Cantaloupe has always been recognized as a nutrient dense source of a broad spectrum of vitamin and minerals. This quite ordinary melon is a common diet food that is low-calorie, low-fat and a natural diuretic. Cantaloupe is easily purchased from farmer's markets and supermarkets. In some parts of the United States it is also known as muskmelon. Cantaloupes can have ribbed skin or smooth skin with a webbed pattern and the inner color can vary from being a pale pink to a bright yellow to a deep orange.
Eating cantaloupe promotes weight loss because:
- There are only 54 grams of carbohydrates in every cantaloupe, which makes it an ideal weight-loss fruit for individuals following a low carb diet
- There is almost no fat in cantaloupes, which makes it an ideal diet food for those following a low-fat eating plan
- Cantaloupes are rich in polyphenols, which help maintain the cellular health needed to maintain weight loss over the long term
- Cantaloupe contains a protein called a C-reactive protein that helps reduce inflammation all over the body as well as reduce the risk of developing insulin resistance and Type II diabetes
- The flesh of the cantaloupe is a natural blocker of carbohydrates, which helps those with regular metabolisms and those with insulin-resistant issues lose weight
- Like many fruits in the melon family, cantaloupes are higher in potassium lower in sodium making them useful for helping to prevent water retention and bloating ( this is especially true for individuals with metabolic disorders like insulin resistance and Type II diabetes)
- The raw fruit has a diuretic effect that aids the liver and kidneys in detoxification and reduces bloating, especially in those who gain weight due to hormonal imbalances
- It is a very filling, but low-calorie food with a creamy sweet taste that can help cut cravings for sweeter foods that are unhealthier for you such as cakes or ice cream
- It is a good source of easily digested plant fiber that helps clear waste and toxins from the digestive system, thus aiding elimination
- Cantaloupe is a rich source of B vitamins that assist with general overall health including B1, B3, B6 and folate
- The phytonutrients in cantaloupe are especially helpful to the kidneys and also help improve insulin resistance levels
- Cantaloupe contains high amounts of copper, iron, and magnesium, which are needed to keep your nervous system and hair healthy while you are on a diet
- The edible seeds contain essential fatty acids that support healthy weight loss and prevent the hair loss that can come with dieting
Method 1: On the Cantaloupe Weight Loss Diet
You can lose two to four pounds by following this low-fat, low-protein and low-carb diet. You can stay on this calorie-restricted diet without risking nutritional deficiencies for 60 days without risking nutritional deficiencies. The goal is to prevent yourself from eating between 500 and 800 calories a day by replacing meals, junk food, and fatty foods with cantaloupe instead. After three months you can expect a weight loss of 16 to 30 pounds.
- 1Check with your doctor first to see if this diet, which relies on some calorie restriction, is right for you. Some health conditions require that you take medication with full meals and if heavy weight lifting is part of a prescribed routine, you may not be able to do it on these few calories. This is also not a suitable diet for you to be on if you are not allowed to have dairy products. This is also not a high-protein diet as it focuses on giving the liver a break from digesting meat proteins, so if you cannot get through the day without eating meat then this diet is not for you.Advertisement
- 2Buy enough cantaloupes to last you a week at the market. The idea is that you will be eating at least a half of a cantaloupe a day for breakfast and also making fresh juice with the flesh in your blender as a meal substitute for one week. You will be doing this every week for eight weeks.Advertisement
- 3For breakfast every day consume at least a cup of cantaloupe, with either a half a cup of Greek yogurt or a ½ cup of low-fat cottage cheese. The dairy products take care of your protein needs for the day. If you like you can sprinkle walnuts, pumpkin seeds or almonds on top of the yogurt for a bit more protein and a taste of essential fatty oils.
