Improve Your Small Flat
Edited by estrella sacragon, Robbi, Nuance, VC
Are you lacking space in your apartment? If the answer is yes, this is the right time for you to know some excellent suggestions to avoid clutter.
They say that the human eye measures size relatively in terms and this actually works in your favor especially when you perform a few improvements on your small apartment to make it look bigger. With just a couple of visual tricks, you can achieve a space that feels wider, loftier, and roomier.
While you are adding some interesting touches to your small space, why not think outside of the box and adorn your small flat in unexpected but cool ways like turning your dining area into a library. There are a lot of ways to add a spin to your small apartment to make it look bigger. Here are some of them.
How to Improve Your Small Flat
Color and the Lighting
When you try to decorate your small apartment to make appear bigger, create a pale canvass.
- 1Light colors. Consider having light colors around your place because these colors can trick the human eye into seeing larger spaces.Advertisement
- 2Neutral Tones. Go for earthy and sandy tones for your walls and continue these colors throughout the entire apartment.Advertisement
- 3Continuous color. If the area is open, absolutely continue the same color throughout. This will make it look so much bigger. You might decide to paint one wall in a room a contrasting color, but make sure it's a wall that can't be seen from the other room/rooms. This is assuming it's the kitchen/living room or kitchen/living-dining room.
- 4Eliminate shadows. Regarding lighting - a tiny room can look bigger when there is an absence of shadow. Think of light in your apartment as a design.
- Try decorating your apartment with much light, day or night.
- Choose to go for light colors for your roman blinds so that sunlight can easily penetrate through the blinds even if the blinds are lowered.
- Placing lamps strategically - making sure every corner of your apartment has light.
- You can go for white light bulbs, which will make your place seem bigger, but at the same time, colder. Light bulbs with a bit of amber create a beautiful cozy ambiance.
Decorate Proportionally. Since dimension is important for the eye of the beholder, try decorating your small abode by choosing smaller pieces of furniture. Make sure that you spaciously spread them in every room. For example:
- 1Choose two small arm chairs instead of a huge sofa.
- 2Choose a rocking chair in place of a wingback chair.
- 3Ottomans are great alternatives for coffee tables.
Bring the Outside Inside
Decorating your small apartment with lots of greens can also do the trick. We all know that plants are generally found outdoors, but bringing them inside can visually increase the size of your apartment.
- 1Bringing plants indoors can create an illusion the room is larger than it is. Ficus or palms are ideal additions you can place by the window of your living room.
- 2You may also go for a hanging herb garden over your kitchen sink or keep a floral plant on your foyer table.
- 3If you have a window that look out on greenery or a garden, placing plants near that window will work to extend your room into the garden. It's a beautiful effect. You can get this by adding a window box to the outside of the window you'll be placing plants near, or on the windowsill of.
Other Quick Fixes
Multitask your Decorating. Your creative juices can help improve the look of your small apartment.
- 2Instead of coffee tables, go for a chest that also makes a good place to store out-of-season clothing, extra bedding, collectables and memorabilia.
- 3Hanging mirrors in key places is also effective because the reflection can create a duplicate of both the light and space of your apartment.
Categories : Interior Decorating
Recent edits by: Nuance, Robbi, estrella sacragon