Lose Weight with Artichokes On The Three Day Artichoke Water Diet vs With the 21-Day Artichoke Juice Diet vs By Adding Artichokes to Your Daily Diet
Edited by Donna, Eng, XRT
Artichokes help you beat belly bloat, shed inches and lose weight because:
- Artichokes contain insulin, which helps carbohydrates metabolize at a slower rate, which in turn prevents weight gain due to insulin resistance and metabolic disorders such as Type II diabetes and Polycystic Ovarian Disease
- Artichokes are very rich in fiber, which helps stabilize blood glucose levels and control high levels of cholesterol deposits in the blood, thus addressing many metabolic and cardiovascular health issues that can cause weight gain
- Artichokes contain cynarine, an enzyme that stimulates bile, which in turn helps your body digest fats so they can be eliminated from your body, rather than packed on your physique as pounds
- They contain bitter compounds called sesquiterpene-lactones that heal the liver and lower the levels fat lipids in the blood, which in turn, facilitates weight loss and reduces bloating
- Artichokes are also natural diuretics that encourages your kidneys to eliminate water, thus reducing bloat from your belly and making you look slimmer
- Artichokes are also an ideal diet food, especially for those on a low-fat diet or low-carb diet because 100 grams of artichokes only have 22 calories and less than 1% of fat
- This vegetable has depurative qualities which means it helps to clean small stones and fats out o your gall bladder, liver and kidneys, thus assuring the more efficient operation of you your endocrine and digestive systems
- It contains enzymes that break down proteins and fats, so that it is easier for your body to convert carbohydrates into fuel, instead of store it in your cells
- The antioxidants in this vegetable encourage the removal of cholesterol from your arteries, which improves circulation and your body's ability to detoxify itself and lose weight
- Artichokes are very high in Vitamin C, which helps fight inflammation in every place the body and assists the endocrine system with efficient metabolism
- Artichokes are also high in Vitamin K, which is beneficial for the endocrine system and the nervous system and helps combat hypothyroidism
- Artichokes are also very rich in minerals, and especially high in magnesium and folate, two minerals helps regulate the thyroid and that are beneficial for soothing the joint and muscle pain that can prevent you from losing weight
- Artichokes are rich in copper, which assist with the proper functioning of the circulatory system and cell respiration, allowing your body to better dispose fats and toxins that might be interfering with your weight loss
How to Prepare Artichokes for Cooking
Artichokes are a unique vegetable with several components including a spiny stem, thick leaves that are only partially edible in the larger ones and a fuzzy choke inside that must be removed before eating. Note that in some supermarkets and natural foods store, whole frozen artichokes that have already been trimmed and had their fuzzy inner choke are sometimes available and that in that case, you can skip all of the steps below that are involved in preparing fresh artichokes for cooking.
- 1Do not be tempted to buy artichokes pickled or canned in brine or high sodium preservatives. These should only be used as a last resort for used in cooking because when served this way they are way too high in sodium to facilitate weight loss, and in fact may cause the very bloating, gas and weight gain that you were trying to avoid, if you constantly eat them in this form.Advertisement
- 2Buy fresh artichokes from the produce section of a grocery store or market. You should only choose artichokes that have a bright green color, tightly wrapped leaves, and a stem that is yellowish or green. It is a good if the artichoke has a bit of heft to it, because that means it is younger and that it has a good heart that is packed with edible leaves. The leaves should not have dark patches and the cut-end o the base should be never being brown. Be aware that the smaller artichokes are slightly easier to prepare than the larger ones, because it is less tough. The smaller raw artichokes are often called Baby Artichokes. Be aware that it is normal for artichokes to have a couple of brown or black spots on its body, but not to be completely speckled, as that can indicate it is rotting. Another sign of rot is if the artichoke is a yellow-greenish color.Advertisement
- 7I you are preparing a large artichoke, you might have to remove the heart of the artichoke, called the choke, from the center of the vegetable. This can also easily be done using a melon baller, by scooping the fuzzy center out from the middle of the artichoke or you can simply remove it with a knife.
- 8Cut the artichoke hearts out into their desired sizes and place them into the bowl of lemon water. This keeps them fresh while you are storing them or preparing them for a dish. However do not store the artichokes for more than two days in chilled water or they could lose their firmness and become too mushy to use.
Method 1: On The Three Day Artichoke Water Diet
This diet involves drinking nothing but seven cups of artichoke water every day and eating a very limited fat-free low calorie diet over a three-day period. You can lose up to ten pounds in three on this diet, which helps detoxify your liver, kidney and intestines and also gives your digestive and endocrine systems a bit of a rest from working hard to process your foods. For this diet to work, it is also crucial that you follow it to the letter and do not eat anything that is not described below.
- 1Check with a doctor before going on the Three Day Artichoke Water Diet. Subsisting on a low calorie diet is not recommended for pregnant or breastfeeding women or for people with eating disorders. You should also use caution on this diet if you are diabetic or need to take medication with food. Artichokes are not recommended for people who suffer from gallstones or kidney stones and who are taking medications for gall bladder conditions.
