Lose Weight by Eating Grapes On the Cleansing Grape Diet vs As A Replacement Food That Promotes Weight Loss
Edited by Donna, Eng, Alma
Weight Loss and Other Benefits of Eating Grapes
Grapes enable weight loss because:
- There are only 62 calories in a cup of grapes, making them an ideal snack or dieters and cutting calories substantially for substituting a meal with a cup of grapes
- Grapes contain almost a full spectrum of vitamins and micronutrients including all of the B vitamins, A, C , D and E that can help keep your metabolism running smoothly and promote weight loss
- Grapes contain many minerals that can help keep your blood, kidneys and liver in good working order including very high amounts of boron, copper, molybdenum and phosphorus
- Grapes are very high in potassium, which helps reduce sodium levels in the body and improve blood quality and the function of the cardiovascular system
- Grapes also contain many antioxidants that help repair cells fast including beta-carotene, alpha-carotene, lycopene, lutein, zeaxanthin and lutein
- The antioxidants in grapes help prevent the oxidation of fat in our bodies so it is harder for it to cling to tissue and stick around
- Grapes contain a tiny bit o melatonin, which helps your feel more relaxed and may help weight loos due to anxiety
- Grapes are one of the few foods that contains a full amino acid profile, which is what makes eating a cup of grapes a good meal substitute
- Grapes contain almost no fat, which makes them one of the most perfect of foods to consume for weight loss and the 1% fat in each grape consists o healthy Omega-3 and Omega-6 Fatty Acids
- Grapes are natural diuretics that help prevent water weight and flushes toxins out of your system in an efficient way that helps you shed the pounds fast
- Grapes are a very filling and an help tame cravings for sugary treats
- Grapes with the skin on are great source of easily digested fiber that helps clear waste and toxins from the digestive system, thus aiding elimination and in turn aiding weight loss
- Grapes are a low glycemic food, which means that the fruit sugars in the fruit do not speed to the bloodstream causing blood sugar spikes, so they are quite safe for diabetics to fast on, provided they have the approval of their physician to do so
- Grapes contain interleukins, molecules that help relieve and cure inflammation in the body, allowing for better metabolism and a better capacity for enduring exercise
- Grapes help reduce high blood pressure, which in turn enables people who have this condition to exercise comfortably for longer periods of time, thus helping to get rid of the calories
- The antioxidants in grapes also help improve the function of the brain and in particular, the function of the hippocampus region of the pituitary gland, which helps regulate weight gain and inflammation throughout the body
- Red, blue and black grapes contain resveratrol, which is known to improve cardiovascular health and which works synchronistic ally with a low-calorie diet to assist with weight loss
Method 1: On the Cleansing Grape Diet
You can lose up to seven pounds a four if you follow this cleansing grape diet if you follow it exactly and consume nothing but the grapes for at least four days. You can stay on this very calorie-restricted diet without risking nutritional deficiencies for two weeks, but it is recommended that you only stay on it for four days, as technically it is a crash diet. This is because while you are on it, you will be only consuming grapes, which although they have a full amino acid profile, it constitutes the minutest amounts of protein.
Be aware that this is not the best weight loss diet for diabetics to stay on for over the recommended four days as grapes are a sweet fruit and the lack of protein in this crash diet could cause blood sugar swings. It is always a good idea to check with your doctor before you go on any type of diet based on low-calorie intake where you only eat one food as it could interfere with medications, a medical condition or your metabolism. This diet, although ultimately beneficial, is also defined as a detox cleanse, that is often used to clear the body of tumors and cancer, and as it is so powerful, you need to check with your doctor to make sure that your particular physical or medical condition can handle the detoxification process.
- 1Buy four whole large bunches of grapes (about 8 pounds), preferably organic at your local market. This supply of fruit should last you for four days of the diet. You can buy any type of grape you want including Concord, black, blue, green or white. Buying a variety of grapes might help relieve the tedium of eating the same food every day. It also does not matter if you use seedless or seeded grapes during this crash diet as long as you are eating at least two pounds o grapes a day to keep your energy levels up.Advertisement
- 2Instead of eating other foods, eat two pounds of grapes every day for at least four days and a maximum of two weeks. It is best to split up this up into three meals and a snack to avoid hunger pangs. To avoid the boredom of eating the same thing all of the time you can freeze the grapes and eat them whole like you would a candy or blend them with ice or make a smoothie.Advertisement
- 3You must drink clear hot and cold brewed liquids and hot chicken or beef broth on this diet. You are allowed black coffee, black tea, and black green tea and any type of homemade ice tea, made without sugar. Drinking hot green tea is highly recommended on this diet because it has a powerful diuretic effect that can help the detoxification process. If you like you can sweeten your teas and flavor them with the tiniest amount of stevia and lemon. If you do opt to have a cup of broth, make sure it is an organic bone broth and that you have scraped or ladled all of the fat off the top of the broth
- 4Take a good high quality, vitamin and mineral supplement in the morning and two tablespoons of Metamucil or flax seed in water at night. The vitamin supplement will help ensure that you are getting all of the vitamins and minerals that you need that are not supplied by eating the grapes only and the Metamucil or flax seed will help make sure that you do not get constipated. Note that it is recommended that you not use these products if you have IBS (irritable bowel syndrome.)