- 4For lunch every day eat a salad that contains a half cup of chopped or pureed cantaloupe or eat the salad along with a six-ounce glass of fresh cantaloupe juice. You can also have whole cantaloupe pieces on the side as a dessert. Make sure that the salad contains at least one type of leafy green, such as red lettuce, arugula or watercress, and brain-healthy oils such as walnut or olive oil mixed with a vinegar such apple cider or rice vinegar. The salad should also contain a non-meat protein such as cottage cheese, feta cheese, quinoa, soaked chia seeds, almonds or walnuts. You can also add other vegetables and fruits to this low-fat salad (which should be less than 500 calories when made) such as blueberries, red onions, cucumbers, and tomatoes. Certain herbs go very well with cantaloupe including dill, mint, cumin and parsley.
- 5For dinner eat four ounces of a recommended protein with two roasted or raw low carb vegetables. Allowed proteins include steak, lamb, shrimp and white fish. If a fish is pink or red in color it is too fatty for this diet. Recommended non-starchy vegetables include zucchini, squash, cauliflower, cabbage, tomato, kale, broccoli, broccoli and asparagus. You can add cantaloupe to the salad if you like. Drinking cantaloupe juice is not recommended for this meal as it can cause an upset stomach.
- 6For a snack or extra meal have cut vegetables (crudités), a cup of bone broth or the equivalent of a half a cup of cantaloupe. If you are vegan or vegetable you can have mushroom or vegetable broth, instead of bone broth, but bone broth has the minerals, B vitamins, and full amino acid profile needed to balance this diet out nutritionally, especially if you are planning to be on it for the full two months
- 7Stay away from eating high-calorie, refined starches, and fried food, while you are on this diet. This includes all bread, French fries, mashed potatoes, sugar, colas, ice cream, cakes, donuts, and gravies. Eating these foods along with so much cantaloupe will not only upset your stomach, but it will also cause weight gain.
- 8Make sure that you drink at least eight eight-ounce glasses of spring or distilled water a day. Cantaloupe is a powerful detoxifier and adequate water intake will help you get rid of any toxins in your liver, kidneys or intestines that might be sabotaging your weight loss.
- 9Exercise for at least one hour every day. A one-hour walk, bike ride or gentle swim every day can help you relax and shed the weight. Do not burn calories through strenuous activities like weight-lifting, as you are not really taking in enough fuel in the form of calories and fat for your muscles to work properly.
- 10Make sure that you get at least eight hours of rest every night so that your body can repair itself. Bodies that are stressed out from a lack of sleep tend to gain weight rather than lose it.
- 11Try to avoid stress and anger and situations that may trigger you to eat more than you need to. Many people self-medicate with food, especially salty and sweet treats that are high in sugar and sodium, and that also cause you to gain weight.
- 12Wait a month and then repeat this diet if necessary. If you have not lost all of the weight that you want, then wait four weeks before you go on it again.
Method 2: By Substituting Meals For Cantaloupe Smoothies
The premise behind this diet is that you will lose weight to replace one-two meals a day with a cantaloupe smoothie that is 300 calories or less. This is a twelve-day plan that you can repeat until you have lost all of the weight. It also involves minimizing your intake of starchy carbohydrates, fatty meats, potatoes, rice, bread, and pasta. Note as well, that there are no snacks allowed on this diet, except for half of a cup of cantaloupe chunks. You may have coffee or tea while you are on this diet.
- 1Check with your doctor first to make sure that you are healthy enough to go on this type of diet. This, like many diets, is based on calorie deprivation, and it can affect some people who are taking medication to control a chronic illness or people with IBS, chronic fatigue or diabetes.Advertisement
- 2On Day 1, drink a Strawberry, Cantaloupe Smoothie for breakfast at 178 calories. Blend together one cup of cold coconut water, one cup of ice, one cup of frozen, strawberries, 2 cups of cantaloupe, two tablespoons of oatmeal and a tablespoon of raw organic honey. Blend all of the ingredients together until smooth and serve. The coconut water and oatmeal help you feel full and the honey is a natural disinfectant that also helps this tart shake taste a little sweeter.
