Fix the Samsung Galaxy S5 Lock Screen from Opening up While in Your Pocket
Edited by Grimm, Jen M, Eng, VisiHow
Hi, you are watching VisiHow. Today we are going to show you how to fix the problem with your lock screen opening up in your pocket. If you have a Samsung Galaxy S5 or S5 mini, you may have noticed that unless you have a high-level security set, the phone will regularly come unlocked in your pocket. The tighter your pants are, the more likely you will have this happen. Additionally, If you do extra walking also causes it to happen.
- 1 Steps
- 2 Video: Fix the Samsung Galaxy S5 Lock Screen from Opening up While in Your Pocket
- 3 Questions and Answers
- 4 Comments
- 1The reason for this is that (the button on the side, your power button) is causing the screen to open every time you bump that button. So for example; If you're walking along, your phone is locked, and you bump this phone. Then the screen becomes unlocked, and your leg is moving the screen from side to side, pressing along. After a little while, it ends up sending a message to someone.Advertisement
- 2So for example, this will cause you to send SNS's, make phone calls, 400 pictures of the lint in your pocket. To fix it, it's very simple. You simply swipe your screen down and go to settings (gear-shaped icon at the top right of your phone) or go to the Apps icon at the bottom right of your phone and go to settings (gear-shaped icon). Tap on it.Advertisement
- 4Now if I set that to swipe, I'm going to have the same problem basically. It just takes my pocket to swipe it. Now the likely-hood of my pocket swiping is very slim. Let me show that again. Let's lock it, I'm walking along and pocket pushes the ON button and your leg bumps the screen a little bit, it is possible to swipe it open. However, every time you locked the screen, and you receive a message or notification, your screen is automatically going to act like you pressed that button anyway. In which case, your probably going to unlock it.
- 5So what do we do to fix that? There are two things we do; the first thing that we do is go to the home screen, go to apps icon, go to settings by tapping on it. The first things that we can do is we can set up a higher level of security, OK. Those levels of security are going to be found by tapping here. If you go to apps, then you go to settings, then you go back to the lock-screen and tap on the screen lock, and you can set pattern, pin, password, or fingerprint. We will set a pattern, for example, this now requires the actual conscious motion, it's unlikely that you leg is going to do it or anything else. It will also ask for you to put in a pin (1234 continue,1234 continue) that's your pin. You could put in anything that you want, I just choose 1234 because it's very easy to remember, and I'm constantly putting in pins and new updates.
- 6Now there is another thing you can do if you are still having problems, let's go back. Go to the home screen, let's go to apps, then settings and go to power saving, which is extreme. However, you can turn power saving mode on, you don't have to restrict much of the performance, let's turn it on to show you. You can turn restrict performance on or off. You can turn the greyscale mode on or off. As you choose and what that will do is reset your phone. Let's put it on, so I can show you. Now if I go to my lock screen, it will give me three seconds and it will turn back off. Normally when you're under the locked screen, Oops! I forgot I had a pattern on there, let's get that set. Normally, with your locked screen, you press the button to unlock it you have about 8 seconds. 1, 2,3,4,5,6,7,8, and your screen should lock. I counted kind of fast, but that's OK.
- 7That is one way to set it. There is another way. Use your pattern to unlock the phone, Let's go back to home to make sure you get this, tap the Apps icon, tap on Settings, and tap on display icon that is orange. Here we have an option to set the screen for screen timeout, where the screen will automatically shut itself off. You can also increase or decrease touch sensitivity which you might have the increase checked which is why it's sensitive to your leg.
- 8Now Screen Timeout. I have my screen timeout set to 5 minutes. That means if, for any reason, my screen does open in my pocket, it's open for 5 minutes till I accidently close it. If I'm walking or jogging, I could be jogging for much more than 5 minutes. So setting that to 15 seconds changes things drastically, in terms of making sure your phone is not going to accidentally open.
- 9So these are all the ways you can quickly and easily set your phone up to not give you problems in terms of constantly opening itself while you're trying to do other things. OK. Thank you so much for watching VisiHow. Have a great day and if you have any questions or comments let us know in the section below and we hope to see you soon!
Video: Fix the Samsung Galaxy S5 Lock Screen from Opening up While in Your Pocket
Questions and Answers
Locking phone with side key , I am trying to program my phone to lock when I press the side key, I did this once but for whatever reason the feature isn't working, can you help?
Hello, I am trying to program my phone to lock when I press the side key, I did this once but for whatever reason the feature isn't working, can you help?. I have tried: Well I went to lock screen > screen lock secure with pin > entered a pin once > then pin medium to high security > entered pin twice > then it shows "screen lock secured with pin" so I think great, I'm all set but then I exit out and push the side button and then push the button at the bottom of the phone in the middle just below the screen then swipe and the phone opens WITHOUT me entering my pin!. I think it was caused by: The phone is defective
- 1Press the home button. Tap on "Apps". Tap on "Settings". Tap on "Lock screen". Uncheck "Widget pager" if the option is visible.
- 2Restart your phone.
- 3Check if the security option works now. If not, you can uninstall some recently installed widgets. You can find those in "Apps" > "Settings" > "Applications" > "Application Manager" > the "DOWNLOADED" tab.
- 4Restart your phone.
- 5If that did not help, reset your phone (this will require you to back up data first) by dialling *#87976633# in the phone application or resort to our tutorial on hard-resetting the phone.
S7 accidentally answers and dials randomly in my pocket?
S7 Edge is doing this while in my pocket, I've tried all the possible fixes, now thinking the phone is defective.. I have tried: Change display settings. I think it was caused by: Close fitting pants, phone rubs against thighs.
VisiHow QnA. This section is not written yet. Want to join in? Click EDIT to write this answer.
Categories : All About Samsung Galaxy S5
Recent edits by: Eng, Jen M, Grimm