Lose Weight by Eating Strawberries By Replacing Meals With Strawberry Smoothies vs Adding Strawberries to Your Daily Diet
Edited by Donna, Alma, Eng
Strawberries enable weight loss because:
- Strawberries are an ideal diet food as one cup of this widely available fruit has absolutely no fat, only 11 grams of carbohydrates and contains only 47 calories per cup
- They contain hundreds of phytonutrients and phytochemicals including ellagitannins, flavenols, terpenoids and anthoycyanins that help prevent metabolic disorders and repair the endocrine and digestive systems so they work properly
- The polyphenols in strawberries actually have the ability to lower blood sugar and are good for diabetics and those with metabolic disorders to eat to lose weight
- Strawberries are very high in Vitamin C, providing 113% of the recommended daily allowance for the vitamin
- Strawberries are a low-glycemic food, which means that eating them helps prevent blood sugar spikes or weight gain
- Strawberries are rich in fiber, which helps clean your intestines of mucus and waste so that your body is better able to absorb nutrients from digested food
- Strawberries are high in several different minerals including manganese, iodine, copper, potassium, magnesium and phosphorus, which help regulates your metabolism by nourishing your thyroid, pituitary gland and pancreas
- They are very high in the B vitamins that promote fat-burning and weight loss including the nutrients foliate, biotin and Vitamin B6
- They are a rare vegan source of omega 3 fats, which helps keep fat out of your bloodstream and keep your brain healthy
- Strawberries contain small amounts of salicylic acid, which is a natural pain reliever that helps relieve joint and muscle pain so that you can lose weight by exercising for longer periods of time
- Strawberries are very filling fruit and eating them can help you feel full, which discourages the snacking between meals that can cause weight gain
- Strawberries are rich in B6 helps keep the pituitary and thyroid glands working and well and converting ingested foods into fuel instead of fat
- Strawberries are high in potassium, which is a mineral that is mildly diuretic and helps reduce harmful levelers of sodium thus reducing bloating and cellulite and also supporting the health of the kidneys and liver
Method 1: By Replacing Meals With Strawberry Smoothies
To lose weight drinking by drinking strawberry smoothies, all you have to do is replace one to two meals a day with one of the smoothies below. All of the smoothies here amount to being less than 200 calories, which means that you are saving 200 to 800 calories a day per meal while at the same time cutting hunger pangs and staying nourished. If you eliminate just one meal a day and replace it with just one of the strawberry smoothies below you could lose two to five pounds a week and if you replace two meals per day you could lose up to ten pounds a week. Each recipe below makes one twelve ounce strawberry smoothie serving. Before you embark on a limited calorie regimen like this one, you might want to consult with a doctor to make sure that eating less calories than usual won't affect your health or any medications you may be taking. As strawberries are not a whole food, it is best to take a multivitamin and mineral every day while you are on this meal replacement weight loss regimen.
Many of the smoothies below actually taste even better if you use frozen strawberries, especially if you prefer a cold, frosty drink. If you don't use frozen strawberries, you can add a bit more ice or another frozen fruit to make it frostier.
- 1Make a Strawberry, Coconut Water and Lime smoothie at 50 calories per serving. Blend together a cup of frozen strawberries, one cup of coconut water and a splash of lime juice in a blender cup until smooth and frosty. This frosty drink has next to no fat, except or some essential fatty acids in the coconut water and it is also very high in Vitamin C , which reduces inflammation in the body and supports the health of the endocrine system. It is also very hydrating, because coconut water has a very balanced mineral profile that is high in potassium, which helps to flush sodium from your body.Advertisement
- 2Make a Strawberry Grapefruit and Ginger Smoothie at 50 calories per serving. Combine the flesh of one peeled and seeded chopped pink grapefruit, one cup of frozen strawberries, one chopped small apple with peel off and one inch of chopped fresh peeled ginger. Add a cup of ice and whirl it all together in a blender. This strawberry weight-loss smoothie is very high in Vitamin C and chromium, which helps regulate your blood sugar. The apple in this smoothie adds a low-fat protein and a broad spectrum of B vitamins. The ginger helps add a bit of flavor to the smoothie, while at the same time, stimulating your circulation.Advertisement
- 3Make a Strawberry, Hibiscus and Lemon Smoothie at 50 calories per serving. Blend two cups of ice with a cup of frozen strawberries, a cup of chilled brewed Hibiscus tea, two tablespoons of Greek yogurt, a teaspoon of Truvia or honey, a dash of lemon juice and a tablespoon of grated organic lemon zest. The hibiscus tea is very rich in antioxidants that support weight loss and also the health of liver. The lemon juice and lemon peel in this weight loss smoothie helps reduce inflammation in the body so you are better able to exercise.
