Get Long Eyelashes with Lash Curlers vs Eyeliner vs False Eyelashes ... and 3 more
Edited by Debbie, Charmed, Eng, Ephraim and 4 others
If you're stuck with short, thin eyelashes, you're not alone. Many women are looking for ways to make their lashes longer and more voluminous. There's no shortage of options at your disposal, though some of them are more expensive and impractical than others. Eyelash extensions are a semi-permanent option, but they're expensive and they can cause traction alopecia if you wear them for a long time, just like hair extensions on the head. Eyelash implants are a more invasive method that can help you achieve fuller, longer eyelashes. These are transplanted from hair on your head during a surgical procedure, but it's costly, and it comes with many risks.
Getting longer eye lashes is not only desirable for women, but also for some men too. There are different tricks that you can use in order to get longer eye lashes, but it's important to find something that you're comfortable with in the long-term. Growing longer lashes requires patience and persistence. Follow the tips in this article to boost your lashes at home without expensive products or invasive procedures.
Method 1: with Lash Curlers
A good lash curler will go a long way towards making your short, thin eyelashes look long and full. This tool will allow you to curl your lashes up, out and away from your eyes. Follow the steps in this section to properly curl your eyelashes and reach the greatest heights.
- 1Some people like to use an eyelash curler after applying mascara, but this can cause your already short lashes to break or fall out, and you definitely don't want that. It's also hard to curl your lashes without smearing your makeup on your face.Start with clean lashes.Advertisement
- 2If you have a regular, unheated eyelash curler, you can hold it in front of a hairdryer for 15-20 seconds, just long enough to get it warm. Check to make sure it's not burning hot before curling your lashes.Heat your eyelash curler for extra curling power.Advertisement
- 3If you clamp down too hard, you may accidentally pull out some lashes during the curling process.Apply firm, but gentle pressure with the eyelash curler.
- 4You may need to go over them a few times to make sure they're fully curled.Curl your lashes for at least 10 seconds.
Method 2: with Eyeliner
Eyeliner has been used for thousands of years to enhance, frame, and shape the eye, and it can help add the appearance of fuller, thicker eyelashes. It's available at just around every price point and in pencil, gel, and liquid formulas. Pencil is good if you're looking for a smoky look that you can smudge, liquid is great for a bold and intense look, and gel combines the workability of pencil with the intensity and staying power of liquid eyeliner. Find the best eyeliner for your needs, and follow the tips below to enhance your eyes and make your eyelashes looks darker and fuller.
- 1This will help it stay on longer during the day, even during hot, humid, and rainy weather. Waterproof eyeliner can be tough to remove at the end of the day, so you'll need an eye makeup remover or face oil to take it off without damaging your lashes or irritating the delicate skin under your eyes.Purchase waterproof eyeliner.Advertisement
- 2Use a sharpened eyeliner pencil or good, narrow eyeliner brush in order to reach between your lashes and get down to the roots. An angled brush is the easiest to work with. This will add the appearance of volume. Line the entire base of your upper lash line.Apply the liner to the roots of your lashes.
- 3Extending the eyeliner past the outer corners of your eyes can give the appearance of longer, larger eyes. This is especially helpful if your eyes are close-set.Lengthen your eyes with eyeliner.
Method 3: with False Eyelashes
False lashes that you glue on your lash line are an obvious choice when it comes to boosting your eyelashes. When paired with a good mascara, they can make even the thinnest, shortest eyelashes look long, full, and enviable. You may need to try a few different types of false lashes until you find the right ones for your eyes, but fortunately, there are many low-cost options to choose from that still look great.
- 1Natural lashes hold mascara better than synthetic, and they look much more natural, too.Purchase natural lashes.
Method 4: with Mascara
Mascara is a very popular cosmetic that can lengthen, darken and add volume to your lashes, depending on the formula you choose. The mascara wand also works to comb, curl, and lengthen your lashes.
- 1Mascara should be the last thing you apply to your eye area. Make sure to use a waterproof eyeliner and mascara if you want to keep your look set throughout the day.Apply your other makeup first.
- 2Wiggle the brush in very small motions from side to side to get all of the lashes, while moving the brush up to the tips of your lashes. You can use one coat for a natural look, or more for more length and volume.Apply your mascara to the base of your lashes.