- 3Have a Green Parsley Cantaloupe Smoothie for lunch at 100 calories. Blend together one cup of cold water, one cup of ice, one cup of baby spinach (packed tightly into the cup) ,a handful of parsley and 2 cups of cantaloupe. Blend all of the ingredients together until smooth and serve. The greens are full of vitamins that you need to function and the parsley is a potent detoxifier of the kidneys and diuretic that reduces belly bloat.
- 4Eat four ounces of grilled steak with six spears of grilled asparagus and two sliced medium tomatoes for supper. Season this meal with pepper and salt and stay away from using any condiment but hot sauce on the meal. Be sure to use any hot sauce in a sparing manner to avoid consuming too much sodium, which can cause bloating or weight gain.
- 5On Day 2, have a Blueberry Cantaloupe Smoothie for breakfast at 170 calories. Blend together one cup of cold coconut water, one cup of ice, one cup of frozen blueberries, 1 cups of cantaloupe, two tablespoons of oatmeal and a tablespoon of raw organic honey. Blend all of the ingredients together until smooth and drink. Blueberries are an excellent source of antioxidants that complement the anti-inflammatory and diuretic action of the cantaloupe and blueberries.
- 6For lunch have 3.5 ounces of tinned tuna mixed with raw Spanish onion and a handful of basil leaves on a bed of red leaf or iceberg lettuce along with two melba toast. The only condiments allowed for this lunch are salt and pepper.
- 7For supper, enjoy a Cantaloupe, Celery, Cilantro and Tomato smoothie at 100 calories. Blend together 2 cups of chopped cantaloupe, two small chopped up fresh tomatoes,1 cup of grated carrot, a clove of fresh garlic and a handful of dill or parsley. Blend until smooth and then add a dash of vinegar and salt and pepper to taste. This drink is a diuretic that eliminates bloat and it is also full of healing Vitamin C.
- 8On Day 3, eat a bowl of oatmeal with raw apple slices, sprinkled with almonds and cinnamon for breakfast. Both the oatmeal and the raw apple slices provide your body with needed amounts of fiber. The almonds supply the brain with the essential fatty acids you need to be in a good mood while on a calorie restricted diet.
- 9For lunch have a Cantaloupe, Cranberry and Banana smoothie at 160 calories. Mix together 1 cup of cantaloupe, 3/4 cup of frozen cranberries, ¼ cup of almond milk, a ripe banana and a tablespoon of honey in a blender and blend together until smooth. If the drink is too tart, then you can add Truvia or Splenda to the mixture.
- 10For supper have a Red Cabbage, Black Kale, and Cantaloupe smoothie at 122 calories. In a blender, mix together 1 cup of chopped cantaloupe, 1 cup shredded red cabbage, 1 cup packed black kale and 1 cup ice. Blend until smooth and garnish with a handful of pumpkin seeds or sesame seeds, which help add essential fatty acids to the meal.
- 11On Day 4, have a Peach, Avocado and Cantaloupe Smoothie for breakfast at 160 calories. Blend together one cup of cold coconut water, one cup of ice, one cup of sliced fresh or frozen peaches, 1 cup of chopped cantaloupe, the flesh of one small avocado and a teaspoon of liquid stevia. Blend all of the ingredients together until smooth and serve. The coconut water and oatmeal are filling and the honey and the sweet peach taste helps cut cravings for sweets.
- 12Have a Chocolate, Avocado and Cantaloupe Smoothie for lunch at 110 calories. Combine 2 tablespoons mashed avocado, 2 tablespoons raw unsweetened cacao powder, 2 large Medjool dates (pitted), a dash of ground cinnamon, 1/8 of a teaspoon cayenne powder, 1 cup of coconut water and ½ cup of ice. Blend until frosty and smooth. Raw cacao can lift energy levels and elevate your mood. The dates and cinnamon help the digestive system to eliminate toxins fast.
