Lose Weight by Eating Chinese Food
Edited by Donna, Eng, Alma
Chinese food is generally rich in sodium, sugar, carbs and saturated fat so it is not usually recommended in weight loss plans. However, there are reasons that so many individuals in China are slim despite this fatty diet, and it has a lot to do with choosing the right dishes and making certain lifestyle choices.
By sticking to the following plan, you could still lose two pounds a week by eating Chinese.
- 1In a single day, most people eat well over that, close to 3000 calories a day. Refer to the list below, Chinese Food Dishes That Are Less Than 500 Calories or less, to create a meal that is one or more dishes and the list Multiple Ingredient Chinese Food Dishes That Are 1000 calories or less, that you can eat half of for lunch or the other half for dinner (or even the next day).Decide that you will eat 1000 calories or less of Chinese food a day for lunch or dinner for the duration of your diet and that you will have a non-Asian breakfast that is 500 calories.
- 2As Chinese food is not that high in protein, try to include eggs, oatmeal and other foods that are high in protein. This will help cut any cravings for snacks for the rest of the day. Refer to the list below called Healthy Breakfasts Under 400 calories.Start your day off with a breakfast that is under 400 calories.
- 3An example would be a deep-fried spring roll, which is vegetarian and 147 calories. This would up your total caloric intake to about 1500 to 1600 calories a day, but you could still lose about two pounds a week, especially if you exercise every day.For a snack, you get away with one Chinese food snack that is 200 calories or less a day.
- 4One apple a day has about 80 calories, a broad spectrum of vitamins and minerals, protein and a great deal of fiber.You are allowed an apple a day as a snack.
- 5Half of a broiled grapefruit is between 20 and 35 calories depending on its size. Grapefruits are also rich in chromium, which help regulate your blood sugar.You may have half of a raw or broiled grapefruit as a snack.
- 6Green tea contains antioxidants and polyphenols that trigger fast weight loss. Green tea is also a powerful diuretic, helping to flush sodium and fat out of your body.Drink as much green tea as you like on this diet.
- 7This is because Chinese food can contain a great deal of sodium that needs to be flushed out of your body. Be aware that if kidney problems or water retention is an issue for you that this may not be the best diet plan for you.Drink a great deal of water when you are on this diet, at least ten glasses a day.
Healthy Breakfasts That Are 400 Calories And Under
Start your day off with any of these healthy protein-rich breakfasts calories, which are 400 calories or under. These are all very filling recipes, which should assist you with eating second and third helpings of Chinese food later in the day, because you will be filling very full.
- 1In a blender, mix together a cup of plain Greek yogurt, a cup of your choice of frozen berries, a half of a cup of organic orange juice (with no sugar added), a tablespoon of raw oatmeal, a drizzle of honey and a cup of ice. Whirl until smooth and drink. You can use any type of berry that you want in this smoothie. Strawberry, cherries, blueberries, blackberries, cranberries and raspberries are all good choices. This smoothie is very rich in Vitamin C, which fights inflammation and insulin resistance and it is also very rich in protein.Make a Banana, Berry and Oatmeal smoothie at 200 calories per 8-ounce serving.
- 2Combine two eggs, _ cup of salsa and _ cup of low-fat shredded cheese in a microwave-safe bowl. Whip everything together with a tablespoon of milk and microwave for one minute. Spoon the mixture into a whole wheat tortilla and top with the cheese and a dash of hot sauce and fold it up. The eggs and cheese supply you with a great source of protein that helps beat mid-morning cravings and the salsa and hot sauce help stimulate your circulation and metabolism.Make a fast spicy egg, salsa and cheese burrito at 360 calories per burrito.
- 3The cheese in the omelette contains butyrate, which is a metabolism booster that also keeps you in a good mood. The toast is a great source of B-vitamins and fiber and the eggs are a great source of protein, to help give you energy and cut cravings for snacks during the day.Have a spinach, tomato and low-fat mozzarella omelette made with two eggs along with two slices of unbutttered whole wheat toast for a total calorie count of 390 calories.
- 4Spread a smaller toasted raisin bagel with two tablespoons of light cream cheese. Both the bagel and the cream cheese are a good source of B vitamins and protein, that can help keep you going all day. This is a very filling breakfast that can cut cravings for a mid-morning snack.Have a raisin bagel spread with cream cheese at 400 calories.
- 5Toast two whole grain waffles and top with _ cup of plain yogurt and then top with a tablespoon of slivered almonds and 1/34 cup of berries (such as raspberries, blueberries, strawberries or blackberries.) Top with a drizzle of maple syrup that is not more than half of a teaspoon. The waffles and yogurt are a good source of protein and the berries supply Vitamin C, which fights inflammation and helps with weight loss.Have a frozen whole-wheat waffle topped with fruit yogurt and almonds at 400 calories.
- 6Layer your favorite fruit with half a cup of sugar-free yogurt and sprinkle a tablespoon of granola on top. Add a pinch of cinnamon to stimulate your circulation and boost your breakfast's fat-burning ability. You can use any fruit that you like, but great suggestions are raw or frozen pineapple, blueberries, strawberries, cherries, mango, peaches or honeydew melon.Have a fruit, yogurt and granola parfait at 400 calories per cup.
- 7The nut butter supplies you with the protein that you need to get through the day and the blueberries are rich in Vitamin C. The banana contains potassium, which helps prevent the bloating that is caused by eating high-sodium Chinese food.Have an English muffin with one tablespoon of peanut butter, with one small banana and a handful of blueberries for a total calorie count of 400 calories.
Chinese Food Dishes That Are Less Than 500 Calories
The idea here is to pair one, two, or three dishes to make a lunch and dinner that adds up to be less than 1000 calories or a single meal that is less than 500 calories.