- 4Make a Strawberry, Watermelon and Lime smoothie at 60 calories per serving. In a blender, mix 1 cup of watermelon, half a cup of strawberries, three tablespoons of fresh lime juice, 1 cup of ice cubes and stevia or Truvia to taste. Blend all of the ingredients together on high speed until smooth and frosty. This drink is very high in Vitamin C, which reduces inflammation and supports the endocrine system and it also expedites weight loss.
- 5Make a Strawberry, Beet, Basil and Carrot smoothie at 75 calories per serving. Blend together one chopped raw beet, two small carrots, a handful of basil a cup of strawberries, a and a cup of ice in a blender. Whirl it all together until frosty and smooth. This smoothie is very high in Vitamins A and C and chromium, which helps to fight insulin resistance and metabolic disorders. The basil is rich in iron and polyphenols that supports the health of the liver and digestive system. Basil is also an antidepressant that can help you feel great, even if you are on a calorie deprivation diet.
- 6Make a Strawberry, Blueberry and Greek Yogurt Smoothie at 80 calories per serving. Blend one cup of ice with ½ cup of strawberries, ½ cup of blueberries, a cup of vanilla-flavored Greek Yogurt, teaspoon of honey and a handful of crushed ice until smooth. The berries in this smoothie are powerful anti-inflammatories and very high Vitamin C. The Greek Yogurt in this smoothie is high in protein and probiotics that help keep your gut flora in proper working order.
- 7Make a Strawberry, Asian Pear and Greek Yogurt Smoothie at 80 calories a serving. In a blender, combine, a cup of Greek yogurt, a small chopped seeded Asian pear and half of a cup of frozen strawberries. You may sweeten this with Stevia or honey. Asian pear is a very hydrating fruit that is rich in fiber. Along with the strawberries, it provides relief from water retention and bloat. The Yogurt provides a source of protein that can sustain your energy levels throughout the day and also keeps your gut flora healthy.
- 8Make a Strawberry, Tahini and Yogurt Smoothie at 90 calories per serving. Blend together six medium-sized clean washed strawberries, a quarter of a cup of low-fat plain yogurt, 1 cup of fresh orange juice, a handful of ice 1 tablespoon tahini, 1 medium frozen banana, ½ teaspoon of vanilla and 1 tablespoon of honey. Blend all of the ingredients together until smooth and cold. The tahini is made from sesame seeds and is a good source of essential fatty acids and protein.
- 9Make a Strawberry, Raspberry and Banana Smoothie at 100 calories per serving. Blend together ½ cup of strawberries, a small frozen banana, ½ a cup of fresh frozen raspberries, six ounces of almond milk, a tablespoon of honey and a handful of ice cubes. Blend everything together until smooth and frosty. This drink is very high in Vitamin C, which fights inflammation and helps keep the endocrine system healthy, and both the raspberry and the banana help clean out the colon and keep you regular.
- 10Make a Strawberry, Mango and Banana smoothie at 100 calories per serving. Blend together a half a cup of frozen strawberries, a half a cup of mangos, one frozen banana, a cup of ice and a splash of orange juice in a blender. Pulse everything together until smooth. Mango is an excellent source of Vitamin A that supports the optimum functioning of the kidneys, liver and pancreas and the banana supplies potassium, which helps eliminate sodium from your system and thus reduce bloating.
- 11Make a Strawberry, Soy Milk and Banana smoothie at 105 calories. In a blender, combine one small frozen ripe banana, a cup of strawberries, ½ cup of soy milk, a tablespoon of honey and a cup of ice. Blend until smooth and drinkable. Soy milk is a vegan source of protein and the banana provides potassium and fiber to support weight loss. Note that if you are allergic to soy or find that it causes bloating, then this is not the best smoothie for you to drink.
