Lose Weight with Blackberries By Replacing Meals With Blackberry Smoothies vs Adding Blackberries to Your Daily Diet
Edited by Donna, Eng, Alma
Weight Loss and Other Benefits of Eating Blackberries
Blackberries enable weight loss because::
- Blackberries are an ideal diet food as they have no fat and only have 62 calories per cup
- They contain hundreds of phytonutrients and phytochemicals that are anti-aging, prevent cancer and keep your body working in tip-top shape so that it can easily detoxify and repair itself after a workout
- Blackberries have the unique ability to help tighten up your skin tissues so that your skin does not sag after extreme weight loss, which makes you look younger and thinner
- They are also unique because they contain tannins that reduce intestinal inflammation, which can make your belly look flat.
- Blackberries are considered to be a low-glycemic food, which means that eating them should not provoke insulin resistant reactions and consequent weight gain
- Blackberries are rich in polyphenols, which help maintain the cellular health needed to maintain weight loss over the long term
- Blackberries are very rich in Vitamin K and Vitamin C, which helps those suffering from auto-immune diseases that cause weight gain, such as arthritis or diabetes, to r quickly from exercise
- They contain large amounts of Vitamin E which combats arthritis, asthma, and chronic inflammation and also helps improve the efficiency of your metabolism
- Blackberries contain a substantial amount of manganese, which helps regulate blood sugar levels and keep smooth muscles relaxed
- There are four grams of fiber in one cup of blackberries, which helps detoxify the digestive system, eliminate body fat and get rid of bloat
- Blackberries are very filling fruit and eating them can help you feel full, which discourages the snacking between meals that can cause weight gain
- Blackberries contain a full spectrum of vitamins and minerals which means that they can be part of a meal replacement diet strategy.
- They are very high in Vitamin K, which helps relax your muscles and make it easier for you to recover after a workout
- Blackberries are rich in B6 helps keep the pituitary and thyroid glands working and well and converting ingested foods into fuel
- Blackberries are high in potassium, which is mildly diuretic and helps support the health of the kidneys and liver reduce belly fat
- Blackberries contain fatty acids and minerals that support the health of your brain and keep you clear, focused and in a good mood
Method 1: By Replacing Meals With Blackberry Smoothies
To lose a great deal of weight in a short t without hurting your health replace one to two meals a day with a blackberry smoothie. The smoothies on this list are all less than 200 calories, which means that you are saving 200 to 800 calories a day per meal while at the same time cutting hunger pangs and staying nourished. If you cut one meal a day and replace it with just one of the blackberry smoothies below you could lose two to five pounds a week and if you replace two meals you could lose four to ten pounds a week. Each recipe below makes one twelve ounce blackberry smoothie serving. Unless where specified, you can use fresh or frozen fruit in any of these weight loss smoothie recipes.
- 1Blend two cups of ice with a cup of frozen blackberries, a cup of chilled brewed Hibiscus tea, a teaspoon of Truvia or honey and a tablespoon of grated lemon zest from an organic lemon. The hibiscus tea is very rich in antioxidants that support weight loss and also the health of your endocrine and digestive systems. The lemon peel is rich in essential oils that add Vitamin E and K help speed up your metabolism and protect your system from damage due to insulin resistanceMake a Blackberry, Hibiscus, and Lemon Peel Smoothie at 55 calories per serving.Advertisement
- 2Blend one cup of ice with ½ cup of blackberries, ½ cup of blackberries, twelve seeded black concord grapes with a teaspoon of honey, three drops of apple cider vinegar with a handful of crushed ice until smooth. All of the berries in this tasty smoothie are powerful anti-inflammatories, blood purifies and diuretics, thus promote fast, efficient weight loss.Make a Blackberry, Blueberry and Concord Grape Smoothie at 70 calories per serving.Advertisement
- 3In a blender, combine a cup of chopped cucumber with the skin on, a small chopped seeded pear and half of a cup of blackberries. You may sweeten this with stevia or honey. The cucumber and pear in this drink combine together to provide relief for water retention and bloat, thus taking inches off of your waistline. Pear is also very rich in soluble fiber and Vitamin A, which promotes the health of your digestive system.Make a Blackberry, Pear, and Cucumber smoothie at 75 calories a serving.