- 5Be sure to consume at least eight glasses of spring water or distilled water while you are on this diet. This will help your body rinse itself out and eliminate toxins.
- 6Get at least eight hours of solid rest while you are on this diet to assist your body with weight loss and detoxification. It is a good idea to enjoy part of your daily allotment of grapes just before bed, as they contain melatonin, which promotes sleep
- 7Do this diet every day up to four days. If you feel like you want to continue this diet after four days, by all means do so. If you are dizzy or feel weak then do not do it more than the four days. Keep in mind too, that because this is a crash diet, it is likely that you will gain some of this weight back.
Method 2: As A Replacement Food That Promotes Weight Loss
One way to lose weight while you are on the grape diet is to replace one to two meals a day with a cup or two of grapes, which will only be 100-200 calories rather than the usual amount you consume. Here are additional ways to include this super fruit in your diet so that you can lose weight by either consuming the watermelon as a meal, dessert or snack replacement or by using it as a substitute for a food with a higher fat or calorie content
- 1Replace a full meal or snack with just a cup or two of grapes. You can enjoy them raw or frozen whole or as a frozen puree. Avoid cooking grapes because heating them destroys their natural antioxidant and vitamin content. You should also never use grapes canned in syrup, as the sugar content will cause you to gain weight.Advertisement
- 2Replace a full meal or a snack with a grape slushy. This hydrating drink consists of a cup of watermelon and a cup of ice that has been whipped into a frothy smoothie in a blender. You can also make this slushy more exotic by adding up to two teaspoons of your favorite juice, such as cherry, grapefruit juice, cranberry, lemon, lime, strawberry, watermelon or orange juice. Grapes also goes well with fresh grated ginger Drinking a grapefruit slushy like this is filling and refreshing and can help cut cravings for junk food between meals.
- 3Replace a full meal with a sweet grape smoothie. A good filing combination for weight loss is a cup of grapes, a small peeled banana and a half cup of Greek yogurt, rice milk, almond milk or cashew milk.
- 4Replace a full meal with a green smoothie. Blend together 2 fresh figs, one cup of red grapes, a handful of kale, an organic banana and a splash of spring water into a blender and blend well to make a nutritious drink that is great to have for breakfast. You can also use spinach or dandelion in this recipe. This particular smoothie helps the liver and colon detoxify itself quickly.
- 5Lose weight fast by replacing a full meal with Red Pepper, Apple and Grape smoothie. Combine a cup of grapes, with 1 apple and 1 red pepper, chopped and four ounces of spring water. Blend until smooth and drink. This smoothie is very high in Vitamin A and C, which gives dieters the energy to exercise and it also has a powerful diuretic effect.
- 6Drink a special grape, mint, and black iced tea. Brew black tea in four cups of water and add one tablespoon of lemon juice, five drops of aromatic bitters, a half a cup of bruised mint leaves and one cup of halved \grapes. A mix of red and green grapes goes well in this recipe. Refrigerate and serve cold over ice, being sure to consume the grapes as you consume the drinks.
- 7Add any kind of grapes to any salad and eat that as a meal. Grapes go well with celery, apples, red leaf lettuce, Spanish onions, sour cream and crumbled feta cheese. Grapes can be added raw to any type of salad including fruit salads. Grapes also suspend well in any type of gelatin salad.
- 8Make the tradition grape and fennel weight loss salad. A serving o this s contains only 139 calories and fennel, like the grapes, is a powerful diuretic that reduces bloat and helps your body shed water. The salad consists of 1 cup seedless green grapes, 4 cups of arugula greens, two tablespoons of thinly sliced fresh fennel and 1 ounce of finely crumble gorgonzola cheese. The dressing consists of 1 tablespoon o virgin olive oil, 1 tablespoon of fresh lemon juice and salt and black pepper to taste.
- 9Add sliced grapes to chicken salad or cold curried chicken salad sandwiches. You can also add grapes to curries, either while you are cooking them or after, but be aware that the more you cook grapes, the more you risk a loss of antioxidants and raise the sugar content of the fruit.
