Identify a Genuine/Original Versus a Fake/Cloned Samsung Galaxy Phone
Edited by Leomar Umpad, Maria Quinney, faith, Dougie and 32 others
The Samsung Galaxy line of phones is one of the most popular lines on the market. Every year, Samsung introduces a brand new Galaxy phone that pushes the boundaries of high-end devices. This is one of the biggest reasons shady phone manufacturers are always ready to create replicas and cloned Galaxy phones that look like the original ones: they're incredibly popular and very much in demand. Unlike iPhones that run on Apple's proprietary iOS software, Samsung Galaxy phones run on Google's open Android operating system, making it easier and cheaper for cloning manufacturers to produce fakes - and harder for consumers to distinguish between a genuine model and a fake one.
- 1 Determining Fake Galaxy Phones from Genuine Ones
- 2 Additional Tips to Avoid Buying a Fake Phone
- 3 using an app
- 4 Steps
- 5 Video: Identify a Genuine/Original Versus a Fake/Cloned Samsung Galaxy Phone using an app
- 6 Questions and Answers
- 6.1 Fake, clone or genuine by picture, please?
- 6.2 I wanted to buy an S4 but scared that I might have gotten a clone!
- 6.3 How to check genuine Samsung Galaxy S4?
- 6.4 My phone is GT-I9060, I can't identify if it is real or not?
- 6.5 On the back of my phone, it says 'Made In Korea by Samsung" while my mom's phone which also has a better camera MP says MADE IN Vietnam!
- 6.6 How about the code *#66# to find the IMEI? That is what a seller is telling me to do?
- 6.7 My mobile 7&8 numbers are 06, according to original codes 06 figure belong to made in China, Hong Kong or Mexico. I want to know in which country it is made, moreover, on the inner side of the mobile it is written made by Vietnam. Please clarify
- 6.8 Samsung Galaxy S3, Original or fake? how would I know that it is original?
- 6.9 About my S4. is it fake because my camera resolution is very low and internal storage is 16GB which is almost empty but on downloading an app it reads insufficient storage?
- 6.10 Code to know whether it is an original or fake Samsung?
- 6.11 I have a Samsung Tab 4 10.1 and I just got it. I want to know if it is real?
- 6.12 Distinguishing between Note3 original versus cloned?
- 6.13 What is the manufacturing country of Samsung Galaxy Core i8262?
- 6.14 My Samsung N5100 software is not upgrading, others upgrade?
- 6.15 I have a fake Galaxy S5. Do Chinese phones have codes to see some details of the device?
- 6.16 I want to install an anti theft security so that if there is a SIM change, I would be informed?
- 6.17 What kinds of components do not match with the original?
- 6.18 Do I know by dial *#0*# only orginal sumsung mobile?
- 6.19 When you say battery specifications are not the same what do you mean?
- 7 Comments
Determining Fake Galaxy Phones from Genuine Ones
Did you just buy a new Galaxy Note3 and now have doubts about its authenticity? Got a very cheap deal online for a Galaxy S4 or a Galaxy Tab and now suffer from a bit of buyer's remorse? We have several ways of discerning a fake device from a real one, and these will be detailed in the sections below:
Spot a Fake Galaxy Phone Through Physical Checks
Most of the cloned phones available today are built so cheaply that their materials and craftsmanship reflect the amount of money invested in them. When compared to the original, these fake devices can be spotted easily by checking the following physical features. Note that if you are not familiar with the genuine item's physical appearance, you may need to borrow one from a friend and put the two devices side by side.
- 1The screen is made of cheap glass material.Advertisement
- 2(Cloned phones have a wide gap between the edge of the screen and the edge of the phone).The screen is too far from the edge.Advertisement
- 3The screen is not as bright and vibrant as the original device.
- 4Some of the sensors are not available.
- 5The Home button is not located in the exact same spot as the one on the genuine item.
- 6The Samsung logos are not smoothed out and can be felt; rubbing it will also remove the logo.
- 7The device's proportions different than that of the genuine product.
- 8Gaps between parts like the home, power, and volume buttons are obvious.
- 9When the battery cover is opened, some of the small components do not match with the original ones.
- 10The phone does not have a seal from the National Communications Agency or an equivalent agency in your country.