- 4Blend together one chopped raw beet, two small carrots, a handful of baby kale, a cup of blackberries, a half a cup of chia seeds and a cup of ice in a blender. Whirl it all together until frosty and smooth. This smoothie is very high in Vitamins A and C and chromium, which helps to fight insulin resistance and metabolic disorders. The chia seed helps thicken the mixture and give the smoothie a thicker, more fibrous texture which helps lower the glycemic level of the sugars in the beet and carrot. The spinach is rich in iron, which supports the health of the liver and digestive system.Make a Blackberry, Beet, Kale and Carrot smoothie at 75 calories per serving.
- 5Blend together ½ cup of blackberries, a small frozen banana, ½ a cup of fresh frozen raspberries, six ounces of plain Greek yogurt, a tablespoon o honey and a handful of ice cubes. Blend everything together until smooth and frosty. This drink is very high in Vitamin C, which fights inflammation and helps keep the endocrine system healthy and both the raspberry and the banana work along with the blackberry to function as a healthy source of fiber.Make a Blackberry, Raspberry, and Banana Smoothie at 90 calories per serving.
- 6Blend together a half a cup of blackberries, the chopped pulp of one ripe mango, one frozen banana, a cup of ice and a splash of orange juice in a blender and whirl everything together until smooth. Mango is an excellent source of Vitamin A that supports the optimum functioning of the kidneys, liver and pancreas and the banana supplies the smoothie with potassium which helps flush salt and sodium from the bloodstream and liver and thus reduce bloating.Make a Blackberry, Mango, and Banana smoothie at 95 calories.
- 7Blend together, a handful of ice, a cup of frozen blackberries, a ½ cup of frozen strawberries, a cup of plain Greek nonfat yogurt, and a sprig of mint in a blender until smooth. If it is not sweet enough add a bit of Truvia or stevia to the mix. Both strawberries and yogurt contain protein, which helps stave off hunger and the strawberries in the smoothie recipe also add fiber to the mix.Make a Blackberry, Strawberry, and Yogurt smoothie at 110 calories per serving.
- 8Blend together a cup of fresh or frozen blackberries, 1 cup of frozen or freshly chopped spinach, the fruit of one small avocado and three drops of liquid Stevia or a teaspoon of honey. Spinach is a good source of iron that supports the liver and the avocado in the smoothie is very rich in Vitamin E and essential acids that keep your nervous system, muscles, and joints in good working order.Make a Blackberry Avocado and Spinach smoothie at 135 calories per serving.
- 9Blend 1 cup frozen blackberries with the segments of one small peeled orange, 1 cup chilled brewed chamomile tea, a ½ cup of ice and two drops of liquid Stevia. Blend everything together and pour into a tall glass and serve. This frosty drink is very rich in Vitamin C, which keeps all of your systems in fine working order and also helps your skin tighten up after you lose weight. The chamomile tea also helps calm the irritability that sometimes accompanies being on a low-calorie diet.Make a Blackberry, Orange and Chamomile Tea smoothie that is 140 calories per serving.
- 10Puree 1 cup of vanilla or plain flavored rice milk, a cup of frozen blackberries, a cup of cooled strong green tea and a handful of ice in a blender. Add a teaspoon of maple syrup or Truvia to the mixture to sweeten it if needed. Mix until smooth and frosty and then serve. This smoothie is rich in anti-inflammatory agents that keep you feeling while you lose weight. The vanilla rice milk is a rich source of protein and B vitamins, which help you get through a workout, even though you are on a low-calorie diet.Make a Blackberry, Rice Milk Matcha Green Tea smoothie at 160 calories per serving.
- 11Blend together a cup of fresh or frozen blackberries, a cup of vanilla flavored almond milk, a heaping teaspoon of cacao and a cup of ice and blend until smooth. The banana provides you with the potassium you need to regulate your blood pressure low and sodium levels. The cacao in the cocoa helps prevent the mild depression and irritability that can sometimes accompany dieting.Make a Blackberry, Cocoa Powder and Banana Smoothie for breakfast at 170 calories per serving.
- 12In a blender, mix together 1 cup of chopped cantaloupe, 1 cup of blackberries, 1 cup of Vanilla Almond beverage and a cup of ice. Blend until cold and smooth in texture. The Greek yogurt supplies your guts with helpful probiotics and the cantaloupe is a potent diuretic that is also very rich in Vitamin A and C.Make a Blackberry, Cantaloupe and Greek Yogurt smoothie at 180 calories.
