Familiarize the Samsung Galaxy Note 3 Layout and the S Pen
Edited by Daniel, Maria Quinney, Eng, Nuance and 1 other
Did you just purchased a Samsung Galaxy Note3 and you're still trying to familiarize yourself with the functions of the buttons on the phone, including what exactly is the S Pen, and what can it do?
- 1 Parts of the Galaxy Note3
- 2 Tips To Using The Buttons
- 3 The Samsung Galaxy Note3 S Pen
- 4 Air Command
- 5 Comments
Parts of the Galaxy Note3
We all know that the Samsung Galaxy Note3 has a lot of versions that are similar to other Samsung Galaxy phones. This article will explain the features of the S Pen, and how you can use it with your Samsung Galaxy Note3.
The Front Panel Of The Phone
- 1The notification light usually indicates messages, missed called, someone is calling, low battery, charging and so on.Notification Light:Advertisement
- 2This is where the voice comes out when you are taking calls or playing music.Ear Piece:Advertisement
- 3This button lets you go back to your home screen. While you are currently working on a file or playing a game - once you press this button, it will automatically go back to the home screen but the app will keep on running in the background.Home Button:
- 4The Menu button will only function on some parts of the phone. Like while you are on the home screen, in messages and so on.Menu Button:
- 5This is used for conversation while you are on a call so the other person hear you.Microphone:
- 6Also referred as charging port of the phone and USB.Multipurpose Jack:
- 7Used for hands free conversations or including someone else in the room - the voice on the other end of the phone is on a loud speaker.Speaker:
- 8Used to return to the previous page.Back Button:
- 9Your phone screen manipulated by touch.Touch Screen:
- 10Used to turn off and on the phone and also to set the phone screen to sleep and wake.Power Button:
- 11Used for taking pictures while the front panel of the phone faces you and not the back. This is an 8 MP front Camera.Front Camera:
- 12Used for gestures, light and proximity when you enable this feature.Light, Proximity and Gesture Sensor:
The Back Panel Of The Phone
- 1Infrared indicator of the phone.Ir LED:
- 2For Bluetooth, WiFi and so on.DPS Antenna:
- 3Back camera with 14 MP.Rear Camera:
- 4Flash is used if where you are taking the picture is dark or dim.Flash:
- 5It looks like a pen and its purpose is to help you multi-task and writing like notes. It works like a pen and is a more agile than your fingers.S Pen:
- 6Main Antenna for the phone to receive signal from your network carrier using SIM Card.Main Antenna:
- 7Protection for the back of the phone.Back Cover:
- 8For you to lower or increase the volume on your phone - whether music, voice on the phone, alarm, or other notifications.Volume Button:
- 9Where you plug your earphones or headset with 3.55mm JackHeadset Jack:
- 10This part of the phone is to receive phone sound to transmit to the other line.Microphone for Speaker phone:
Tips To Using The Buttons
- 1Power Button.Advertisement
- Press and hold the power button to turn the phone on and off.
- If the phone freezes due to error, press and hold the power button to restart the phone.
- Press the power once and the phone screen will lock or the screen will go to sleep.
- 2Menu Button.
- Tap to get additional options while you are in Messages, Email, Home Screen, etc.
- Tap and hold the soft Menu key to launch the S finder
- 3Home Button.
- Press once to go to the home screen.
- Press and hold to open the recent applications you were working with.
The Samsung Galaxy Note3 S Pen
Replacing the S Pen's Nib
If you keep on using the S Pen for multiple functions and many other actions, there are some instances that the S Pen's nib will become dull and you'll have to replace it. Replacing the nib is just as easy as taking your gloves off your hand and then putting your hand back into the glove. For easy directions, follow the steps below:
- 2Use "Tweezers" to hold the nib firmly then pull it out of the S Pen.
- 3Once the old nib has been removed, simply insert the new nib into the S Pen and wait until you feel a click then let go and insert the S Pen back into the phone and use it whenever you need it.
- 5Do not put too much force when inserting the nib in the S Pen.
- 6Do not insert the round end of the S Pen's nib as it can damage the S Pen.
- 7Once the rubber has been worn, it is best that you replace it and stop using the S Pen until you do replace it.
This doesn't meant you can actually use air commands the way you might think on your Samsung Galaxy Note3. Although it is called Air Command because you are not touching the phone screen directly with your fingers, you are using your S Pen to navigate or to select what is on your phone screen and so on. In order for you to have the Air Command on the screen, simply hover the S Pen to any part on screen and the Air command will be available. You can do the following tasks on your phone:
- 1Air Memo.
- You can write your memo using the S Pen like a real pen.
- You can also add or select a drawing to insert in your memo.
- Use your S Pen to select a portion of an image to save it in your Scrapbook.
- 3Screen Write.
- It is the same action as if you are making a screenshot on your phone.
- 4S Finder.
- You can search any of your phone's contents; a wide variety of contents.
- 5Pen Window.
- Open multiple Windows on the screen and drag the window to where you want it to reside.
Making a Memo Using S Pen
- 1Launch the Air Command.
- 2Using the S Pen, select "Create a Memo".
- 3Us the S Pen and double tap any part of the screen to launch the Memo Pad
- 4To add contacts or send messages, tap and hold the S Pen to the phone screen and draw a circle to activate various actions.
Making A Scrapbook
Please note that the scrapbook feature for the Samsung Galaxy Note3 may not be available in some areas. This is due to exclusivity of the phone model to a specific region or country that makes this feature available, and areas where it is not.
- 1Go to the website or YouTube video that is currently playing on the phone.
- 2Tap the Screen with your S Pen then select the "Scrapbooker".
- 3Draw a circle to the part you want to include in the scrapbook.
- 4Tap the check mark and everything till be saved.
- 5You can also put a memo or you can include tags and the link will be included as well.
- 6To view the scrapbook or images that you made, go to "Apps", then launch the "Scrapbook" app to check your collections.
Making Screen Write
Again, this is a screenshot for your phone. This is not the same as the regular screenshot as you can edit the picture by putting in memos, write on it and so on. Let just say that you saw a picture of a cat, and you find it so cute you want to share it with your sister or mother with a little bit of scribbled writings, then this will suit your needs.
- 1Go to a website where you want to take a screenshot (Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, VisiHow, etc.)
- 2Once you find an interesting page that you want to take a screenshot of, hover the S Pen on the phone screen and select the "Screen Write" The phone will automatically take a screenshot.
- 3Write what you need to write on the picture.
- 4If you want to check the picture, just go to your Gallery and open the Screenshot folder and take a look.
We admit that there are some instances when we cannot find the application we want to use on the phone. We might have saved the application to a place we can't recall, or saved the file after downloading it, etc. The S Finder will help you a lot to locate those files for better usage of the phone.
- 1Hover the S Pen.
- 2Then press the button on any part of the phone.
- 3Select the S Finder from the list of options.
- 4Type the keyword or the name of the file you're looking for and tap search.
- 5Check the results and view the file you are looking for.
If you are a person who's time is pretty precious and do not want to spend it all in one place, then the Pen Windows will suit your needs very well. Using the Pen window, you can simply create multiple Windows on your phone for you to Watch videos from YouTube, browse the internet, message friends, and other multi-tasking options.
- 1Take the S Pen out of the phone.
- 2Hover the S Pen to the phone screen (anywhere).
- 3Press the button.
- 4Nothing will happen on your phone screen. Draw a square the size you want for the other action.Select the Pen Window from the Air Command.
- 5Once you draw a square on your phone screen to the size that you want, select the apps you want to launch from the list, which will allow you to multiple task.
- 6You can create as many multiple windows as you want, provided they'll fit on your screen.