- 11The battery specifications are not the same.
Spot a Cloned Galaxy Phone by Checking Performance
Some Galaxy knock-offs are detailed enough to look like the legitimate product. Here are some of the things that you need to check to discern the real one from the fakes.
- 1Knock-offs generally take pictures at a lower resolution and quality.Take some pictures using the device's camera.
- 3Knock-offs are not designed to be super-responsive, so stutters and other freezes are commonplace.Quickly flip through pages on the application menu, perform gestures at a fast rate and observe how the device reacts.
- 4Fake devices tend to start very slowly compared to real Galaxy phones.Turn the device on and off.
Identify If Your Galaxy Device Is an Imitation by Using Samsung Codes
Aside from the physical aspects of the phone and the way it performs, you can also identify if it is a legit Samsung device by using Samsung codes. Samsung codes are a combination of numbers and symbols that, when entered, will allow you to do some tests on your phone, perform device checks, and access other developer tasks and options. Below are the most common Samsung codes; to enter them, go to your dialer application and dial these codes, and then press the "Call" button. If the device responds to the command, then it is genuine. If it does not, then it is a fake version.
- 1Knowing SW Version, PDA, CSC, and Modem - *#1234# or *#9999#
- 2Samsung SW & HW Info - *#12580*369#
- 3Samsung General Test mode - *#0*#
- 4Samsung Service Mode - *#197328640#
- 5Samsung ADC Reading - *#0228#
- 6Samsung Bluetooth Test Mode - *#232331# or #7828#
- 7Samsung Bluetooth Address - *#232337#
- 8Samsung Ciphering Information - *#32489#
- 9Samsung Battery Status/Memory - *#9998*246#
If none of these codes work, call Samsung and provide them with the serial number and IMEI number of your phone in order to verify if your phone is genuine. If the numbers your serial and IMEI numbers are not in their system, then it is a fake.
Spot a Fake Phone Through the Phone Specifications
You can determine a fake Samsung Galaxy device by looking into its phone specifications. To check your device's specifications, follow this step-by-step guide:
- 1Go to your "Home" menu and tap the "Apps" icon.
- 2From the Application menu, locate "Settings", and tap on it to open.
- 3In "Settings", tap on the "More" tab to view additional settings.
- 4The Samsung Galaxy S4 comes with three tiers of device storage: 16GB, 32GB, and 64GB; less the pre-installed applications, a Samsung Galaxy S4 will have about 9GB, 25GB, and 57GB of usable space, respectively. If your device has a very low amount of usable space when compared to the original specs, then it may be a fake device.Tap on "Storage" to see your device's available storage.
- 5Check the model number, baseband and kernel version, and the build number. Do a quick Google search for those values; results should show if the device is genuine or not.Tap on "About device" to see your device's details.
- Note: If you are not familiar with the Galaxy Device's specs, you may learn more by viewing this list of Samsung Galaxy Smartphones from Samsung's official site. You can also check on GSMArena's list of all Samsung phones, where you can individually click to see each phone's specs.
Galaxy Phone Authenticity Check Using Samsung Kies
You can use Samsung Kies to detect the authenticity of your device. If you are having a hard time recognizing a fake device through the physical signs and overall performance, then Kies will do the job for you. Simply plug the Galaxy device into a computer with Kies, and see how the software recognizes the device. Follow these steps for detailed instructions:
- 1Once it's downloaded, install Kies to your computer.If you do not have the Kies software on your computer yet, then download Samsung Kies from Samsung's official site.
- 4If the same thing happens, then the device is not an official Samsung product.If Samsung Kies fails to recognize the device, restart both your computer and your phone, and do the process again.
Additional Tips to Avoid Buying a Fake Phone
Aside from inspecting the phone, be sure to check out these additional tips to make sure you won't be fooled into buying a fake.
- 1Only buy from an authorized seller.Advertisement
- 2You can and should always check the users' feedback and ratings.When purchasing online at sites like eBay or Amazon, make sure that you are negotiating with a seller with a good reputation.
- 3If you are buying a newly-announced device, never expect it to be heavily discounted.
- 4Pay only through reliable modes of payment, like credit card transactions or Paypal.
