Get the Most from Your PS4
Edited by Batkingnz, Eng, Lynn, Melsan
If you're the owner of a shiny new PlayStation 4, then you've probably begun exploring all the features and games on your shiny new console. However, in the excitement, there can be a few obvious and not so obvious features that could be overlooked. That's why VisiHow has compiled the list of tips and tricks below, so that you can begin using your PS4 to its full potential in no time at all.
Getting the Day One Update
If you're already connected to the internet, and most people are, then getting the day one update will be an automatic process. This update is required for unlocking some of the basic features like Blu-Ray and DVD playback. However, if you're not online or if you have a slow connection, downloading from another location and updating from USB might be a better option for you. Here's what you will need to do:
- 1Download the update from the PlayStation site to a computer by following this link.Advertisement
- 2On a USB flash drive with a capacity of at least 512 MB, create a folder named "PS4" and then another folder inside this folder named "UPDATE".Advertisement
- 3Transfer the file "PS4UPDATE.PUP" to the "UPDATE" folder.
- 4You can do this by holding down the Power button until you hear a beep after around seven seconds. The power indicator should not be lit after this step.Make sure that your PS4 is powered down.
- 5This will start up the PS4 in safe mode.With the console off, connect your USB flash drive and then hold the power button again for 7 seconds.
- 6Your console will complete the process from this point.From the Safe Mode menu, choose "Update System Software" to begin updating from the USB flash drive.
Managing Your Power Options
In your settings menu there are some useful options to not only make your console more efficient, but also some to make your tech life a little easier too.
- 1Under the Power Savings mode, you can adjust functions of the console while it's in Standby mode. Try enabling "Supply power from USB ports". This will let you charge your controllers while the console is in standby but it's also handy if you want to charge your phones and other gadgets from the USB ports on the PS4.Charging via your USB ports.Advertisement
- 2This is another option that many of us will want to enable. In the current gaming generation, additional content, updates and downloadable games are things that constantly get delivered through your internet connection. Enabling this option means that you won't have to wait when it comes to actually sitting down and playing your PS4.Connect to the internet during standby mode.
- 3In the same menu, you will have the option to set timeout values for your controllers or console for periods of inactivity. This setting will turn these off when you aren't using them to help save on power and ultimately, the consoles lifespan.Turn off your controllers, or even your console.
- 4While vibration can add realism and additional feedback to immerse you even further into games, the feature will also cause your controllers to drain their batteries faster. If you want to disable the vibration functions, just open up "Controllers" from within the "Device settings" menu and disable vibration from here.Controller feedback.
The User Interface
- 1If you want to jump back to the last app that was open, just double tap the "PS" button on your controller to open up whatever was previously running, regardless of what you're doing at the time.You can fast switch to the previous app.
Use the Android App to Interact With Your PS4
Similar to XBOX SmartGlass, although not yet as full featured, the PS4 has its own companion app for smartphones and tablets. If you're running an Android device, you can download the app from the Play Store here. You can use the app to input text as well as send messages to your friends on PSN, and check out the latest PS4 news and offers.
Connect Your PS4 To Facebook and Twitter
You can post your trophies, screenshots, game play clips and basically anything that you like to Facebook and Twitter directly from your PS4.
- 1During the first boot up of the console (after you have installed the initial update) you will have the option to link your PSN profile to your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
- 2You can even choose to post only to specific groups.You can choose which actions you want to publish; for example, Facebook could post game events or trophy achievements to your Facebook profile.
- 3If you want to change the posting options at any time after the initial setup, just head in to your PSN settings and choose "Link with other services".
Know the Status Lights on Your PS4
The color band on your PS4 will change, depending on the status of the system. Here's a breakdown of what they all mean.
- Blue indicates that the system has been powered on and is booting up.
- White lets you know that the PS4 is on and connected to a TV (and presumably you are now using it).
- Orange means that the system is now in standby. Depending on your power settings, the system can still download/upload and charge from the USB ports while in standby.
- Red is an alert and means that the system is overheating. In this scenario, the PS4 will shut down to prevent damage. If you are repeatedly having the overheating indicator, contact Sony or the place where you purchased the console for troubleshooting.