- 12Make a Strawberry, Kiwi and Cucumber smoothie at 110 calories per serving. Combine one half of a cup of frozen strawberries, half a cup of sliced kiwi, a half of a cup of chopped cucumber, and a handful of spinach leaves in blender Add a splash each of lemon and lime juice, a dash of pepper, a couple of ice cubes and a couple of sprigs of basil and a dash of sea salt. Blend everything together until smooth. Both the cucumber and the kiwi in this drink are powerful diuretics that help cleanse the bladder. The cucumber is a potent antioxidant, that along with the strawberries helps eliminate excess sodium from the kidneys, which in turn helps reduce bloating.
- 13Make a Strawberry, Honeydew Melon and Coconut Smoothie at 135 calories per serving. Combine a half of a cup of fresh frozen strawberries, a half of a cup of green honeydew melon, a quarter of a cup of coconut milk, a tablespoon of fresh lemon juice, a tablespoon of freshly grated lemon zest, a dash of vanilla and a cup of ice together in a blender. Puree it together to make a frosty drink. Honeydew melon is rich in calcium, which benefits the muscles and digestive system and the coconut milk provides necessary protein.
- 14Make a Strawberry, Avocado and Spinach smoothie at 130 calories per serving. Blend together a cup of fresh or frozen strawberries, 1 cup of frozen or freshly chopped spinach, the fruit of one small avocado and three teaspoons of honey. Spinach is a good source of iron that supports the functioning of the liver and the avocado in the smoothie is very rich in Vitamin E and essential acids that keep your nervous system, muscles and joints in good working order.
- 15Make a Strawberry Banana and Fig smoothie at 140 calories per serving. In a blender, combine ½ cup of almond milk, a small whole frozen banana, 3 whole fresh figs, a handful of ice and 1 tablespoon of honey. Whirl the mixture together until smooth. Both the banana and fig are very high in fiber and potassium, which helps remedy bloating and helps your waist look slimmer. The honey is a quick, healthy energy source that is also a natural anti-inflammatory and antibacterial agent, which once again assists you with having a flatter looking tummy.
- 16Make a Strawberry Nectarine and Mint Smoothie at 140 calories per serving. Mix together one half of a cup of frozen strawberries with the flesh of one unpeeled nectarine, a tablespoon of honey, a half a cup of vanilla flavored coconut milk, a handful of mint and a handful of ice cubes. Whirl the mixture together until well blended . This drink is very rich in Vitamin A and Vitamin C. The Vitamin A supports the health of your liver and the strawberries and the mint work synergistically with each other to reduce bloating due to water retention.
- 17Make a Strawberry Peanut Butter and Banana Smoothie at 145 calories per serving. In a blender, combine a small peeled frozen banana, ten frozen strawberries, a tablespoon of smooth organic peanut butter, ¼ of a cup of almond milk and a handful of ice cubes. This peanut butter and almond milk in this smoothie are very high in protein, which helps you build lean muscle, so it is a good smoothie to drink on days when you need to work out or expend a lot of energy. The strawberries in this smoothie are full of fiber and Vitamin C and help to clear waste and mucus from the so that nutrients are well absorbed by the intestines.
- 18Make a Strawberry, Pineapple and Kale smoothie at 145 calories per serving. Combine ½ cup of fresh or frozen pineapple, half of a cup of frozen strawberries 1 frozen banana, a splash of almond milk, a handful of kale, a handful of ice and a splash of lemon juice in a blender. Puree it all until smooth and frosty. If Pineapple contains brome lain, which is a powerful anti-inflammatory that supports the health of your cardiovascular system and your joints. The kale contains a broad spectrum of vitamins and mineral supports muscle and brain function and which helps you exercise more efficiently. The banana is a good source of potassium, helps to alkalinize the blood reduce bloating around the midriff.
- 19Make a Strawberry, Orange and Chamomile Tea smoothie that is 14 calories per serving. Blend 1 cup frozen strawberries with the flesh of one peeled orange, 1 cup chilled brewed chamomile tea, a ½ cup of ice and a tablespoon of honey. Blend everything together and pour into a tall glass and serve. This frosty drink is very rich in Vitamin C, which supports your endocrine system. The chamomile tea also helps you feel relaxed and less irritable while you are on a low calorie diet. This is a good smoothie to drink at night, not at work as chamomile can also help put you to sleep.
