Learn Yoga with the Mountain Pose
Edited by HealthNut, Eng, VisiHow
Sometimes known as the Tandasana or Samasthiti, the Mountain Pose is a standing pose. We use this pose to strengthen the ankle, thigh and knee. The pose can differ slightly depending on the branch of yoga you choose to follow. This pose is the foundation of all standing postures in yoga, and it can help improve your stability, confidence and general posture. Keep reading for step-by-step instructions on how to do this pose.
Equipment You Will Need
- The Mountain Pose can be performed without a yoga mat; however, you can use one if you prefer.
- Some stretchy yoga trousers
The Mountain Pose - Step-by-Step
- 1Follow our guide on how to warm up for yoga.Advertisement
- 2To start, bring your feet together or have them hip-width apart and parallel. Lift your toes, spreading them wide before putting them back on the floor. Ensure that your weight is balanced and that you're not leaning forward or back.Advertisement
- 3Next, pull up on your kneecaps, squeeze your thighs and try to tuck your coccyx slightly. Make sure your hips are in line with your ankles, your legs are straight and your knees are not locked.
- 4Breathe in and lift your waist upwards, pushing the top of your head towards the ceiling. This should straighten your spine.
- 5Breathe out and drop your shoulders down and back, pushing your fingertips towards the floor. Push out your chest and collarbones towards the front.
- 8Breathe and hold your breath for 4-8 breaths.
- 10Remember to cool down. Instructions and tips can be found in our article on cooling down after practicing yoga.
Variations on this pose
There are a few variations to this pose: most concern the placement of the hands. Some versions have interlacing fingers with the index finger pointing upwards or with your arms down by your sides resting against your thighs. In the Equal Standing Pose, or Samasthiti you keep your palms together in front of your heart.
See our other tutorials on exercises: Learn Yoga with the Tree Pose, Learn Yoga with the Childs Pose, Learn Yoga with the Downward Dog, Build Better Glutes Using an Exercise Ball, Build Better Glutes at Home with 4 Simple Exercises, Activate Glutes with Simple Exercises, and Properly Stretch Your Lower Body.