Get Pregnant with a Girl or a Boy
Edited by Vanessa Alexandra Avisado, Eng, Lynn, Ydiya and 2 others
If you have a platoon of sons, or a plethora of daughters, there's a good chance you've been leaving the gender of your baby up to chance. Perhaps, you aren't sure about having another child, believing the next one will be the same gender. Many couples in this situation have ended up having more children than they intended, trying for that son or daughter they don't have.
Most would-be parents wouldn't trade the health of a beautiful newborn to a preferred gender, yet it is undeniable that many would secretly fancy their babies to be either all-bundled up in pretty pink, or soft cuddly blue. Many think it's just a fanciful dream because determining the gender of child is something not within their control. However, if you understand a little about genetics, or you've explored savvy methods to have the baby that will round out your family.
If you seek the wisdom of the elders, they usually have a word of advice on how to make your first born a girl or a boy, or how to break the chain of all girls or boys. Call them myths or old wives' tales, but a few of these suggestions have biological basis. You must have heard some of the so called "superstitions" - pick the right time of your intimate act, change your position when making love and alter your diet
Believe it or not, they're right. You can choose the gender of your baby by influencing certain variables during conception or the act that leads to it. The question is, how you can control the variables involved in determining the gender during the fertilization of the egg. Maybe you need to start with a little understanding of human genetics - the science behind sex determination and the behavior of the X- and Y-bearing spermatozoa.
Science Behind Gender
Defining Gender/Sex Selection.
If you are anxious to have a daughter or a son, and adopt a particular method to help increase the probability of attaining the sex you desire, you are doing "sex selection". There are various methods you can use to increase the odds of getting what you want. The Genetic Basis of Gender/Sex Selection:
- 2The egg contains an X Chromosome.The eggs come from the ovaries.
- 3If the sperm that fertilizes the egg has an X chromosome (X from the egg + X from the sperm = XX), the baby will be a girl.The spermatozoa are produced in the testes.
- 4If the sperm that fertilizes the egg has a Y chromosome (X from the egg + Y from the sperm = XY), the baby will be a boy.
- 5Conversely, those that carry the smaller Y chromosome are faster swimmers, but shorter life span. These are the two points used as bases in the process of sex determination.The X-bearing spermatozoa are heavier and slower, but they have a longer life span.
Gender Selection: Science-Assisted Techniques
The odds of successfully conceiving a baby with the gender you prefer through scientific or medical procedures has been increased as the process becomes better understood. If you are desperate, these suggestions might be exactly what you need, but note that some of these medical procedures are expensive, invasive, and often controversial.
- This is a highly controversial procedure that is only encouraged when there are serious medical reasons why a gender has to be selected.
- It is also considered among the most effective techniques in gender selection with an almost 100 percent precision in selecting a healthy embryo.
- This technique was designed to assist couples confirmed to be carriers of sex-linked genetic disorders.
- This is an intensive technique that utilizes in vitro fertilization (IVF) method. Healthy cells are extracted from the embryo and biopsied for certain specific results. Once the desired gender and heritable defective genes have been isolated, the embryo is implanted in the mother's womb.
- 2Sperm Sorting Technique:
- The procedure sorts the spermatozoa into Y-bearing spermatozoa (boy-producing sperm or Y-sperm) and X-bearing spermatozoa (girl-producing sperm or X-sperm) through a method that entails measuring the DNA.
- Using the desired sperm (X-bearing or Y-bearing), the spermatozoa are allowed to fertilize the egg or ova either by intrauterine insemination (IUI) or by in vitro fertilization (IVF).
- The former (IUI) refers to the insertion of the preferred sperm into the uterus of the host or mother. The latter (IVF) uses the selected sperm to fertilize an egg in vitro before it is implanted on the mother.
- The success rate of this technique is about 92 percent for girls and 81 percent for boys. Meanwhile, the pregnancy rate for IUI cycle is 15.6 percent, which is lower than the general clinical pregnancy rate of 32 percent using IVF/ICSI.
- 3Ericsson Albumin Method:
- In this method, the sperms are separated using albumin. The ones that swim faster through the albumin are assumed to be Y-sperms (boys) and the sluggish ones to be the X-sperms (girls).
