Lose Weight by Eating Watermelon On the Watermelon Weight Loss Diet vs As A Superfood That Promotes Weight Loss vs 5 Day Cleansing Watermelon Diet
Edited by Donna, Eng, Rae
Weight Loss and Other Benefits of Eating Watermelon
Watermelons enable weight loss because:
- There are only 12 grams of carbohydrates per half of a cup, or roughly a slice of watermelon, which makes it an ideal fruit for individuals following a low carb diet to eat
- Watermelons do not contain fat, which helps you lose weight
- They are very high in potassium, which helps you flush out sodium and toxin from your blood, liver and kidneys, which in turn makes your entire metabolism more efficient
- The low sodium content in watermelon also helps prevent water retention and bloating, especially in individuals with metabolic disorders
- Watermelons contain and antioxidant called citrulline, which helps stop the excess accumulation of fat in fat cells
- Watermelons provide a high quantity of nutrition for a smaller amount of eating and contain one fifth of you daily requirement for both Vitamin C and Vitamin A
- The raw fruit has a diuretic effect that detoxifies the liver and kidneys and reduces bloating, especially in those who gain weight due to hormonal imbalances
- It is a very filling, but low calorie food with a sweet taste that can help cut cravings for high fat sweets
- It is a good source of easily digested plant fiber that helps clear waste and toxins from the digestive system, thus aiding elimination and in turn aiding weight loss
- The flesh of the watermelon is a natural carbohydrate blocker that slows down the way carbohydrates and sugars are metabolized delivered to the bloodstream and pancreas, which stops blood sugar spikes and also helps insulin-resistant individuals lose weight
- Watermelons contain lycopene, which helps prevent inflammation, metabolic disorders and improve insulin resistance
- Watermelons contain NOC (nitric oxide), which helps relax muscles and makes them more efficient when you exercise, which is good for people who are often too tired to exercise
Method 1: On the Watermelon Weight Loss Diet
You can lose one to four pounds a week if you follow this watermelon diet. You can stay on this calorie-restricted diet without risking nutritional deficiencies for three months. The goal is to prevent your self from eating between 500 and 800 calories a day by replacing meals, junk food and fatty foods with watermelon instead.
- 1The idea is that you will be eating at least a half of a watermelon a day for breakfast and also making fresh juice with the flesh in your blender. You will be using watermelon as a meal substitute for one week so it is suggested that you buy a week's worth of melons so you are never caught without them and don't have excuses for not following the diet. You can buy watermelon with red, pink or yellow flesh and still receive the same weight loss benefits. It is easiest to buy seedless watermelon, but if this is not available to you then, then it is fine to use seeded watermelon.Buy four whole large watermelons, preferably organic at your local market.Advertisement
- 2The grains take care of your needs for protein and additional fiber to your diet during the day.For breakfast every day consume at least a cup of watermelon, which equates to being at least two large watermelon slices along with either one slice of whole grain bread, a cup of oatmeal or a ½ cup of soaked chia seeds.Advertisement
- 3You can also eat chopped watermelon as a side dish. Make sure that the salad contains at least one type of leafy green, such as red lettuce, arugula or watercress. It should be dressed a healthy oil rich in essential fatty acids such as walnut or olive oil mixed with a vinegar such apple cider or rice vinegar. The salad should contain at least one low fat protein such as cottage cheese, feta cheese, quinoa, soaked chia seeds, almonds, walnuts, shrimp, beef or chicken. You can also add other vegetables and fruits to this low fat salad (which should be in the 300-400 range of calories per serving) such as blueberries, red onions, black olives, soaked sun dried tomatoes, cucumbers and tomatoes.For lunch every day, eat a salad that contains a cup of chopped watermelon or that contains a six ounce glass of fresh watermelon juice.
- 4Recommended vegetables include zucchini, squash, cauliflower, cabbage, tomato, kale, broccoli, broccoli and asparagus. You can add watermelon to the salad, or use watermelon puree or watermelon dressing or drink another six-ounce glass of watermelon juice after dinner. Note that if the watermelon juice is causing cramping, this is the meal to skip eating watermelon if you wish to do so to relieve gas or bloating.For dinner eat four ounces of a recommended protein with two low-starch roasted or raw low carb vegetables.