- 3Dip the wand into the tube and quickly apply it before the previous coat dries. This will keep the mascara from clumping on your lashes. Work on one eye at a time, and go through your lashes the same way until you're satisfied with the results.Do not allow the mascara to dry between coats.
- 4You can also comb through your lashes with a small lash brush or comb, or use a clean toothbrush.If you end up with clumps, wipe the excess mascara off of the wand with a paper towel.
- 5Many mascaras are formulated with proteins, vitamins and conditioners that can help strengthen your lashes and support healthy lash growth.Choose a conditioning formula.
Makeup Removal Process
It's absolutely essential that you remove your makeup at the end of the day. Sleeping in makeup can damage your skin and cause inflammation. Even if you use beneficial makeup formulas, dirt and pollution particles can stick to the makeup throughout the day. Old mascara and eye makeup can dry out your lashes and cause breakage, and it may even lead to an eye infection. You need to remove it all in order for your skin to regenerate itself at night.
- 1You may use a makeup-removing facial cleanser instead, but it's often hard to remove waterproof makeup without a designated remover. Makeup-removing towelettes may come in handy, but they can be expensive in the long run.Apply a gentle makeup remover or cleansing oil to your face with a soft cloth, tissue, or cotton pads to remove your makeup.
- 2Rough motions can break your eyelashes or irritate the skin under your eyes.Gently rub or pat the eye area to remove the makeup.
- 3Don't make it too hot, though.Use warm water when washing your face to help melt away the makeup.
- 4Gently pat your face dry with a clean, soft towel and immediately apply any serums, oils or skin treatments, followed by a moisturizer.
Method 5: with DIY Eyelash Growth Oil
Many people swear by the benefits of oils for stimulating eyelash growth. Castor oil is one of the most common, and you can combine it with sweet almond oil or coconut oil and the contents of a vitamin E capsule in order to gain the most benefits. The oils can help improve the condition, length and thickness of your lashes when used regularly.
- 1Add a teaspoon or two of castor oil to a small container.
- 2Add a teaspoon of sweet almond and/or coconut oil to the castor oil.
- 3Poke a hole in a vitamin E capsule, and squeeze the contents into the rest of the oils.
- 4Mix up the oils with a clean spoon.
- 5The tool you use to remove the oil must always be clean to avoid contaminating the rest.Remove a few drops of the oil with a clean mascara wand or cotton swab.
- 6You apply it to your eyebrows, as well. Do not over-saturate your lashes or brows with the oil. Just use enough to coat them in a thin layer. Apply the oil every night after you wash your face and before you apply other products.Apply the oil directly to your lashes and lash line with a cotton swab or clean mascara wand.
- 7Keep the container closed, and store it in a clean, dry place for up to a year.
Method 6: with Nourishing Your Lashes From the Inside Out
If you want to grow healthy and strong lashes, you'll need to eat a healthy diet full of vitamins, minerals and protein. This will benefit not only your lashes, but the hair on your head, your eyebrows and even your skin. You can take vitamins for skin, hair, nails, but the best, most effective nutrients are those that come directly from food.
- 1If you don't have enough, it can lead to hair loss. Beef has a lot of iron, as well as dark, leafy greens, liver, fortified grains and cereals, and lentils. You can also cook your meals in a cast iron skillet to boost the iron content.Make sure you get enough iron.
- 2These are essential for proper hair growth. B vitamins are abundant in many foods, including Greek-style yogurt, pork, poultry, almonds, pasta, whole wheat, cold-water fish, eggs, greens, potatoes, sweet potatoes, mushrooms, shellfish, and lentils. Vitamin B-12 only occurs naturally in animal protein, so if you're a vegetarian, you may want to add fortified soy protein to your diet to obtain this nutrient. Keep your diet healthy, colorful, and varied, and you'll most likely get all of the B vitamins that you need.Get your B vitamins.
- 3Protein is one of the basic building blocks of hair, and without enough of it, your hair growth may slow or stop. The average woman with a sedentary lifestyle needs at least 46 grams of protein per day. The average man with a sedentary lifestyle requires at least 56 grams of protein per day. More is required if you have an active lifestyle or exercise heavily. Lean meats and fish, beans, lentils, soy, eggs, cheese, and yogurt are all good sources of protein.Make sure you get enough protein.
- Protein: Are You Getting Enough? WebMD. Sept. 15, 2014. Retrieved July 31, 2015.