How to Identify A Fake Samsung Galaxy Phone. 2013.  (accessed February 16, 2014)
Need a Samsung USB Jig? Build Your Own. 2012.  (accessed February 16, 2014)
Real vs. Fake Samsung Galaxy S4. 2013.  (accessed February 16, 2014)
Note3 models/frequencies/forums and how to spot a FAKE / CLONE. 2013.  (accessed February 16, 2014)
using an app
I would like to thank ILuvTrading for the awesome video on how to tell if your Galaxy S3, S4, S5, S6 or Note (2,3,4,5) is fake or real. I organized it into a wiki for anyone with a hearing impairment, or for those who just prefer to read the steps. Hope you enjoy it. :)
- 1This is an S3, and today I almost bought a Galaxy S4, and I found out that it was a fake, it was a good thing as I wouldn't like to through away like 450$. the guy that I was going to buy the S4 from, he said that it is an international phone and that he bought it from Hong Kong, so he was pretty sure that it was real, but it came up fake. So what we will do is to go to Go to Apps store and look for this one program actually, there are a lot of them here, but I will show you the one that I used. In the Apps store, go to the search on the top and type "Fake S3".Hi guys, so how do you tell if your Galaxy S3, S4 or Note is a fake.
- 5However, my one friend it came out as fake, and it was a Galaxy S4 that he bought off eBay. So this is a Galaxy S4, and after running the application, it gave a message, that says " I am afraid you are not using a Galaxy S4. It is a message in red but unfortunately, it is not clear, this is a fake one.I had some other friends that had some real phones from the US, an S4 that came out as genuine.
Video: Identify a Genuine/Original Versus a Fake/Cloned Samsung Galaxy Phone using an app
Questions and Answers
Fake, clone or genuine by picture, please?
I use Root app, so spreadturm, MediaTek with Samsung "CPU MTK65xx"
Even if you have the pictures of a fake, clone, and genuine Samsung devices, it remains to be difficult to spot the real one compared to most fake ones these days. The imitators are becoming better and better. However, in order to make sure that you are not actually purchasing a fake one, just buy from the official Samsung stores. You also get good service for repairs and things like that. It may be more expensive compared to buying elsewhere, but at least you are guaranteed that you are getting a good product.
I wanted to buy an S4 but scared that I might have gotten a clone!
Whats the best and easiest way to verify that it's an original
There are some helpful ways that you can view if the device is, in fact, a clone rather than being the real version of the Samsung Galaxy S4. Below are several things I can point out to help you not to buy a cloned version of the S4:
-The menu button is not centered and looks imbalanced
-The screen does not stretch out fully leaving a gap between the screen and the edge of the phone horizontally
-The built in codes will not work on the device
an example is for you to enter the code- *#1234# by pressing this into the dialer the software will pop up on the phone if it is the real device
How to check genuine Samsung Galaxy S4?
How to check genuine Samsung Galaxy S4
First off, the real or genuine Samsung Galaxy S4 is priced at 9 or so and not from 0 or less like the knock-offs. It is also more compact, lightweight, and has a wide 5-inch screen in contrast to the heavier clone. You can always check if it has a warranty card and manual to know if you have got the real one. To check if it's real, It might also have a lower OS version like Ice Cream Sandwich than the original. Also, smart features and camera options like face recognition and Smart Stay might not be available for clones which can only be found in the authentic Samsung Galaxy S4/ Here are some tips to check for yourself if you have got the real Samsung Galaxy S4 before making the purchase:
- Try to enter * # 1234 # on the phone to check on the computer software which should display i9500 or I9505.
- If the Kies cannot detect your phone if you connect it to your computer, then it's a fake.
- You can also verify and check on the IMEI by simply dialing * # 06 #.
- The terminal numbers should match the label found on the battery.
See more questions like this: How to check original sumsung galaxy by using *#0*#?
My phone is GT-I9060, I can't identify if it is real or not?
I have done everything I can think of to find out whether my GT-I9060 is real or not, but I can't figure it out. What can I do?
There are many ways to spot a fake Samsung Galaxy phone. However, using the Samsung hardware codes is the fastest and most accurate way to identify your phone. This method is very easy to use; you'll just need to dial the code in your Galaxy Neo dial pad. Once you dial, if the phone responds to your command, it's genuine. However, if your phone is showing you the 'Invalid MMI code' error, it's probably a clone.
