Get Rid of Blackheads on Your Ears With Gycolic Acid Products vs Lemon Juice and Unscented Baby Powder vs Rubbing Alcohol and a Hot Compress ... and 3 more
Edited by Donna, Sean Zylow, Eng, Maria Quinney
Blackheads on your ears occur because:
- The pores on the skin are larger than the pores in other areas of your body so they are more likely to catch trapped dirt and oils
- When you lay your head on a pillow or a cushion, it may be dirty or greasy from your skin oils or someone else's and cause bacteria to spread
- Earrings and studs may carry bacteria and oils that cause blackheads, especially if you have borrowed them from someone else and worn them without cleaning them
- Hormonal changes such as puberty, perimenopause or menopause can cause the pores to produce too much sebum (oil) and cause blackheads to form on the ears
- Using very greasy or oily shampoos or hair products can cause a build up of product on the ears and blackheads
- Wearing toque, hats or head covers that are not clean can cause bacteria to reach the ears.
- Wearing eyeglasses with dirty or greasy arms can cause blackheads
- Excessive sweating on the scalp that drips
Method 1: With Gycolic Acid Products
Glycolic acid is a very strong AHA acid that helps melt away dead skin cells and oils from the ears. There are a couple of different products on the market that contain glycolic acid that are safe enough to use on the ears, yet strong enough to help get rid of the blackheads.
- 1This is how much of a percentage of the product must be in it to be effective. Products that have high percentages of glycolic acid in them are 10 Percent Toning Complex Clarifying Toner and Glycolic Renewal Smoothing Cream. You can get these products at a drug store or at a store that sells skin care and cosmetics like Sephora.Buy a cleansing product that contains at least 7% glycolic acid.
- 3Be aware that this type of acid is quite strong and may cause your ears to feel like they are itching or burning. This sensation is typical with the use of this product but if you feel like your skin is on fire or unbearably itchy then you should remove the product immediately. Some people do have sensitivity to glycolic acid that can cause dermatitis or even mild burn in the area that it is treated with it.Leave the glycolic acid product on your ear for about fifteen seconds.
- 5If your ear skin starts peeling skip the treatment for a day or two before continuing. Once the blackheads have disappeared stop the daily use of the products.You can do this glycolic acid treatment for the ears every day until your blackheads have disappeared.
Method 2: With Lemon Juice and Unscented Baby Powder
Exfoliating the area around the ear is very difficult because the skin is so fine and the pores are larger. Also the area that is affected with the blackheads around the ears often very tiny. In this recipe for a scrub for getting rid of blackheads on the ears, unscented baby powder is used with lemon juice as a topical scrub. The baby powder acts as a very fine exfoliant that polishes away the blackheads and the lemon juice is naturally astringent and helps tighten up the pores. Furthermore, lemon juice contains Vitamin C and zinc, which helps prevent scarring and facilitates healing.
- 1The amount needed to be used to make this blackhead removal formula is so small that you could simply mix it up in the palm of your hand. Be sure too, to use unscented baby powder, as the scented powder contains chemicals and hormone disruptors that could cause an even worse breakout.Mix about a ½ teaspoon of unscented baby powder with a ¼ teaspoon of lemon juice in a small bowl to make a scrub.
- 2Scrub the affected area well being sure to manually exfoliate the blackheads away.Use your thumb and forefinger to apply the mixture the part of your ear that is affected by blackheads.
- 4Stop using the scrub if your ears become irritated or if the skin begins to peel.You can use this scrub every day until the blackheads are all gone.
Method 3: With Rubbing Alcohol and a Hot Compress
Rubbing alcohol can be very effective when it comes to removing blackheads from your ears because it is a strong disinfectant that dries up the top layer of your skin. The dried up blackheads then fall off out on their own. The warm compress that begins this effective blackhead removal routine for the ears helps steam open the pores and soften up dead skins and oils so that they are more easily ejected from your pores.
- 1This will help the pores expand and the dirty oily clogs in your pores will soften up and be easier to remove.Soak a washcloth in very hot water and apply it to the area of your ear that needs treatment.
Method 4: Using Dermabrasion With A Buf-Puf
One of the challenges of removing blackheads from your ears using dermabrasion is that there are few sponges or pumice stones small enough to do the job. However, 3M makes a product called the Buf-Puf, which is a small densely fibrous coarse plastic sponge that works well as an exfoliator. The Buf-Puf can be used with a medicated cleanser or on its own remove embedded comedones from the ears. If you are trying to clean blackheads that are inside your ears it is best to use it without any type of soap, to prevent water getting in inside of your ear canal.
