Lose Weight with Acai Berries On The Acai Berry 3-Day Juice Cleanse vs On The Acai Breakfast Bowl Diet vs By Drinking Acai Smoothies ... and 1 more
Edited by Donna, Eng
Weight Loss and Other Benefits of Eating Acai
Acai berries are often referred to as a weight-loss superfood because they seem to contain nutritional constituents (many still unidentified) that seem to quicken the metabolism, melt fat away and repair the cardiovascular system. Each fruit resembles a small black grape that turns almost black when it is ripe and ready to eat. Acai is the fruit of the Acai palm tree grown in Brazil, Trinidad and South America.
The fruit is very soft delicate and does not transport well, so, unless you live in these tropical you may only find it sold as whole frozen berries, pulp in a jar or as frozen pulp. You can also buy Acai extract, which often has added sugar and does not have the same potency as the frozen pulp or frozen whole raw fruit.
Eating acai berries enables weight loss because:
- A cup of acai berries is only 40 calories, making them a nutrient dense, low-calorie, vitamin rich super food that can be used to replace a full meal
- Acai berries are a generous source of B-complex vitamins and vitamin K, both of which help the body metabolize carbohydrates, proteins and fats so that they can be converted into fuel that your body can use
- Acai berries contain the enzyme superoxide dismutase, which regulates fluid balance in the body and reduces edema and bloat
- Acai berries are rich in antioxidants that fight aging and inflammation, thus helping you to exercise more efficiently and experience a general feeling of wellness
- They contain high levels of essential fatty acids and omega-3 acids that assist with overall brain function and operating of the endocrine system, thus enabling weight loss and that also help you feel less muscle and joint pain while you exercise
- They prevent blood clots and improve your overall blood circulation, thus helping your metabolism work more efficiently, so that you also lose weight easily
- They encourage your body to dissolve fatty deposits and eliminate them as well as repair vessels and tissues damaged from diabetes and high cholesterol levels
- Acai berries help tighten and tone the skin, thus smoothing out bumpy patches of cellulite and assisting skin with tightening up after extreme weight loss
- Acai berries are an excellent source of dietary fiber that helps clean out the colon and create a biome that encourages good bacteria to grow in your gut
- They prevent respiratory distress from interfering with your ability to exercise by helping to open and clear your lungs
- Acai berries contain high levels of Vitamin C and elegiac acid, which, working together help optimize your immune system, your endocrine system and cardiovascular systems, making it easier for you to lose weight
- They contain the minerals magnesium, zinc and selenium in acai berries, which encourages the healthy maintenance of the thyroid gland, liver and thymus, which in turn prevents weight gain
- They contain theobromine, the same mood enhancer that is in chocolate, which helps improve your mind-set and feel more positive about losing weight
- Acai berries contain more usable calcium and chromium than milk, which makes them especially good for diabetics who are trying to regulate their blood sugar to lose weight
Method 1: On The Acai Berry 3-Day Juice Cleanse
This weight-loss juice requires that you only consume acai berry juice, green tea, black tea and water for three days. You can expect to lose up to ten pounds on this fast, which is based on extreme caloric deprivation. The detoxification qualities of acai juice can also help you shed water and fecal debris that is impacted in the colon.
- 1Check with your doctor to make sure that you are healthy enough to embark on a three day fast without harming yourself. People with certain conditions such as diabetes or glandular diseases may not be suited to this diet, because you could experience blood sugar swings while you are on it. People who need to take medication with meals should avoid going on a fast like this as should people who have chronic illnesses. Fasting is also not a good idea for pregnant women or individuals who have psychological disorders such as bulimia or anorexia. People who are on blood thinners, should also avoid taking acai berry, as it reduces blood viscosity.Advertisement
- 2Buy a high quality organic acai juice from the health food store. Avoid acai products with added sugar, water or that are made from acai extract, as the juice will not trigger the same type of rapid weight-loss. You should also read the label to make sure that the acai juice is not diluted in sugary fruit juices such as grape, lemon or apple. Also, diluted products tend to leave you feeling hungry, but the organic juice can cut hunger because it has a full amino acid profile. This means that fresh acai berry juice contains enough protein to cut your hunger pangs so that you can get through the duration of the fast.Advertisement
- 3Clear your agenda of any important obligations for the three days that will make up the fasting period. You may suffer side effects such as bloating, gas, headaches, bad breath, sweating and foggy thinking. This is also not a period during which you will be doing much exercise, except for maybe a short stroll around the block as you will not be ingesting the calories that you need to fuel hard workouts or even a short mile long job. Over-exerting yourself could cause rehabilitating fatigue, cramps, joint pain, dizziness or heart problems.