- These are then inserted through intrauterine insemination (IUI) or artificial insemination.
- If a girl is preferred, the woman can take Clomid® to increase the odds for a girl.
- The success rate of this method is about 75 percent. The success for girls is around 70-72 percent.
Gender Selection: Low-Tech Methods
If budget is a concern or you prefer the traditional way of conceiving, that is without any expensive medical-assisted or invasive procedure, there are certainly gender selection methods you can try. These are not as reliable as the PGD or sperm sorting technique, but have been proven to work.
The Shettles Method
This is still anchored on the facts that X-bearing sperms (X-sperm or girl-producing) are large, sluggish and survive longer, while the Y-bearing sperms (Y-sperm or boy-producing sperm) are lighter and faster, but with shorter life spans.
- 1This way, only the X-bearing sperms will be waiting around in the fallopian tubes by the time the woman's ova are released by the ovaries.If you want a daughter, couples must be intimate two to four days prior to the woman's ovulation.
- 2This will allow the light and fast-swimming Y-bearing sperm to get to the ovum ahead of the slower X-bearing sperm.If a boy is yearned for, however, the physical intimacy must happen as close to ovulation as possible.
- 3Deeper penetration can take the fast swimming Y-sperm closer to the ovum.There are also certain physical positions that will increase the chance of conceiving the desired gender.
- This type of gender selection boasts of about 75 percent success rate, though there are no actual reports or documentation regarding this claim.
The Whelan Method
This is the reverse of the Shettles Method. It is the biochemical changes in a woman's body during her cycle that determine which sperm will fertilize the ovum.
- 1This is, however, thought to be too distant from the actual release of the egg and the spermatozoa aren't likely to live that long.To conceive a boy, it's necessary to have intercourse four to six days before ovulation.
- 2To conceive a girl, the intimate act needs to happen two to three days prior to ovulation or on the same day of ovulation.
- 1To make the female tract more conducive to either type of sperm, the chemical conditions can be altered using certain kits containing douches or nutritional supplements.
- 2Medical experts, however, cast doubts on the claims.
Gender Selection: The Old Wives' Tales
If neither the science-assisted techniques nor the low-tech methods appeal to you, there are old wives' tales that tell you how to conceive a girl or a boy. While there are things you can try on your own, there isn't much guarantee you can select the gender of your offspring with precision. Some of these theories include:
- 1Diet can influence baby's gender.
- If you want to have a son, you can encourage Y-sperm with salty foods, red meat, and foods rich in potassium. You can also include wheat grass, cucumber, kale, oregano, almonds, peas, tomatoes, broccoli, parsnips, sweet potatoes, pine watermelons, and nuts.
- If you want a daughter, make sure to include yogurt, eggs, and chocolate in your diet.
- 2Those positions that result in faster transmission of sperms to the egg are likely to result in conceiving a boy.Your position when making love can also decide your baby's gender.
When you and your partner start envision expanding your family, and you have visions of pinks or blues, trying some "old wives' tales" or low-tech methods can work just fine. However, if you have a genetic problem that is sex-related, or you already have a big family and just want a girl or a boy added to that brood, maybe it it's time to consider a science-assisted technique. Having a healthy baby is more than enough, but to pine for a son or daughter is quite normal. Be glad there are ways to get pregnant specifically with a girl or a boy.
Questions and Answers
I want a baby boy medically with PGD?
I am a mother of a girl aged 30 months. I want a second boy with 100% surety, please help
IVF is extremely expensive for just using as gender selection. Put your husband and yourself on a diet rich with the foods in potassium if you are trying to conceive a boy. Track your ovulation cycles and only try to conceive on as close as possible to actual ovulation. Elevate your hips after making love to encourage a boy conception. It is important to note however that all of these methods may still result in a girl. The only 100% way to have surety is IVF and many infertility specialists will not perform the costly procedure simply just for gender and if they do the cost will not be covered by insurance plans.
Categories : Parenting
Recent edits by: Maria Quinney, Ydiya, Lynn