Lose Weight by Eating Sugar
Edited by Donna, Alma, Eng, Jay and 1 other
Most diets ban sugar but it is still possible to lose weight and have sugar in your diet. Note that the suggestions below do not advise bringing carelessly on sugar, but rather finding healthy sources and ways to manage your intake of it so you do not pack on the pounds.
Note that the suggestions here are also not recommended for individuals with certain conditions, especially those suffering from chronic fatigue, irritable bowel syndrome, Candida yeast infections, allergies, histamine intolerance, inflammatory conditions, metabolic disorders, pre-diabetes or Diabetes I or Diabetes II.
- 1Give into a craving for sugar when you need to, but do not eat any the rest of the time. If giving into having a big chunk of chocolate cake helps you resist high-calorie binges throughout the day, then it is a great idea to have that one piece, satisfy the craving and then go back to eating sugar-free. Note that you will definitely lose weight a lot slower if you are not sugar-free, especially if your metabolism is slow.Advertisement
- 2If you give into a craving for sugar, try to choose a treat that has less than 12 grams of sugar. For instance, some types of chocolate flavored milk can have as much as 78 grams of sugar. What you are looking for is milk with less than 12 and some milk made with cacao have as a little 9 grams. The same goes for any product, including seemingly healthy treats like flavored or fruit yogurt can have 80 grams of sugar per serving.Advertisement
- 3If you have a sugary drink, dilute with ice. If you do give in and have a soda, try diluting it with ice and drink it very slowly that your body does not absorb the sugars. It is also a good idea to eat some protein and fiber with a sugary drink to slow down the glycemic impact of the beverage. For instance, a glass of diet ginger ale averages at 78 grams of sugar, which is certain to make you feel peppy but also very hard on your pancreas and other organs that govern weight loss.
- 4Choose to get your sugars from natural sources instead of refined ones. For instance, an orange is very high in sugar, but it also contains a good amount of Vitamin C, Vitamin K, fiber, and potassium, which are all nutrients that facilitate weight loss. The theory here is that if you are going to eat something sweet, think a bit about its overall nutritional value first.
- 5Eat any sugar that you consume with a source of protein. If you are craving jam, have it on whole-grain bread and with a piece of cheese. If you are craving a cake, make sure it is a cheesecake that is made with ricotta or cottage cheese. If you are craving a cake, go for a zucchini or carrot cake, which is likely to have fewer calories than a regular vanilla or chocolate cake.
- 6Eat any sugar that you consume with food that is a natural source of fiber. If you give into eating, chocolate bar or another sweet treat, try to pair it with something good for you with fiber. For instance, add chopped up kiwi, which is very high in fiber, to that bowl of ice cream. If you are craving a dessert, consider eating pumpkin pie, which is a good source of Vitamin A and fiber.
- 7If it is milk you are craving, starts drinking whole milk, which is 3% fat. Milk is usually quite high in sugar at 1e grams or more. The sugar in milk is called lactose and it breaks down into glucose and galactose, which is used for energy. Low-fat milk is more glycemic than high-fat milk because it hits your bloodstream with a glycemic load faster than milk that has more fat in it. Skim milk has almost twice the amount of milk in it than full fat cream, which means it is also better to add cream to your coffee, rather than sugar. Yet another consideration is that the vitamins A, D, E and K in milk cannot be absorbed by the body unless there is some fat in the beverage and that all four of these vitamins are needed daily to support a healthy metabolism.
- 8Only eat sugar just before a workout. Exercising for just twenty minutes can reduce the effect of a sugary meal. If you must have a sweet treat, go ahead, but make sure you are exercising for that twenty minutes or more. It is also better to choose a refined carbohydrate, such as white bread or pasta over a pure sugar, such as a regular cola or candies as the products made from grain, although technically still bad for you, can give you the extra calories you need to give your workout a boost.
- 9Restrict yourself and only eat sugar after dinner in the form of dessert. If you eat sugar after you eat a balanced meal, you will satisfy your craving and also stop the effects of eating too much sugar at once because your meal would have contained some fat, fiber, and protein that blocks its effects on your blood sugar levels.