- 10Make a savory tarragon and grape salad dressing for salads. Mix one cup of any color of grapes with e tablespoons of extra-virgin olive oil, a teaspoon of very fine sea salt, a teaspoon of cracked black pepper and 2 tablespoons of fresh tarragon legs.
- 11Make a savory grape salsa it with corn chips or vegetables or spread it on thin, gluten-free crackers. Combine 2 cups chopped grapes (any kind) with 1 cup of cherry tomatoes, a finely chopped, seeded jalapeno, a finely chopped small red onion, lime juice, red wine vinegar and a sprinkle of oregano, salt, and pepper.
- 12Make a chilled cucumber, avocado, and grape soup, eat a bowl of it as a replacement meal for \ lunch or supper. Puree two cups of grapes, the flesh of a small avocado, and a cup of sliced cucumbers either the skin on and a half a cup of chopped almonds in a blender until smooth. Add ½ cup of virgin olive oil, two tablespoons of red wine vinegar, a half a cup of water and chopped garlic. Give the soup a whirl again and serve chilled with a dollop of plain Greek yogurt on top.
- 13Mak3 grape popsicles and satisfy your sweet tooth between meals. Blend together 4 cups of grapes, a handful of mint and two tablespoons of Stevia or Truvia in a blender until smooth. Freeze the mixture in a mold that makes six to eight treats. You can also add a couple of tablespoons of plain Greek yogurt to this to make a creamier pop. You can also swirl in two tablespoons of coconut water, rice milk, cherry juice, strawberry juice, lime juice or lemon juice to create additional taste interest.
- 14Dip frozen grapes in melted 70% cacao chocolate for a healthy desert. You can melt a chocolate bar in the microwave, by heating it for about three minutes or you can melt the cocoa over a double boiler. Dip chilled grapes into the warm chocolate set it on a plate and let it chill in the freezer to set for about ten minutes if the chocolate seems drippy , but the skin o the chilled grape should set the warm chocolate immediately.
- 15Make a low-fat grape sorbet to eat as a snack or as a dessert. Blend together e cups of frozen grapes, two tablespoons of fresh mint, 3 tablespoons of liquid stevia, 2 tablespoons of fresh lemon juice and a pinch of coarse salt and blend it all in a food processor. Freeze the mixture until firm.
- 16Eat raw grapes soaked in honey-lemon sauce for dessert. Place a cup of scrapes of any type or a mix of different cups in a small desert bowl and then drizzle with 2 tablespoons of lemon juice and a tablespoon of honey. If you want to up the protein content of this dessert, you can sprinkle it with sliced almonds.
- 17For a low-fat alcoholic treat, make a frozen grape cocktail. Freeze a cup of pureed grapes in an ice cube tray overnight and then deposit two cubes in each wine glass. Fill with a high quality sparkling white wine or champagne in and serve garnished with grapes
Tips and Tricks
- If you want to limit your sugar content while eating grapes to lose weight then keep in mind that blue-black grapes are the least sweet, green grapes are medium sweet and red grapes are super sweet.
- Choose grapes that are ripe because they will have the highest concentration of antioxidants in their flesh
- When shopping for grapes, try to buy organic because farmed grapes tend to be sprayed with pesticide
- The slightly white powder stain on the skin of grapes is called "the bloom" and not necessarily evidence of pesticide contamination, but be sure to wash your grapes thoroughly with hot and then cold water to make sure
- Store grapes in a paper towel and place in an airtight container to keep ready to eat for five days
- Before freezing grapes make sure they are dry or they will stick together in one big clump
- Don't be tempted to sneak in a protein or carbs, such as crackers and cheese while on the grape cleanse diet or you will trigger a slew of cravings for even more carbohydrates
- It is normal to experience a bit of a headache while you are on a grapes only diet, due to the detoxification effect of grapes on the system
Crash diets that involve a fair amount of fasting or eating only one food, such as the *The cleansing grape diet can also be done for three days or even just one day, but the resulting weight loss will be a lot less and although you might be tempted to do it
- While on a calorie restricted diet note that it can be dangerous physically exert yourself by exercising very hard as your body will simply not have the calories to enable you to get through it without feeling very unwell and fatigued
- Although raisins are made from grapes, the drying process increases their sugar content and decreases their antioxidant content, raising their caloric value and making them unsuitable as a weight loss food
- Although wine is made from grapes and red wine definitely contains resveratrol, which assists with the health of your cells, you should avoid drinking either while on a grape weight loss and detox cleanse as the result will be a sharp rise in blood sugar, headaches, and possible sudden weight gain
Categories : Weight Loss
Recent edits by: Eng, Donna