- 13Blend together a cup of blackberries, a cup of oatmeal, a cup of vanilla Greek yogurt, a cup of ice and a dash of cinnamon. Whirl everything together until smooth and frosty. Both the oatmeal and the Greek yogurt supply your body with protein and B vitamins and the cinnamon powder helps stimulate your circulation and give your metabolism a bit of a boostMake a Blackberry, Oatmeal and Greek Yogurt smoothie for breakfast at 185 calories.
- 14Combine half a cup of blackberries, ½ cup frozen sweet cherries, one small frozen banana, ½ cup of very cold cashew milk, one tablespoon of real vanilla extract and one cup of ice in a blender. Blend all of the ingredients together until creamy it has the consistency of a creamy and frosty milkshake. This beverage drink is naturally high in iron, vitamin C, and protein and the richness of the cashew milk can help you stave off your hunger pangs until it is time to the next smoothie or meal.Make a Blackberry, Cherry and Cashew milk smoothie that is 190 calories per serving.
Method 2: By Adding Blackberries to Your Daily Diet
Frozen blackberries work as well as raw ones for any recipe. They can be stored in the freezer for up to three months without losing any nutrients. It is always best to use raw blackberries whenever possible as cooking them rescues the availability of Vitamin C and E, as well as the antioxidants and polyphenols in the fruit.
Here are some suggestions for adding raw blackberries to your diet, which can help you stay healthy and lose weight.
- 2Choose hand-crafted sugar-free or low sugar versions of the preserves which are much better for you than the commercial brands or jams. You can mix preserves into yogurt, serve it with cottage cheese, eat them with cheese and crackers and put them on top of cheesecake and ice cream. You can also use blackberry preserves as a side dish to accompany roast chicken, turkey or pork.Eat blackberry preserves whenever possible.
- 3Brew four to five cups of your favorite green, orange or black of tea and to a two to four-liter drink pitcher half full of ice. Then add 2 cups of blackberry puree (easily made by mashing the blackberries up in a blender), a cup of lemon juice, tow tablespoon of Truvia or Zing! Sweetener and a handful of mint. Chill the beverage for two hours, stir well and serve over ice with whole floating blackberries and lemons as a garnish.Make a Blackberry Iced Tea.
- 4Mix 5 cups of blackberries, 2 cups spring water, two tablespoons of honey, ¼ cup of fresh organic lime or lemon juice and a quarter cup of crumbled mint sprigs together in a blender with 1 cup of ice. Pour in a pitcher frilled over ice and drink. This is a good way to get your eight cups of water that you need to stay hydrated and it is especially refreshing on a hot day.Make a Blackberry and Mint Agua Fresca.
- 5Simply whirl a half-cup of frozen blackberries, a couple of ice cubes, two teaspoons of fresh lime juice and a teaspoon of liquid or honey Truvia in a blend and whirl it all together until the drink has the consistency of a milkshake. Pour frosty blackberry limeade into a tall glass and serve. This smoothie is very rich in Vitamin C, E, and polyphenols that help reduce inflammation in the body.Make frozen Blackberry Limeade Frosty.
- 7The dairy products take care of your need or protein and calcium for the day and keep your feeling full until the net milk. If you like you can sprinkle crushed almonds, walnuts, pumpkin flax seeds on top of the yogurt to add essential fatty acids to the recipe.For breakfast, snack or dessert consume at least a cup of blackberries with either a half a cup of Greek yogurt or a ½ cup of low-fat cottage cheese.
- 8Arrange a cup of fresh blackberries in a bowl . Blend together, in a blender 1/3 of a cup of soaked chia seeds, ½ cup of almonds, 1 cup pitted dates, two tablespoons of orange juice and a splash of pure vanilla extract. Blend until the mixture is a chunky paste and spoon over the blackberries. Refrigerate for up until three days and eat for breakfast. Enjoy with an ounce of almond or coconut milk. This breakfast offers all the nutrients that you need to fuel your day and also convince your metabolism to convert energy into fuel for your body instead of fat.Have Chia and Blackberry deconstructed smoothie bowl for breakfast or dessert.
- 9This is a hearty way to get your blackberries that prevent you from craving unhealthy foods.Eat oatmeal with blackberries, sprinkled with cinnamon and chopped walnuts for breakfast .Both the oatmeal and the blackberry provide your body with ample amounts of Vitamin C and lots of fiber and the pecans and walnuts are healthy source of fatty acids that nourish the brain and pituitary gland.