- 13Eat four ounces of grilled lean with a cup of grilled peppers and two sliced medium tomatoes for supper. Season this meal with pepper and salt and stay away from using any condiment but hot sauce or a teaspoon of mustard on the meal. Be aware that using too much hot sauce or mustard can elevate your sodium levels and cause bloating and weight gain.
- 14On Day 5, have a fortifying Beet, Strawberry, and Cantaloupe Smoothie for breakfast at 150 calories. In a blender, mix together two cooked, peeled beets, 1 cups of frozen unsweetened coconut, ½ cup of ice cubes, 1 cup of frozen strawberries, 1 cup of fresh chopped cantaloupe puree and a squirt or two of lemon juice. Blend until creamy and smooth and serve. Beets and strawberries help detoxify the liver. Beets also contain nitrous oxide, a chemical that helps build muscle and prevent carbohydrates from turning into fat.
- 15For lunch have 3.5 ounces of tinned sardines mixed with raw Spanish onion, lemon juice, a sprig of shredded dill and one tablespoon of yogurt. Served with two melba toast or two Grisson brand bread sticks. Sardines are a healthy source of Vitamin E which helps your skin and hair look healthy while you are dieting.
- 16For supper, enjoy a Make a Cucumber, Cantaloupe and Cashew smoothie at 130 calories per serving. In a blender, combine a cup of chopped cantaloupe, a cup of chopped cucumber (with the skin on), a cup of cashews, 1 cup of baby spinach, 1 cup of coconut water, 1 cup of ice cubes, a dash of lemon juice and a teaspoon of liquid Stevia. You can also make this into a savory drink by adding a dash of liquid cayenne pepper, salt, and pepper.
- 17On Day 6, have a bowl of oatmeal with blueberries, sprinkled with cinnamon and chopped pecans. Both the oatmeal and the blueberry provide your body with ample amounts of Vitamin C and lots of fiber and the pecans are a healthy source of fatty acids that are good for the brain and pituitary gland.
- 18For lunch make an Almond, Orange, and Cantaloupe smoothie at 180 calories a serving. Combine ½ cup of vanilla flavored almond milk with one cup of fresh orange juice, 1/2 cup of chopped cantaloupe and a cup of ice and blend until frosty. Sprinkle with a bit of cinnamon and a drop or two of real vanilla flavoring and serve. Almonds provide essential fatty acids that help improve heart health and the oranges are a great source of extra Vitamin C that also help sweeten the mixture.
- 19For supper have a Kale, Sweet Potato and Cantaloupe smoothie at 122 calories. In a blender, mix together 1 cup of chopped cantaloupe, 1 cup chopped boiled sweet potato and 1 cup of packed black kale. Blend until smooth and garnish with a handful of pumpkin seeds or sesame seeds, which help add essential fatty acids to the meal. You can have a sweet version of this by adding a tablespoon of Maple Syrup or you can have a savory version by adding grated garlic, hot sauce and salt and pepper. The Sweet potato will help stimulate your intestinal muscles to eliminate and the black kale is very rich in minerals that assist the endocrine system (the system that governs your metabolism) in staying healthy.
- 20On Day 7, have a Cacao, Banana and Cantaloupe Smoothie for breakfast at 150 calories. Blend together a cup of chopped cantaloupe, a cup of vanilla flavored almond milk, a heaping teaspoon of cacao and a cup of ice and blend until smooth. The banana provides you with the potassium you need to keep your blood pressure low and your intestines in good working condition. The cacao keeps you in a good mood and stops the mood swings and depression that sometimes come with being on a very low-calorie diet.