- 1This is a vegetarian dish that consists of steamed vegetables, usually snap peas, asparagus, black mushrooms, baby corn, carrots and fiber. It is full of fiber and a broad spectrum of vitamins that help support weight loss.Have a full carton of Buddha's feast at 220 calories per serving.
- 2The tofu is a good source of protein and the vegetables provide vitamins and fiber. If you are experiencing weight gain due to hormonal issues avoid dishes like this with soy as they can cause the pounds to pile on.Have a full carton of Five Spice Tofu With Vegetables at 230 calories per serving.
- 3This dish consists of stir-fried chicken, white button mushrooms, carrots, snow peas and water chestnuts. The vegetables in this dish supply you with antioxidants and large amounts of Vitamin A, which supports the health of your liver.Have a whole order of Moo Goo Gai Pan at 300 calories per serving.
- 4The pork is a good source of protein and the dish is sweet, which can help curb cravings for sugar. Be aware that this dish is not the best one for people with blood sugar or bloating issues as it is higher in sodium and sugar than most.Have a cup of Sweet and Sour Pork with a half cup of steamed rice at 360 calories a serving.
- 5You can also request that the chicken be stir-fried with less oil if possible. The snow peas are a great source of fiber and the chicken supplies you with the protein that you need to sustain your energy all day.Have a whole order of Chicken with Snow peas at 400 calories per serving.
- 6Shrimp and lobster are rich in chromium, which helps control blood sugar and this dish is also a great source of protein and essential fatty acids.Have an order of Shrimp With Lobster Sauce at 450 calories per serving.
- 7Season with just a touch of soy and add spicy sesame chili oil to the mix to increase the meal's fat-burning capability.Have six Steamed Pork dumplings at exactly 500 calories.
Multiple Ingredient Chinese Food Dishes That Are Less Than 1000 Calories
Some Chinese Food dishes are complete meals in themselves and can be split in half and eaten for both lunch and dinner or a half-portion can be eaten the next day and count as being 500 calories or less. Many are very nutritious but they are higher in calories because they often have a noodle component or deep fried batter on the meat.
- 1This dish is usually about 900 calories. If you can, order extra vegetables to help slow down a glycemic effect and prevent your blood sugar from rising. The nutritional benefits of this dish include getting a wide array of antioxidants from the peppers, green beans, Chinese broccoli, bean sprouts, carrots, celery and onion that are typically part of this dish. This is also a good choice to have if you are a vegetarian.Have half of a portion of Vegetable Lo Mien, at 450 calories.
Chinese Snacks and Appetizers That Are Less Than 200 Calories
You will still lose weight if you eat one of these foods as a snack or appetizer and only if you have just one of these choices once a day.
- 1This very light meal consists of beaten eggs, bok choy or broccoli, scallions and tofu in boiled chicken broth. There is a lot of protein and fiber in this soup, which helps curb cravings and helps you feel full. You could eat two cups of this soup and still be sticking to your diet by only consuming 132 calories.Have a cup of Chinese Egg Drop soup at 66 calories per serving.
- 2You can pat the spring roll free of oil to reduce the chance of eating. You can dress it with a tablespoon of low-sodium soy sauce, which is about five calories. Avoid plum sauce, which is 35 calories per tablespoon.Have a Vegetarian Deep Fried Spring Roll at 147 calories per serving.
- 3Just one Sui Mai, which is a pork and prawn dumpling, is only 60 calories, so if you are not that hungry, just have one or two of them.Have three Sui Mai dumplings at 180 calories per three dumplings.
- 4This soup is very hydrating and nourishing as it is usually made from bone broth, which strengthens your joints and and makes it easier for you to lose weight by exercising.Have a Wonton Soup at 180 calories per cup.
- 5You may season these with chili sauce and soya sauce to make a tasty treat. The pork is a source of salty protein that can help curb hunger.Have Two Steamed Pork Dumplings at 190 calories per serving.
- 6The chicken and the bean sprouts in the egg roll are good sources of B vitamins and protein. You can season the egg roll with soy sauce and a dash of hot chili sesame oil. The chili oil is a natural fat-burning substance that can help you get the pounds off.Have one Chicken Egg Roll at 195 calories without the plum sauce.
- 7This is the snack to have if you want a more substantial treat. The string beans fill you up very fast because they are full of fiber.Have a carton of Chinese String Beans With Chicken at 200 calories per serving.
Tips and Tricks
- You can go ahead and have one Chinese Fortune cookie for dessert as it is only 25 calories.
- Be aware that this diet works best if you adhere very strictly to the calorie counts, and that this can be difficult because eating Chinese food is known for triggering cravings for more of it after you eat it
- Choose steamed rice instead of fried rice, unless you are eating the fried rice as a meal in itself as the fried version is cooked in oil
- If you are eating a deep-fried item, such as as a spring roll, you can lessen it's calorie load by dabbing it dry of grease or oil with a clean paper towel
- Ordering any dish with half of the sauce can help cut hundreds of calories from it, as it is the starch, sugar and sodium in the sauces that have the most potential to trigger weight gain.
- If the restaurant has the option of steaming your food, rather than frying it, then ask for it to eliminate hundreds of calories
- Ask for meats to be unbreaded, if the option is available, and save calories that way
- Ask for extra vegetables when ordering Chinese food to up the fiber and vitamin content of the meal
- Practice portion control by eating only the portion that you are allowed and avoid having seconds
- Eat slowly, as this helps you feel fuller faster
- Roll over any leftovers from the previous day and save the for meals the next day
- Consult with your physician before going on a high sodium diet like this, especially if you have Type II diabetes or kidney problems.