- 5You can eat this watermelon as a slice, chunks, slushed with ice. If you are a. vegetarian you can have mushroom or vegetable broth, instead of bone broth, but bone broth has the minerals, B vitamins and full amino acid profile needed to balance this diet out nutritionally, especially if you are planning to be on the watermelon diet it for a couple of months.For a snack or extra meal have cut vegetables (crudités), a cup of bone broth or the equivalent of a half a cup of watermelon.
- 6This is called staying away from all foods that are white. That is because white foods tend to be in the category of everything that is bad for you . This includes potatoes, sugar, flour, starch, pasta, dairy, refined breads and all junk foods.Stay away from eating any food that starchy, sugary or a refined carbohydrate to help stop cravings for foods that might cause you to gain weight.
- 7Watermelon is powerful detoxifier and adequate water intake will help you get rid of any toxins in your liver, kidneys or intestines that might be sabotaging your weight loss. Distilled water is recommended over Spring water or tap water in order for this diet to be effective.Make sure you drink at least eight eight-ounce glasses of spring or distilled water a day.
- 8A one-hour walk, bike ride or every day can help you relax and shed the weight. Adding circuit training, rebounding, free weights or any other type of anaerobic exercise will also help you get the weight off.Exercise for at least one hour every day, while you are replacing meals with the watermelon.
- 9Bodies that are stressed out from a lack of sleep tend to pack on the pounds.Make sure that you get at least eight hours of rest every night so that your body can repair itself.
Method 2: As A Superfood That Promotes Weight Loss
Here are additional ways to include this super fruit in your diet so that you can lose weight by either consuming the watermelon as a meal, dessert or snack replacement or by using it as a substitute for a food with a higher fat or calorie content
- 1The flavors of watermelon are brought out when seasoned with a dash of lime or lemon.Replace a full meal or snack with just a cup of raw watermelon, Eat it raw, cut up into cubes, slices or thick shavings.Advertisement
- 2This is a very hydrating drink that consists of a cup of watermelon and a cup of ice. You can also make this slushie more exotic by adding a few teaspoons of your favorite juice, such as coconut water grapefruit, cranberry, lemon, lime, strawberry or orange juice. Watermelon also goes well with mint, pink Himalayan sea salt, ginger and fresh rosemary herb. Drinking a watermelon juice like this can help detoxify your body and keep you feeling full between meals so you do not eat junk food.Replace a full meal or a snack with a watermelon and ice slushier.
- 3Watermelon can be chopped and whipped up with other juices or milk to make a nutritious low-calorie drink. It is best to use low-fat dairy, coconut milk, almond milk or rice milk in watermelons as creams do not go well with texture.. A good combination for weight loss is watermelon, banana, strawberries, avocado ice and your choice of coconut, almond or rice milk. Most people find this a watermelon smoothie to be a very filling drink that serves well as a full meal replacement. If you want to add protein, add a tablespoon of chia seeds or whey powder.Replace a full meal with a watermelon smoothie.
- 4You can also use flavored soda waters, such Perrier GrapefruitDrink watermelon juice with ice or watered down with carbonated spring water as a substitute for sugary and carb ridden sodas and colas.
- 5You can make watermelon tea with any type of tea you prefer including ginger tea, mint tea, cardamom tea, green tea, white tea, orange pekoe or black tea. Simply brew four cups your favorite type of tea and add it to a pitcher full of ice cubes . Add 2 cups of watermelon juice. Tea in itself is a natural detoxifier diuretic and cleanser and so is the watermelon. Mint leaves of any kind and lemon or lime also add an interesting flavor to this type of ice tea.Drink watermelon iced tea as often as you like, which acts as a powerful diuretic and detoxifier for weight loss.
- 6Watermelon can be added raw to any type of salad including fruit salads and ones with leafy greens.Add watermelon chunks to any salad and eat that as a meal.
- 7To serve one person make a dressing blend together one olive oil, fresh lime juice and black and pepper to make a dressing. Place two cups of chopped watermelon, half a cup of chopped feta cheese and half a cup of crumbled feta cheese in bowl. Toss all of these ingredients together and serve. Note that you can also substitute basil or arugula for the mint leaves in this dish and balsamic vinegar for the lime juice.Replace a daily meal or a snack with a classic feta cheese and watermelon salad.
- 8For savory flavor add salt, pepper, walnut oil and basil leaves. For a sweet dessert sauce that is excellent on fruit or mixed salad add a touch of vanilla pure extract..Puree the watermelon flesh and use as a low calorie dressing for desserts or salad.