Some of the most common codes include:
- 1*#06#The IMEI code:
- 2*#1234#Firmware version:
- 3*#*#1472365#*#*GPS test settings:
- 4*#*#197328640#*#*Service mode:
- 5*#232338#WLAN Mac address:
- 6*#0*#Samsung test mode:
- 7*#12580369#Software and hardware info:
- 8*#0673#Audio test mode:
- 9*#232337#Bluetooth address:
See more questions like this: Made by Vietnam Samsung phone is original or no
See more questions like this: How can I tell if a Samsung Galaxy S5 I am buying is original?
On the back of my phone, it says 'Made In Korea by Samsung" while my mom's phone which also has a better camera MP says MADE IN Vietnam!
My phone is white, we got it from a guy in his car and he said they were real and he said it was the real deal, my dad's phone says made in China and my mother's phone says made in Vietnam while mine says it was made in Korea, but my phone's camera resolution is kind of bad, we compared my mom's and mine's and hers looks better. I don't know if I have a fake phone? I need some help.
Try putting in several of the Samsung codes in the above VisiHow article. Your lens to the camera could just be dirty and that is the issue with the quality of the photos. Still, since you bought the phone from a guy in his car, you should probably check all three of the phones.
How about the code *#66# to find the IMEI? That is what a seller is telling me to do?
How about the code *#66# to find the IMEI? That is what a seller is telling me to do
Many times phone vendors who are also selling fake phones will intentionally give you bad codes for checking the IMEI, or codes that only work for a particular component, like the modem. In your case, the code he gave you is incorrect. The actual code for checking if your phone is real or not is '*#06#', and you can learn how to do this by reading the other questions in this Q&A.
If you are not sure whether you can trust the vendor or not, consider the following:
- 1Do they have an established store presence or are they just operating from a booth?
- 2Are they professional, and interested in helping you, or just trying to sell you a phone?
- 3Do they have any problems with you testing out the IMEI code in their store?
- 4What kind of warranties or guarantees are they willing to give you?
- 5Will they put those guarantees in writing?
If you have any additional questions, let us know in the Q&A section.
My mobile 7&8 numbers are 06, according to original codes 06 figure belong to made in China, Hong Kong or Mexico. I want to know in which country it is made, moreover, on the inner side of the mobile it is written made by Vietnam. Please clarify
According to above question, I want to know which country made this mobile
If the phone states that it was made in Vietnam then it was. Samsung has factories all over the world and it is rare that a phone is made all in one country.
See more questions like this: Its just that this phone Samsung GT-S7582 was locked after too many patterns, but now it does not have an option of delete data from the recovery mode. I don't know what to do then
Samsung Galaxy S3, Original or fake? how would I know that it is original?
I bought a used Samsung Galaxy S3. I want to know whether it's original or not?
There are many ways to determine whether you have an original Samsung Galaxy S3 or a fake. One of the easiest and fastest ways is using the Samsung Kies program on your PC. This program is the official Samsung program for all Samsung devices. You can also use this program to backup and transfer files between your PC and the phone. If you have Kies on your computer, you can find out if you have an original phone by plugging your device into the PC and running the program. If Kies identifies your phone, it means it's genuine. If not, it's probably a clone.
If you haven't used this program previously, follow the steps below to install and use it:
- 1On your PC desktop, open a web browser.
- 3Click on the 'Kies Download' button, under the 'Downloads' section.
- 4When the file is downloaded, open it.
- 5Follow the setup to install the program.
- 6Once Kies is installed on your PC, run it.
- 7Now plug your Galaxy S3 into the PC.
- 8Wait for the program to identify your phone.
- 9If Kies identified your GS3, your phone is 100% genuine.
- 10If not, it's probably a fake.===My Note4 hangs when uploading?===
I bought my Note4 last October, so it has not reached 1 year, but it started hanging especially when I upload pictures to Facebook or play games. Now I am doubting if it's an original or a copy
Unfortunately, the cause of hanging might be anything. It can be the Internet speed severely limited by your carrier or the bad mobile data coverage. It can be applications that cause this nuisance that you might want to uninstall first. Mostly those are Internet-dependent applications that run in the background, such as Viber, WhatsApp, Skype, ICQ, etc. It can be a fake phone, of course, too; but it can be faulty hardware as well.
