Lose Weight After Age 40 By Adopting An Exercise Regimen vs Making Lifestyle Changes
Edited by Donna, Eng, Alma
It becomes harder to lose weight as you age, and most people do not really know that they are packing on the pounds until they are in the forties.
Both men and women can find it harder to lose weight after the age of 40 because:
- They failed to address the weight gain or insulin resistance that started occurring in their thirties.
- By age 40, your metabolism may begin to slow down, by as much as 30%, but you might not start to notice this until you are gaining about a pound a month, even though you are dieting as usual
- Many women are already in peri-menopause at age 40 and may even be in very early menopause, which means that hormones are beginning to interfere with the efficiency of the endocrine system, which in turn causes and weight gain
- Many men find it harder to produce more fat burning muscle as they age, and this in itself causes them to burn fewer calories when their boy is at rest
- The metabolism stops storing carbs as fuel and starts packing it on your belly and hips as fat, especially if you were not that attentive to lifestyle and diet choices in your twenties and thirties
- Joint and muscle pain, the result of weight gain, can have you exercising less and gaining more weight than usual
- Many people over age 40 have led a sedentary lifestyle that has included a lot of TV watching, mindless snacking and working at desk jobs, which causes weight gain
- If you have a genetic tendency to obesity, you may start to show it around the age of 40
- Environmental pollution is on the rise, with most people over the age of 40 being exposed to water, food, and air that causes weight gain due to infections, chronic poisoning from chemicals and additives in food and from plastic items in our environment
Here are some ways to fight the ravages of time and lose weight after the age 10:
- 1You can use a fit bit or the free calorie counting gadget at [www.myfitnesspal.com My Fitness Pal] to determine how many calories you are taking in a day by looking up the calorie count of foods in their database. You can also keep track of how many calories you expend a day, to ensure that you are spending more calories than you take in. Keeping yourself in a calorie deficit of 100 to 200 calories a week is how to ensure you will lose two pounds a week.Try to keep yourself to an intake of 1500 calories a day.Advertisement
- 2Stop putting it in your tea and coffee and stop consuming it in colas, baked goods, and other treats. Read all ingredient labels to make sure that you are not accidentally consuming it in other forms such as glucose, fructose, and sucrose if you need a sugar substitute go for sugar substitutes such as stevia or TruviaCompletely eliminate all added sugar from your diet.Advertisement
- 3Sweeteners to avoid are Equal, Sunett, Sweet One, SugarTwin, Sweet' N Low and Splenda). These sweeteners cause obesity and cancer and can make water retention, insulin resistance and fatty liver disease even worse.Do not use artificial sweeteners to replace sugar.
- 4Junk food, including fast food, contains everything metabolism stalling ingredients such as sodium, saturated fat, sugar, and starch. Junk food is usually very high in calories. For instance, A Big Mac Meal with a medium fries and medium coke is 1,120 calories, which is almost your entire calorie entitlement for the whole day.Stay away from all junk food and fast-food.
- 5Begin by putting aside the salt shaker and avoiding junk food, like the Big Mac Meal with fries, that contains 1240 mg of sodium. You should also avoid using salt substitutes as most of them still contain enough sodium to cause bloating.Lower your sodium intake to 1600 milligrams a day and if you are eating more than 2300 mg a day you need to cut back.
- 6These foods turn immediately into sugar when you ingest them and cause insulin resistance, a condition that leads to weight gain.Avoid eating bread, pasta, white rice and potatoes which are foods that impact your blood sugar levels and cause weight gain.
- 7Healthy fat is found in olive oil, coconut oil, and canola oil. They are also found in eggs, avocados, shellfish, salmon and nuts.Be sure to eat a diet that contains healthy fats and avoid saturated fats.
Method 1: By Adopting An Exercise Regimen
- 1Pilates and circuit training are also great for people in their forties. Using dumbbells, rowing or using pulleys can help you build fat-burning muscle. This will help you replace any muscle you have lost due to natural aging and help you build the kind of muscle you need to burn fat even while you are at rest.Begin an exercise regimen that includes weightlifting for at least forty minutes at least three times a week.
- 2Swimming laps is a great aerobic activity that can help you burn fat fast. Some aqua-fit classes also contain elements of stretching and mild resistance that are very good for building lean muscle and encouraging your body to detoxifyGo for a swim or to aqua-fit at least three times a week.
- 3People over forty who do this are less stressed and less likely to binge eat.Go for a walk or bike ride for at least an hour every day.
- 4Some people start gaining weight around the age of forty because they have weaker stomach acid. Food is not properly digesting, causing all kinds of issues with bloating and weight gain.Take 50 mcg of digestive enzymes before each meal.
Method 2: By Making Lifestyle Changes
- 1Water helps your body flush out fat and toxins as well reduce the bloating that can make your abdomen appear flabby.Drink at least ten glasses of pure vapor distilled water a day to help cleanse your system and make you feel full.Advertisement
- 2This type of chocolate is rich in polyphenols, which can help support the health of your liver and pancreas and help your body manage its blood sugar. Choose a brand that contains at least 70% of cocoa.Stay away from rich desserts and eat gourmet chocolate bars instead.
- 3People are often laid off, divorced or saddled with more responsibilities at work. These factors alone can cause hormonal imbalances that provoke weight gain.Learn how to manage stress more effectively.
- 4Most people find that is harder to get the rest you need, starting at age forty. Free your bed of all electronic devices, such as laptops and cell phones and try not to fall asleep while watching television. You might also find it easier to get all of the sleep you need if you can manage to go to bed at the same time every night and get up at the same time every day.Get at least eight hours of sleep at night or more.
Tips and Tricks
- If you experience fast weight gain for no reason (as in two pounds or more a month) go immediately to the doctor as this is an indication of insulin resistance and Type 2 Diabetes
- Avoid crash dieting in your forties as that usually leads to rebound weight gain that has you packing on the lost pounds and more
Categories : Weight Loss
Recent edits by: Eng, Donna