- 4For breakfast every day, drink an eight ounce glass of raw organic acai juice, a big glass of water and a cup of hot green or black tea. Sugar, cream, honey or other condiments are not allowed with the tea, but you may have as many refills if you like.
- 5For a snack, drink an eight-ounce of acai juice. To make it more interesting you can serve it over ice or diluted with another glass of water. You can also add a squeeze of lemon or lime to the juice to give it a slightly different flavor, as if you were drinking acai lemonade.
- 6For lunch, drink another eight-ounce glass of acai juice with another eight ounce glass of water. To change the flavor slightly again, try sprinkling a ¼ tablespoon of cinnamon into the juice. This will make it sweeter with a spicy nip and accentuate the tasty chocolate undertones in acai juice.
- 7Before lunch make sure you are drinking at least eight ounces of water. This will help your body with the detoxification process that is triggered by the acai and help wastes move more quickly through your kidneys, liver and digestive system.
- 8For a mid-afternoon snack, drink an eight-ounce glass of acai juice with a pinch of fine white iodized table salt. This pinch of salt will help feed your thyroid and make sure that you stay hydrated. The salt also gives the drink a bit of a different flavor, which helps you bear the tedium of drinking nothing but acai juice all day.
- 9For supper drink a glass of acai juice with a cup of hot tea an eight ounce glass of water. You could try adding a splash of orange juice to the acai to give it a different flavor, or you could drink the acai juice mixed together with the tea on ice. Do not use more than a tablespoon of fruit juice or you risk triggering cravings for additional calories.
- 10For an evening snack, drink eight ounces of acai juice with a garnish of mint. If you like, you can blend the mint leaf into the acai juice with some ice it into a frosty smoothie.
- 11Make sure that you drink at least eight ounces of water before you got to bed, plus a relaxing herbal hot tea such as chamomile, lavender or mint. This will help you deal with any headaches, restlessness or irritability that you might be experiencing as a result of being on this fast.
- 12It is crucial that you get enough rest while you are on a fast, so make sure you get at least eight hours of sleep during the night and take two short naps during the day. This will give your body the break it needs to focus on cleansing and elimination.
- 13Repeat all of the steps for meals and snacks above for two days. Make sure that you are eliminating regularly to dispose of toxins and that you take a walk around the block to get your bowels working.
- 14End the fast on the fourth morning by gently easing yourself out of it, by eating apples soup, bananas, steamed vegetables, bone broth, puddings, yogurt and smoothies and then resume your regular diet on the following day.
- 15You could do this fast once a month with no harmful physical side effects. However, to keep the weight off for good, it is important that you eat a low-fat healthy diet and lead a lifestyle that supports weight loss.
Method 2: On The Acai Breakfast Bowl Diet
You can lose five to ten pounds in ten days if you follow this well-known Acai Breakfast Bowl Diet. This is a substitution diet that entails eating thawed acai puree for breakfast every day instead of your normal breakfast. For most people this eliminates 300 to 1200 calories a day from what they were usually eat to start the day. For instance, a breakfast made of bacon, eggs and toast is often between 750 and 1200 calories and even a bowl of oatmeal with fruit and milk can be as high as 500 calories. Many smoothies can also add to be between 400 and 1200 calories, especially if they contain nut milks, dairy products or sugary fruits. Most acai bowls only have between 200 and 300 calories and contain a lot less fat, starch and sugar, thus preventing weight gain.
Acai bowls often contain many ingredients to help disguise the slightly chalky, bland taste of the fruit, which quite a few people find a bit unpleasant. The fruit, which is rarely sold fresh, tastes like a blend of sour berries and chocolate.
