Learn About Fibromyalgia and How to Deal With It
Edited by Debbie, Eng, Maria Sharon Ubando, Rebecca M. and 2 others
Are you in pain constantly? Do you feel tired all the time? Do you feel stiff in the morning? Do you have trouble remembering things that you used to? This could be a few signs of Fibromyalgia. Is it possible you may have it? Or a friend? What can be done about it? First of all, you would want to make sure you understand this disorder. Next, you want to know how to deal with it.
It has been said that people with Fibromyalgia have depression and high anxiety issues, which is a result of trying to deal with the pain. While it has not been proven that Fibromyalgia is hereditary, other family members have been known to have it. Fibromyalgia can be aggravated by putting too much exertion on the body, cold weather, and stress. Fibromyalgia is not known to be a life threatening disease, or to be crippling but it affects millions of people around the world. The disorder hits both sexes but the probability on women is higher. Doctors still are not sure why it is more common among women.
People do take medication for their pain, and other treatments. Normally if a sufferer takes medications for a long period of time, they are able to get good results. For some though, prolonged usage of the medication makes it lose its effectiveness over time, as the body becomes immune to it. There is also the possibility of getting addicted to a drug, so it is best to see a doctor.
Many have questioned whether acupuncture, a chiropractor or the use of herbs would help. There have been some people who claimed that these things have improved FMS, while others have said it did not help. This is because people suffer from different levels of FMS.
Ways to Ease the Pain of FMS
- 1If you can't exercise for 20 or 30 minutes, a shorter walk each day can benefit you.Exercise.
- 2Physical therapists can show people how to lessen their pain and improve strength.Physical Therapy.
- 3This can help you to relax, and get rid of stiffness.Massage Therapy.
- 4Get professional help. This will teach you guaranteed ways to manage the pains of FMS and all the other things that go with the disorder.Stress Management Classes.
- 5You may want to ask your doctor first if this is safe for you.Acupuncture/Acupressure.
How to Help Someone You Know Suffering from FMS
- 1Sufferers have sleeping disorders. You can help by making sure they take enough sleep. Try to keep the home free form any noise or distractions while they sleep.Let them sleep well.
- 2Exercising is known to help FMS sufferers. If they have lost interest in activities, encourage them. You can also go ahead and exercise with them. This way, it would make them feel they are not alone.Encourage them to work out.
- 3Understand how they feel. Nobody wants to be in such a position. if they suddenly change how they treat you, remember that it is not by intention.Support.
Other Signs and Symptoms of FMS
- Fatigue. This is the most common symptom felt by FMS sufferers. They feel unreasonably tired early in the morning and evening, even after a long sleep. Their feeling of tiredness can affect their work and other physical activities.
- depression and anxiety
- hair loss
- heart palpitations
- constipation or diarrhea
- dry mouth
- sleep disturbance
Yes, Fibromyalgia is not easy to live with, but through self management, knowledge and exercise, you can control your Fibromyalgia instead of letting it control you!
Tips Tricks & Warnings
Recent edits by: Lynn, Rebecca M., Maria Sharon Ubando