- 20Make a Strawberry Pina Colada at 145 calories per serving. In a blender, combine half of a cup of fresh or frozen strawberries, half a cup of fresh or frozen pineapple, a cup of coconut milk, a splash of vanilla and a handful of ice cubes. Puree all of this together to makes a high protein smoothie that reduces inflammation and helps you digest proteins more efficiently, which helps take metabolic stress off of your liver. The bromelain in pineapple also helps your joints to recover quickly after exercise. The coconut in this recipe adds essential fatty acids to the mix, which helps support your mood and brain health.
- 21Make a Strawberry, Rice Milk Matcha Green Tea smoothie at 160 calories per serving. Puree 1 cup of vanilla or plain flavored rice milk, a cup of frozen blackberries, a cup of matcha tea powder, one quarter of a cup of pure spring water and a handful of ice in a blender. Add a teaspoon of maple syrup or Truvia to the mixture to sweeten it if needed. Whirl this all together until smooth and frosty and then serve. This smoothie is rich in anti-inflammatory agents that keep you feeling while you lose weight. The vanilla rice milk is a rich source of protein and B vitamins, which provides you with energy. This smoothie is a good choice to drink before a workout or a run because the green Matcha tea also contains a fair amount of caffeine.
- 22Make a Strawberry, Cocoa Powder and Banana Smoothie for breakfast at 170 calories per serving. Blend together a cup of fresh or frozen strawberries, a cup of vanilla flavored almond milk, a heaping teaspoon of cacao and a cup of ice and blend until smooth. The banana provides you with the potassium needed to have you flush excess sodium from your blood, which helps support the health of your liver. The essential fatty acids in the cocoa help to prevent the irritability that can sometimes accompany being on a low calorie diet. You can also use unsweetened almond milk or coconut in this recipe, but be sure to add a dash of organic vanilla to the mix if you do.
- 23Make a Strawberry, Cantaloupe and Greek Yogurt smoothie at 180 calories per serving. In a blender, mix together 1 cup of chopped cantaloupe, 1 cup of frozen strawberries, 1 cup of Greek Yogurt, a handful of chia seeds and a cup of ice. Blend until cold, smooth and frosty. The Greek yogurt is a source helpful probiotics and the cantaloupe is a great source of Vitamin that helps support the liver. The chia seeds give this drink a little bit more body and pleasant thicker texture as well as a bit of extra protein.
- 24Make a Strawberry, Oatmeal and Greek Yogurt smoothie for breakfast at 185 calories per serving. Blend together a cup of straw berries, a cup of flaked oatmeal, a cup of vanilla Greek yogurt, a splash of orange juice a cup of ice and a dash of cinnamon. Whirl everything together until smooth and frosty. Both the oatmeal and the Greek yogurt are an excellent source of protein and B vitamins and the cinnamon powder helps stimulate your metabolism by stimulating your circulation.
- 25Make a Strawberry, Cherry and Blackberry milk smoothie that is 190 calories per serving. Combine ½ cup of strawberries half a cup of blackberries, ½ cup frozen sweet cherries, one small frozen banana, ½ cup of very cold almond milk, one tablespoon of real vanilla extract and one cup of ice in a blender. Blend all of the ingredients together until creamy. This drink is naturally high in Vitamin C, fiber, iron, folate and the protein needed to hold you over to the next meal.
Method 2: By Adding Strawberries to Your Daily Diet
Frozen strawberries work as well as raw ones for any recipe. They can be stored in the freezer for up to a year without losing any of their nutrition. It is best to buy organic strawberries whenever possible as they are most nutritious and often taste the best. Wild strawberries can also be used in any of the recipes below.
Here are some suggestions for adding raw strawberries to your diet, which can help you stay nourished, lose weight and trim inches from your belly and elsewhere.
- 1Eat raw organic strawberries as a snack. Simply eat washed fresh strawberries one by one as you would any type of indulgence or treat, They are also delicious sprinkled with a bit of stevia or sugar or lemon juice, combined with fresh mint or topped with a bit of real whipped cream or coconut cream. As odd as it seems, raw organic strawberries also taste good sprinkled with pepper, as pepper seems to bring out the sweetness in the fruit. Balsamic vinegar can also bring out the flavor of strawberries.Advertisement
- 2Eat strawberries with a homemade chocolate cream fruit dip. Whisk together three tablespoons if low-fat vanilla yogurt, three tablespoons of organic cocoa powder in a blender and blend all of the ingredients together until creamy and smooth. Pour the chocolate cream dip into a bowl. Enjoy the strawberries dipped into the chocolate.