- 1On the first day of the diet, eat a Tropical Fruit Acai Breakfast Bowl. Top up 1 cup of acai berries with ½ cup of sliced pineapple, a small sliced banana, a sprinkling of organic coconut flakes and a splash of coconut milk for a nutritious meal. The pineapple contains bromelain, which assists with digestion and detoxification of the colon, the banana contains potassium, to help reduce bloating and constipation and the coconut is a hydrating source of fatty acids that works in tandem with the acai berry pulp to speed up weight loss.Advertisement
- 2On the second day of the diet, eat a Blueberry, Banana and Spinach Acai breakfast bowl for breakfast. Blend one cup of acai berries with a handful of spinach and spoon it into a bowl. Top it with a handful of blueberries, sliced banana, chia seeds and a drizzle of cashew milk. Both spinach and blueberries contain vitamins and minerals that support weight loss and the cashew milk and bananas help offset the slightly sour taste of the acai berries with a bit of sweetness.
- 3On the third day of the diet, eat a Banana, Almond and Strawberry Acai bowl. Mix a cup of acai berries, a whole banana and ½ a cup of almond milk together in a blender to make a rich pudding. Pour the creamy mixture into a bowl and top with sliced strawberries and almonds to make a sweet treat. The almonds provide additional protein and the strawberries are a great source of fiber, which also helps you lose weight.
- 4On the fourth day of the diet, eat a Mixed Berries With Acai Berry breakfast bowl. Top up the puree with a combination of a cup of raspberries, blueberries, blackberries or strawberries and unsalted sesame seeds. For extra crunch, add tablespoon full of bee pollen. The bee pollen adds vitamins and a bit of a sweet , crisp texture to the bowl and the chewy seeds and coconut add essential fatty acids and protein.
- 5On the fifth day of the diet, eat a Kiwi, Strawberry and Banana breakfast Acai Bowl. Top acai puree with thinly sliced banana, strawberries and kiwi and then sprinkle it with a teaspoon of soaked black chia seeds to add a bit of protein to the mix. Strawberry and kiwi are fellow super fruits, that like acai, have a high fiber, vitamin C and antioxidant contents.
- 6On the sixth day, eat a Dragon Fruit, Banana and Granola Acai breakfast bowl. On top of thawed berries or puree sprinkle chopped Dragon Fruit and sliced banana and about a tablespoon of granola. You do not want to add too much granola to the mix or you will add excess carbohydrates and calories to your breakfast. You can add a splash of coconut milk the mixture seems too dry.
- 7On the seventh day eat a, Pecan and Fig Acai bowl for breakfast. Chop up a fig into tiny pieces and sprinkle on top of acai puree. Add sliced bananas and raw organic coconut shavings. Add a tablespoon of crushed pecans for added protein. The fig helps clean out the colon, so that you can lose weight and the pecans are a good source of protein that completes the amino acid profile in the puree.
- 8On the eighth day eat a Cacao and Cherry Acai bowl for breakfast. Chocolate flavors go well with acai, which has a bit of a bitter chocolate back taste to start with. Combine a tablespoon of cacao nibs, a tablespoon of raw cacao powder and whirl together in a blender to make a pudding. Pour into a bowl and top with a sprinkling of oatmeal and raw pitted sweet or sour cherries. A splash of vanilla flavored coconut milk can help sweeten the mixture a bit, without adding sugar. The raw cacao helps improve your mood and cherries are a natural diuretic and source of fiber that also helps nourish the blood.
- 9On the ninth day, eat a Watermelon and Pumpkin Seed Acai bowl Blend a cup of chopped watermelon with a cup of raw acai and blend well. Pour into a bowl and top with pumpkin seeds and chopped almonds to add protein to the meal. Garnish with fresh raspberries or watermelon chunks if you like. Pumpkin seed is a potent fighter of all inflammation in the body, that helps damaged tissues repair themselves quickly.
- 10On the tenth day, eat a Papaya and Orange Acai bowl. Mix orange chunks with one cup of acai pulp in a blender until smooth. Pour into a bowl and top with papaya slices. Sprinkle with coconut shavings to add protein. This fruit bowl is very high in Vitamin C and healing antioxidants. If you want the mixture to taste a bit less sharp, sprinkle a bit of granola on top of the mixture to add a bit of texture.
- 11Repeat the cycle of eating the Acai berry bowls for ten days for breakfast until you have lost the desired amount of weight. There are generally no harmful effects associated with eating an acai bowl for weight loss for breakfast every day.