- 9This helps caramelize the natural sugars in the watermelon and helps to make a sugary but low fat and low calorie treat.For a delicious snack or side dish, or even as a meal replacement, braise watermelon slices with a bit of honey and lemon juice and cook them on the grill for about two minutes on each side.
- 10This classic salsa recipe is created by combining chopped watermelon with onions, multi-colored peppers, chili and coriander. Place all of the ingredients in a bowl, drizzle with lime juice, season with salt and pepper and serve.Make watermelon salsa and serve it with corn chips or vegetables.
- 11Puree four cups of watermelon in a blender and add a handful of mint, a thumb sized bit of sliced ginger, a splash of white wine, and the flesh of one small lime and puree it until it is very smooth. If the watermelon was not very sweet, you can taste it and add a bit of Stevia or Truvia if needed. Pour this mixture into bowls and serve it cold with a dollop of plain or vanilla Greek yogurt on top. Shaved coconut flakes, without sugar or a handful of thinly sliced almonds add healthy fats and protein to this soup,.Make chilled watermelon and soup and eat a six ounce bowl of it instead of lunch or supper.
- 12Combine chopped tomatoes, chopped watermelon, chopped red Spanish onions together in a bowl and then drizzle with a dressing that is half balsamic vinegar and half olive oil. Season generously with salt and pepper.Make a watermelon and tomato salad for a replacement meal that is high in weight loss inducing lycopene.
Make a watermelon and cucumber salad and eat it as a meal. This salad is less than 70 calories per serving. Combine thinly sliced cucumbers with sliced red onions, watermelon chunks, a bit of lime juice, a touch of olive oil and salt and pepper.
- 1Combine roughly chopped avocado, watermelon, fully cooked shrimp (peeled or unpeeled according to your preference), 2 jalapenos, a dash of lime, a teaspoon of honey and chopped cilantro leaves in a bowl. Season with chopped jalapeno peppers to help accelerate the fat burning qualities of this meal-in-a-bowl diet dish . The shrimp is optional, but also a good source of low carb, low fat protein.Make a shrimp, watermelon and avocado salad and eat it as a full replacement meal for lunch or dinner.
- 2Blend together 4 cups of watermelon chunks, ½ cup or lime juice, a handful of mint and two tablespoons of Stevia or Truvia in a blender until sooth. Freeze the mixture in a popsicle mold that makes six to eight treats. You can also add a couple of tablespoons of plain Greek yogurt to this to make a milkier treat. Any type of juice can also take the place of the lime juice including orange, lemon, strawberry, grapefruit, blueberry or white or red cranberry. It is also healthy to add whole berries such blueberry, cherry or strawberry to the mixture or coconut flakes.Make watermelon popsicles and satisfy your sweet tooth between meals.
- 3Slice the watermelon into wedges and remove the seeds. Braise both sides of each side with a mixture made from a tablespoon of honey and tablespoon of lime juice. Grill the watermelon on both sides until slightly caramelized and grill marks are evident on the fruit's flesh.Serve grilled watermelon as a dessert instead of fattier, high carb options like cake or pudding.
- 4You can melt a chocolate bar in the microwave, by zapping it for about three minutes or you can melt it over a double boiler. Dip chilled watermelon wedge into the warm chocolate, set it on a plate and let it chill in the freezer to set for about ten minutes. This dessert is only 77 calories per wedge.Dip watermelon chunks in melted 70% cacao chocolate for a healthy desert.
- 5Mix together five cups of cubed watermelon, four cups of hilled strawberries, 14 ounces of coconut milk and ½ cup of a stevia sugar substitute like Truvia. Puree the watermelon and strawberries until smooth, Dissolve the sugar substitute in one and a half cups of very hot water and add it to the mixture and blend it again. Churn the mixture in an ice cream maker according to manufacturer's directions and then serve. This is an excellent substitute for fatty ice cream.Make a creamy watermelon sorbet to eat as a very low fat dessert.
- 6Freeze a cup of rose wine in an cube tray overnight and then put them in a blender. Add a half a cup of chopped watermelon, a dash of chilled vodka and one teaspoon cherry juice. Blend everything together on high and serve garnished with watermelon.For a low-fat alcoholic treat, make a watermelon Frosee.