- 21Make a Cherry, Cashew and Cantaloupe smoothie that is 190 calories per serving. Combine half a cup of cantaloupe, ½ cup frozen cherries, one banana, ½ cup of cashews, 1 cup of baby spinach or kale, 1 tablespoon of real vanilla extract, ¾ cup of ice in a blender. Blend together until creamy and frosty and drink. This beverage drink is naturally sweet and very high in Vitamin C, iron, and protein to help prevent the muscle wasting and hair loss that can occur on low-calorie diets.
- 22Eat four ounces of grilled white fish like tilapia with one cup of grilled zucchini and two grilled tomatoes for supper. You can season this meal with lemon, salt, and pepper. You can also roast these foods but grilling without oil is your healthiest option if you want to lose weight.
- 23On Day 8, make a Spinach, Cantaloupe, and Acai smoothie at 124 calories per serving. Pack a cup of spinach in a blender with one cup of ice and ½ cup of low-fat Greek vanilla yogurt and blend well. Add 1 cup of chopped cantaloupe, ½ cup of frozen acai puree and a dash of pure Maple syrup or liquid stevia to sweeten the smoothie. Blend all of the ingredients until creamy and serve. Acai berries reduce inflammation, helps build muscle and improve your blood sugar levels. This smoothie helps you have enough energy to take a stroll around the block and get some exercise.
- 24For lunch, have 3.5 ounces of white turkey mixed with raw Spanish onion and a tablespoon of Greek yogurt and on a bed of red leaf or iceberg lettuce. You can also have two melba toast or large flatbread crackers. The only condiments allowed for this lunch are salt and pepper. Turkey contains tryptophan, which helps calm the irritability that can be provoked by being on this type of calorie-restricted diet.
- 25For supper, enjoy an Almond Milk, Cantaloupe and Matcha Green Tea smoothie at 178 calories per serving. Puree 1 cup of vanilla almond milk, a cup of chopped cantaloupe, a cup of strong green tea, a cup of ice, a crumbled mint leaves and a teaspoon of grated ginger in a blender. Add a teaspoon of maple syrup or Truvia to the mixture to sweeten it if needed. Mix until smooth and frosty and then serve. This smoothie is rich in anti-inflammatory that keep your body energized while you lose weight. The vanilla almond milk is a rich source of protein and essential fatty acids.
- 26On Day 9, have a bowl of low-fat granola with bananas and blueberries, sprinkled with cinnamon and wetted with 2 tablespoons of almond milk. Both the granola and the fruit provide your body with needed amounts of fiber and energy to help get you through the day without feeling fatigued.
- 27For lunch have a Strawberry, Cantaloupe and Chamomile Tea smoothie that is 140 calories per serving. Blend 1 cup frozen strawberries with ½ cup of chopped cantaloupe, 1 cup chilled brewed chamomile tea, 1 tablespoon lemon juice, ½ cup of ice and two drops of liquid Stevia. Blend everything together and pour into a tall glass and serve. This lunch is very rich in Vitamin C, which keeps all of your systems in fine working order and also helps your skin tighten up after you lose weight. The chamomile tea also helps calm nerves that might be frazzled from being on a low-calorie diet for several days.
- 28For supper have a Celery, Cantaloupe and Cucumber smoothie at 122 calories. In a blender, mix together 1 cup of chopped cantaloupe, 1 cup diced celery and 1 cup of chopped cucumber. Add a teaspoon of coconut oil and a teaspoon of red apple cider vinegar. Season with salt and pepper and blend until smooth. All of the ingredients in this smoothie are a diuretic that help reduce bloating.
- 29On Day 10, have a Gelatin, Oatmeal, and Cantaloupe Smoothie for breakfast at 178 calories. Soften half of a packet of gelatin in two tablespoons of warm water. When softened, blend together one cup of cold coconut water, one cup of ice, 2 cups of cantaloupe, two tablespoons of oatmeal and a tablespoon of raw organic honey. Blend all of the ingredients together until smooth and serve. The coconut water and oatmeal help you feel full and the gelatin is good for soothing the nerves and any joint inflammation that might be the result of detoxification.