Method 3: By Drinking Acai Smoothies
You can stay on this calorie-restricted diet without risking nutritional deficiencies for about twenty days and in that twenty days you can expect to lose twenty to thirty pounds. The goal is to prevent your self from eating between 500 and 800 calories a day by replacing two meals a day with an acai smoothie. Most of the acai smoothies recommended in this regimen are less than 300 calories.
- 1Buy frozen acai berries or frozen acai puree at your health food store. Make sure that any frozen products that you buy are not sweetened with sugar or that they are not mixed with other fruits and their juices.
20 Acai Smoothies That Are Less Than 300 Calories
All of the on this list for Acai Smoothies are low-fat, raw and contain less than 300 calories and are recommended as meal or snack. In fact, many of them are 200 calories or less, thus encouraging even faster weight loss. Any of these can be substituted for two of the meals described in the Drinking Acai Smoothies to Lose Weight Guidelines above and you have twenty different selections so you never get bored with eating acai daily.
These Acai Smoothie recipe suggestions appear from lowest in calories to more calories. Of course, the lower in calories the smoothie you choose to make as a meal replacement, the more weight you will lose. You could follow this suggested pattern of replacing the smoothies, as you would follow steps, mix them up randomly or simply make your favorites every day.
- 1Make a Peach, Avocado and Acai smoothie at 100 calories per serving. Blend together ½ cup of frozen acai, 1 cup of frozen or freshly chopped peaches, the peeled and pitted flesh of one small avocado and three drops of liquid stevia. Peaches are a good source of Vitamin A and help mellow out the flavor of the acai. The avocado in adds a creamy texture, healing Vitamin E and essential fatty acids to the mix. All of the ingredients in this extremely low-calorie smoothie help reduce inflammation in the endocrine system, thus preventing a tendency to pack on the pounds.
- 2Make a Spinach, Strawberry and Acai smoothie at 124 calories per serving. Pack a cup of spinach in a blender with one cup of ice and ½ cup of low fat Greek vanilla yogurt and blend well. Add 1 cup of sliced strawberries, ½ cup of acai puree and a dash of pure Maple syrup or liquid stevia to sweeten the smoothie slightly. Blend all of the ingredients together until smooth and serve. All of the ingredients in this smoothie help relieve fatigue and boost your energy so that you can get through your day while minimizing calories.
- 3Make a Banana, Berry and Coconut Acai smoothie that is only 127 calories per serving. Combine 1/2 frozen berries of any kind (raspberries, blueberries, strawberries), half a banana, ¼ cup of frozen acai pulp, ½ cup of coconut water, ½ cup of ice and two drops of liquid Stevia in a blender. Blend everything together until frosty and smooth and drink. This drink helps balance your blood sugar and energy levels and provides additional fiber to help the acai detoxify your digestive system.
- 4Make a Cranberry, Orange and Acai smoothie that only has 135 calories per serving. In a blender, mix together 1/2 cup of raw frozen cranberries with ½ cup of orange pulp and ½ cup of frozen acai pulp. Blend until smooth and add 1 cups of unsweetened coconut water and a teaspoon of liquid Stevia. Blend until creamy and smooth and serve. Cranberries serve up a generous dose of fibre and are an excellent source of Vitamin C. The flavor of cranberry nicely offsets the chalky, sour flavor of the acai berry,
- 5Make a Peach, Carrot and Acai Smoothie at 143 calories per serving. Combine ¼ cup of grated carrot with one cup of frozen peaches and ½ cup of frozen acai pulp. Add 1 tablespoon of almond milk and 1 tablespoon of liquid stevia and a cup of ice and blend the ingredients until the mixture frosty and smooth. This smoothie helps the acai fruit detoxify your entire system, because the ample amounts of Vitamin A in it help to support liver function.
- 6Make a Chocolate, Acai and Avocado smoothie at 144 calories per serving. Combine 2 tablespoons mashed avocado, 2 tablespoons raw unsweetened cacao powder, 2 large Medjool dates (pitted), a dash of ground cinnamon, 1/8 of a teaspoon cayenne powder, 1 cup of coconut water and ½ cup of ice. Blend everything together in a blender until frosty and smooth and drink. Raw cacao can help lift the low energy and slightly depressed mood that sometimes comes from being on a limited calorie diet. The dates and cinnamon help the digestive system eliminate toxins rapidly to facilitate fast weight loss.