- 2Plan to rest and do not go to the gym while you are on this diet. It is below 1000 calories a day and you simply will not have the energy to work out, ride your bike or exert yourself in any way. An hour-long stroll in a peaceful setting or a leisurely twenty-minute swim is the most exercise that is recommended on this diet, or your metabolism could go into a stall and prevent you from shedding pounds.
- 4After bringing it to a boil, lower the heat and remove the artichokes. The resulting water will resemble a pale green tea that you can eat drink three times a day hot or cold. To vary the taste of the artichoke water you can add mint leaves or a squeeze of lemon to it. Note that I you add lemon juice to the water, the phenolic acid in the artichoke brew may turn it to a pale yellow.
- 6For breakfast, consume one cup of artichoke water, one cup of black tea or coffee, and one piece of toast with your favorite butter. You may add stevia or Truvia to your coffee as a sweetener but do not use any dairy or nut milk in your hot beverages. The toast with nut butter is minimal sources of carbohydrates that can help you hold of on hunger pangs until lunchtime. The nut butter that you use can be any type that you enjoy, such as peanut, cashew or almond, as long as it is organic, sugar-free and low in sodium. The toast should be made from whole grain bread to add some fiber to the equation.
- 8For lunch on Day 1 consume ½ cup of drained tuna, 1 piece of melba toast and black coffee or tea. Make sure that the tuna is packed in water and not oil, or you will not lose the expected amount of weight in a three-day period. Do not substitute canned salmon instead, as it is a fish that is too fatty to consume on this diet.
- 10For supper on Day 1 consume 3 ounces of lean meat, 1 cup of green beans or broccoli sprouts, 1 cup of sugar-free plain Greek yogurt and 1 cup of the artichoke water. It is fine for the yogurt to be flavored as long as it does not contain over 5 grams of sugar. Make sure that all of your vegetables are steamed rather than fried in butter in oil. Salt, pepper and lemon juice are allowed as seasonings on your dinner. The yogurt is allowed as it is a source of friendly gut bacteria that can help you eliminate toxins from your belly.
- 13For breakfast on Day 2 consume 1 cup of the artichoke water, 1 poached or boiled egg, 1 slice of dry toast, 1 small banana and 1 cup of black coffee tor tea. Boil or poach the egg, rather than frying it to avoid consuming the unnecessary fat. In this meal, the egg provides protein and the banana provides some fiber to help move waste through your digestive system.
- 15For lunch on Day 2 consume 1 cup of the artichoke water, 1 cup cottage cheese and six crackers. You can replace the six crackers with two pieces of Melba toast if you like and you can season the cottage cheese with salt and pepper. Cottage cheese is the low-fat source of protein that will help you get through to the next meal. If you are really hungry, you can add a whole sliced tomato, seasoned with salt and pepper to the meal.
- 17For supper on day 2 you can have 1 cup of the artichoke water, four ounces of broiled or baked chicken breast, 1 cup of steamed broccoli, one small banana and ½ cup of sugar-free Greek yogurt. You can substitute a cup of steamed cabbage or kale for the broccoli. Make sure that all of the vegetables you eat are boiled or steamed and not cooked with any kind of oil or fat. You can season the chicken breast, which should be without skin, with lemon juice, pepper and salt.
- 20For breakfast on Day 3, consume one cup of the artichoke water, one apple, 1 ounce of old cheddar cheese, five saltine crackers, black tea and coffee. You can have four Melba toasts instead of the saltine crackers if you like. The cheddar cheese and apple provide you with protein that keeps you steady and focused unit lunchtime. Old cheddar cheese contains high amounts of a substance called butyrate, which helps you stay in a good mood while you are in on a diet and also helps prevent cravings for a fattier, high-calorie meal.
- 22For lunch on Day 3 you can enjoy a cup of the artichoke brew, a cup of bone broth, six crackers or two melba toasts, 1 cup of melon or watermelon chunks and ½ cup of sugar-free plain yogurt. Make sure that all of the fat that is in the broth has been removed or you could gain weight. If you are not sure if the chicken bone broth is fat-free, chill it in the refrigerator. The fat will become a solid white mass that rises to the top of the liquid, and all you have to do to remove the fat from the broth is remove the solid.
- 26Once you are done this diet, you can go on it again in a month. The reason it is paced out is to avoid the possibility of developing gallstones.
Method 2: With the 21-Day Artichoke Juice Diet
This is a high protein, low carbohydrate diet that can have you losing up to twenty pounds in 21 days if you stick very closely to it. It is not suitable for people who have a fatty liver because it does entail eating some fatty foods, like bacon and hamburger. It is also not suitable for people who are lactose intolerant as it includes eating a small bit of dairy, which is a source of protein and butyrate, which encourages a good mood and also regulates the metabolism.
The idea behind this diet is that you start off every day with a glass of artichoke juice to help reset your liver, blood sugar and metabolism to a point that facilitates weight loss. As this is a ketosis diet it means that high protein is allowed, but no white carbs such as sugar pasta, rice, potatoes or bread. Healthy oils like olive, walnut and coconut are allowed but saturated fat is not. You are also advise to limit you sodium intake while on the diet and put down the saltshaker for the duration of it so that your liver can be sufficiently cleansed.