- 30Have a Habanero Pepper and Cantaloupe Smoothie for lunch at 100 calories. Blend together, one cup of ice, one chopped habanero pepper, one cup of baby spinach (packed into the cup), a handful of parsley and 2 cups of cantaloupe and a teaspoon of lemon juice. Blend all of the ingredients together until smooth and serve. The greens are full of vitamins that you need to function and the parsley detoxifies the kidneys. The habanero pepper stimulates your circulation and metabolism so that you can lose weight faster.
- 31Eat four ounces of grilled chicken with a cup of steamed cauliflower and two sliced medium tomatoes for supper. Season this meal with pepper and salt and apple cider vinegar and stay away from high sodium sauces.
- 32On Day 11, have a Mango and Cantaloupe Smoothie for breakfast at 170 calories. Blend together ½ cup of cold coconut milk, one cup of ice,1 cup of chopped mango, 1 cup of cantaloupe, and a tablespoon of raw organic honey. Blend all of the ingredients together until smooth and drink. Mangos are an excellent source of Vitamin A, which nourishes the liver and kidneys and helps keep the skin healthy during dieting.
- 33For lunch eat 3.5 ounces of tinned salmon mixed with raw Spanish onion and a handful of watercress and two melba toasts. The only condiments allowed for this lunch are salt and pepper. Watercress is exceptionally high in Vitamin C and good for helping you maintain your health while you are dieting.
- 34For supper, enjoy a Cantaloupe, Celery and Tomato smoothie at 100 calories. Blend together 2 cups of chopped cantaloupe, two small chopped up fresh tomatoes,1 cup of grated carrot, a clove of fresh garlic and a handful of dill or parsley. Blend until smooth and then add salt and pepper to taste. The celery and garlic in this dinner smoothie can help purify the liver and expel excess water from your tissues.
- 35On Day 12, have a bowl of oatmeal with sliced strawberry slices, sprinkled with cinnamon. Both the oatmeal and the strawberries are high in fiber. This breakfast is also very high in vitamin C, which helps the endocrine and immune systems keep you on the slim side.
- 36For lunch have a Cantaloupe, Pina Colada smoothie at 180 calories. Mix together 1 cup of cantaloupe, 3/4 cup of pineapple, ¼ cup of coconut milk, a ripe banana and a tablespoon of honey in a blender and blend together until smooth. If the drink is too tart, then you can add a little Truvia or Splenda to taste to the mixture.
- 37For supper have Cantaloupe, Mint and Almond smoothie at 172 calories. In a blender, mix together 1 cup of chopped cantaloupe, 1 cup of chia seeds, 1 cup of Vanilla Almond beverage and a big handful of mint. Blend until smooth and garnish with mint and almonds. The almonds ease you into the end of the diet period by offering more calories and a bit more protein, and the mint eases digestion and helps eliminate bloating.
Method 3: By Eating Cantaloupe Every Day For Weight Loss
Here are additional ways to include cantaloupe as a weight-loss food in your diet every day.
- 1Replace a full meal or snack with just a cup of raw cantaloupe, Eat it raw, cut up into chunks with a dash of lime, lemon or orange juice to enjoy a snack that is less than 100 calories.
Tips and Tricks
- When buying a cantaloupe, choose one that feels firm and a bit heavy, as that means it is ripe
- Choose a cantaloupe that makes a deep sound when you tap it
- Do not choose cantaloupes that give away at the stem end when you press on it, as that means the cantaloupe is overripe
- If you do not smell a strong cantaloupe aroma when you smell the stem side of the cantaloupe then it is likely not ripe
- Cantaloupes are best stored in the crisper bin of your refrigerator
- You must rinse a cantaloupe and wash it with a dry bristle brush before slicing it to reduce the risk of bacterial contamination
- Always wash the entire cantaloupe before you cut it as even organic cantaloupe could have bacteria on the skin