- 7Make a Beet, Strawberry and Acai smoothie that only has 147 calories per serving. In a blender mix together two cooked and peeled beets, 2 cups of unsweetened coconut water, 1 cup of frozen strawberries, 1 cup of frozen acai puree and a dash of lime juice. Blend until creamy and smooth and serve. Beets help detoxify the liver, to ease the disposal of toxins in your body. Beets also contain nitrous oxide, which helps feed muscles and prevent carbohydrates from turning into fat.
- 8Make a Pineapple, Strawberry and Acai smoothie with 159 calories per serving. Blend together 1 cup of chopped pineapple, sliced strawberries and ½ cup of acai puree in a blender. Add 1 teaspoon of liquid Xylitol or stevia and blend until frosty and smooth and serve. This smoothie is particularly rich in iron, which helps beat the hair loss and fatigue that can sometimes come with eating a very low calorie diet. The high Vitamin C levels in this smoothie help you beat inflammation and help super-charge your energy levels.
- 9Make a Cacao, Banana and Acai smoothie at 162 calories per serving. In a blender, combine 1 banana, ½ cup of acai puree, 1 tablespoon unsweetened almond butter, 1 tablespoon rolled oats, 1 tablespoon chia seeds, 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon, 1 large Medjool date, ¾ cup of strong cooled black tea, a pinch of sea salt and a cup of ice. Blend all of the ingredients together until frosty and drink.
- 10Make a Watermelon, Acai and Yogurt Smoothie at 169 calories per serving. In a blender, mix together a cup of chopped watermelon, a cup of vanilla flavored almond milk, a ½ cup of acai puree and blend until smooth. The watermelon is mineral-rich and hydrating and the yogurt provides you with protein. Note that if you are trying to stay away from dairy products you can also make this drink with coconut yogurt or soy yogurt. However, avoid using soy products in this drink if you know that it triggers inflammation or allergic reactions for you.
- 11Make a Cucumber, Cashew and Acai smoothie at 173 calories per serving. In a blender, combine a cup of acai puree, a cup of chopped cucumber (with skin on), a cup of cashews, 1 cup of baby spinach, 1 cup of coconut water, 1 cup of ice cubes, a dash of lemon juice and a teaspoon of liquid Stevia. Blend all of the ingredients together to make a refreshing, frosty amber colored drink. The cayenne pepper is helps jump-start your metabolism and the cucumber and coconut water keep your body well hydrated throughout the day.
- 12Make an Almond, Orange and Acai smoothie at 188 calories a serving. Combine ½ cup of vanilla flavored almond milk with one cup of fresh orange juice, 1/2 cup of acai pulp and blend until frosty. Sprinkle with a bit of cinnamon and a drop or two real vanilla flavoring and serve. Almonds provide essential fatty acids that help improve heart health and the oranges are a great source of extra Vitamin C that also help sweeten the acai mixture.
- 13Make a Grapefruit, Acai and Green Tea smoothie at 178 calories per serving. Puree 1 cup of seeded grapefruit, a cup of acai berries, a cup of strong green tea, a cup of ice, a teaspoon of liquid stevia, crumbled mint leaves and a teaspoon of grated ginger in a blender. Mix until smooth and frosty and then serve. This smoothie is rich in anti-inflammatory and immune boosting nutrients that keep your body in good health while you lose weight.
- 14Make a Pomegranate, Acai and Black Teas smoothie at 182 calories per serving. Blend together 1 cup fresh unsweetened pomegranate juice, /2 cup of pureed acai, a cup of strong black tea, a teaspoon of liquid stevia and a teaspoon of grated lemon pee. Mix until smooth and frosty in texture and serve. This drink is a natural diuretic that is nourishing to the kidneys and that can also help reduce weight gain due to water retention.
- 15Make a Strawberry, Chamomile and Acai smoothie that is 189 calories per serving. Blend 1 cup frozen strawberries with ½ cup acai pulp, 1 cup chilled chamomile tea, 1 tablespoon lemon juice, 2 tablespoons of chia seeds and two drops of liquid Stevia. Blend everything together and pour into a tall glass and serve. If the reduced calorie diet is making you feel a bit jittery or nervous, then the chamomile in this particular smoothie can help you feel a bit more relaxed.
