Have a Smoother Complexion
Edited by Jerry Rivers, Lynn, Angela, Eng and 1 other
While young, your skin is smooth and supple. There are many factors that can prematurely age your skin if you do not take care of it, however. For example, the sun is very harsh on your exposed skin, as well as dirt and grime from the great outdoors. Your daily habits will affect your skin's condition as well. Naturally, as you age your skin becomes thinner and more brittle. Yet, even when you are older, there are many steps that you can take to keep the largest organ of your body young. Here is how you can achieve and maintain that healthy, younger looking smooth skin.
- 1You are susceptible to skin blotches, rough dry patches, skin cancer, wrinkles, and age spots due to sun exposure.The number one source of skin aging is the sun.
- Yet, a little sun is beneficial in that it helps your body process the UV rays into essential vitamin D. The time needed for your skin type and home environment varies; however, 10 minutes a day with your face and arms exposed may be sufficient.
- From mid-morning until mid-afternoon the UV rays are strongest, so ideally wear long-sleeved shirts, long pants, hat, and UV-protection sunglasses during that time.
- Cover all exposed skin with a sunscreen. If you are outside for an extended time, use one with a high SPF rating of 50 or higher. If active outdoors, you need a sunscreen that is also sweat and water resistant.
- 2This not only keeps your skin clean, but it also removes the thousands of dead skin cells that shed from the skin's surface.Exfoliate your skin a few times each week for smoother skin.
- Exfoliating your skin removes the sebum and dirt that builds up constantly.
- Exfoliating will make speed up the skin cell growth and promote a smoother complexion.
- 3Have good daily habits.
- Drink eight or more glasses of water daily.
- Get at least light exercise, such as walking for 10 minutes daily.
- Eat a balanced diet.
- Avoid smoking completely to prevent aging of your face.
- Drink only in moderation to stay younger looking.
- 4Avoid all practices that are aversive to your skin.
- Shower only as long as necessary and avoid overly hot water.
- Use cleansers and skin care items that contain no artificial dyes or solvents that contain mineral oil.
- Milk is beneficial to your skin. Try this facial once a week: Soak a washcloth with cold milk, wring it, and then lay it on your face for several minutes.
Caring for Oily Skin
- 1On your face, apply an oil cleaning astringent with a salicylic acid formula. Use a cotton ball to do this once a day. If physically active apply it twice a day.Cleaning your skin - Wash a liquid or bar oily skin cleanser three times a day, and any time after a physical workout.
- 2Try a clay mask once a week to take away dead skin cells, and to help dry the oil.Controlling blemishes - Use a five percent cream of benzoyl peroxide for those problem spots.
- 3Powder and a blotting blush will be helpful for your oily skin.For makeup - Use an oil absorbing water based makeup to remove the slick oily look from your face.
- 4Wear a hair style that keeps your hair off your face and forehead, and shampoo your hair every other day.
Caring for Dry Skin
- 1Cleaning your dry skin - Twice each day, use a moisturizing cleanser that cleans thoroughly, yet it will not dry out your skin, such as Murad Moisture Rich Skin Cleanser or Pond's Cold Cream.
- 2Try using an alpha-hydroxy-acid (AHA) that has fruit or plant extracts rather than a synthetic brand. It will exfoliate and smooth your skin. Applying aloe, vitamin E and panthenol will your dry skin looking young.Moisturizing your dry skin - Use a cream moisturizer.
- 3Benzoyl peroxide cream is excellent in cleaning pores and fighting bacteria. Once a week, use a moisturizing mask to cleanse and smooth your dry skin.Controlling blemishes - Using a beta-hydroxy-acid, such as salicylic acid is effective in treating blemishes if you have dry skin.
Caring for Blemish Problem Skin
- 1Cleaning your skin - Wash thoroughly with any liquid, bar, or gel skin cleansing agent two to three times a day.
- 2If you have oily skin, it is recommended to use a medicated soap with salicylic acid, or benzoyl peroxide, and triclosan.
- 3Be careful about using too much acne-treating medicine, as it may overly dry your skin. Use a cream-based acne medicine if you are treating acne. Use oil-free lotion in dry areas.For skin tone - After you wash your face, use a toner or astringent.
- 4Try cleaning your skin with benzoyl peroxide cream that is five to ten percent concentration. If your skin becomes flaky and rough looking at even the five percent concentration, discontinue its use. Use creams with salicylic acid instead.Controlling blemish problems - Unclog blocked pores with cream based acne medicine two times per day.
- 5Use only a foundation that will not clog your pores. You should apply a product that is oil-free and non-comedogenic. Because they can clog your skin, never use makeup that contains lanolin oil, lauric acid, isopropyl isostearate, or mysristyl myristate.For makeup - Use tinted makeup products containing benzoyl-peroxide.
- 6Apply your makeup with only light strokes.
- If you are having continued blemish problems, and treatments are ineffective, you should make an appointment with a dermatologist.
Questions and Answers
What lotion works to improve complexion and smoothness for dry skin?
There are a lot of products out there like Olay and Vaseline that can improve your complexion, make it smooth and care for your dry skin. You will also have to do the following to make sure you get better skin:
- take a bath everyday
- do not use harmful soaps (use soaps like dove)
- do not stress yourself
- pamper yourself once in a while
- detoxify at least once a month
- do not expose yourself to too much sun
- wear proper clothing
- eat a balanced diet
- do not consume too much alcohol or smoke
Categories : Health & Wellness
Recent edits by: Eng, Angela, Lynn