To start off, start uninstalling all applications but the ones that hang (Facebook and a game or two). Move all data from the internal memory to the SD card. Run https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.cleanmaster.mguard&hl=en . Run https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.rechild.advancedtaskkiller&hl=en and stop all background applications.
- Tap "Settings", "Mobile data", "Network mode", tap unselected options one by one and try running applications with them. Switch to a fast WiFi to see if it is mobile data that slows everything down.
Also, as the best measure to see if those are applications that slow you down, hard-reset the phone and run Facebook and a game that usually hangs.
The best way to see if the phone is fake or not is to compare its specifications at http://www.samsung.com/global/microsite/galaxynote4/note4_specs.html with data shown with the https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.specdevice application.
About my S4. is it fake because my camera resolution is very low and internal storage is 16GB which is almost empty but on downloading an app it reads insufficient storage?
Is my phone fake because the camera resolution is too low and internal storage reads 16GB yet the phone is almost empty and when I download an app it says insufficient storage
If you compared your phone, and no differences were spotted, then we should try looking deeper into the aforementioned problems.
Firstly, make sure that you use the rear camera. The frontal camera always has a lower resolution. To switch back to the standard camera, tap the icon with two arrows and a camera in the top-right corner when you are in the photographing mode in the Camera application.
Also, the Camera might glitch, and you might want to tap the lightning icon in the top-left corner and then tap "Off". The resolution may go back up.
Check what resolution of images you are getting. 4128 x 3096 is the standard resolution for the rear camera.
Secondly, check your free space on your device and SD card. The internal phone memory does fill up fast, and you need to move all of your applications, images, and videos to the SD card. It is quite a normal problem for Android devices.
If you still suspect that something is wrong, backup all of your data to your computer, update the operating system on your device and hard-reset the device. Check the free memory and camera resolution afterward.
If you have questions on how to move data to the SD card, check your image resolution, update the phone, or hard-reset the phone, please leave a comment here.
Code to know whether it is an original or fake Samsung?
Code to know whether it is an original or fake Samsung?
The code you are looking for to determine whether or not your Samsung Galaxy is original or fake is known as the IMEI code. You can find this code by taking the following steps:
- 1Open your dial pad and dial *#06#.
- 2If your phone is not showing you the IMEI number, your phone is a fake. However, on some clone phones you can check the IMEI code, so continue the steps below to verify this number.Now you should be able to see the IMEI number.
- 3On your PC home screen, open the web browser.
- 5Enter the IMEI number on the website and click on check.
- 6If the website shows your phone information, it means that your phone is genuine if not, your phone is probably a fake.
1. go to IMEI check site. 2. type your phone IMEI number 3. if warranty and phone details appears, that mean your Samsung is an original one.
I have a Samsung Tab 4 10.1 and I just got it. I want to know if it is real?
The item was in original Samsung box, sealed and seal said if this seal is broken then don't accept the product. Tablet looks real and works fine. I think it legit and real. I want to know the exact thing which I should check to clarify if it is real. thanks
Compare the specs listed on the box to Samsung's website specs on the Tab 4 10.1. Your tablet is probably real based on the packaging and if you bought it legitimately then there is less to worry about.
Distinguishing between Note3 original versus cloned?
How can I distinguish between Samsung Galaxy Note3 golden color with that of clone
Compare S-Pen devices. The real one has a golden handle and pressable thinner tip that works on the screen (even when hovering over it) and "Menu" and "Back" buttons. The real battery has an icon with a circle and "UL". The make and the model of the phone should appear, and the set-up wizard will be launched after Note3 is first turned on.
The "Language & input" screen must have "Hands-free mode", "Voice control", "S Pen", and "One-handed operation".