- 16Make a Pear, Acai and Ginger smoothie that is 198 calories per serving. Combine 1 chopped, pitted pear, 1 mashed frozen banana, 1 cup of vanilla almond milk, a cup of ice and 1 tablespoon grated ginger root in a blender. Mix until smooth and serve with a sprinkle of cinnamon on top. The pear makes this smoothie very high in fiber, which assists with the liver and digestive system and the ginger root helps boost your circulation so that whole body detoxification is more efficient.
- 17Make a Maple, Sweet Potato and Acai Smoothie that is 218 calories per serving. Combine 1/3 cup of sweet potato puree, 1/3 cup of acai pulp, 1 large pitted Medjool date, 1 tablespoon of cashews, 1 tablespoon of chia seed, a sprinkle of ground cinnamon, a dash of ground nutmeg, 1 cup ice and a teaspoon of maple syrup. Blend until smooth and drink. The sweet potato can help gratify a craving for a creamy, sweet drink, but it is recommended that you only have this acai smoothie every couple of days, as the sweet potato has a bit more starch in it than the other smoothies. The cashews and chia seed also help add some creaminess, body and protein to the mix.
- 18Make a Cherry, Cashew and Spinach Acai smoothie that is 252 calories per serving. Combine half a cup of frozen acai, ½ cup frozen cherries, 1 banana,½ cup of cashews, 1 cup of baby spinach or arugula, 1 tablespoon of real vanilla extract, ¾ cup of spring water in a blender. Blend together until creamy and frosty and drink. This frozen drink is very high in Vitamin C, Iron and protein and can help prevent the dry skin and hair loss that can sometimes accompany a low calorie diet.
- 19Make a Lemon, Date and Acai smoothie that is 260 calories per serving. Combine 1 frozen banana, 2 tablespoon of grated raw unsweetened coconut, 1 pitted Medjool date, 1 tablespoon lemon juice, 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest, 1 cup almond milk and 1 cup ice. Blend together until smooth and creamy and drink. The dates and lemon in this tasty recipe help cleanse and tone up the digestive system.
- 20Make a Banana, Walnut and Acai smoothie that is 267 calories per serving. Note that this particular smoothie is not recommended for people who have a nut allergy. The high protein and potassium content offered by all of the ingredients in this smoothie can help give you the energy to engage in exercise or relieve the mild dehydration that comes with being on a low-calorie weight loss diet
Method 4: As A Diet Food That Promotes Weight Loss
Here are additional ways to include frozen acai berries or frozen acai puree in your diet so that you can lose weight by either using the food snack replacement or by using them as a substitute for a food that would have had a higher caloric content. You can also incorporate acai into your daily eating regimen to assist with weight loss and the maintenance of your general health.
- 1Replace a full meal or snack by eating one cup of acai berries or frozen acai berry pulp with a splash of coconut milk or any nut milk. You can also top the frozen acai puree with a quarter cup of low-fat cottage cheese, a quarter cup of sour cream or a quarter cup of Greek yogurt to mellow out the taste of the acai and also raise its protein content. Eaten as a meal or snack, this dish is usually less than 100 calories, depending on how much milk you add.
- 2Replace a full meal or a snack with a frozen acai fruit slushy. Simply whirl the frozen puree or berries in a blender with a ½ cup of any type of juice and a handful of ice cubes. You can also add stevia to sweeten the taste if desired. Juices that go well with acai include grapefruit, orange, lemon, lime, raspberry, blueberry, cranberry and pear. You can also enhance the flavor any of the following: mint, cinnamon, cocoa, a pinch of salt, a dash of kombucha and vanilla. This raw drink is very rich in vitamin C. Only use raw, fresh juices that do not have any added sugar.
- 3Drink acai flavored water. Drop a few tablespoons of frozen acai puree into a glass of spring, distilled or sparkling water and stir. Garnish with mint or a slice of citrus fruit to add more flavor.
- 4Drink iced tea made with frozen acai puree as often as you like to create a powerful diuretic potion that helps reduce bloating and constipation. Acai puree goes best with black tea, orange pekoe, ginger tea, mint tea, cardamom tea, rooibos tea, chamomile tea, lavender tea and green tea. Simply brew four cups your favorite type of tea and add it to a pitcher full of ice cubes. Add 1 cup of pureed acai and freshly squeezed lemon, lime or orange slices to the mix and stir well. You can also sweeten this tea with a bit of liquid or powdered Stevia if you like.