- 1The Buf-Puf has been in use since the early seventies as a fibrous cosmetic cleansing pad so it should be quite easy to find.Purchase a Buf-Puf from a drugstore or order one online at Buf-Puf.
- 6If your skin becomes irritated then only do this cleansing routine once a day or try skipping a day.Repeat this cleansing ritual twice a day until the blackheads on your ears are gone.
Method 5: With A Hot Black Tea Bag
If your ears are sore, red or inflamed from the blackheads then you can try using a black tea bag compress to try and reduce the swelling and to try and naturally get rid of the black heads. Black tea contains antioxidants called tannins and polyphenols that are helpful in fighting inflammation and inflammation. Black tea also contains alkylamine antigens that help boost the immune response and helps vanquish the pathogens that may have caused the blackhead breakouts on your ears in the first place.
- 2Be sure to get all of the water out of the tea bag so that it does not run into your ear or down your face and neck. If black tea is dripping into your ear canal then try wringing out the tea bag a little more so that it is less sloppy to deal with.When it is cool enough, wring the teabag out and apply it to the area of your ear that needs treatment for blackheads.
- 3Some of the swelling and inflammation associated with the blackheads will be reduced and the comedones may be a bit softer and expelling some of their contents onto the surface of your skin.Keep the black tea bag compress on the affected area for about fifteen minutes.
- 4Be gentle so that you do not trigger more pain and inflammation in the area. Do not force blackheads out of your pores as that could cause additional infection.Remove the black tea bag compress and gently clean any expelled oils from comedones from your skin with a cotton pad soaked in rubbing alcohol.
- 6If you follow up this procedure with a hot shower, you will encourage the blackheads to emerge and expel their contents quickly.You can treat blackheads on your ear with black tea bag three to four times a day if you wish and you can repeat this every day until the blackheads are gone.
Method 6: With A Chamomile Tea Bag Compress
There are two kinds of chamomile tea that both work equally well to remove blackheads: German Chamomile and Roman Blue Chamomile. It is the chamomile tea bag itself that works as the hot compress that can help remove the blackheads from the ear. Chamomile is anti-bacterial and anti-fungal solution. It contains a powerful healing constituent called bisabolol, which is both an anti-irritant and anti-inflammatory. Chamomile is also a mild skin bleach that can help reduce the grainy look of skin affected by blackheads as well as reduce the redness that they can cause.
Chamomile is also a natural moisturizer that helps prevent skin pores from overproducing oil. If your blackheads are caused by the fact that the skin on your ears is dry, then chamomile can help your dermis find its balance and keep hydrated again. Chamomile is also naturally relaxing and can help deal with blackhead breakouts due to stress.
- 3You could leave it on for as long as an hour if you like. The chamomile will help reduce the swelling and redness a well as soften the hard tops of the infected pores.Keep the hot chamomile tea bag on the affected area for about twenty minutes.
- 1You can do this every day until the breakout of comedones is not a chronic issue any more.You can treat blackheads on your ear with chamomile tea bag up to six times a day if you want.
Tips and Tricks
- Be sure to wash the jewelry that you wear in your ears often to prevent the infections that cause blackheads
- Blackheads on the ears can be quite difficult to get rid of forever so diligently washing your ear skin is a good idea
- Using oil-free products to shampoo and condition your hair may help stop grease from getting in the pores of your ears
- Wash your pillowcases frequently to prevent the spread of blackhead causing bacteria
- Disinfect car seat and recliner head rests with Lysol or a similar disinfectant to make sure they are not greasy or carrying the bacteria that causes blackheads
- Be sure to keep your head scarves, hats, toques, caps and other head coverings very clean to avoid reinfection
- Replace your winter ear muffs every now and then to make sure they are not too riddled with bacteria or avoid wearing them if the blackouts on your ears are a chronic problem
- Always clean your ear buds to avoid spreading bacteria and infection
- Never try to use your fingernails to try and scratch the problem away as you will probably make it worse
- Using a cosmetic extraction tool to remove blackheads on your ears is not recommended as the texture of the ear skin is very delicate and use risk widening the pores or scarring them, and then making the chronic blackouts chronic.
- Reduce the amount of salt that you have in your diet as it irritates the pores and widens them if they have to secrete too much sodium
- Touch your ears less often, especially if your hands are dirty
- After making any blackhead removal compresses with tea, it is also beneficial to drink the beverage afterwards as the antioxidants in both back and green tea are very beneficial to the complexion.