Method 3: On the 5 Day Cleansing Watermelon Diet
You can lose up to twelve pounds in a five day period if you follow this cleansing watermelon diet for weight loss, in which the only thing you are allowed to eat is watermelons. You can stay on this very calorie-restricted diet without risking nutritional deficiencies for two weeks, but it is recommended that you only stay on it for the five days, as technically it is a crash diet without nutrition from other foods. If you find that you are losing weight and still feel well, it is possible, but not recommended to stay on this crash diet for 21 days and lose up to 25 pounds.
It is always a good idea to check with your physician before you go on any type of low-calorie diet, crash diet, liquid diet or diet where you only eat one or two foods as the food deprivation could interfere with your metabolism or medications that you are on. If you have certain immune disorders, liver or kidney issues or a metabolic disorder like diabetes, your body may not be able to handle the lack of protein intake and rapid detoxification process that occurs when you embark on this diet\
- 1This should last you for five days of the diet. You can buy any type of watermelon that you want including red, yellow, orange or green varieties that might help bring a little variety into the diet, at least visually. You can also buy seedless or seeded watermelon. Larger Sugar Baby and Tiger Baby watermelons are recommended on this diet as the watermelon is usually about the size for personal consumption every day.Buy five whole medium sized watermelons, preferably organic at your local market.
Tips and Tricks
- When buying a watermelon, choose one that feels firm, heavy and that has a yellow patch on one side, as that is proof it has been ripening outside on the ground like it should and that is natural and fresh
- A ripe watermelon will make a low thumping sound that sounds a bit like a drum when you pat it hard on the side
- Make sure you buy a ripe watermelon as they are the ones that contain the most lycopene
- The more of the white part of the watermelon fruit that you eat, the part that is closer to the rind, the more you will receive the benefits of the antioxidant citrulline, which may helps relax blood vessels and reduce hypertension
- Watermelon is best eaten raw and at room temperature, so they do not lose their vitamin and lycopene content
- Watermelon will keep, cut, for two days without refrigeration
- Never store watermelon, even cut watermelon in the refrigerator for over four hours as the flesh will suffer injury from the cold and the fruit will be depleted of some of its nutrients
- Watermelon that is pre-cut into chunks will store it in the refrigerator, it will still be edible after about five days, but a bit less nutritious
- Always wash the entire watermelon before you cut it as even organic watermelon could have bacteria, dyes or pesticide on the skin
- Watermelon is easily cut into chunks by cutting the fruit into slices and then halving the slices, or by cutting the fruit into quarters and then cutting down to the flesh in slices and then into chunks
- Watermelon does not fare well as an ingredient in gelatin desserts as it tends to break down structurally and add too much water to the gelatin so it does not set
- Keep watermelon away from fruits that might cause them to ripen too quickly
- You can eat the seeds of the watermelon, which contain iron and zinc, but many people find them hard to digest properly
- Note that it is preferable to puree watermelon and drink it rather than drink the straight juice, which is very sugary and can cause spikes in insulin levels and cause cravings for protein and carbs
- Watermelon does cause gas and stomach cramps in some people and if that is the case then start off by consuming less of it before you work yourself up to consuming a cup a day
- Crash diets that involve a fair amount of fasting or eating only one food, such as the *Watermelon Cleansing Diet can also be done for three days or even just one day, but the resulting weight loss will be less
- It is normal to experience a bit of a headache while you are on a diet consuming watermelon only, due to the detoxifying effect of watermelon on the system
- While on a calorie restricted diet, do not over exert yourself by exercising very hard as your body will simply not have the calories to enable you to get through it without feeling terrible or even falling dangerously ill
- Do not take flax seed or chia seed products or any kind of carb-blocking product at the same time as a vitamin or you may not absorb the vitamins
Questions and Answers
Please help iv been doing this diet for 7 weeks now and can't seem to lose any weight?
I have a banana and a coffee no sugar for breakfast and salad sandwich for lunch and tea watermelon and still don't lose weight what am I doing wrong.can you help me out iv been doing this not for 60 days. Just wanting to know what I am doing wrong ..Iv been having a banana for breakfast with a cuppa with no sugar then for lunch I have a salad sandwich and then for tea I have watermelon .I drink heaps of water through the day and I never snack on sweets what am I not do right. I have tried: Eating heaps of fruit and not drinking alcohol through the week as I used to drink wine everyday about 8 glasses now I only have a drink on the weekend. I think it was caused by: To much food and wine I also take meds for skiso and depression just over nothing happening I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong
VisiHow QnA. This section is not written yet. Want to join in? Click EDIT to write this answer.