- 10This fruit salsa offers the benefits of blackberries along with the anti-inflammatory benefits of onions, garlic, and mangos. To make the salsa, which can be used in tacos, wraps and as a dip for vegetables and tortillas, mix one cup o blackberries and one cup of fresh mango and with one cup of chopped red onion, 2 large cloves of garlic, a tablespoon of honey, lemon juice and a handful of cilantro and mix it all together. Season with salt and pepper and serve. This salsa also goes well with salmon, chicken, turkey, and pork. This very sharp tasting dish is rich in antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals that can help you fight inflammation, fungus, and bacterial growth as well as the bloat that can cause belly bloat.Make a Blackberry, Mango, and Cilantro salsa.
- 12In a blender, mix together ½ cup of blackberries, a tablespoon of balsamic vinegar, a tablespoon of olive oil, a tablespoon of liquid honey, a tablespoon of dry mustard and salt and pepper. Blend together and pour into a decanter for serving over salads. Balsamic vinegar is a potent diuretic and antibacterial agent that helps prevent bloating by fighting inflammation in the gut.Make a classic Blackberry Balsamic salad dressing.
- 13Puree three cups of blackberries and add a handful of mint, two cups of yogurt, a ½ cup of red grape juice or blackberry juice and the flesh of two small lemons too and puree again. Pour into bowls and serve cold with a sprig of mint on top. The Greek yogurt in this soup adds probiotics that help you lose weight by maintaining the intestinal flora in the gut.Make chilled Blackberry and Yogurt soup.
- 14The natural pectin in the blackberries helps make this into a creamy pudding. This Eastern dessert is traditionally made with heavy cream but you can make it with coconut yogurt or plain Greek yogurt. Blend two cups of chopped blackberries with two tablespoons whole milk, a quarter of a cup of yogurt and 1 tablespoon of Truvia sweetener. Blend the mixture together until thick and then chill in the refrigerator for two hours until firm.Make a Blackberry and Mango Milk Pudding.
- 15Blend together 3 cups of blackberries, a cup and a half of vanilla almond milk, the juice and zest of one orange and two tablespoons of honey. Blend the mixture until smooth and then freeze in a popsicle mold that makes six to eight popsicle treats. The orange juice and the blackberries provide Vitamin C and the almond milk supplies these popsicles with a dose of vegan protein.Make Blackberry and Cream popsicles.
- 16Melt a bar of 70% cacao or more dark chocolate or bittersweet chocolate over a double boiler or by placing it in a microwave for a minute or two. Dip the blackberries in the chocolate and then place on wax paper on a cookie sheet. Place the blackberries that are done in the freezer for about thirty minutes until the chocolate is very hard and serve. This dessert works if you select very large blackberries. You can also make the blackberries easier to handle by spearing them with a cocktail sword or toothpick before dipping them in the chocolate.Make chocolate covered blackberry snacks.
- 17Blend together three cups of frozen blackberries, one cup of pomegranate juice, ¼ cup of lemon juice, one teaspoon grated lemon zest and 1/4 cup Truvia powdered sweetener to taste. Pour into a big jug of ice and top with sodawater, spring water or ginger ale. You can easily turn this into a cocktail punch by adding vodka or gin to the mix.[[Image:bla p_78364.jpg|center|frame|A blackberry and pomegranate punch.Make a chilled Blackberry and Pomegranate Punch.
- 18Drop seven blackberries in the bottom into the bottom of a champagne glass. Fill with sparkling champagne and drink while the champagne is still popping with bubbles.For a low-calorie alcoholic treat make a sparkling Blackberry Champagne Cocktail.
Tips and Tricks
- In some places, blackberries might be sold under the names of brambleberries, dewberries or thimbleberries
- When buying blackberries make sure they are free of mold, firm and that the berries inn the carton are not broken
- Fresh blackberries will keep in the refrigerator for about one week
- Eating blackberries is beneficial for those who suffer from Type 2 Diabetes and may help them reduce abdominal fat
- Eat a good healthy source of low-fat protein every day to help balance out a diet of eating mostly blackberries, which only have a bit of protein
- Eat healthy complex carbohydrates, vegetables, lettuces, nuts and seeds and avoid bread, potatoes, and pasta to enable your blackberry weight loss regimen to be effective
- Do not sprinkle artificial sweeteners or sugar over your blackberries and instead substitute Truvia or Stevia
- Consult with a doctor before embarking on a diet that limits your calories in any way
Categories : Weight Loss
Recent edits by: Eng, Donna