- 4Make a strawberry vinaigrette that can be poured over salads. Mix together a cup of frozen strawberries, two tablespoons of honey, two tablespoons of apple cider vinegar, two tablespoons of olive oil, and a dash of salt and pepper. Pour into a mason jar, cap it and shake the mixture well. This type of dressing also suits roast pork or roast turkey.
- 5Make a classic Strawberry and Spinach salad. Strawberries go especially well with red onions, orange segments, kale, garlic, and spinach. Strawberries also taste good with vinegar and seasoned with a great deal of salt and pepper. This salad does not need a dressing because the oranges and strawberries add moisture to the salad on its own. =
- 6Eat sugar-free strawberry or low sugar strawberry preserves whenever possible. Read labels and try to avoid buying overly sweet commercial strawberry jams that are high in sugar. You can mix strawberry preserves into yogurt, serve it with cottage cheese, eat them with cheese and crackers and put them on top of cheesecake and ice cream. Strawberry preserves as a side dish to accompany roast chicken, turkey or pork.
- 7Make a classic strawberry coulis sauce by blending a half a cup of orange juice with a cup of strawberries. This sauce can be used as a sauce for pork, as a base for a fruit soup or as a sauce for cheesecake, pudding, cake or ice cream. A coulis mixture can also be added to smoothies or stirred into yogurt or cottage cheese.
- 8Make a Strawberry Iced Tea. Brew four to five cups of your favorite green, orange or black tea. Then add 2 cups of frozen strawberry puree (easily made by in a blender), with a half a cup of lemon, lime or orange juice, two tablespoons of Truvia or stevia and a handful of mint, rosemary or mint. Chill the beverage for two hours, stir well and serve over ice with citrus fruit and herbs as a garnish. All teas are natural detoxifiers and you can make a hybrid ice tea and strawberries using, hibiscus, mint, fennel, lavender, chamomile, nettle and other teas.
- 9Make a Strawberry and Basil Agua Fresca. Mix 5 cups of strawberries, 2 cups of vapor distilled spring water, two tablespoons of honey, ¼ cup of fresh organic lime, lemon or orange juice (or a mix of these) and a quarter cup of crumbled basil sprigs together in a blender with 1 cup of ice. Pour into a pitcher filled with ice and drink. This is a good way to stay hydrated all day and the ingredients in this drink, are also potent diuretics that help flush toxins and fats out of your system.
- 10Make a Strawberry Lemonade Frosty. Simply whirl a half-cup of frozen strawberries, a couple of ice cubes, a quarter of a fresh lemon juice and two tablespoons of liquid honey or stevia in a blender. Blend it all together until the drink is frosty and smoothie. Pour the strawberry lemonade into a tall glass and serve. This delicious cold drink is very rich in Vitamins A, C, E and polyphenols and antioxidants that help reduce inflammation in the body. You can garnish this delicious lemonade with sprigs of basil, mint, thyme or sage sprigs.
- 11Make a Japanese Strawberry and Rice Milk soda. Mix a ¼ of a cup of frozen strawberries with a cup of vanilla flavored rice milk in a tall glass filled with ice. Top it off with club soda or sparkling mineral water and garnish the drink with a strawberry and mint. This drink is also anti-inflammatory and can help remedy and upset stomach.
- 12For breakfast, snack or dessert consumes at least a cup of strawberries with either a half a cup of Greek yogurt, coconut yogurt or a ½ cup of low-fat cottage cheese. The dairy products take care of your need or protein and calcium for the day and keep your feeling full until the net milk. If you like you can sprinkle crushed almonds, walnuts, pumpkin flax seeds on top of the yogurt to add essential fatty acids to the recipe.
- 13Eat home-made low-fat strawberry cream cheese on a bagel for breakfast. Mix five to seven strawberries and a tablespoon of stevia, honey or sugar into a cup of soft cream cheese. Add a dash of vanilla and mash it all together with a fork to make it smooth. You can also make this in a blender, but it is equally good pureed completely or mashed up in a bowl. This cream cheese can be spread on melba toast or whole grain cracker to give you a quick fix of protein before your next meal.