- 1Check with your doctor before embarking on any sort of limited-calorie, high protein diets that also limits the variety of foods that you eat. High protein diets are not suitable for people with fatty liver disease or who have kidney problems. If you are pregnant or breastfeeding, or if you have some kind of medical condition that checking with your doctor first, to make sure that this type of weight loss regimen is for you. Be awake that drinking artichoke juice first thing in the morning can interfere with some medications and cause issues for those who have gout or gallstones.Advertisement
- 2Every day clean and prepare 3 medium-sized artichokes and juice them whole in a food processor to make a thick vegan beverage. This should produce around a cup of raw artichoke juice, which should be enough for you to drink in one day. If you have any left over, then save it for the following day, but try and make the juice fresh every morning if you can because artichokes oxidize quickly. Artichokes vary in size, from the size of a large grapefruit to a tangerine, so your ritual for juicing them may vary depending on what is available. If the artichoke drink seems to thick, you can add a bit of pure Spring water or distilled water to it to make it easier to swallow. Note that this is a whole juice and not one from which the fiber has been removed, because it is the flesh of the artichoke that contains the blood-lowering and metabolism regulating constituent know as insulin.
- 4Every day for breakfast consume two poached or boiled eggs, a cup of steamed spinach, two slices of bacon plus 8 ounces of grapefruit juice or ½ of a grapefruit. The bacon and eggs supply you with protein and B vitamins ad as well as a high amount of protein, which will tide you over until your next meal. The grapefruit is high in chromium and Vitamin C, which supports the health of the endocrine system and the thyroid. The spinach is high in Vitamin A, antioxidants and iron, which support the functioning of the liver and the thyroid.
- 5Wait four hours and then for lunch consume a salad with oil and vinegar dressing, and four ounces of cottage cheese or tuna packed in water. It is best to eat very trim fat from any cuts of meat that you consume. The vinegar in the dressing helps you digest all of the protein that you will be consuming during the day so that you do not become constipated. The cottage cheese or the tuna supply you the protein and B vitamins that you need to get through the day. Choose healthy oil, such as walnut, grape seed or olive to make any dressings. This will add a dose of healthy fats that help support brain and cardiovascular health to the lunch meal.
- 6Wait four hours and then for dinner consume six to eight ounces of any low-fat meat that you prefer, roasted vegetables or a salad, coffee or tea and a glass of wine or red grape juice. Do not exceed drinking more than four ounces of red wine or it is possible that you might get light headed from eating so low calorie for so long and also because you are on a cleanse. Be sure to trim the fat from any animal meat and make sure that the cuts of meat that you choose are lean and preferably organic and grass-fed.
- 7Wait at least three hours and then for a snack you may have 8 ounces of skim milk. Do not have nut milk, such as almond or coconut, as it has too much fat in it and you will gain weight. Dairy milk adds calcium, magnesium and protein to the diet, which helps prevent the insomnia and leg cramps that can come with dieting and it also contains butyrate, which help keep you in a good mood while you are dieting.
- 9Wait two months before doing this diet again after the 21-day cycle is over. As it is a crash diet that involves eating well below what you need to have healthy skin, hair and organ function, you need to give your body at least thirty days to rejuvenate itself by eating the amount of calories a day that you would need to sustain your current new weight. If you begin to gain weight after finishing the diet, the reserve one day where you have nothing but the artichoke whole juice, all of the apples you want to eat and a broiled four to six ounce sirloin steak for dinner.
Method 3: By Adding Artichokes to Your Daily Diet
The suggestions below entail using fresh baby or regular artichokes rather than canned ones or ones that come in a jar, as the canned and bottles ones are too salty to consume on a diet. Sodium has the opposite effect when you are trying to reduce water retention and bloating.
The suggestions artichoke dishes are also below 300 calories a serving and friendly too most diets.
- 1Make a simple steamed artichokes dish. Trim the top leaves and discard the outer stems of the artichokes. Tuck slivers of butter and garlic slivers in the spaces between the artichoke leaves. Drizzle with the artichokes with lemon juice. Place steamer insert inside a pot of boiling water. Set the artichokes upright in the steamer and steam them for twenty minutes until tender. Larger artichokes may need to be steamed up to ten minutes longer than that.
Tips and Tricks
- Be sure to drink a lot of water while eating artichokes as they are very fibrous and need water to help sweep mucus and debris out of her intestines
- Raw artichokes can be boiled, deep-fried, sautéed in oil, roasted or barbecued, but they become mushy if boiled
- If you are allergic to ragweed, chrysanthemums, marigolds or daisies it is possible that you might be allergic to artichokes and should avoid it as a food
- Be aware that if you are on any diet that is less than 1000 calories a day that you will always run the risk of gaining the weight back if you are not careful to follow a healthy lifestyle
- Herbes de Provence, which goes well as a seasoning for artichokes, can be found in some grocery stores and in specialty spice stores.
There is no user reviews.