- 10Consume a bit of cinnamon with your sugar. Cinnamon contains chromium, which helps lower your blood sugar naturally, even if you are getting it from a meal of pancakes and syrup or a huge hot fudge sundae. Cinnamon can easily be added to all kinds of sugar-laden treats including fruit pies, chocolate drinks and Asian stews with a cornstarch-based sauce.
- 11Consume a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar in water every day on rising to help your system process sugar throughout the rest of the day. Apple cider vinegar helps to regulate your metabolism and stave off metabolic disorders.
- 12Take a single dose of 400 grams of Chromium Picolinate before working out every day. A recommended brand is GNC Chromium Picolinate
- 13Taking three PGX, a carb pill full of fiber, before a sugary meal can help prevent blood sugar spikes and the weight gain caused by eating sugary sweets. [www.pgx.com PGX] is a carb blocker that slows down how fast sugar enters your bloodstream, thus reducing the strain on your pancreas and liver often caused by eating any kind of candy. Also note that the more cacao that is in a chocolate bar, the less sugar it is likely to contain.
- 14Eat 35 gourmet flavored jelly beans throughout the day to get your sugar fix. Eating a couple of these every now and then can help satisfy your sweet tooth and you will not be tempted to eat snacks that are much higher in calories. Thirty-five jelly beans only have 140 calories.
- 15If you are craving a chocolate bar, make it one that is 70% cacao or more. Chocolate has many benefits that mitigate the consumption of the sugar, including a beneficial effect on your metabolism. Be aware too that eating 40 grams of dark chocolate very day will result in positive changes to your metabolism, making it more efficient.
- 16Buy the sugary food that you love to eat in its most concentrated and flavorful forms. This way you will eat less of it. For instance, instead of buying a large chocolate cake, buy brownies, which are more flavorful and serve in smaller portions.
- 17You can still have sugar, just less of it, if you make the treat at home with your own recipe. For instance, if you are making a chocolate cake you can cut the sugar content by replacing part of it with applesauce, Greek yogurt or an artificial sweetener like Stevia.
- 18Practice portion control and discipline and only eat a certain amount of sugar every day. For instance, if someone gives you a box of chocolates with each one worth 100 calories, resolve to only have two a day for the next two weeks rather than gorging on them all in a day or two. This is a sensible way to keep your blood sugar in check while still enjoying a sweet treat.
- 19Be aware of hidden sugars elsewhere in your diet, so that when you do eat sugar recreationally you are not overloading your system with a glycemic impact. Make sure you read ingredient lists and avoid foods that contain white flour, rice starch, and corn starch as they turn into sugar immediately once they hit your bloodstream.
Tips and Tricks
- One of the worst things you can do is have a doughnut or pastry paired with sugar as the caffeine in the coffee will cause the sugar to speed, even faster into your bloodstream than normal and cause insulin spikes and eventually metabolic disorders
- You can also buy cinnamon as supplements, and take a couple of pills before you eat anything sweet to help lower your blood sugar
- Keep in mind that no matter what measures that you take to manage it with supplements, portions, and complimentary foods that eating a lot of sugar will eventually cause you some kind of health issue
- Eating sugar at night puts many people to sleep and getting more rest may actually help your metabolism reset itself in the morning
- Lifting weights in the morning may help your body deal more efficiently with any glucose consume through sugar throughout the rest of the day because it sends it to the muscles to be used as fuel rather than to the belly, where it is used as fat
- Note that one of the rationales for eating sugar is to avoid feeling angry or frustrated because you cannot have your favorite foods, whereas having some sugar and feeling contented might help you beat an overall temptation to forgo your weight loss efforts in general
- It helps to eat the sugary treat slowly and enjoy it because it will help you avoid a temptation to gorge
- If you are in a restaurant, ask to see the dessert menu first so that you can budget out how you will balance your main entrée order with protein, fat, and fiber with your dessert choice
- Avoid gorging on sugary foods because you feel bad emotionally and meditate or deal with your feelings instead
- Never let a little slip in your diet become a huge backslide that has you gorging on sugary foods because you think you have somehow blown it as this will only feed your disappointment in yourself and your weight gain even further
There is no user reviews.
Categories : Weight Loss
Recent edits by: Jay, Eng, Alma