- 5Make a tasty Peppercorn Acai salad dressing to pour over green salads. Mix together ¼ cup of thawed acai puree with ½ tablespoon of Dijon mustard, 1 tablespoon of vinegar, 1 tablespoon of virgin olive oil, a grated garlic clove, a dash of salt and a tablespoon of crushed black whole peppercorns. Shake well and pour over your salad to enjoy an innovative way to enjoy acai fruit puree. This dressing suits most salads but it goes particularly well on a mixture of cottage cheese, mango and avocado.
- 6Make a Blackberry and Acai salsa to eat with tortilla chips or savory pancakes. Mix together ½ cup of blackberries, ½ cup chopped mango, 1 whole chopped jalapeno pepper, 1 whole chopped habanero pepper and 1 chopped green onion in a small bowl. Combine with a dressing made from 1 teaspoon of olive oil, ¼ cup acai, and a pinch of cayenne pepper. All of the ingredients in this salsa are helpful for speeding up the metabolism and encouraging weight loss.
- 7Make a healthy Acai gelatin desert with berries and bananas. Add one packet of Knox gelatin to a half cup of hot water and heat until the gelatin is dissolved. Blend the gelatin with ½ cup frozen acai berries or puree and stir. Drop in berries of your choice such as raspberries, blueberries or strawberries and sliced bananas and chill until firm enough to serve. You can also use black or green grapes or orange segments in this particular gelatin recipe. Gelatin is good for connective tissues and bones and the berries in this recipe are very high in Vitamin C.
- 8Make Chocolate Acai Mousse for a healthy dessert. Combine the flesh of one large ripe avocado, 2 Medjool dates, a heaping teaspoon of raw cacao powder, 1/4 cup of acai pulp, ¼ cup of almond milk or coconut milk, and a dash of sea salt in a blender. Blend until the mixture has the consistency of a mousse and chili in the refrigerator for two hours. Top with coconut whipped cream for a low-fat treat. This dessert is rich in essential fatty acids and the cacao and avocado act as mood enhancers for those who feel low when they are dieting.
- 9Make chocolate acai popsicles to snack on as a sweet treat. Blend together one cup of frozen acai puree (any kind) with one cup of vanilla almond milk, two tablespoons of Stevia or Truvia, and a tablespoon of organic cacao powder. Freeze the mixture in a popsicle mold that can make six to eight frozen popsicles.
- 10Make a creamy acai sorbet to eat as a replacement for a snack or a dessert. Mix together ½ cup of pure spring water, a ½ a cup of Truvia, Zing or Stevia In the Raw, a tablespoon of organic vanilla, two tablespoons of honey and 2 tablespoons of fresh lemon juice in a saucepan. Simmer until the Stevia is dissolved. Add the frozen acai puree and simmer it for another ten minutes and then let the mixture cool. Mix everything together with hand blender and then pour it into a container and freeze it for at least two hours. When you are ready to serve it scooping it out and serve it in glasses or dessert bowls.
- 11For a low-fat alcoholic treat, make a California Acai Martini. Add two tablespoons of frozen acai puree with 1 ounce of vodka, 1 ounce of gin, 1 teaspoon of lime juice and four drops of liquid stevia to a cocktail shaker. Shake vigorously and serve with lime twist garnish.
Tips and Tricks
- Make sure that you are buying unsweetened acai or you could be accidentally adding calories to your smoothies
- Thaw frozen acai pulp the night before in the refrigerator, so that it is ready to use in a breakfast bowl in the morning
- Acai fruit is usually found in health food or whole food stores and it is almost always sold frozen
- Avoid buying acai fruit or juice that is sweetened with sugar, as that adds calories and carbs to your meal
- When you are on a calorie restricted or detoxification diet, it is really helpful to scrub your body down with a loofah or rough washcloth, to help your body eliminate toxins it is acquiring through the skin
- Freezing bananas before you throw them in the blender can help make your smoothie taste a bit sweeter
- Buy organic acai whenever possible to reduce your exposure to pesticides and fruit contaminated with either natural or man-made fertilizers
- Big batches of acai smoothies can be made ahead of time and frozen, and then remade into frosty drinks