Install https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.specdevice and go through the specifications and ensure that the phone:
- supports the 4G network, but you must have a 4G Micro-SIM card and a 4G area coverage;
- weighs 168 grams; use digital kitchen scales to check that;
- the screen size is 1080x1920 pixels;
- has a 5.7" screen; - has WiFi, Bluetooth, GPS, NFC, and the Infrared port;
- has Android OS v.4.3 and up;
- has a CPU that is Quad-core 2.3 GHz Krait 400 (N9005, N9002), Quad-core 1.9 GHz Cortex-A15, or quad-core 1.3 GHz Cortex-A7 (N9000) and the GPU that is Adreno 330 (N9005, N9002)/ Mali-T628 MP6 (N9000);
- has a microSD slot that handles 64GB cards;
- has a camera that takes 4128x3096 photographs, can detect smiles and faces, and can shoot 2160p@30fps (rear) and 1080p@60fp (rear and front) videos;
- applications can use the accelerometer, compass, barometer, temperature, and humidity;
- can play back MP3 /WAV /eAAC+ /AC3 /FLAC /MP4 /DivX /XviD /WMV /H.264 files.
See more questions like this: Differences between real and fake Samsung Galaxy S3
What is the manufacturing country of Samsung Galaxy Core i8262?
How do I know what is the manufacturing country of Samsung Galaxy Core i8262
I do not suggest dialing an MMI code (*#06#) on the phone to find the IMEI number, as the IMEI number can be superseded with another one by the means of certain machinations.
Therefore, find the IMEI number under your mobile phone battery. You will have to turn off the device, remove the cap, and take out the battery for that. The IMEI number is a 15 digit number like 356558927324083.
The 7th and 8th numbers of the IMEI number is the country of origin of your Galaxy smartphone. Countries have different codes. Please check the list below.
Code - country
- 05 or 50 - Brazil, USA, or Finland
- 08 or 80 - Germany
- 00 - original factory
- 01 or 10 - Finland
- 02 or 20 - UAE or India
- 03, 04, 40, or 30 - China
- 06 or 60 - Hong Kong, China, or Mexico
- 13 - Azerbaijanis
See more questions like this: I need the code in finding real or fake Galaxy S4
My Samsung N5100 software is not upgrading, others upgrade?
Others update software for Samsung N5100 but not mine, it's coming to all updates are installed
If you mean that your installed applications are not updating, then try both updating your Android OS and resetting your phone.
If you mean that your Android OS is not updating, then it might be the problem of Samsung with rolling out updates in different areas with delays. Check the list for GT-N5100 updates here: http://www.sammobile.com/2015/01/27/01-27-2015-firmware-updates-galaxy-note-8-galaxy-note-3-neo-galaxy-s4-mini-and-more/ .
Please note that the region will be defined by the IMEI of the phone. The IMEI is a 15-digit number located under the battery or shown after dialing *#06#.
If nothing works, you can hard-reset your phone and try updating it again.
If it still does not work, but you want to update your phone, you can root it or change its IMEI to another region. However, this may "brick" your phone and is absolutely not recommended.
I have a fake Galaxy S5. Do Chinese phones have codes to see some details of the device?
I have a fake Galaxy S5 and I want to see the details
Settings>About Phone should give you details but if you want more then you can download and install System Info for Android.
I want to install an anti theft security so that if there is a SIM change, I would be informed?
I want to be informed of a SIM change on my mobile SIM Card Change Notifier is an app in Google Play. A word of caution, these apps can cause you to have to hard reset your phone if they trigger a security breach when there is no legitimate threat.
What kinds of components do not match with the original?
How can I differentiate them ? of original and fake
VisiHow QnA. This section is not written yet. Want to join in? Click EDIT to write this answer.
Do I know by dial *#0*# only orginal sumsung mobile?
Do I know by dial *#0*# only orginal sumsung mobile? . Mean I need to know original Samsung cell phones by using only one smar method?. please help me?
VisiHow QnA. This section is not written yet. Want to join in? Click EDIT to write this answer.
When you say battery specifications are not the same what do you mean?
Battery specification means what I don't understand. I have never heard of battery specifications Battery specifications is supposed to be the same with what? I have tried: I have tried to look my phone but I don't see battery specifications. I think it was caused by: I don't know because its my first time hearing batery specifications
VisiHow QnA. This section is not written yet. Want to join in? Click EDIT to write this answer.
Categories : Tech
Recent edits by: Sashawells, phindile, Jay