- 14Have Strawberry Deconstructed Smoothie bowl for breakfast or dessert. Blend together, in a blender, 1/3 of a cup of soaked chia seeds, ½ cup of slivered almonds, 1 cup pitted dates, two tablespoons of orange juice and a splash of pure vanilla extract. Blend until the mixture is a chunky paste and pour the mixture into a bowl. Top with strawberries and more slivered almonds. You can add sesame seeds, another type of fruit or whatever you like. This mixture will last in the refrigerator for about three days. This breakfast offers all the nutrients that you need to make sure that you have enough energy to get through your day, even though you are eating very low fat.
- 15Eat oatmeal with strawberries for breakfast. Both the oatmeal and strawberries provide your body with a low-fat vegan protein and fiber. For even more fiber and added fatty acids, which support your brain and mood, add a handful of flax seeds, unsalted pumpkin seeds or slivered almonds to the porridge. You can serve this with a splash of any kind of nut milk, such as almond or coconut and a dash of cinnamon to make a healthy, low-fat breakfast that helps jump start your metabolism in the morning. Oatmeal and strawberries also tastes good sprinkled with a bit of maple syrup.
- 16Make chilled Strawberry and Yogurt soup. Puree three cups of raw strawberries, and add a handful of mint, two cups of yogurt, a ½ cup of strawberry, pomegranate or cherry juice and the flesh of two small lemons too and puree again. Pour into bowls and serve cold with a sprig of mint or basil on top. The Greek yogurt in this soup provides you with friendly probiotics to help your gut process toxins, which in turn reduces bloating. You can also make this soup with orange juice.
- 17Make Strawberry and Cream popsicles. Blend together 3 cups of strawberries, a cup and a half of vanilla almond milk, the juice and zest of one orange and two tablespoons of honey. Blend the mixture until smooth and pour it into a popsicle mold that makes six to eight popsicles treats. Freeze for at least eight hours. The orange juice and the strawberries provide Vitamin C and the almond milk supplies these popsicles with a dose of vegan protein. You can also make these popsicles with coconut milk or cashew milk. If you make it with rice milk or coconut water, you really lower the calorie count of the popsicles.
- 18Make Chocolate covered strawberry snacks. Melt a bar of 90% cacao or more dark chocolate or bittersweet chocolate, placing it in a microwave for a minute or two. The chocolate should be glossy and liquid in texture. Dip the tip of the strawberries in the chocolate and then place on wax paper on a cookie sheet. Place the strawberries that are done in the freezer for about twenty minutes until the chocolate firms up and then serve. This recipe also works with milk chocolate or white chocolate, which also goes well with strawberries.
- 19Make a chilled Strawberry Pomegranate Punch. Blend together three cups of frozen strawberries, one cup of pomegranate juice, , ¼ cup of lemon juice, one teaspoon grated lemon zest and 1/4 cup Truvia powdered sweetener to taste. Pour into a big jug of ice and top with soda water, spring water or gingerale. You can easily turn this into a cocktail punch by adding vodka or gin to the mix.
- 20For a low-calorie alcoholic treat make a sparkling Strawberry Champagne Cocktail. Drop seven blackberries in the bottom into the bottom of a champagne glass. Fill with sparkling champagne and drink while the champagne is still popping with bubbles.
Tips and Tricks
- Wild strawberries are smaller and much sweeter than farmed ones.
- Strawberries are best eaten when firm, but ripe and when their skin is a bright red color
- Organic wild strawberries tend to have more flavor than farmed ones
- Medium sized strawberries tend to have less flavor than the medium or small sized ones
- Strawberries freeze well and keep for up to one year
- Adding a bit of lemon juice to strawberries before you freeze them will help prevent freezer burn and also help the berry keep its color
- Strawberries start losing their Vitamin C, polyphenol, and antioxidant content after just two days, so eat them as soon as you bring them home from the grocery store or supermarket
- Strawberries are best stored in a dark place with high humidity, so the butter drawer or a vegetable bin with a high humidity is your best option
- Consult with a doctor before embarking on a diet that limits your calories in any way
There is no user reviews.
Categories : Weight Loss
Recent edits by: Alma, Donna